Thread: How Many Casual Fans Read The Dirt Sheets?

Banned

Default How Many Casual Fans Read The Dirt Sheets?

We're always lead to believe that the vast majority of casual fans don't bother reading the dirt sheets or surfing through message boards or forums, but I wonder how accurate this is. Just a thought that occurred to me, but how exactly does an entire arena have signs about Jericho the night he debuts unless they've read about it on the internet? Or the way the entire arena was chanting Brock Lesnar's name the night after WM28, which shows that just about everyone in that arena clearly knew there was speculation that Brock was in town and possibly making an appearance. Or many other examples I could give.

Not that it would really make much difference, just a thought. I'd like to know where the apparent (to me, anyway) myth comes from that the casual don't read dirt sheets. Extending the logic to Hollywood, should we also be led to believe that casual movie goers don't buy the gossip magazines or watch the shows associated with celebrity gossip? Because that would be a stupid assumption, given how interested a lot of people clearly are in the personal lives of celebrities. Why should it be any different when it comes to gossip in wrestling?

Default Re: How Many Casual Fans Read The Dirt Sheets?

I think with Twitter and FB, these days they do more often pay attention to the Sheets. Whilst they previously wouldn't check out a wrestling site every day, today they'll follow on on Twitter and will automatically at least see a headline, even if they don't click on it.

Banned

I suspect it's still something of a minority. But not as much as it used to be.

Stop using the word "casuals." It's a term thought up by people in the minority.

There are two groups of fans: Traditional and Hardcore. When we say "casual" we diminish their passion as fans. When we say "smarks" it comes off as if those fans are jerks.

A lot of times some of the cities have their legitimate media make announcements that get to the majority. I mean to answer the Brock Lesnar scenario people in the city actually SEEN him. Something like that I don't doubt people go online to check and then see it all over in not just pro wrestling sites, but MMA sites too. Not to mention the online communities like twitter and facebook with people talking about it in their statuses.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    Stop using the word "casuals." It's a term thought up by people in the minority.

There are two groups of fans: Traditional and Hardcore. When we say "casual" we diminish their passion as fans. When we say "smarks" it comes off as if those fans are jerks.
    I agree completely. But those shorthands are so widely recognized that they're still useful.

But they are casual fans who appear to watch with casual interest.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    But they are casual fans who appear to watch with casual interest.
    Watching RAW and SD without discussing it all week doesn't mean you are a casual fan. Remember that was the norm for everyone before the internet age -- meaning they are still traditional fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    Watching RAW and SD without discussing it all week doesn't mean you are a casual fan. Remember that was the norm for everyone before the internet age -- meaning they are still traditional fans.
    That's not what I mean. I'm talking about people who pop up only when something big happens and stick around for it and then leave. To me a fan who watches all week every week is not a casual fan.

I take it as what Jake once told the boss that not everyone watches every episode and that booking shouldn't be made out to be that way(which is why we probably get all those recaps on the shows including ppv shows). Fans who check in every so often to see if there is anything they like.

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I don't think the casual fans read the dirt sheets per se...but I think they might listen out for rumors at times via social media.

Like if a rumor about something like Brock coming back is out on twitter or facebook they will pay attention to it, but I don't think they just go on sites and look for them.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Everything Burns UltimateSavior's Avatar

If they want their sanity intact, they wouldn't.

Stay away, casuals, stay faaaaar away. Save yourselves the trouble.

Never read one, wouldn't know how... If anyone wants to pm me a link though....

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateSavior View Post
    If they want their sanity intact, they wouldn't.

Stay away, casuals, stay faaaaar away. Save yourselves the trouble.
    The National Enquirer of pro wrestling. It's like trying to not pick it up at the grocery store cash line

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information