Thread: If you were the WWE, is releasing Rey Mysterio a bad idea?

Banned

Default If you were the WWE, is releasing Rey Mysterio a bad idea?

I mean, let's face it. The guy has been on and off the IR for the past five years too frequently. You can't build anything around him because he's too unreliable. He's done fuck all for two years. He's being paid a large sum of money for nothing.

However, he's a still a merchandise seller, though not as much as before. He's still over. And he's still capable of putting on great matches from time to time. He's still somewhat of a draw.

With the emergence of Alberto Del Rio, does the WWE really need to be putting forth the time and money into Rey, when he's really not giving it back (not being unfair, I know it's injuries and substance abuse - I actually think he's been suspended and they're keeping it quiet)? COULD they release Mysterio?

The biggest question is...IF they did, and TNA were to pick him up, how big of a help would that be for them, if at all?

Default Re: If you were the WWE, is releasing Rey Mysterio a bad idea?

I doubt he would go to TNA even if they released him - it wouldn't be worth his while especially in his physical condition.

He's got one run left, they'll obviously want to do the Sin Cara match and possibly another couple of big singles matches (Mysterio vs Cesaro would be something I'd love to see). It's a shame that the last part of his career has fizzled out a little bit because of the injuries, but my word what a career it's been.

Yeah he is a merchandise seller, but the ultimate question is does he make enough money in merch to justify his contract. I do think it is time for him to step aside and maybe hang up the mask. He has been wrestling since he was like 14-16 years old, and lets face it high-flyers dont have the longest of careers. For him to still be going like he is (minus the more often than not IR) says something. But I do think its just time for him to pass the torch to Sin Cara as the main masked man.

TNA would try and make him something he doesnt need to be of course. But to tell you the truth, I think if he was let go from WWE he actually retire to the occasional guest appearance in WWE and Mexico.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

I wouldn't release him just yet. I wouldn't renew his next contract though, unless it expires very soon then i'd offer him a year. Until Del Rio is a solid and reliable draw for the South American viewership then i'd keep Rey around. However once Del Rio and/or Sin Cara are fit to take his spot, i'd release him. His body doesn't allow him to work the WWE schedule and he is past his best. He's had a fabulous career though and does still have one or two important matches left in him I feel.

Don't think he'll ever go to TNA - no point. He'd still be valuable to WWE in terms of the occasional guest appearance and any other external commitments so I assume they'd want him around in some way.

I think sadly Rey is at the end of his useless life as a wrestler. I would not release him, but I would not offer him a new contract when his is up...

I don't think Rey is entirely useless. He doesn't have to hang it up for good just yet, but I think that it's about time that he consider officially becoming a part time wrestler. He could just work a limited schedule and they can just use him to get the big pops and put people over, but don't depend on him for any major storylines.

I don't think it would make a difference if he went to TNA. If Sting, Hulk Hogan, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, and RVD can't boost TNA up to being a threat to WWE, nothing will.

Banned

Rey has been hurt his entire career. Go back and watch WCW, Hes never on.

Yes.

There is money to be made, from the latino market, definitely, with running a big retirement angle first.
    baboosh

He's still selling merchandise, so that's one big reason to keep Rey around. Also if he were to get released, that could put Rey and WWE on bad terms, possibly for the rest of Rey's life.

If anything, they'll bring him back just so that he can have one more match with Sin Cara at a Wrestlemania. All he'd have to do is promos on Raw/Smackdown leading up to the match.

I could see him doing maybe 2 years in TNA if they picked him up. The schedule is lighter, so that might appeal to Rey and make him want to work more. But there's not really anything special for Rey to do over there IMO. Ehh.... Who knows...

It woulda been nice to see Rey given a run with the WWE title but he never really got much of a chance, he got a night with the title before they put it on Cena...they could've at least waited a week, even Kane's title reign was longer than that

But yeah I think he'll have his match with Cara and maybe that'll be his retirement match since he doesn't seem to be around much. At the moment he's off due to family issues and WWE has said to be fine with him taking time off, what the issues are though I don't know.
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

I would not offer him a new contract. I wouldn't release him outright, but this would be his last full-time active contract.

I'd let him get a retirement storyline and make sure Sin Cara gets all he can from him, but at this point, how much merchandise can be sold for a guy who is barely around?
    Just wait and see how it plays out, guys.

I think they've given up on cara which is why Del Rio has had a sudden face turn and WHC title push
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I would be okay with Rey going to TNA for a short while if they would actually utilize him correctly.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Banned

To be fair, Falcone, I'm not suggesting to release him, right now. A big retirement angle when he comes back would be acceptable by me. Heck, if you want to give him and Cara a run with the tag belts, before having him say that he wants to go for the WWE/WHC Title. He comes up short on the first try, and then the "Retirement Stipulation" comes in to play and he comes up just short again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    I would not offer him a new contract. I wouldn't release him outright, but this would be his last full-time active contract.

I'd let him get a retirement storyline and make sure Sin Cara gets all he can from him, but at this point, how much merchandise can be sold for a guy who is barely around?
    Well here's the thing: We're all guessing. Unless I have the figures in front of me, it's an impossible question. Anyone dolling out certitude in this thread is going about this the wrong way.

Back for the first time. T-Money's Avatar

Screw Cara, push Hunico when he returns from injury.

Well I think its about time that WWE and Rey Mysterio part ways.He has been injury prom the last few years,failed his drug test twice and is one strike away from being released and to top it off is now have sometype of personal problems.Just a lot of stuff adding up that are making him more of a headache then what he's worth.

Depending on how this Alberto Del Rio turn works out and how over he gets I think they should build up to a match between the two as a "Passing of the Torch" were Rey Rey puts him over and then retires or is released by the WWE.

Banned

Didn't they release Jeff Hardy even though he was selling a ton of merchandise? Or did he quit?

I wouldn't release Mysterio, but it would hardly (at this point) be a huge loss if he quit or got fired. He hasn't been extremely relevant on the show for quite some time. He also wouldn't help TNA really much at all. Christian, Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, Booker T., Kurt Angle, Dudleys, etc. didn't really raise the ratings for TNA, I doubt Mysterio would either.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPresley21 View Post
    Well I think its about time that WWE and Rey Mysterio part ways.He has been injury prom the last few years,failed his drug test twice and is one strike away from being released and to top it off is now have sometype of personal problems.Just a lot of stuff adding up that are making him more of a headache then what he's worth.

Depending on how this Alberto Del Rio turn works out and how over he gets I think they should build up to a match between the two as a "Passing of the Torch" were Rey Rey puts him over and then retires or is released by the WWE.
    I would not fire someone for personal problems. That is never a nice thing to do. I rather see his contract continued but they mutually decide to not continue.

As for Jeff Hardy, he left WWE on his own accord because he was done with WWE (for whatever reason)

Is it a merchandise issue, yes but he is pretty broke down compared to his WCW days. Even into his World Title run he was enjoyable. Now he is meh. And this comes from a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Yes.

There is money to be made, from the latino market, definitely, with running a big retirement angle first.
    He could pass the mask to Sin Cara and he can be Rey Mysterio Jr.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

What ever happened to setting the Guinness World Record for most masks worn???

Banner Credit: Spike

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

Wrestling wise, eh, could release him and not really notice him being gone (which he is most of the time anyway).

Business wise, horrible idea to release him. Pushes tons of merch, is a draw for kids (which equal at least 2x tickets because someone has to bring them) and opens the door for a market.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    What ever happened to setting the Guinness World Record for most masks worn???
    They (Sin Cara and Rey) were both injured at WM28 weren't they? Or one of them was, not that that's a surprise. Wouldn't surprise we if WWE try it again at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeki View Post
    They (Sin Cara and Rey) were both injured at WM28 weren't they? Or one of them was, not that that's a surprise. Wouldn't surprise we if WWE try it again at some point.
    I think its definitely worth doing for WWE. They could get some mainstream exposure for it, an I could be really fun too.

Banner Credit: Spike

Thread Information