Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would this work for a Royal Rumble winner?

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

Default Would this work for a Royal Rumble winner?

Let's say that someone unexpected, total mid-carder for life wins the Royal Rumble. Examples would be like Kofi Kingston, Drew McIntyre, etc. Would it work if they cut a promo the next night to pick their title match at Wrestlemania, then disappeared for a bit, only seen in training montages, maybe coming back for 2 Raws to have a match to help with training. Almost make it into a Rocky type deal where they know this might be their only shot and they have to make it count.

Would this be good, bad, or in the middle?

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

Default Re: Would this work for a Royal Rumble winner?

On one hand, it could work because it would show someone like Kofi training for the biggest match of his life, but OMG HE'S NOT ON TV EVERY WEEK!

Also, there's always the "If they're not in the main event, they don't really matter, so why should I care since I don't have a mind of my own." philosophy that WWE has cultivated.

I'd personally like seeing a midcarder win the Rumble, but I'm crazy and smarky and I hate the status quo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

This would have been perfect had Santino won the rumble and went after The Miz.
    baboosh

I'm still pissed about Santino being the last one eliminated. Totally cheapened the whole Rumble, especially since it was a 40-man Rumble.

The idea could work, but only for a mid-carder they're grooming for the main event. Or maybe a guy like Bryan.

Santino winning would have been fantastic.

Hell, I'm as big a Bryan fan as anyone here, and I was 100% behind Santino in the elimination chamber. I nearly smarked in my pants when he hit the cobra on Bryan.

And going by the reactions he gets when he nearly gets these huge wins, I think WWE is dumb as fuck for not at least trying Santino going in as a number one contender.
    baboosh

Meh. If the right mid-carder won, I'd be all for it. Hard to say who I would want to see doing something like this though. Someone goofy like Santino transforming into a gritty fighter could be cool.

And no, I didn't just pick him because Rocky was Italian. I just can't think of a better example.

The RTruth
    RT wants you to check out The Ultimate Fic'er, happening now in Fan Fiction.

No. No changing.

Santino remains the goofy underdog through and through.

Goofy Santino winning the heavyweight title will hardly be the worst thing to happen to one, in a sport where David Arquette was once champion.
    baboosh

I think it could work, but not Santino or Kofi. Ted DiBiase, Jr. would be perfect. Last time I checked he was still on the roster. No one would expect him & the fans already no him and love him. Santino I like him but I don't see WWE giving him a serious push. Kofi would be a good idea, but if the E does it, it would he better if he turn heel right after he wins. And I don't see them doing that.

I thought Ted was leaving when his contract expired so he could go to Hollywood. Though that was a dirt sheet thing, so who knows.

I know, he could do both. He could follow the Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Goofy Santino winning the heavyweight title will hardly be the worst thing to happen to one, in a sport where David Arquette was once champion.
    David Arquette does not justify a nonsense decision like comedy-Santino winning one of the top titles in the company. It would be like Scotty 2 Hotty beating Kurt Angle at WM22 with The Worm.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    David Arquette does not justify a nonsense decision like comedy-Santino winning one of the top titles in the company. It would be like Scotty 2 Hotty beating Kurt Angle at WM22 with The Worm.
    So, the fact the guy is over, and on two occasions the fans have been more or less shitting themselves with excitement when they thought he was going to win the rumble/world heavyweight championship, does not justify him getting a Rocky Run with the title?

See, this is why I watch CHIKARA. 'FUN' isn't a dirty word there.
    baboosh

I love this idea Main Event, just not sure who the guy would be.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

So, the fact the guy is over, and on two occasions the fans have been more or less shitting themselves with excitement when they thought he was going to win the rumble/world heavyweight championship, does not justify him getting a Rocky Run with the title?

See, this is why I watch CHIKARA. 'FUN' isn't a dirty word there.
    It's a believability thing as far as I'm concerned. Santino hitting Daniel Bryan, one of the least credible WHCs in recent memory, with the cobra and pinning him in the conclusion of a gruelling elimination chamber match is one thing (and I still would have hated that), but Santino winning the rumble and beating a guy like Del Rio or Sheamus in a one-on-one match at Wrestlemania, presumably with the cobra, is asinine. Honestly, I think it's more about the finisher than anything else, because I was willing to suspend my disbelief when Jack Swagger went from jobbing from guys like Santino to winning the WHC.

I expected the obligatory 'anti-fun' comment, but I wouldn't class Santino as fun. He hasn't been funny for a long time.

Saying The Cobra isn't an effective finisher is like saying the Samoan Spike wasn't. It's a nerve strike.
    baboosh

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

I fail to see how Bryan is the LEAST credible. I mean, he took on, and defeated, Big Show AND Mark Henry quite a few times.

Saying The Cobra isn't an effective finisher is like saying the Samoan Spike wasn't. It's a nerve strike.
    I didn't really like the Samoan Spike either, but at least it was presented in a serious manner. Also the thumb with the tape/cast on it added to its believability.

Quote Originally Posted by Crippler View Post
    I fail to see how Bryan is the LEAST credible. I mean, he took on, and defeated, Big Show AND Mark Henry quite a few times.
    I don't recall him ever beating those guys clean. IIRC, the whole reign was presented as if Bryan was a midcarder and stood no chance against the likes of Show and Henry.

I think it would be cool, especially with two world titles. You could have your flukish midcard Rumble winner challenge for one while still having a big money match for the other.

My biggest pet peeve with the Royal Rumble is the bullshit saying that goes along with it, "The winner MAIN EVENTS WRESTLEMANIA!!"...yeah right, Sheamus and Bryan were lucky to even make the card.

I like the idea actually, however not for this Royal Rumble.

I think this year the winner needs to actually headline WrestleMania and go after the WWE Title which is why I would like Cena to win. The person who won hasn't actually main evented and faced the WWE Champion since 2009. At some point though I think it would be a decent idea.

After I read this idea the first name that came to mind was Dean Malenko. I think his no-nonsense approach and career being full of hearing "He's too small...He's not charasmatic..." I think that guy could have pulled this idea off wonderfully.

Today's roster, maybe Tyson Kidd...they could show him training in the Dungeon with Bret in clips on Raw or something and he's kind of got some of the same characteristics of Malenko.

Quote Originally Posted by ExOfEx View Post
    After I read this idea the first name that came to mind was Dean Malenko. I think his no-nonsense approach and career being full of hearing "He's too small...He's not charasmatic..." I think that guy could have pulled this idea off wonderfully.

Today's roster, maybe Tyson Kidd...they could show him training in the Dungeon with Bret in clips on Raw or something and he's kind of got some of the same characteristics of Malenko.
    Tyson Kidd, that would be something.

Love it.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I'd actually like to see it.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Why not JoMo, no homo.

He can be popular enough to get a Rumble win and then come back in 2 months ready for the fight of his life to finally become WWE Champion.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Because you mentioned Drew McIntyre in the example yes it would work and I agree 100%. Since Del Rio has already fulfilled his destiny it would work for McIntyre to say it is his time to be champion and talk about fulfilling his destiny as "The Chosen One" cutting great promos leading up to winning the belt at Mania! Ok lets book this for next year right now!

Thread Information