Thread: Why Rock vs. Cena is terrible for Wrestlemania.

Default Why Rock vs. Cena is terrible for Wrestlemania.

The way things are shaping up, it looks as if we will be having a Rock/Cena rematch at Wretlemania. I can only hope that it isn't for the WWE title, but I have the feeling it will be and the collateral damage for this match is just too much. Let's look at the obvious scenario.

The Rock defeats Punk for the title at the Rumble. This is only a good idea if the Rock can work almost every RAW between the Rumble and Wrestlemania, but that isn't going to happen. I have the feeling that Rock will be put out of action until Wrestlemania by the Shield. There is way too much down time for the WWE title in this scenario. Also, the WWE could make a big star out of anyone on the roster by booking them to end Punk's title run. Why give it to the part-time guy that doesn't need it.

The next logical step is for Cena to win the Rumble match which is another big waste. The Rumble match is a transition from upper mid carder to bona Fide superstar. It only happens once a year and Cena certainly doesn't need this win. I hate when they use the rumble just to elevate a short term storyline like Cena coming back from injury a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't see the company giving the rumble win to a Cesaro, Sandow etc.

I could live with Cena not winning the Rumble but then going on to win a title match at Elimination Chamber.

Here is a scenario that would shock the fans and doesn't have much collateral damage.

At the Royal Rumble,The Rock hits Rock Bottom for what seems like a title win and BOOM, the lights go out. Everyone is expecting the shield to interfere but when he lights come back on, the Undertaker is choke slamming the Rock leading to a win by Punk.

Imagine the heat by a split crowd leading up to Wrestlemania. The undertaker did it because he simply doesn't like the Rock and the fact that once Undertaker quit wrestling full time, he never got a title shot again, unlike the Rock.
    Last edited by bischoffs brain; 01-13-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Default Re: Why Rock vs. Cena is terrible for Wrestlemania.

I thought that the Rock had committed to the majority of the Raws up to Wrestlemania just recently? That aside I don't want to see Rock vs Cena just because it is so predictable. 1) Rock beats Punk. 2) Rock retains at EC 3) Cena wins RR/EC to face Rock. 4) Cena beats Rock. 5) Rock leaves. There's 3 months of main events in arguably the only period in the calender year when the WWE put effort into their booking. I just want something different myself.

I don't have the exact schedule but mattdragn is right. Rock is working almost if not every Raw and even a couple of Smackdowns. I'm sure someone else will come and post his dates.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Reigns is more over than most people here are willing to admit.
    Episode 3 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Untouchable

Quote Originally Posted by mattdragn View Post
    I thought that the Rock had committed to the majority of the Raws up to Wrestlemania just recently? That aside I don't want to see Rock vs Cena just because it is so predictable. 1) Rock beats Punk. 2) Rock retains at EC 3) Cena wins RR/EC to face Rock. 4) Cena beats Rock. 5) Rock leaves. There's 3 months of main events in arguably the only period in the calender year when the WWE put effort into their booking. I just want something different myself.

The Rock working all the Raws makes it a little better and a little more predictable. You can pretty much guarantee he is leaving the Rumble with the title. These are the kinds of things that the WWE has to stop leaking out. Finding out the Rock will be working a full TV schedule eliminates the little bit of doubt that I had concerning the outcome of the Punk/Rock match.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    I don't have the exact schedule but mattdragn is right. Rock is working almost if not every Raw and even a couple of Smackdowns. I'm sure someone else will come and post his dates.
    The Rock is being advertised by WWE officially for the following dates this month:

* January 7 in Tampa, Florida (RAW)

* January 8 in Miami, Florida (SmackDown)

* January 14 in Houston, Texas (RAW)

* January 21 in San Jose, California (RAW)

* January 22 in Sacramento, California (SmackDown)

* January 27 in Phoenix, Arizona (Royal Rumble PPV)

* January 28 in Las Vegas, Nevada (RAW)

The only date Rock is not being advertised for is the January 15 SmackDown taping in San Antonio, Texas. He's also previously been advertised for the Elimination Chamber PPV and additional shows in February.

I'm fine with it the more I think about it. Yeah it's predictable but so were so many manias of the past. All that matters is for a moment in the match it looks like they will throw in the shocker of rock beating cena again.

Undertaker matches are predictable at mania but they are usually the highlight of the show because you get a moment like a superkick/perigee combo where you think it's really over and you got it wrong. I mean really I know it's "cool"to be a jaded fan but if predictability is your issue with pro wrestling then why watch? The majority of matches you know the outcome going in.
    Last edited by vendrell; 01-13-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Nothing wrong with predictibility if it makes $$$$$$, which Rock vs. Cena will. There is also an outside chance of Punk vs. Rock vs. Cena

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    The Rock is being advertised by WWE officially for the following dates this month:

* January 7 in Tampa, Florida (RAW)

* January 8 in Miami, Florida (SmackDown)

* January 14 in Houston, Texas (RAW)

* January 21 in San Jose, California (RAW)

* January 22 in Sacramento, California (SmackDown)

* January 27 in Phoenix, Arizona (Royal Rumble PPV)

* January 28 in Las Vegas, Nevada (RAW)

The only date Rock is not being advertised for is the January 15 SmackDown taping in San Antonio, Texas. He's also previously been advertised for the Elimination Chamber PPV and additional shows in February.
    Amazing really, I never in my wildest dreams thought he would be back this much. For a while I never really thought he was fully into this whole return thing and just came back to feud with Cena really because it was something the fans wanted to see and he probably wanted himself. But it actually does appear as though he's fully into this. He doesn't have to appear on those SmackDown's and doesn't neccesarily have to appear on every Raw either, there are ways they can work around him not being there.

But I've got to be fair to him, he's fully into this.

If I was to fantasy-book this, I wouldn't have Rock win the belt at the Rumble. The match would end in either a disqualification or a Shield run-in. That way Punk retains and Rock actually puts over the younger guy and isn't really effected by it. If for some reason he has to win the title during his little return, I'd have him win it in the Elimination Chamber. He is already advertised for it. He'd probably be the 6th entrant and would take it from there. I wouldn't even have him pin Punk. That way Punk can continue to bitch and complain about how he was never pinned and he was screwed out of his long title reign. This would all lead to a triple-threat Wrestlemania main event of Punk-Rock-Cena (because Cena would have weaseled his way in somehow).

Quote Originally Posted by jgreeds View Post
    If I was to fantasy-book this, I wouldn't have Rock win the belt at the Rumble. The match would end in either a disqualification or a Shield run-in. That way Punk retains and Rock actually puts over the younger guy and isn't really effected by it. If for some reason he has to win the title during his little return, I'd have him win it in the Elimination Chamber. He is already advertised for it. He'd probably be the 6th entrant and would take it from there. I wouldn't even have him pin Punk. That way Punk can continue to bitch and complain about how he was never pinned and he was screwed out of his long title reign. This would all lead to a triple-threat Wrestlemania main event of Punk-Rock-Cena (because Cena would have weaseled his way in somehow).
    why should we have another WWE Title match end with a screw up? the shield is being to involved, and they wouldnt screw womething like Rock's return with a screw up by the shield, At least i hope not.
    I have no problem with punk winning cleanly even though I know it is not going to happen, so I know that Rock is going to win the title at the rumble, The shield with try to interfere and ptobably Ryback will clean the ring allowing Rock to capitelize to Punk.

The Rumble match is a transition from upper mid carder to bona Fide superstar
    I disagree. The MITB does a better job of doing that. Rumble wins should be for veterans, MITB should be for new guys.
    It's showtime, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by C-enation View Post
    why should we have another WWE Title match end with a screw up? the shield is being to involved, and they wouldnt screw womething like Rock's return with a screw up by the shield, At least i hope not.
    I have no problem with punk winning cleanly even though I know it is not going to happen, so I know that Rock is going to win the title at the rumble, The shield with try to interfere and ptobably Ryback will clean the ring allowing Rock to capitelize to Punk.
    This is what will happen, but I doo see Punk being in the triple threat with Rock & Cena for the title at WM.

Thanks To Hayze

I'm willing to bet my house that it won't be The Rock vs. John Cena again at WrestleMania. They will have their rematch but it won't be till SummerSlam. I don't quite know what they will go with but I'm fairly sure it won't be Rock vs. Cena.

They might even go for Rock vs. Cena vs. Punk in a Triple Threat Match with Cena coming out on top pinning The Rock.

Unlike the only other match that happened at back-to-back Manias, I think that Rock-Cena could be better than the first. I don't think it will draw as much as the first one, but I can't really think of another guy Rock could legitametly face and it is an epic encounter. He's meeting Punk at Rumble, Taker, Kane, Triple H and Brock he has all wrestled before and I don't see Miz turning heel again nor do I think Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes or Damien Sandow could main event Mania.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MKPunk View Post
    Unlike the only other match that happened at back-to-back Manias, I think that Rock-Cena could be better than the first.
    Taker/HHH at 28 wasn't better than the previous year?

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Rock/Cena II could be better than their first match only because their first match sucked. At least Undertaker's predictable matches deliver. I have 0 interest in seeing these two go at it again - especially for the belt - unless it's a triple threat and Punk is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Taker/HHH at 28 wasn't better than the previous year?
    I forgot about the two Taker-HHH matches for a second. I meant HBK-Taker...

As for Punk being involved in Rock-Cena I heard that there are other plans for him at Mania.

Sometimes the predictable path is the way to go as long as it is epic. The best year in the road to Mania imo where there was lots of twists and turns was 2000, but it also took away from the event.

The original Rock/HHH title match that was obvious was turned into a fatal four-way with HHH winning it to the surprise of everyone. Today many hate that Mania and say that Backlash was actually more WrestleMania worthy where Rock did the predictable by dethroning HHH.

I initially was against this idea too tbh, but the way things are now I don't think it would be wise to do Russo style shock value booking with Rock and the championship. The problem to some which is a good one is the predictable nature of a rematch with these two, but I think there are ways to make the match different and better than last year. For one I think Cena should just be straight up and not try to pander to the crowd and if booed let the crowd boo him. Let The Rock go in on him as he will be giving back the win, so it won't matter anyways.

In other words tease a Cena heel turn at the very least.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I hope Cena/Rock 2 happens. I need closure. I still have nightmares where I'm sitting ringside at WM28 yelling "CENA! DON'T DO THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW!"

Cena defeating the Rock would make him legendary.

Wipe him down with gasoline, till his arms are hard and mean.
    From now on boy this iron boat's your home.

Banned

When The Rock signed up for Hercules, I really didn't expect him to actually make time to be at every single RAW. Very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenamark2.0 View Post
    I hope Cena/Rock 2 happens. I need closure. I still have nightmares where I'm sitting ringside at WM28 yelling "CENA! DON'T DO THE PEOPLE'S ELBOW!"

Cena defeating the Rock would make him legendary.
    Cena should have listened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
    Rock/Cena II could be better than their first match only because their first match sucked. At least Undertaker's predictable matches deliver. I have 0 interest in seeing these two go at it again - especially for the belt - unless it's a triple threat and Punk is involved.
    Definitly not as good a match as I had hoped for. Rock and cena both seemed very sluggish.

Rock/Cena was a good match. The match was ruined by the commentary of Michael Cole. If it wasn't for him the drama of the match would have been much better, but in typical Cole fashion he would spoil the close calls by claiming "it's over" and it never was.

Thread Information