Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cena's absolutely awful promo on Raw.

Default Cena's absolutely awful promo on Raw.

inb4 "just another Cena hate thread"

So I'm not sure what the reaction in the Raw party thread was, but my goodness what on earth was that promo. I honestly think that could have been one of the worst promos I have ever heard from someone who can actually talk on the mic. How on earth a guy like Cena who is able to cut a fantastic promo can come out and serve up something like that is beyond me. Given some of the material that we know he's written himself has been excellent over his career, it's baffling that someone who obviously has a level of control would let himself get that stuff written for him. And if that wasn't written for him and was him being told to improvise for a bit before plugging the Rumble, then my god.

The Observer was reporting that it was even a topic of discussion backstage about just how awful it was, and that really doesn't surprise me at all because it was that bad.

The only thing that could even remotely justify how terrible it was, would be if it was some sort of allusion to a heel turn. I guess you could read it as Face Cena pretending to be Heel Cena by reducing the audience to three stereotypes and basically mocking them while pretending that it was all a joke - but I think that's reading much too far into it. What a horrible ending to Raw for the go home Rumble show. They would have been better off ending the show after the Shield/Rock beatdown.

PS. No focus on Ryback in the resulting brawl was terrible too.

Banned

Default Re: Cena's absolutely awful promo on Raw.

I liked it. I love when Cena just goes all "Fuck it all, I'm John Cena and I'm just going to have fun tonight and fuck everybody else and what they think". Basically, I love when Cena goes so over-the-top with his act that he basically spits in the face of his haters.

And I told Champ, the WWE's gotten into this habit the past few years of making the obvious guy NOT win the Rumble and downplay the Rumble winner in the weeks before the Rumble. I believe they put little focus on Ryback last night for that very reason: He may be winning.

The only problem with Ryback winning is that it doesn't fit in anywhere with the current title picture.

Knows he isn't welcome

The reaction in the party thread was the usual, an overall less throught-out, overexaggerated, resentful wave of hate.

I personally enjoyed it, because it was so bad it was hilarious, Cena being self-aware and uncaring pleases me, and I naturally loved Cena making fun of the Cena hater stereotype. But yes, it was bad, and Im not sure if WWE will ever remember how to let Cena be awesome again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe L. View Post
    And I told Champ, the WWE's gotten into this habit the past few years of making the obvious guy NOT win the Rumble and downplay the Rumble winner in the weeks before the Rumble. I believe they put little focus on Ryback last night for that very reason: He may be winning.

The only problem with Ryback winning is that it doesn't fit in anywhere with the current title picture.
    I can see your point here a little bit, but I think that what happened to him on Raw was more damaging than any of his losses that a lot of people have been complaining about in destroying his aura. Something like the brawl beginning in the ring, only for Ryback's music to hit a few moments later and for guys in the ring to freeze a little bit before he comes in and cleans house would have been appropriate. Having him there in the ring completely anonymous was very strange and made him seem like just another guy.

And for the record I don't want him to win the Rumble, and complete agree with your point about him not fitting into any potential WM title matches.

It was okay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hr View Post
    I can see your point here a little bit, but I think that what happened to him on Raw was more damaging than any of his losses that a lot of people have been complaining about in destroying his aura. Something like the brawl beginning in the ring, only for Ryback's music to hit a few moments later and for guys in the ring to freeze a little bit before he comes in and cleans house would have been appropriate. Having him there in the ring completely anonymous was very strange and made him seem like just another guy.

And for the record I don't want him to win the Rumble, and complete agree with your point about him not fitting into any potential WM title matches.
    I agree. Even if they had hit his music right after 3MB coming out, and had them run right into the ring out of fear, and the brawl to START from that point, would have been better than what they did.

Cena's promo was bad/outlandish on purpose. WWE is planting the seeds for his heel turn. Remember when Rock said his WM 29 match will be huge? It will be huge because it will be Rock facing a heel John Cena.

It was different and somewhat funny. I found it refreshing and entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Come one, come three and sign up for PW King Of Trios http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124872

PW Power 25 winner July 2014

The 2014 PW video game draft http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=124821

It wasn't good.

I think John gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here. The Super Cena narrative took a big hit this past year, because it wasn't the same old John Cena prevails all the time year, but people still treat it like it is regardless. I think he's an excellent worker, and I think he works really good main event style matches against anybody with a pulse.

That being said, there are two John Cena's when it comes to the microphone. I said this a couple weeks ago about Rock's return promo, and I'm just going to post it again here because a) I think very highly about my own opinions and b) I think it describes why I hate John Cena's promos quite a bit.

And BTW, I thought Rock was incredible tonight. Even the catchphrases had a point. Somebody pointed out that if Cena did it, people would be furious, and while I see that point, I disagree. The problem I have with John Cena's comedic delivery is that he's not able to work comedy into a serious promo. He kind of shifts into different gears, now I'm being funny and goofy faces, but then I'm serious John Cena. The Rock has the gift, as ridiculous as it sounds, of calling somebody cookiepuss while retaining that pissed off edge. There was never a point in the promo where I thought that The Rock wasn't taking Punk seriously, which is a problem I have with John Cena a lot. In a grudge feud, both opponents should be taken seriously, and comedy can be used, but it should be used as a tactic, not as pandering to the crowd.
    When he does this kind of thing, it comes across like he does not give a shit about (insert main event match here). If that's his character, fine, but why should I get invested in the results of John Cena's matches if he doesn't seem to care that much about it?

I'm not looking for all serious all the time, but there's a way to weave comedy into a serious promo. It doesn't have to be an e-fed I'M ANGRY NOW promo. The truly great promo workers find a way to make it work within their own style. John Cena is charismatic as hell, but for the last year or so, his promos have been at an all-time worst.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

I believe Cena will turn heel. When he does I'm sure he will hit the point hard that it's WWE brass that makes him say corny shit. If Cena were to shoot on how WWE makes him do stupid things it would be totally believable.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    I believe Cena will turn heel. When he does I'm sure he will hit the point hard that it's WWE brass that makes him say corny shit. If Cena were to shoot on how WWE makes him do stupid things it would be totally believable.
    So once again, people want Cena to turn heel and then say things that will make him get cheered.

As always, a sound strategy.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    So once again, people want Cena to turn heel and then say things that will make him get cheered.

Haha yep. What he said this week was much more heelish than what Justin is proposing (which would work about as well as his ridiculous CM Punk title idea). You could hear some pretty vocal boos throughout his promo, and that's not surprising because a) some of the jokes were god awful, b) he was basically making fun of the three main types of WWE fans.

Why are you fighting a Cena heel turn? Face it, his character is stale as fuck. Also, if Cena turns heel you do realize the traditional fans will boo him (young kids, females, etc) and the smarky fans will cheer him. Cena's heel turn will reverse his cheering reactions.

When Cena goes heel he will finally address those that boo him. I'm sure he will throw his own pipe bombs out there. Those types of promos will get the smarks to cheer him while the other fans will boo him. This isn't hard to understand.

Why are you fighting a Cena heel turn? Face it, his character is stale as fuck. Also, if Cena turns heel you do realize the traditional fans will boo him (young kids, females, etc) and the smarky fans will cheer him. Cena's heel turn will reverse his cheering reactions.

When Cena goes heel he will finally address those that boo him. I'm sure he will throw his own pipe bombs out there. Those types of promos will get the smarks to cheer him while the other fans will boo him. This isn't hard to understand.
    If Cena turns and then still gets split reactions, what exactly did the turn accomplish?

The problem with half the Cena heel turn ideas out there is that people want him to turn heel so that they can cheer the guy, which is all kinds of ass backwards. If they do the turn, they should do it in a way that gets him booed by the entire audience.

HAYZE

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

If Cena turns and then still gets split reactions, what exactly did the turn accomplish?

The problem with half the Cena heel turn ideas out there is that people want him to turn heel so that they can cheer the guy, which is all kinds of ass backwards. If they do the turn, they should do it in a way that gets him booed by the entire audience.
    No!

Don't focus on who Cena is catering to when he turns heel. Focus on the character change of John Cena. The mixed reactions will always be there. If Cena drops the comedy act, gets serious, drops pipe bombs, gets aggressive/brutal he will be an awesome heel. Think of the feuds he can have: Sheamus, Miz, Rock, Del Rio, Bryan, Kofi.

Banned

I'm not really against the Cena heel turn. I'm against him saying things that will get him cheered, and the notion that every heel needs to shoot, to get heat nowadays.

I'm not really against the Cena heel turn. I'm against him saying things that will get him cheered, and the notion that every heel needs to shoot, to get heat nowadays.
    Cena shooting will probably be the first promo he does after turning. What we want to see as fans is an aggressive Cena. That doesn't mean shooting every week. I want Cena to drop the corny act and instead adopt an act similar to what Hogan did with the NWO -- cold, bitter, crude, arrogant.

No!

Don't focus on who Cena is catering to when he turns heel. Focus on the character change of John Cena. The mixed reactions will always be there. If Cena drops the comedy act, gets serious, drops pipe bombs, gets aggressive/brutal he will be an awesome heel. Think of the feuds he can have: Sheamus, Miz, Rock, Del Rio, Bryan, Kofi.
    You're arguing solely based on what you want to see here. And while I understand the desire to see a different Cena than the one we've seen, it's not smart booking to turn him and then make him a shooting badass so that he can get the exact same split reaction. It accomplishes absolutely nothing, along with sacrificing the other things that come along with John Cena being a face (merchandise sales to kids/women, Make-a-Wish, having that key PR guy and positive face of the organization).

If you're going to sacrifice those things, you have to gain something. A Cena heel turn is completely and utterly pointless if he's just going to get reversed reactions, period.

There are ways to do it that will get him booed by everybody. One of them, which I've been a huge proponent of, is having him end Undertaker's streak.

HAYZE

Cena is not one of "those" stars.
    He gets cheered because he is the guy the WWE want people to cheer for, if he was a heel they would boo him just as quick.
    There's very very few stars with the ability to make the fans cheer them no matter what, mostly it's because they can work the mic with such charisma that people can be pissed off and cheer at the same time. It was one of the rare gifts of the Rock and the only wrestler on the roster who may end up the same way is Punk.

Cena is a company man to his own detriment, Rock and Austin weren't afraid to defend their image and say "No" to things. In the long term it served Vince because his talent didn't let him destroy them on a whim... Cena on the other hand will do whatever he's told which is disasterous.

Banned

No!

"Cena needs to turn heel and shoot against the machine, because he gets too many mixed reactions!"

"Well, if he does, he's still going to get the reaction they won't"

"Who cares? The mixed reactions will always be there."

Just be honest with us all, guys. If you don't like Cena as a face that's fine, but you try to rationalize it with bullshit and you don't need to.

Knows he isn't welcome

Cena shooting will probably be the first promo he does after turning. What we want to see as fans is an aggressive Cena. That doesn't mean shooting every week. I want Cena to drop the corny act and instead adopt an act similar to what Hogan did with the NWO -- cold, bitter, crude, arrogant.
    Boring?

I want Evil Cena to be like what I saw last Monday, but cranked up to 111, that will be both entertaining and effective.
    Last edited by Nightwolf; 01-23-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Boring?

I want Evil Cena to be like what I saw last Monday, but cranked up to 111, that will be both entertaing and effective.
    Me 2. Imagine if he turned it up a notch on that guy wearing the "Heyman Guy" shirt. He could have embarrassed him real bad. It was such an easy target.

There are ways to do it that will get him booed by everybody. One of them, which I've been a huge proponent of, is having him end Undertaker's streak.
    Every time this gets suggested I shake my head in disbelief.
    Randy Orton went over Hogan, Foley etc. no-on remembers and he's just a midcarder now.
    I wouldn't end something that makes the WWE awesome for two seconds of jizz

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    Randy Orton went over Hogan, Foley etc. no-on remembers and he's just a midcarder now.
    1. Randy Orton did not go over Hogan.

2. Are we really comparing a victory over Mick Foley to ending The Undertaker's streak?

3. Are we really comparing Randy Orton to John Cena?

HAYZE

Knows he isn't welcome

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    Is a fake streak really something that makes WWE awesome?

Thread Information