Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a mark are you?

Red face How much of a mark are you?

I suppose that for some in the industry (I'm not, but still want to be when I grow up) suggesting that they are a mark is percieved as an insult. That is in no way my intention with this thread. As someone who has always enjoyed this entertainment I have no problem explaining how much of a mark I am.

I'm such a mark that:

I think that the plastic surgeons did so much great work on Kanes burns and Cody Rhodes grotesquely disfigured face.

I believe that Ric Flair led a consortium to purchase WWE shares from Shane and Stephanie.

I was shocked at how much Mae Young's son had grown when I watched the thousanth episode of RAW.

I've practised for hundreds of hours to make fires by raising my arms slowly and bringing them down really fast, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I think the Peoples Elbow is one of the most devastating techniques ever.

I'm amazed that no match on a live broadcast has ever ended during a commercial break.

I asked my doctor if he could diagnose me with IED.

I have vivid memories of watching the tournament in Rio de Janeiro when Pat Patterson won the first Intercontinental Title.

So how much of a mark are you really?

Default Re: How much of a mark are you?

The meaning of the term "mark" has changed since the internet and the true end of kayfabe, so I'm still not sure if being a mark is a good thing or a bad thing. And to be honest, I don't think there is a correct answer to a mark being good or bad.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

What exactly defines a mark? Is it someone who actually believes what's taking place in the squared circle? I've been a wrestling fan for over 30 years and I'm still not clear as to what defines a mark.

But I am a fan. I love professional wrestling. I always have and I always will. And if that makes me a mark, then I proudly say I am a mark.

To me a "mark" means you have no problem suspending your disbelieve when wrestling is on. I consider myself a mark just because its more fun.

Bring back the fourth wall

I love being able to suspend my disbelief, but it gets harder and harder as the years go by. Near falls in the WWE almost never get me excited anymore because I pretty much always know when a guy's gonna kick out.

Banned

The Lesnar return from last year still gives me chills, and I'm on the edge of my seat for every Taker match at Mania.

I pretty much go into complete mark mode for anything Brock Lesnar or Undertaker do.

My biggest mark moment growing up was when I ripped Austin's poster off my wall, angrily crumbled it up and threw it in my closet when he turned heel at 'Mania 17.

I also was very scared for The Rock when Hogan rammed into the ambulance, which had Rock in it, with a semi-truck.

I don't think I am too much of a Mark. Ive learned to try to enjoy the product no matter what, but can also be critical of suspect wrestling/angles or decisions made by said company.

Other than being critical my marking out moments usually include returns(Jericho at Royal Rumble) and unexpected spots(Del Rio/Big Show spot at RR)

I ripped a Jeff Hardy poster off my wall when I found out he left WWE because he's a drugged up junkie. That's probably not being a mark, more being disgusted at a person's act in real life.

The Ultimate Fic'er
    Pro-Wrestling FEVER
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

I did mark out when Jericho appeared at the Royal Rumble this year.

Near falls STILL get me to this day. I have known that they will likely not end it in the bigger matches but still.

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

I always seem to agree with Chris Jericho's position on the issue: " stop being such a mark(smart-ass know it all) and just be a mark( a fan that eats up the awesome dynamic of Pro-Wrestling.)" It's cool to have some inside information, but I also get tired of the stupids who complain about the product, and yet still watch it. I remember in the latter part of 2008, I was done in my mind with professional wrestling and hated the product, bar Jericho and Shawn Michaels and Punk, and maybe a few other small things. For the first time since 1995-1996, I was tired of it. I cold turkey stopped watching, while maybe checking out 1 or 2 Raw's a year, and checking out the dirtsheets a couple times around Mania time. But, I didn't watch Wrestlemania 25 and Wrestlemania 26. I did watch Taker-HBK on Youtube the day after though. I came back to Pro-Wrestling in 2011 and due to Punk for the most part, I got excited again. Since then, I have been off and on, but I cannot deny one thing: I love this stupid carny business. It makes me smile. I enjoy sports and music and other forms of entertainment, but something about that good old pro-wrestling fires me up.

I usually stay away from spoilers. Much more enjoyable.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evans_Aki View Post
    I did mark out when Jericho appeared at the Royal Rumble this year.
    I jumped out of my seat and almost dropped my popcorn. Needless to say, my girlfriend was not amused.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

I'm not anywhere near the mark I used to be.
    I still remember when Jericho came back in 07, I went screaming through the dorm, I was so psyched.

I don't do that so much anymore.....

I marked out when Henry returned lol. I mark out for returns and debuts a lot but not the actual wrestling anymore sadly.

Wrestler related, I mark out for:
    Cody Rhodes
    Dolph Ziggler
    (most recently) The Shield
    Wade Barrett
    Daniel Bryan

I enjoy watching wrestlers rise to the top. So you can see why I don't have as happy of a reaction when vets come back to win.

mark out moments:
    a superkick
    counters/reversals (OMG I go crazy for those)
    a wrestler going through a barricade
    A wrestler being buried in rubble (like Kane or Big Show)
    shocking debuts or returns (Jericho's return has me going crazy, until I realized that he might just eliminate Ziggler)
    a slam or flip off the ladder
    a modified version of a move off the top rope/side of the ring/table/ladder/etc.
    introductions to a new move (really liking Sheamus' submission, Texas Leaf Clover I think it's called?)

Acting like a mark:
    Hating on The Rock
    Hating on Triple H
    Supporting the heel
    Hating on Jerry Lawler
    Hating when a wrestler tries to cash in their briefcase, but gets attacked
    Voicing opinion out loud of how the match will probably end, in anger
    Hating on Ryback
    Hating on how easily people think that name calling is a nice diss
    Hating on Big Show
    Hating on face GM's
    WWE: IT'S NOT A FANDOM, IT'S A FAMILY
    The Shield on Crack 3 (The End)
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

I occasionally mark out for a big return, a recent example being The Rock, but otherwise the only things I truly mark out for are awesome moves. I know I will go crazy if Swagger ever busts out the Doctor Bomb again. I usually pop for Del Rio's german suplex. I pop for sick lariats when watching AJPW matches. And so on.

The PW World Champion Mr. Victorino's Avatar

I'm such a mark that I have every ppv / big event for all the well known names of wrestling on dvd from january of 1995 to january of 2013 baby !!
    Every WWF / WWE from 1995 - 2013
    Every WCW from 1995 - 2001
    Every ECW from 1995-2001
    Every TNA from 2002-2013
    Every ROH from 2002-2013
    and Ever Shimmer Women's Athletes from 2005-2012

If that ain't a damn mark I don't know what the hell is any more. lol
    ďItís very, very important to be yourself, and thatís the kind of message that I want to get across in my character as well. On TV, thatís the message that I want to get across to fans of all ages really: To get somewhere you just have to be yourself. Donít ever change for anyone.Ē - Paige "The Anti-Diva"

I cried when i found out wrestling was fake true story i was in 1st grade

Mr. Victorino you win! That's a fantastic collection! Congratulations.

Like a few others have noted, I love returns as well. I popped for Jericho at the Rumble and got chills when Mark Henry's music hit.

Greywolf: I have really been loving it how many times Ziggler has gone to cash in MITB and been stopped. I've found it hugely entertaining It's going to shock me when his MITB contract match actually begins now.

I quite like to be able to suspend my disbelief. I wish I could go back to thinking of the show the way I did when I was young before I learned so much about it sometimes.

I'm a mark for sure. It's just more fun when you just sit back and watch. I've known pretty much that wrestling was scripted my whole life, but that didn't stop me from watching and being entertained, and it never will stop me. I'm a wrestling fan and a mark for life.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u532/JeriKane1998/Signatures/8b10bc60-0ea6-4836-ad84-819497402667_zps5d23e921.jpg

Made by me! And I made it too big.

The PW World Champion Mr. Victorino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeriKane1998 View Post
    I'm a mark for sure. It's just more fun when you just sit back and watch. I've known pretty much that wrestling was scripted my whole life, but that didn't stop me from watching and being entertained, and it never will stop me. I'm a wrestling fan and a mark for life.
    Amen ! Preach it....
    ďItís very, very important to be yourself, and thatís the kind of message that I want to get across in my character as well. On TV, thatís the message that I want to get across to fans of all ages really: To get somewhere you just have to be yourself. Donít ever change for anyone.Ē - Paige "The Anti-Diva"

I marked out last night when Mark Henry slammed that little shit, Hornswoggle. Wished he did again.

Thread Information