Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pride FC Appreciation Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pride FC Appreciation Thread

Am I the only hardcore fight fan that seriously misses Pride FC right now?

I made a pretty lengthy post about Pride FC up in Fan Fic recently, and it really got the nostalgia juices flowing. This MMA promotion just had so much charm. I loved everything about it, from the grand tournaments they used to hold, all the way down to the small subtle things like the way the referee would get up in the fighters faces and repeatedly ask "DO YOU GIVE UP!" whenever they were locked in a submission.

Lets get some discussion going about this legendary Japanese promotion. What do you miss about it? What were your favorite moments, events, fights, fighters?

Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-12-2013 at 09:24 PM.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pride FC Appreciation Thread

I loved the fact they would give yellow cards for stalling.

I loved their presentation.

I loved that one female ring announcer they would use for every fight.

I loved that you could use knees on the ground. (not a big fan of stomps or soccer kicks) this REALLY needs to be added to the current rule set.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you're definitely not alone. I have every PRIDE event on my external hard drive and I watch them from time to time, especially the Grand Prix. There might never be anything in MMA quite like the atmosphere of a PRIDE fight.

Most of my favorite all time fighters are there because of their PRIDE fights. Wandy, Shogun, Cro Cop, and Fedor are among my favorites of all time. Mark Hunt too, dude was an absolute monster.

As far as favorite fights go, here's a few amongst my favorites ever:

- Nick Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi, PRIDE 33
    - Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama, PRIDE 21
    - Quentin Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona, PRIDE Critical Countdown 2004
    - Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mirko Cro Cop, PRIDE Final Conflict 2005
    Last edited by ReyRey619; 01-13-2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Check me out on the Twitterverse: https://twitter.com/#!/Jdiddy381

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good god that fucking 2004 heavyweight grand prix tournament is about as epic as epic gets. Pretty much every fight was amazing. Noguera vs Fedor in the finals ends on a cut, then they have the rematch at Shockwave 2004(another epic event).

The Shockwave shows were all amazing. It was like Pride's Wrestlemania or Starrcade. Those have got to be the most stacked MMA cards in the history of the sport. From top to bottom.

LT brought up some more of my favorite little things about Pride. The yellow cards for stalling(10% deduction in the purse for each one). The female ring announcer that would SCREAM EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYONE'S NAME AND RRRRRRRRRRRRROLL THE R'S FOR A RRRRRRRRIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF TIME.

And then this:

Sakuraba's rise from Pride 2 up to Pride 10 was just amazing.

@ReyRey: Yeah, Diaz vs Gomi is a top favorite fight of mine as well. Unbelievable. Fedor vs Cro Cop was the Tyson vs Holyfield of MMA at that time. Another one of my all time favorites. Great shouts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also feel the length of rounds were better suited than today's rounds
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    I also feel the length of rounds were better suited than today's rounds
    YES!

The 10 minute first round was perfect for MMA. 10-5-5. Great fucking shout.

I think that would have been a much better route than just making main events(and title fights) 5X5. They should have just went 10-5-5 for all fights(with the 10-5 Bushido round rules for the smaller shows).

The 10 minute first round was a fucking BEAST!

GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ReyRey619 View Post
    As far as favorite fights go, here's a few amongst my favorites ever:

- Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama, PRIDE 21

Fuck yes. Clinch and beat the shit out of each other, my kind of shit.

Favourite moments for me were the obvious, Rampage/Arona slam, Randleman's german suplex nearly breaking Fedor's neck, Aoki being a piece of shit after breaking a guys arm, etc.

Fave fight would be Barnett/Nog, overall I just miss the grand presentation at the start though. You just don't get the same buzz with UFC.

akita

I rewatched the fedor/nog 1 fight the other day. Fedor was such a beast back then. The Sakuraba/Gracie fight was a pivotal point in Sakuraba's career. too many other great fights to list

Heartbreak Kid

This is how you open an event and make your fighters look like superstars.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One guy from Pride FC you don't ever hear about anymore, but I really liked was Igor Vovchanchyn. I'd say he was a top 2-3 Heavyweight in the world in 99-00.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't really a big MMA guy when Pride was relevant but I get it but I don't know...I was never as connected to it. Maybe it's because I saw these guys first in the UFC when most if not all of them had already kind of lost a step or two so going back and re watching their pride days just didn't fill me with the same joy.

I didn't like the 10 minute first round. I actually prefer the 3 five minute rounds.

The yellow card for stalling was money though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreak Kid View Post
    This is how you open an event and make your fighters look like superstars.

That is the kind of thing UFC needs to do. Although for that event they had it stacked in a major way. If UFC ever lands MSG, they should do something like that to open the show.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The yellow card system wasn't bad, but at the same time, I've seen it used in the wrong situations. It had it's moments where it was great, and then you have the moments that made you scratch your head like "They weren't stalling intentionally, it was just a stall mate"
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    One guy from Pride FC you don't ever hear about anymore, but I really liked was Igor Vovchanchyn. I'd say he was a top 2-3 Heavyweight in the world in 99-00.
    For sure.

I always get confused between him and Kharitonov from the SF GP though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this fight:

I think they had a mutual agreement not to throw strikes(there were a few very light ones thrown), but this was a very entertaining, scientific submission grappling match. Sakuraba's catch wrestling skills were very sharp.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is really random, but I fucking love this:

Then of course, Wanderlei wrecked his shit.
    Check me out on the Twitterverse: https://twitter.com/#!/Jdiddy381

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there a better feud in any sport than this in 2004?

One of the things I loved about the rivalry was one of the things I loved the most about Pride FC. There was a pro wrestling style build up to the Silva vs Rampage matches. Also, skip to 3:41 to see where CM Punk got it from, punk kids. Art imitates life, and with Pride FC, vice versa.

- - - Updated - - -

My god, while I'm on the subject, how about Silva's win streak through Pride from 2001 to 2005? JEEZ!

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cereal Killer

Cro Cop missed that kick...he hit the punch right after, because he was pissed, but that kick didn't connect.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it did. It was a grazing kick that skimmed the top of his head similar to how he did Ron Waterman a few years later.

I studied all of Cro Cops fights in slow motion probably a dozen times a piece in an effort to perfect that kick. I got pretty close:
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-16-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Cereal Killer

I know the kick against Waterman your talking about, but that doesn't drop Waterman...the punches do. We'll disagree...It looks like your kicking your guy in the ear. I don't have any pictures of my fights (which is a good thing)...just picture a guy that lost every way possible...that'd be me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you watch it close enough Cro Cop didn't even land a punch on Del Rio in that fight until after he had already dropped down from the kick. If you want to be technical about the Waterman fight it was the soccer kicks that finished him, but the left high kick that grazed the top of his head was what first wobbled him.

Skip to the slow mo replay at 1:28 and see. It was something he perfected. I never could land it just right. It was always a direct hit(as pictured) that usually fucked my foot up, or it was too high and missed completely like the end of this one:

Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-16-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Cereal Killer

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    If you watch it close enough Cro Cop didn't even land a punch on Del Rio in that fight until after he had already dropped down from the kick. If you want to be technical about the Waterman fight it was the soccer kicks that finished him, but the left high kick that grazed the top of his head was what first wobbled him.

Skip to the slow mo replay at 1:28 and see. It was something he perfected. I never could land it just right. It was always a direct hit(as pictured) that usually fucked my foot up, or it was too high and missed completely.
    Your talking to a guy with a wrestling background...so my kicks never went above the midsection. Was your kick just a range issue? You should be landing with your shin more so than your foot. Too many small bones in there to break. It's also why I hate the foot stomp technique you see on occasion. Just mean and dirty, IMO. In Cro Cop's glancing blows, he's at least hitting with his calf/side shin. I always thought he was missing (when I say miss, not hitting with full force) his kicks...never knew it was on purpose, then again...I liked Mirko, but his style was beyond me physically.

I know Waterman is finished with the soccer kicks (so brutal), but I was talking about what got him down in the first place. No harm, no foul.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved Pride.
    -At the time of its peak popularity it CLEARLY was attracting the top talent in the world (MMA hadnt really taken off yet in the US, and the fighters in that era were far less complete and "professional")
    -The pageantry really does count. It was trying to have a universal appeal rather than only marketing to the 15-32 male demographic like the UFC continues to do.
    -While I agree it had its problems, I liked the ring more than the octogon. I hate fence fighting, but i liked the fact that a good striker could still corner a guy at the post.
    -the RULES were ideal. No elbows on the ground eliminated alot of laynpray (especially since the judges didnt automatically assume you were winning just by being on top after a dainty trip-takedown). Knees meant a wrestler had to really EARN his takedowns, because a sprawl became much deadlier. Soccer kicks meant that turtling up like a bitch meant the fight would be ended with a corner-kick. And the 10 minute first round really punished excessive weight cutting, while rewarding patient grapplers who needed time to set up their submission attempts.

So yeah, I miss it. I wish the UFC had stolen all of its ideas, while getting rid of the freak shows and the overt japanese nationalism. But i guess its not possible, and its not like the UFC is failing with its current model.
    Do you remember lying in bed?
    With your covers pulled up over your head?

Thread Information