Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could this work?

Banned

Default could this work?

brock vs punk MMA style

with brock being in UFC and punk kinda has an MMA style to his matches.

Default Re: could this work?

NO! Brock was the UFC Heavyweight World Champ.

How about Brock vs. Punk in a pro wrestling match?

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

Well, that depends on what we're talking about. Do you mean a strong style match, primarily based more on strikes, mat game, and submissions than normal wrestling moves? Yeah, that could be awesome! But if we're talking like...in a cage/with rounds and only won by submission or KO....eh, I don't think it could be pulled off in pro wrestling quite right.

Realistically no. If they were in the UFC then Lesnar would be Heavyweight and Punk would probably be a Welterweight. Total mismatch.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

No it wouldn't, if they go by MMA rules they couldn't do it because they would be in different weight classes. I would love to see Brock have a MMA style fight with a WWE superstar how is in same weight class like a John Cena.

Dr. of Green Thumbanomics theshape31's Avatar

Oh no... I'm getting Brawl For All flashbacks.

They tried this with Angle and Joe in TNA it was shit.

Thanks Bender

They would be in the same weight class if they use build weight. Not sure what Punk's real weight is, but 218lbs is considered heavyweight in most sports.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

I'd love to see a 2 out of 3 falls strong style match between the two.

Horrible idea, anything less than CM Punk getting destroyed is way too unbelievable.

Banned

UFC fighters go to camp, cut weight, and are in a condition CM Punk would need until May to get ready for. Regardless of him rolling around with Eve Torres new family... He and Brock would need a catchweight......... Or- The WWE version. The Lion's Den match they had with Ken Shamrock. TNA had a couple of these matches with Angle vs Joe and AJ Styles vs Frank Trigg. They were both a disaster.

Most people showing how green they are as a wrestling fan or in a metal passe negated those details. But, they also didn't bring up CM Punk was in ROH with the PURE Title. Which is an adapted set of rules that are closer to MMA. Brock won 3 UFC belts off people. He took away a belt from Couture, Mir, and Carwin. Now, because of trademarks and copyrights, the WWE isn't foolish enough to have him bring one out. But, why would he?

Did anyone see what Brock did to Kendrick, London, Shawn Michaels, Matt Hardy, RVD, Spike Dudley, Jeff Hardy, Hurricane, Rey Mysterio, Benoit... He destroyed Eddie Guerrero until Goldberg decided to interfere. The guy is a man among men. And cruiserweights vs heavyweights are small children. Nash and Mysterio was fun back in the day for a goof on TV. But, when there is money on the line, and they pay Brock a lot, why would he sell or lay down for chump change like CM Punk?

Punk and his group lost a handicap match to the Big Show, Brock ran that giant over every time.
    Punk and his group were taken out by Orton 5 on 1... Brock ran Randy Orton over convincingly.
    The Rock defeated Punk for the belt after 3 men helped him... Brock took The Rock's title and sent him packing.
    CM Punk loses to The Undertaker at Hell in a Cell. Brock decimated Big Evil and left him in a pool of his own blood.
    CM Punk's biggest rivals were Chavo, John Morrison, Jeff Hardy, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, John Cena, and Triple H. They were all turned into dust at the hands of "Beast" Lesnar.

If anyone is willing to pay to watch that, it won't surprise me. However, considering them in a video highlight reel or statistically... Its a landslide. #NotNakamura

Punk is a good striker and has speed on his side, but he is not in the MMA league. If Brock were to really catch him he would be done for.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningWizard View Post
    UFC fighters go to camp, cut weight, and are in a condition CM Punk would need until May to get ready for. Regardless of him rolling around with Eve Torres new family... He and Brock would need a catchweight......... Or- The WWE version. The Lion's Den match they had with Ken Shamrock. TNA had a couple of these matches with Angle vs Joe and AJ Styles vs Frank Trigg. They were both a disaster.

Most people showing how green they are as a wrestling fan or in a metal passe negated those details. But, they also didn't bring up CM Punk was in ROH with the PURE Title. Which is an adapted set of rules that are closer to MMA. Brock won 3 UFC belts off people. He took away a belt from Couture, Mir, and Carwin. Now, because of trademarks and copyrights, the WWE isn't foolish enough to have him bring one out. But, why would he?

Did anyone see what Brock did to Kendrick, London, Shawn Michaels, Matt Hardy, RVD, Spike Dudley, Jeff Hardy, Hurricane, Rey Mysterio, Benoit... He destroyed Eddie Guerrero until Goldberg decided to interfere. The guy is a man among men. And cruiserweights vs heavyweights are small children. Nash and Mysterio was fun back in the day for a goof on TV. But, when there is money on the line, and they pay Brock a lot, why would he sell or lay down for chump change like CM Punk?

Punk and his group lost a handicap match to the Big Show, Brock ran that giant over every time.
    Punk and his group were taken out by Orton 5 on 1... Brock ran Randy Orton over convincingly.
    The Rock defeated Punk for the belt after 3 men helped him... Brock took The Rock's title and sent him packing.
    CM Punk loses to The Undertaker at Hell in a Cell. Brock decimated Big Evil and left him in a pool of his own blood.
    CM Punk's biggest rivals were Chavo, John Morrison, Jeff Hardy, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, John Cena, and Triple H. They were all turned into dust at the hands of "Beast" Lesnar.

If anyone is willing to pay to watch that, it won't surprise me. However, considering them in a video highlight reel or statistically... Its a landslide. #NotNakamura
    The first part is a solid argument. Worked MMA just doesn't work.

But then you got into kayfabe wrestling matches and I'm not sure what your point is. An MMA match isn't a great idea, but I think a wrestling match would be fantastic. You seem to be getting at this idea that Brock shouldn't sell for Punk in a wrestling match even. If we're talking about guys that could believably take Brock in a real fight, there are none. Brock's a legitimate badass. But it gets to the same point that Big Show shouldn't lose to anyone if it's a real fight. It's not real. It's pro wrestling. There's a suspension of disbelief involved.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Banned

Brock is SOMEWHAT more believable to beat up than Big Show. Punch him in the tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crippler View Post
    Brock is SOMEWHAT more believable to beat up than Big Show. Punch him in the tummy.
    Brock's believable for anybody. But pretty much everybody else should get destroyed by Show, or hell, even Khali for that matter.

"I like cake."

Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Banned

Which is funny that you say that, since Khali apparently DID take Show out in a fight

Banned

Brock sold for some of the people I listed. However, the end result remains the same.

I don't think there is anything to gain from the match, save a DVD chapter on someone's collection. Brock beat the holy hell out of Cena and Triple H. Can he sell for Punk, well it'd be more convincing if Shield helped or he was attacked and came in less than 100%. In the end no one talks about Brock vs Benoit or Rey Mysterio much that I see. Though, he and Benoit had a war. There is a difference in the kind of man whose guys are and the CM Punk character coming off a DVD of Vegan shakes and losing all his muscle mass from his ECW Title days. I don't see it. The Rock held up his arm and talked about time standing still for Punk. His bicep was as big as both of those on Brooks. Can Punk kick and stick and move and maybe weaken Lesnar... sure.

But we have never seen Punk take some big ass whipping to no end. So, that mystique of can he rope-a-dope Lesnar would be an evolution to his character... He can be pulverized and make a comeback. Not a successful one without luck or a perfect storm. But, a fan can dream about the dimensions it would bring to CM Punk's name if he stopped verbally thrashing everything in sight and took a couple fat lips for being a rowdy *sshole. In the end if you could take a beating it adds an endless depth to what fans can put behind you late in the fights. This is why Cena and Triple H's characters aren't seen in such a terrible fashion. Yeah, the have the machine, the same writing team, agents, and company letters as anyone else behind them. But, this staying healthy stuff is far too overrated. Give them some reckless Foley moments and live forever. The Rock was around for a handful of years, Austin too... These guys we compare Triple H and CM Punk too. They took beatings beyond belief from the Brothers of Destruction, Big Show, DX, and men with an intimate knowledge of punishing maneuvers. Today's sissy TV matches wouldn't come off with the guys being less of a tough guy, if they'd only turn up the volume once a month so the man who gets his hand raised had to put them through hell to come out on top. That's something I haven't heard people point out as to why this generation is constantly second-guessed against the Attitude Era.

So, is the TL;DR of that "Shorten guys' careers to make select matches more believable"?

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    They tried this with Angle and Joe in TNA it was shit.

Didn't Lockdown 2008 score TNA's biggest PPV buy rate ever (triple the usual buy rate?)

Banned

Each piece of that is a piece of why it matters. Bill Maher has an bit during his "Be More Cynical" special where he talks about the ambitious minds of people wanting to have drawn out mundane lives. You can live your 85 years. "But, give me 65 Sammie Davis [Jr] years."

That can be the lazy version for anyone who can't read 90secs worth of quality type vs taking into account valuable information. http://www.ehow.com/facts_7564845_av...ing-speed.html

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningWizard View Post
    Each piece of that is a piece of why it matters. Bill Maher has an bit during his "Be More Cynical" special where he talks about the ambitious minds of people wanting to have drawn out mundane lives. You can live your 85 years. "But, give me 65 Sammie Davis [Jr] years."

That can be the lazy version for anyone who can't read 90secs worth of quality type vs taking into account valuable information. http://www.ehow.com/facts_7564845_av...ing-speed.html

Spoiler
    But great to who? I don't think the Outlaws pushing a dumpster off the stage was necessarily a great moment in wrestling history, but plenty do. Likewise, there's plenty of moments that I would consider great that I don't think people would have the same reverence for.

I think the Cena/Punk matches have been absolute classics, and I'd put them up against any series. I'd certainly put them up against Shawn and Bret at Wrestlemania in terms of physicality. Shawn vs Bret was an endurance test, not the beatdown that you claim it to be.

I love Foley/Orton and Foley/Edge, and they're great spectacles, but I can't blame people for not wanting to fly through flaming tables and barbed wire boards and thumbtacks. That's Foley's thing, and it worked for him, but not everything has to be a hardcore bloodbath to be "epic." I don't think anyone's claiming that lives are at risk, but let's remember that Mick Foley retired at age 35 after he did what he did full time. Sure, he did some part-time stuff here and there afterwards, but that hard-hitting crazy style is absolutely a career-shortener.

I don't know what TNA has to do with this argument. TNA is a second-tier promotion. I don't mean that to knock TNA, but they are. They're not competition. They're not WWE.

You're speaking in a lot of rhetoric (and it's not all "quality type" as you put it), but epic moments are in the eye of the beholder.

"I like cake."

Banned

Thumbs up Re: could this work?

Spoiler

TL;DR - UPW vs OVW guys laying around with their strike fests are not hard working individuals. Epic moments don't feel like they go on forever to be leveled off with declining persona. Feuds build over time. Today's world has random stipulation matches. Cages that were used to keep people in because they ran away in the feud. Not because it is a PPV theme. I talk about the big picture then people ask why I am using things that are correlative. Well, I am not giving out Powerpoint files to walk you through anything. I didn't grow up in this No Child Left Behind era. The last time you heard about a backstage fight was? A WWE wrestler in a fight was? Hazing... anything? Why do you think Bruno is back. Because they made it soft enough for the retirees to enjoy. They could put the show on the CBS Network with the other PG dramas and everything would be fine. Brock vs Punk. Haha. Sub out any of the adjectives: http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/searc...ym&FORM=DTPDIA But, I am a little curious about some of the more colorful definitions and just what items Cryme Tyme didn't sell to the paying audience being used on Punk.

No. WWE's audience doesn't give a crap about MMA.

I can't see the fans buying it because realistically Punk would be destroyed by Lesnar. If WWE were to head in that direction and run an MMA style worked match and storyline then surely it would be Brock vs. Undertaker. Undertaker has said many, many times that if UFC was as big now as it was when he started wrestling he would have gone into MMA no questions asked. Undertaker already has some MMA moves in his arsenal and could be a believeable threat to Lesnar plus they have so much history together from Brock's initial run in the company.

Thread Information