Thread: Is the WWE TOO Corporate with the core product?

Default Is the WWE TOO Corporate with the core product?

I've read elsewhere online people talking about the wwe has become too corporate and the corporate mindset has now befallen a percentage of the fan base with how they view the product. That it has become too corporate in comparison to the past although it has always obviously been apart of the promotion. I thought there were some interesting points made and not the regular wwe sux yadda yadda, but some serious issues that some don't like.

These are points that were made:
    -Fans worrying about what will draw instead of what would be more enjoyable and other
    -The shows are about a show about wrestling
    -The show is a long commercial that leads to other commercials with useless factoids
    -The problem with Cena is that he is more a spokesperson for wwe than a guy with a character although he's the main star
    -The company is only a commercial for itself
    -The company is doing much more than what wcw did in being corporate which it once accused the competitor of
    -Regardless of fan reaction pushes are given to stars the organization wants to push forward and vice versa
    -Nothing matters because the main selling point is the initials WWE and the wrestlers/stories within it are swallowed up the wwe universe's pockets that nothing should become bigger than the initials

So I ask has the the little promotion that could that went National in 1984 become too big of a corporation? It's an interesting topic to me since inherently the company reached to the place of domination with either wrestlers (Steve Austin who rose to power complaining about bureaucratic red tape similar to CM Punk with Pipe Bomb) or the boss himself(who proclaimed unfair big business tactics by Ted Turner which had fans seeing the wwf as an underdog in the Monday Night Wars which led to victory).

1999-2002 changed the business forever and are we now reaping the benefits or rewards of the victorious renegade organization of the NWA?

**This is not about wwe if one likes the current product or not, but about the way the corporate aspect plays into the decisions made with the core product. Whether or not it interferes with the quality of the entertainment.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: Is the WWE TOO Corporate with the core product?

I think corporate thinking has sanitized the product to some extent. Fans seem a lot less rowdy the action whilst entertaining is more... clean. It all feels like everything has been thought through to the slightest detail including who the main stars are and will be. I still enjoy it but it's a little bit rote these days.

*reads opening post*

Yes. You nailed it. Well done. Have a green rep, too.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

I think yesterday's opening segment in RAW was a good example of how WWE is doing things incorrectly lately. John Cena talking about the WHC feud for Wrestlemania? That's a job for Michael Cole not the lead baby face of the company who is in a feud with The Rock and CM Punk for the WWE Title. It may have been a two sentence throw away but it totally ruins the suspension of disbelief for viewers.

Also, John Cena's character was further sabotaged by having him book a match with CM Punk next week for a shot at the The Rock at Wrestlemania. We're told as fans that the Royal Rumble is a big deal, it has tradition, and it one of the top drawing PPVs year in and year out. Regardless they threw that all out the window once again just to book themselves out of this corner and make it to the next RAW. At the very least have a heel authority figure like Vicky of Heyman find some magic plot device to make the match not John Cena himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    *reads opening post*

Yes. You nailed it. Well done. Have a green rep, too.
    Thanks guys!

eajc_87 I agree about Cena just throwing away his guaranteed title match makes Cena and the stipulation look unimportant. I guess that falls into the "nothing matters" bullet point.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Would have maybe been slightly better if Punk winning meant he could be in the main event of Wrestlemania but not necessarily that Cena would be left out? Like a "if I can beat the Royal Rumble winner, then that proves I can be in the main event against the champion along with him."

Aye, but for the majority it always has been, at least with Vince Jr. in charge.

I wouldn't say TOO corporate though, for that to happen I'd say the PC bs would have to drive me away from the product. Most of the changes they've made haven't done that to me.

Absolutely great post OP I couldn't agree more.

Thread Information