vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pride FC Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenlamp View Post
    I loved Pride.
    -At the time of its peak popularity it CLEARLY was attracting the top talent in the world (MMA hadnt really taken off yet in the US, and the fighters in that era were far less complete and "professional")
    -The pageantry really does count. It was trying to have a universal appeal rather than only marketing to the 15-32 male demographic like the UFC continues to do.
    -While I agree it had its problems, I liked the ring more than the octogon. I hate fence fighting, but i liked the fact that a good striker could still corner a guy at the post.
    -the RULES were ideal. No elbows on the ground eliminated alot of laynpray (especially since the judges didnt automatically assume you were winning just by being on top after a dainty trip-takedown). Knees meant a wrestler had to really EARN his takedowns, because a sprawl became much deadlier. Soccer kicks meant that turtling up like a bitch meant the fight would be ended with a corner-kick. And the 10 minute first round really punished excessive weight cutting, while rewarding patient grapplers who needed time to set up their submission attempts.

So yeah, I miss it. I wish the UFC had stolen all of its ideas, while getting rid of the freak shows and the overt japanese nationalism. But i guess its not possible, and its not like the UFC is failing with its current model.
    Spot on post. I agree 100% with everything.

I also like the ring a lot more. As a fighter I hated fighting in rings, but as a spectator there's something about it I can't put my thumb down on. Maybe because you have such a clearer view without the cyclone fence(watching live anyways). I don't know exactly what it is, but I prefer the ring, even though those rope restarts were a pain in the ass.

I strongly agree with you about the rules as well. With the current US rules it really favors the wrestlers I think. The Pride rules made it so much harder for a wrestler to be so dominant with the takedowns. The rules also just made for more action I think.

That 10 minute first round was what separated the men from the boys.

Cereal Killer

Just no soccer kicks...that "technique" should be barred everywhere...

GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post

I know he got crushed, but I still find it weird WWE never mentioned his MMA "career" to make him sound more legit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They bring up his Greco-Roman background all the time, mentioning that he could have been an Olympian had Mexico funded a team during his time. He did alright in his Pride fight against Kazuhiro Nakamura. He still lost though. I remember thinking it was really weird back in the day that they let him fight with the mask on in Pride.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
    Just no soccer kicks...that "technique" should be barred everywhere...
    Stomps even moreso. Those were a death waiting to happen. Especially with the way Pride loved to have mismatched skillsets fight.
    Do you remember lying in bed?
    With your covers pulled up over your head?

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As dangerous as they were, I really liked the stomps and soccer kicks in Pride. I understand why they would be outlawed and acknowledge that it's for the better, but there was just an element that they added to the atmosphere that I can't quite put into words, but I really loved it as a spectator. There was a certain psychology that they added to the fight, a mad dash scramble whenever things would hit the ground. An urgency that you wouldn't see in a UFC fight.

When I was a young fighter it was my dream to make it to Pride, and I always felt like I would have done better with those rules. I always felt like the Pride rules were perfect for my fighting style.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crazy fight. Hilarious, yet brutal.

Goodridge was Mr. Pride. He lost more than he won, but he always brought the action, and they always brought him back because of that. Do yourself a favor and at least watch that finish(7:49). Classic Pride moment. "CHILD'S PLAY! WHOOO!"
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 06-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic Rampage:

If I were booked to fight Rampage back then I'd probably take a few weeks to train with some pro wrestlers on how to take bumps. These guys in these pictures were fucked.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 06-22-2013 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mauro and Bas have a couple podcasts, so maybe they do this all the time, but Rogan having the two reminisce about Pride FC and tell some crazy ass stories was new to me and made me so happy. PRIDE FC GOAT.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post

crazy fight. Hilarious, yet brutal.

Goodridge was Mr. Pride. He lost more than he won, but he always brought the action, and they always brought him back because of that. Do yourself a favor and at least watch that finish(7:49). Classic Pride moment. "CHILD'S PLAY! WHOOO!"
    Don Frye may have something to say about that.

Last edited by The Real LT; 01-16-2017 at 01:00 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Don Frye may have something to say about that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Mauro and Bas have a couple podcasts, so maybe they do this all the time, but Rogan having the two reminisce about Pride FC and tell some crazy ass stories was new to me and made me so happy. PRIDE FC GOAT.
    I'm working on a review for Pride.1 so I just loaded this up for background noise. So far this is REALLY good. I just wish they would have had Stephen Quadros on there. I like Mauro a lot but Quadros and Bas will always be the voices of Pride to me, they were there doing those shows together for the first 7 years.

Thread Information