Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's the deal with kofi?

Default So what's the deal with kofi?

Exactly as it says in my title, what's the deal with kofi now? He lost his title and is going nowhere fast from what I can see, as I'm not sure what a clean loss to cesaro does for him?

Default Re: So what's the deal with kofi?

He's never been seen as a top guy by WWE unfortunately. Personally I think he's gotten very stale. Basically the same face character since 2008 when he debuted. He's changed things up a little recently but he still needs a change. I doubt he'll even make the WrestleMania card this year. He needs a heel turn desperately. He could be a potential world champion, but needs to show more variety and versatility.

I know many people think he was buried in his feud with Orton a few years ago but I don't agree. He was too new and not unique enough to fast-track to the main event. I'd love a heel turn and alignment with Punk/Heyman after Mania. Could also be a potential MITB winner this year. He and Cody should be guys that are started towards a main event push later this year.

I agree that he and Cody should be two guys they really try to elevate sometime this year and during the next. However I don't think he needs to be turned heel, a complete change of character seems to be everyone's solution for when a performer they feel has become "stale." He's a good face, the way he is in the ring makes it easier for him to be a face than a heel. I think he just needs to be a little more edgier in his character - a face but with some aggression. Like when he destroyed Orton's NASCAR or whatever it was a few years ago, he needs to be in a decent storyline and be able to be more edgy.

This quote from BigRed in another thread sums up my thoughts perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Kofi Kingston might as well be a cardboard cutout since his feud with Orton in 2009. He's just there. If he won the Rumble, I'd be royally pissed.
    Why should I as a fan care about Kofi, what reasons have WWE given me to give a shit about him?

Credit to DC for the hometown hero trophy

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm still good. The usual "EVERYTHING IS AWFUL" crowd is typically unsatisfied.
    Winner of WWE Hometown Heroes at PW Mania X

Kingston could win the Rumble. It's just like WWE to bury a guy before giving him a huge win out of nowhere.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Kingston could win the Rumble. It's just like WWE to bury a guy before giving him a huge win out of nowhere.
    Not a Rumble win.

Rumble wins are always given to people who have been solidly pushed.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Why should I as a fan care about Kofi, what reasons have WWE given me to give a shit about him?
    That's my point exactly, I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of his just curious as to others thoughts on his future.

Sheamus.

Summerslam: Destroyed by Henry.

Night of Champions: Not booked.

Hell in a Cell: Beat Christian.

Vengeance: Beat Christian.

Survivor Series: Part of the losing team.

TLC: Wasn't booked, got an afterthought match at the last minute against Jack Swagger.

Royal Rumble: Wins the Rumble.

Not counting Edge and Cena, Sheamus' Royal Rumble win build up was pretty... uh... well, I don't recall many people actually picking Sheamus to win it.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

He was pretty obviously being set up for a big push, Falcy. He did nothing but continuously win matches on Raw and especially SmackDown for months after his face turn, and I definitely remember him being the number two prediction (only behind Jericho) to win that Rumble.

It's not comparable to Kofi's current situation at all.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    This quote from BigRed in another thread sums up my thoughts perfectly

He's one of the only good guys whose character is not an outrageous asshole.

He's no good for me, I don't even like him as I.C or U.S Champion never mind being in the main event.

He's small, average at best on the mic and his offense is weak. He runs up to guys does a big high jump then just comes down with a chop to the head, same from the top rope. He jumps so high but then just comes down with a weak shot to the head, it's so anti climatic and just looks like shit.

I've got nothing against him but he is one of the very few guys in WWE that I see nothing in. Turn him heel and give him a body guard, he could work a similar style to what HBK was in late 1997 where he was thrown around by the bigger face but still somehow comes out on top. If he fails with that then I see nothing for him, fortunately I see his recent string of losses as a build to a heel turn.

When Kofi speaks my interest level drops.

Banner Credit: Spike

I like Kofi myself. Just don't see him as a main event guy. He is too spot based and lacks charisma imo. Reminds me of Shelton Benjamin minus the mat based skills. I like to watch Kofi however, when he is not onscreen it is easy to forget that he is even in WWE.

So im like the only big Kofi fan around here?
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

Back for the first time. T-Money's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    You're not alone, check the sig. I'm a huge fan and I see what a lot of people don't see. Even JR on commentary once said "Kofi has IT, he just doesn't show it as often as you'd like."

As a talent, I like Kofi. However, I don't like him as the token midcard face winning the titles over and over again.

Kofi's the only midcard face (an actual midcarder, not someone like The Miz that got bumped down from the main event), who gets to be booked with any semblance of credibility and treated as a featured regular.

He's over, I kind of like the guy, but I feel that others deserve the opportunities that Kofi has been given. Giving Kofi the midcard belts is like the midcard version of keeping Cena in the main event or bringing back old veterans: it's the "safe choice" and others aren't allowed to prove themselves as a result

Here's a quote I found on another board that perfectly describes the negativity towards Kofi:

"The thing that I HATE about Kofi is that he's in this weird middle spot of not being good enough for a push or character development but is put on a undeserved pedastal compared to every other midcard face aside from R-Truth (and even he is clearly secondary to Kofi). Kofi's existance prevents other midcard faces from being pushed to his spot but there's nothing to actually show for it aside from a bunch of pretty matches and some worthless title reigns. At least Cena isn't fodder for whatever flavor of the month heel happens to be getting pushed at the moment.

I'll be the first to say that Kofi is better than guys like Kidd, Gabriel, Barretta, Truth, Riley, Santino, or Ryder from either a wrestling or marketability standpoint but frankly all of them should be elevated to where he is simply to promote the feeling of there being actual competition for spots."

Back for the first time. T-Money's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TempestH View Post
    As a talent, I like Kofi. However, I don't like him as the token midcard face winning the titles over and over again.

Kofi's the only midcard face (an actual midcarder, not someone like The Miz that got bumped down from the main event), who gets to be booked with any semblance of credibility and treated as a featured regular.

He's over, I kind of like the guy, but I feel that others deserve the opportunities that Kofi has been given. Giving Kofi the midcard belts is like the midcard version of keeping Cena in the main event or bringing back old veterans: it's the "safe choice" and others aren't allowed to prove themselves as a result

Here's a quote I found on another board that perfectly describes the negativity towards Kofi:

"The thing that I HATE about Kofi is that he's in this weird middle spot of not being good enough for a push or character development but is put on a undeserved pedastal compared to every other midcard face aside from R-Truth (and even he is clearly secondary to Kofi). Kofi's existance prevents other midcard faces from being pushed to his spot but there's nothing to actually show for it aside from a bunch of pretty matches and some worthless title reigns. At least Cena isn't fodder for whatever flavor of the month heel happens to be getting pushed at the moment.

I'll be the first to say that Kofi is better than guys like Kidd, Gabriel, Barretta, Truth, Riley, Santino, or Ryder from either a wrestling or marketability standpoint but frankly all of them should be elevated to where he is simply to promote the feeling of there being actual competition for spots."
    Well what do you expect if he's banging on the glass ceiling and not being transitioned into the main-event like other guys of his generation?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Money View Post
    Well what do you expect if he's banging on the glass ceiling and not being transitioned into the main-event like other guys of his generation?
    I'd still expect guys like Santino, Riley, Gabriel, etc. to be booked to Kofi's level of credibility regardless of whether he breaks the glass ceiling or not. I'd expect other faces showcased just as much as Kofi has

That's why we have Team Hell No as tag team champions, and Antonio Cesaro feuding with Miz, because none of the other midcarders not named Kofi have been elevated, so the only way they have credible contenders is to have main eventers stepping down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Nope, I'm a Kofi fan as well.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

Kofi always been putting on great matches that's the one reason to care about him. But there's no really no storyline or good feud that he's been in. A heel turn would be great. I don't know why they don't bring back a heel black stable like NOD It's easy and a perfect heel situation And done right they will be heel by many and still have fans that agree. LIke how they had the Hart Foundation still loved in Canada
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzmSQ49oWk
    The Master Builder - Jakob22, Presents - My Sins -

Maybe it's something to do with his attitude? Apparently Barretta and Kofi are having a spat on twitter.
    - Credit JV -
    My client Gus Poyet broke the streak!!!

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

Kofi is basically in that position of being the face that's always over no matter what, so he's a great stepping stone for heels on the rise or heels that need a little boost or filler feud. He hangs in there he'll get a shot at a main event feud at some point in the next few years, but it'll be when they need to reach deep.

His position is solid, nothing to be pissed about, but nothing to be thrilled about.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I thought the Randy Orton feud really brought out the best in Kofi.

But, other than that he's really just the workhorse for producing cool spots in big matches (MITB, RR). It's a shame though, because I like the guy.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

and you can never forget this. This was pretty hilarious.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

I am a huge Kofi Fan. I dont think he is being de pushed or anything, I think he just lost matches. He has been a top performer for WWE since he got there.

I want him to be pushed to the main event scene because I believe he has the in ring ability and okay mic skills to be one of the top baby faces in the company.

MARK HUGE FOR SHAWN AND SHELTON
    thanks benoitgirl for flash...banner-thanks RT

GREEN BAY RULES

Good at Promoing? Check out PWP in General Wrestling!

Thread Information