Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Changes To Lockdown PPV???

Default Major Changes To Lockdown PPV???

Credit: TNAsylum

During the Machinima Live Stream with Kazarian and Daniels, Kazarian stated that he believed that the format for Lockdown may be different this year. While Lockdown has traditionally seen all matches held inside a Steel Cage, Kazarian teased that it might only be the World Title Match and Lethal Lockdown inside a Steel Cage. When we get confirmation one way or another, we will let you know.

Credit to MisterTNA for the find.

UPDATE: PWInsider is now reporting that the plan for Lockdown is to have the two big main events inside the Steel Cage but have traditional undercard matches. This may however be in response to the original report and not something additional.
    If true I'm not really sure how I feel about this, on one hand I love the whole PPV being full of cage matches however on the other hand if it's just the TNA heavyweight championship and Lethal Lockdown matches taking place in the cage it'll make those matches feel more special.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Banned

Default Re: Major Changes To Lockdown PPV???

Oh no! TNA is copying a WWE idea!

How is it possible for them to ruin one of the 4 PPVs they have left?

Whatever happened the match with the X wrestlers? Those were unreal.

Notice me, Maddox Senpai Falcone's Avatar

And the cages will be 2 sided and take place in a 2 sided ribg, because 4 SIDES ONLY GOTCHOO SO FAR BROTHER°Ņ°

Fuck Hogan.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but ... dammit, give Falcy a modship!
    FALCONE 4 MOD 2027 (I'm being realistic)

Yet another thing TNA did that made them stand out in a good way is potentially being removed.

Way to go new regime, way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not

The video game draft final, Emperor vs Blindy

Episode 1 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Emperor

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Eh, I'm actually ok with this. In fact, they probably should have done this a long time ago... because cage matches feel like such standard matches in TNA these days. Specialty matches are supposed to feel special... and overdoing them just forces the wrestlers in a position where they have to do crazy and stupid shit just to keep the crowd happy.

Good move. You don't need every match to be represented in your PPV gimmick type. Makes the main event matches stand out and mean more.
    LETS GO XENA! XENA SUCKS!

/r/womenswrestling

Having every match in the PPV as a cage match was overkill and by the time it got to the main event the cage element no longer felt special or necessary.

Going forward TNA has to make gimmick matches feel like a special event, and not just throw them out on random Impact! shows. To be fair to them they've apparently done better in this respect as of late, when I used to watch I never understood why there would be random ladder matches, hardcore matches, Ultimate X matches etc thrown in for no real reason. It just ruined the concept of these matches as something unique.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

I don't like change.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Quote Originally Posted by Butters' Pitt View Post
    Whatever happened the match with the X wrestlers? Those were unreal.
    TNA has enough X guys to do it now? Let's see you have Robbie E, RVD, York, King, Ion, Sonjay, Kash, Chavo. Yeah you can do the escape match. I don't see it though cause TNA would then need to care about the X-Division for the first time since Aries dropped the belt... I wonder if July they will still have the X-Champion want to challenge for the world title and relinquish it.

Quote Originally Posted by MKPunk
    TNA has enough X guys to do it now? Let's see you have Robbie E, RVD, York, King, Ion, Sonjay, Kash, Chavo. Yeah you can do the escape match. I don't see it though cause TNA would then need to care about the X-Division for the first time since Aries dropped the belt... I wonder if July they will still have the X-Champion want to challenge for the world title and relinquish it.
    Sonjay? Kash? Why you gotta pour salt on those wounds? They aren't in TNA anymore! Oh, the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Sonjay? Kash? Why you gotta pour salt on those wounds? They aren't in TNA anymore! Oh, the pain.
    For my response to TNA, I had the microphone to Lily Aldrin...

Banned

The big matches should be cage matches. I mean, they already have Lethal Lockdown, which sums up the name of the PPV itself. Good move by TNA, imo. Let's see how this goes.

Isn't Lockdown consistently one of TNA's better selling PPV's? Why the hell would you do ANYTHING to mess with that?!

Even if some think it was overkill(a la Bill Meltzer), I think it at least took balls to have everything being in a cage. The idea was "allright tonight we Lock everybody up in a Cage!". You just have to come up with concepts that took place in one. As far as robbing the cage matchs of its uniqueness cause everything was in a cage, well THAT'S WHY YOU DO IT ONCE A YEAR, EINSTEIN.

The PW World Champion Mr. Victorino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zirich View Post
    Isn't Lockdown consistently one of TNA's better selling PPV's? Why the hell would you do ANYTHING to mess with that?!
    Good point, don't fix what ain't broken but I gonna go with everyone else that says they want the main events to feel special. Don't get me wrong I still see your point so let's hope this move works for the best. *crossing fingers*
    ďItís very, very important to be yourself, and thatís the kind of message that I want to get across in my character as well. On TV, thatís the message that I want to get across to fans of all ages really: To get somewhere you just have to be yourself. Donít ever change for anyone.Ē - Paige "The Anti-Diva"

The whole "main event's gotta be special, brother jack dude" is fucking bullshit. Because this PPV was special and unique.

Every match on the show was in the cage. Yes, even the Knockout Matches. Yes, even the tag team title match. Yes, even the second match on the show. It was THE ONE SHOW OF THE YEAR that did that. That's making an ENTIRE SHOW special.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to bust this gif out for TNA again, but it was due....

I don't get what the wrestling business has against the idea of making a complete show.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

Oh TNA fucking good shit up is what you do best.

Thanks Bender

The PPV would be special and unique if not for the fact that TNA already gives away cage matches for free on TV. Hell, there have already been two this year... and it's only February! Not only that, when every match is a freakin' cage match... that means the people in the next match have to do something even bigger and more dangerous than the last wrestlers just to leave a lasting impression on the crowd. And a lot of the time it's all for nothing.

The concept worked in the past... but now it's kind of lost its appeal. Hell, weren't there even rumors last year that Lockdown's buyrates took a hit?

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    The PPV would be special and unique if not for the fact that TNA already gives away cage matches for free on TV. Hell, there have already been two this year... and it's only February!
    Don't confound the stupity of TNA booking to the uniqueness of Lockdown. Of course giving away free cage matchs on tv is dumb but it's TNA.

Not only that, when every match is a freakin' cage match... that means the people in the next match have to do something even bigger and more dangerous than the last wrestlers just to leave a lasting impression on the crowd. And a lot of the time it's all for nothing.
    It's just a matter of making all the matchs special in their own right. You don't have to top the other match. Xcape match for instance was a spot fest where the X guys had to leave the cage to win. Lethal Lockdown is the War Game match with teams and lethal objects. Then you have the World title match. Also a tag match and a women match(wich can be different and awesome in their own right, remember the Gal Kim jump?). And then you do a no-hold's barred personal feud-type match.

The concept worked in the past... but now it's kind of lost its appeal. Hell, weren't there even rumors last year that Lockdown's buyrates took a hit?
    It was built on Storm vs Roode and it had the biggest buyrate of the year.

Notice me, Maddox Senpai Falcone's Avatar

I'm hoping the buyrate takes a hit. Even then, Hogan would probably see that as success somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but ... dammit, give Falcy a modship!
    FALCONE 4 MOD 2027 (I'm being realistic)

Quote Originally Posted by Butters' Pitt
    Don't confound the stupity of TNA booking to the uniqueness of Lockdown. Of course giving away free cage matchs on tv is dumb but it's TNA.
    Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

It's just a matter of making all the matchs special in their own right. You don't have to top the other match. Xcape match for instance was a spot fest where the X guys had to leave the cage to win. Lethal Lockdown is the War Game match with teams and lethal objects. Then you have the World title match. Also a tag match and a women match(wich can be different and awesome in their own right, remember the Gal Kim jump?). And then you do a no-hold's barred personal feud-type match.
    Now you're just stacking gimmicks on top of gimmicks. You sort of just proved they do indeed need to up the ante to top the other matches... using matches that could be used to draw interest for other PPV's.

Anyways, tag matches in a cage usually turn out a bit 'eh'. Especially since they usually follow the rules of a standard tag match... which seems incredibly stupid given that cage matches are supposed to be a 'No DQ' affair.

It was built on Storm vs Roode and it had the biggest buyrate of the year.
    Yes, but it allegedly had the lowest buyrate in comparison to all the other Lockdown PPV's. The PPV does have some name value.

One last thing, Destination-X is probably gonna have to go through some changes too. You can't have an all X event when you got so few PPV's now. Then again, they haven't really done an all X thing with Destination-X in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirich View Post
    Is that really saying much considering the pathetic buyrate of TNA's PPV's in general?

The lockdown concept is fine in theory but it isn't going to make or break the company if they only make 2 or 3 matches on the card cage matches as opposed to every single one. As whocares says, TNA give cage matches away for free on TV anyway, so is it really all that special?

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Thread Information