Thread: WWE Network?

Banned

Default WWE Network?

Remember when WWE announced the their own network? It was a little while back. We really haven't heard any news about it since they first debuted the idea. Did they stop or are they still working on it? I do understand that it is a big project and takes some time.

Thoughts?

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Default Re: WWE Network?

Still working on it. They had a few setbacks, such as trying to find a carrier, pay format, deciding on whether or not to play payperviews on the channel, as well as other things. They're still pumping money into it, but no release date, to the best of my knowledge.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

They said "coming in 2012". Epic Fail!

RobbyMcmahon323

I've given up hope for this supposed network. I'll continue to revist my collection, creating my own "network."

well i sure has hell dont miss those seizure inducing comercials for it
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

I never had any hopes for this thing. The closest they get to launching a WWE Network is a youtube channel.

I thought it was a very big project when they first announced it and had my reservations that they'd actually get it going, let alone launch it within the deadline they originally intended. Not surprised that it hasn't happened.

Between 3 hours on Mondays, 2 hours for SmackDown, Main Event, that CW show on Saturday mornings, monthly PPV's....what can they put on the air with this thin roster? They're selling new DVD's every two weeks or so and they've had WWE Classics on Demand for some time so they've been and are exposing their library of footage. I just don't know what the programming would be for the network and if it would be feasible or profitable enough to launch a whole network. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

It's doomed to fail under the current model, and if they don't realize before they launch it that people in droves are not going to pay specifically for a WWE-only channel, it will be another huge waste of Vince McMahon's money.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    It's doomed to fail under the current model, and if they don't realize before they launch it that people in droves are not going to pay specifically for a WWE-only channel, it will be another huge waste of Vince McMahon's money.
    I think the issue is that WWE has a much more optimistic view of the size of their audience than most providers do. Quotes from WWE has indicated that they think their audience is nearly 6 to 7 times the amount of people that watch their show every week, and even more people are "lapsed fans." While it's foolish to look at ratings as a barometer of how the business is going as a pure metric, it is an important metric for cable providers, and Comcast's first question should be, and probably was "Your flagship program is on the top cable network and draws 4 million viewers per week live. Your second show was on network TV, and drew even less. Explain to us why your network will be more successful than Oprah's was."

I was real optimistic about the potential of a WWE network. There is value in that content. The problem WWE has is that they are so fond of comparing themselves to fictionalized dramas, but nobody is paying per-month fees for an all-Gunsmoke, all the time channel.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

What would be interesting to me is if there was some kind of statistic on how many people who have Hulu Plus watch WWE content more than anything else.

HAYZE

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

What would be interesting to me is if there was some kind of statistic on how many people who have Hulu Plus watch WWE content more than anything else.
    That would be a good one. I'd also love to see some of the ratings on some recent niche programming startups. I'm taking sports networks out of the equation because much like Vince McMahon, I feel like it's a poor comparison. Even at their most desperate for programming state, the sports networks can simply throw a news show, or a discussion show on there that people will watch. I feel like WWE would really struggle with a SportsCenter type show, because, well, it's fake. It would just turn into another recap show, which is fine, except you already have plenty of recap shows that nobody watches now.

"I like cake."

Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Not to mention the fact that there simply isn't nearly as much "news" in WWE as there are in other sports, which each have around 30 teams to cover.

HAYZE

Not to mention the fact that there simply isn't nearly as much "news" in WWE as there are in other sports, which each have around 30 teams to cover.
    That's the problem. They'd struggle to fill the program with stuff that wasn't overly contrived/insulting to the audience or goofy. The other problem is that they don't have long matches to cover that they could conceivably show highlights from. What they could conceivably do would be to rip a page out of the old-school WWF playbook and show highlights from house shows, which would be a cute little concept that might actually bump house show importance up a notch, in addition to showing the occasional full house-show card on the network.

Plain and simple, if WWE wants to have a successful network, they have to embrace more of the sport vibe than the entertainment vibe. Nobody bought the OWN network. Plenty of people bought the Big Ten network.

"I like cake."

Thread Information