Thread: Intercontinental Title might become main focus of Main Event

Default Intercontinental Title might become main focus of Main Event

- It was reported earlier that WWE may use Main Event to focus on the Intercontinental Title in the same way they use RAW for the WWE Title and SmackDown for the World Heavyweight Title. This would mean that the United States Title and the Tag Team Titles would float across all shows.

The Intercontinental Cup that may be brought back never got started on Main Event because of the arrival of Bo Dallas from NXT. Dallas being pushed is also the reason WWE changed their mind on one of the Royal Rumble surprise entrants.

Source: F4Wonline.com

I like the idea, but they shouldn't scrap people who are above the IC Title from being on the show either. Otherwise it'll turn into another Superstars.
    LETS GO XENA! XENA SUCKS!

/r/womenswrestling

Default Re: Intercontinental Title might become main focus of Main Event

This is great. They should have a title match each week on Main Event, if not than a number 1 contender match.

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Great way I feel to give precidence to the IC Title once again. I remember back in the day how the IC Title was a main attraction on Primetime and on Saturday mornings. Made every feel that it truly was a superior Title in the Industry.

Banner by-ThreadKiller

I approve of this idea. Especially considering it means Wade Barrett in frequent long matches for the time being.

Big supporter of this!

Could be just whats needed to add a little prestige to the title.

Thanks Heteroflexible

I dont like it.

You have two midard titles, one of which has basically been the main focus of Main Event with Cesaro being on nearly every week. Why only make it one?
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

I'm OK with this if it means the title is defended every week.

The Intercontinental Cup that may be brought back never got started on Main Event because of the arrival of Bo Dallas from NXT. Dallas being pushed is also the reason WWE changed their mind on one of the Royal Rumble surprise entrants.
    Hold up, Shelton Benjamin was rumored to be in the Royal Rumble match... if I didn't get a one off appearance of Benjamin because of Bo Dallas then Bo just earned a life time membership on my list of wrestlers I dislike.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I dont like it.

You have two midard titles, one of which has basically been the main focus of Main Event with Cesaro being on nearly every week. Why only make it one?
    Surely one is better then none?

Besides, if the IC is being used mainly on Main Event, it frees up more time for the US on the two main shows. The report somewhat inferred this.

Thanks Heteroflexible

Quote Originally Posted by David*Dream* View Post
    Surely one is better then none?

Besides, if the IC is being used mainly on Main Event, it frees up more time for the US on the two main shows. The report somewhat inferred this.
    Okay you basically have this system set up already just indirectly with the US title on ME. Why just make that official if its that important?

Besides, I don't buy the US title getting more time on RAW or SD. I feel like this whole decision is due to Bo Dallas.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

They've been giving the IC Belt to former World Champions and top level talent over the past year, so they've been trying to rebuild the belt for a while now. The U.S. Title has pretty much been the new European Title ever since Ryder won it. I think that Cesaro is outgrowing the U.S. Title and will drop it to a lower level guy shortly so he can move up the ladder.

Banned

Well then, guess I'm not going to be watching Main Event for a while.

I like this idea of sort of giving the Intercontinental Title a home show , somewhere that they will emphasize not only the title but a bunch of the midcard wrestlers.

And aside from that , I really don't watch Main Event anyways , which means I might get to see Wade Barrett less ... which is only good for me.
    -Bender-

2013 Sports Empire Most Valuable Poster
    2012 & 2013 Gridiron Poster of the Year

The way the have been jobbing Barrett lately means the IC title probably doesn't need to be on RAW for awhile

That being said, the IC title is my favourite midcard title of all time.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    The way the have been jobbing Barrett lately means the IC title probably doesn't need to be on RAW for awhile

That being said, the IC title is my favourite midcard title of all time.
    I'm a fan of the IC, but for me it's the United States Championship. Look at the list of stars who held the title and you'll find very few that were undeserving. A good number of them became World Champions.

Main Event should focus on all four lower-card titles (US, IC, Divas, Tag), not just one of them. The show would probably get stale if it just revolved around one championship.

surrender

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    Main Event should focus on all four lower-card titles (US, IC, Divas, Tag), not just one of them. The show would probably get stale if it just revolved around one championship.
    Agreed, I think that's why they made NXT have tag titles.
    - Credit: Bender -

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    Yes rotate them being defended weekly with a few #1 contender matches in there as well to keep things interesting. I'd definitely like that not just solely for the IC title.

I think that this would be a very good idea for them to do this. It would make Main Event more interesting to match. I'm starting to get sick of seeing Ryback and Cesaro on every Main Event episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    I'm a fan of the IC, but for me it's the United States Championship. Look at the list of stars who held the title and you'll find very few that were undeserving. A good number of them became World Champions.
    Justin, that's a very fair comment, especially when I compare the current US title to how it was handled back in the NWA/WCW days. Guys used to feud over it like it meant as much as the bigger belts. Magnum TA vs. Nikita Koloff is just one example of a great feud. I guess i prefer the IC title because I grew up with the WWF. We didn't get alot of NWA where I live.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Well then, guess I'm not going to be watching Main Event for a while.
    Why not. At least this way the belt could create storylines for the midcard. And it will add a bit off prestige too the belt and too Main Event.
    And at least now we can have less filler matches.
    And it would also be good too have 30 minute iron man match for the belt.

I am not the biggest fan of this idea as I don't think that the IC title should be pigeonholed to the one show. I also like how Main Event has been used so far in that WWE have actually been booking high profile matches on the show. I don't want it to go the direction that WWE Superstars went which by the end featured guys that struggled to get tv time on RAW and Smackdown.

I would much rather they alternate showcasing the midcard titles as suggested earlier. Why not show off all four other titles rather than just giving all the attention to the Intercontinental title?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyWS View Post
    I am not the biggest fan of this idea as I don't think that the IC title should be pigeonholed to the one show. I also like how Main Event has been used so far in that WWE have actually been booking high profile matches on the show. I don't want it to go the direction that WWE Superstars went which by the end featured guys that struggled to get tv time on RAW and Smackdown.

I would much rather they alternate showcasing the midcard titles as suggested earlier. Why not show off all four other titles rather than just giving all the attention to the Intercontinental title?
    I don't think they're pigeonholing the Intercontinental Championship. The IC Champ will probably still be on RAW and SmackDown. It's just that Main Event is going to be HIS show. That's why they put the title on a guy like Barrett, someone who carries himself like a top star despite having very little momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by TempestH View Post
    I don't think they're pigeonholing the Intercontinental Championship. The IC Champ will probably still be on RAW and SmackDown. It's just that Main Event is going to be HIS show. That's why they put the title on a guy like Barrett, someone who carries himself like a top star despite having very little momentum.
    But if they know that each week that the IC title will be the main showcase on Mainevent there is a very good chance that they will spend less time pushing it on the other brands. It won't disappear completely but it will become even less of a priority than it already is.

Thread Information