Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Lawler prefers Attitude Era and speaks on The Shield etc.

Default Jerry Lawler prefers Attitude Era and speaks on The Shield etc.

The New York Post has an interview with WWE Hall of Famer Jerry "The King" Lawler, who was promoting WrestleMania coming to New Jersey in April. Here are a couple of highlights:

Current era vs. the Attitude Era: "I honestly feel, in my own personal opinion, that during the Attitude Era our roster was stronger. I just think that there were stronger, from top to bottom of our roster, characters and Superstars than we have now. We certainly have guys now that are capable of moving the ball and getting the job done with CM Punk, John Cena, Big Show, Randy Orton and other guys that are being featured right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not casting dispersions on these guys at all, but when you look back at the Attitude Era, there was some of the biggest names in the history of this industry. I don't think anybody will argue with the fact that there may not be anyone who could fill the shoes of The Rock or Stone Cold. Those are two guys right there that were in their heyday that we have not seen the likes of since and we may never see the likes of those guys again."

The Shield: "I think that what they've done with those guys and the way they have been presented has been very good in making a fast impact. I think now their characters need to be a little more developed, in other words, let's see a little more about these guys as individuals. You can of course still keep them as a unit but you can also hear more from them... I think you'll agree that the Nexus shot up fast and got to that certain level and then it just kind of petered out. I would hate to see that happen to these three guys and that's why I say it needs to go to that next level and I feel like in order to do that they'll need to have a little bit of a different kind of exposure other than just those hit-and-run type things."

Lawler also discussed WrestleMania, his favorite part of the 20th anniversary of RAW, who the next big name is in WWE and much more.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...iU1YTUZBy7YM/2
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: Jerry Lawler prefers Attitude Era and speaks on The Shield etc.

For all the flack Lawler has gotten lately, he is right on in this interview, I agree with him on most things he says there.

His honesty is also very refreshing, it's rare someone currently on the roster says something was better in the past. Cena though is pretty close to Rock and Austin, maybe not right at their level, but close.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Back in the saddle. Heartburn Kid's Avatar

Waiting for the smarks to come in and bash a guy that lived behind the scenes to say that they're right and he's wrong.

Hard to call him wrong when he clearly says it's his opinion...

Can't say I disagree with him.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

'Course he loved the Attitude Era. He got to shout "PUPPIES" all the time.

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

Is it really news that Jerry Lawler prefers the Attitude Era to this one?

All you have to do is listen to five minutes of his commentary from each era, and you can easily tell the difference.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartburn Kid View Post
    Waiting for the smarks to come in and bash a guy that lived behind the scenes to say that they're right and he's wrong.
    Or the infamous, "But but but...we're all looking at the Attitude era with rose colored glasses." I mean it couldn't have been THAT good??

Yes, this is Jerry Lawler's opinion... which the vast majority of people in and out of the business seem to share.

I do agree that Cena is pretty close to Austin/Rock, but not quite there.

Banned

Well, the vast majority of people in and out of the business can kiss my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Is it really news that Jerry Lawler prefers the Attitude Era to this one?

All you have to do is listen to five minutes of his commentary from each era, and you can easily tell the difference.

ha Soooo true, you can really tell back in the day he was into the product, now he just seems to go through the motions.

Thanks To Hayze

Who WOULDN'T want to be able to ogle: Terri Runnels, Sable, Stephanie, Lita..and all of the rest of the big ( o Y o ) women??

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Hard to call him wrong when he clearly says it's his opinion...
    True, but this is the WWE forum. Don't put it past people.

Notice me, Maddox Senpai Falcone's Avatar

I'm not going to say he's wrong, after all it's his opinion.

I do however, not share said opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    I'm not going to say he's wrong, after all it's his opinion.

I do however, not share said opinion.
    Meh. Attitude era wasn't perfect but it can't be denied that rasstlin was red hot during that time. Ratings don't lie. It was definitely more exciting, at least to me. (And the millions that tuned out apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by Steeda90GT View Post
    I do agree that Cena is pretty close to Austin/Rock, but not quite there.
    He's nowhere near them. Austins best year was roughly twenty million dollars. Cena's best year is roughly 5-8 million. And even after Cena eventually surpasses Austin, it will have taken him over ten years to do it.

Banned

Source?

John Cena isn't at Rock's fame because he hasn't been in any movies worth mentioning. He did what he could for WWE productions, but most to all of those films were straight to DVD. He hasn't been in any big pictures where you could talk to a non wrestling fan about. Nor does he probably want to be in one. He cares about the WWE, not movies. Not bashing The Rock about wanting to be in movies, just saying why Cena won't ever be as famous as The Rock.

He isn't at Austin's fame with the fans, because a few reasons. The main being, he took down most to all of the smarks favorites, which Austin was only doing as they were becoming big. Cena was taking on Angle, Jericho, Triple H, and Edge after their long tenure with the company. Austin took them all on as they were trying to make their names into the main event (not counting Edge from that list). Not to mention his epic rivalries with Rock and Vince McMahon. Would Austin maybe have gotten the same love if he was taking down Macho Man, Hulk Hogan, Razor Ramon, and Michaels (if he hadn't had to leave for severe injury reasons after their Mania match) on his way to the top? Who knows.

My opinion anyways.
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

The hate in this thread is disappointing. Lawler has every right to say what he wants, just like I have every right to disagree with him.

I'll just say this, there were bad things as well as good things in the attitude era, neither side should be glossed over to suit an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Come one, come three and sign up for PW King Of Trios http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124872

PW Power 25 winner July 2014

The 2014 PW video game draft http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124821

Banned

I'm not saying Lawler's wrong. I just disagree with him to the degree of a knife fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    The hate in this thread is disappointing. Lawler has every right to say what he wants, just like I have every right to disagree with him.

I'll just say this, there were bad things as well as good things in the attitude era, neither side should be glossed over to suit an argument.
    I find it interesting how modern day wrestling fans have just grown sick and tired of hearing about how much better wresting used to be. I'm honestly on the fence about whether or not the product is better today. Strictly speaking WWE, I don't think there is any doubt that the actual "Wrestling" is better in today's WWE from top to bottom. I seen more good matches on the "Best of Smackdown & Raw 2011" set on netflix than I did from Raw in 97, 98, and 99 combined. With that said though, there's no doubt that the main event scene was much, much, much better during 97 and 98. The characters and storylines were far more entertaining. The Shield ain't got shit on the Hart Foundation. Pillman > Ambrose.

Am I missing something? All Jerry Lawler said with regards to The Attitude Era was that it had a stronger roster. He didn't just go out and say that The Attitude Era is better in every way, nor did he say he preferred The Attitude Era.

I loved the Attitude Era, but from top to bottom, I think as far as wrestling talent is concerned, the roster is much better now and has been for a while. Whether on free television like Raw or Smackdown (or the lesser shows) or paying for PPVs, matches almost always deliver.

In terms of star power, yeah, it's not the same comparison at all.

Lawler liked it because he got to see and shout "Hot Lesbian Action"
    - Winner of the World Cup 2014 Sweeps -

Banned

To be fair, Shin, Pillman was A) Allowed to be crazier, and B) Actually psychotic.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    I loved the Attitude Era, but from top to bottom, I think as far as wrestling talent is concerned, the roster is much better now and has been for a while. Whether on free television like Raw or Smackdown (or the lesser shows) or paying for PPVs, matches almost always deliver.

In terms of star power, yeah, it's not the same comparison at all.
    I agree that the quality of Wrestling is better now, the bottom guys on the roster now are better wrestlers than some of the midcarders of yesteryear
    The thing that made the Attitude era so awesome was the absolute "Got to watch next week" because you had no idea what was going to be happening but you knew it was going to be awesome... That hasn't been in in the WWE for a while

Thread Information