• WWF Championship: Yokozuna vs. Undertaker Casket Match 1994

4 8.16%
  • WWE Championship: Jeff Hardy vs. Edge No DQ Match 2009

1 2.04%
  • WWF Championship: Mankind vs. the Rock I Quit Match 1999

3 6.12%
  • WWF Championship: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack Street Fight 2000

9 18.37%
  • WWF Intercontinental Championship: Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho Ladder Match 2001

4 8.16%
  • WWE Championship: Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit 2003

12 24.49%
  • Others (Please List Below)

4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Royal Rumble Match

Question Greatest Royal Rumble Match

With the Rumble around the corner. I was wondering, what was the greatest Royal Rumble Match in history?
    Last edited by KB; 01-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: Greatest Royal Rumble Match

I still say 1992. The stakes were bigger, the stars were bigger, milestones were set, and Ric Flair re-established himself as the best wrestler in the world.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

I actually re-watched '92 recently since it gets a lot of play as far as best Rumble's. Eh. It obviously had a lot of big past, present and future stars featured in the Rumble. Flair was fun to watch, but otherwise, the action really wasn't all that great, IMO. On the other hand, 2001 also had a lot of big stars in it, but it had some kick-ass action from beginning to end. Not to mention, one of my favorite moments ever when Rock and Austin stare each other down and go all out against each other. Plus, you had Kane at his most dominant and even lasted until the end with Austin.

As for the rest of the event, it has my all-time favorite one-on-one ladder match (that I can't watch anymore ) between Benoit/Jericho and a good championship bout between HHH and Kurt Angle.

2007 is right there though. Tremendous Rumble with the Undertaker/HBK action and 'Taker winning it all. Additionally for the event, you had one of the best matches in years between Umaga/Cena in a Last Man Standing match.

I'm going to give 2008 a shout too solely based on Cena's completely shocking return to Madison Square Garden. That was crazy.

2001 by far for me.

It had Kane last such a long time to be one of the last two while making a record breaking 11 eliminations, some surprise entries in there, they introduced weapons in there which spiced it up a bit. There have been times in Rumbles in the past where I've been slightly bored or uninterested but this Rumble was just none stop action.

Best non-Rumble matches at a Royal Rumble?

Street Fight for the WWF Title: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack (RR2000)

Ladder Match for the IC Title: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit (RR2001)

WWF Title Match: Kurt Angle vs. Triple H (RR2001)

Ric Flair vs. Vince McMahon (RR2002)

WWE Title: Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit (RR2003)

Last Man Standing Match for the World Title: Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels (RR2004)

Shawn Michaels vs. Edge (RR2005)

Last Man Standing Match for the WWE Title: John Cena vs. Umaga (RR2007)

...and several others I can't be bothered listing. But the ones in bold are the best. Shame I won't ever get to watch two of them again.

As for actual Rumbles, 2001 is the best. 2002 was great too, especially Mr Perfect being in it. 2005 is a personal favorite of mine because that's when they made it obvious that Cena and Batista were their next big stars. Last year's was cool too.

I recently re-watched Flair/McMahon from the 2002 Royal Rumble and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Flair gets his ass kicked for the majority of it, makes a comeback, beats up Vince for a bit and then it's over. I liked the parts with the camera (first from Vince heeling it up and then from Flair in his comeback), but otherwise, it's unremarkable to me now.

On the other hand, I'm probably one of the few, but I loved the LMS between Shawn/HHH at '04. Then again, I liked most of their matches during their feud, anyhow.

In my opinion, 2 of the greatest matches of all time.

WWE Championship Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit Royal Rumble 2003

WWF Championship Street Fight Cactus Jack vs. Triple H.

One of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    On the other hand, I'm probably one of the few, but I loved the LMS between Shawn/HHH at '04. Then again, I liked most of their matches during their feud, anyhow.
    It is a great match and I love it, I think people were put off by the ending at the time and still see it as not being that good because they remember it for the ending. But watching it again now when the ending doesn't really matter, it's a really good match.

Hey guys I just put a poll up, so yo can vote on this!

I voted twice, once for the 2001 Rumble and again for the Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit match from 2003.

Triple H vs Cactus Jack at RR 00 is my favourite match of all time. I've watched it so many times I can pretty much call every spot before it happens but I still love it.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

1990 Royal Rumble. It was the first time we saw Hogan face off against Warrior. Never again has that type of feeling been duplicate. Undertaker/HBK came close though.

Royal Rumble 2001 is the greatest Rumble match although I can see why 1992 gets praised as the best. I think as mentioned the difference with the two Rumbles is that both had huge star power, but I tend to say 2001 had the all-time stars more in their prime than the 1992 counterpart.

As for non Rumble match Angle vs. Benoit is still the greatest although I love Cactus Jack/HHH and the ladder match with Jericho/Benoit.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeda90GT View Post
    1990 Royal Rumble. It was the first time we saw Hogan face off against Warrior. Never again has that type of feeling been duplicate. Undertaker/HBK came close though.
    I agree with this, but Austin/Rock at Rumble 2001 gets a nod for being on the level of those two face offs.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Miss HHH View Post
    Triple H vs Cactus Jack at RR 00 is my favourite match of all time. I've watched it so many times I can pretty much call every spot before it happens but I still love it.
    It is an amazing match, I watched it about two weeks ago. It's one of those matches where you get to a certain point in the match where you can't believe it's still going (but in a good way), you feel like they have done everything there is to do then Triple H is pildriven onto the announce table. A phenomenal match with an amazing ending.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Every year here somebody asks which was the greatest Rumble ever and every year most of you say 1992 and while I agree that it was an amazing match, IMO the real best Rumble ever took place two years before that one.

The 1990 is the epitome of what The Royal Rumble is all about and as I've said before it is the grandfather of every single Rumble staple that goes on today.

It had the first record setting survival performance, when Million Dollar Man lasted 35 min or so.

It had non stop action.

The first Rumble gang elimination, whein everyone in the ring joined forces to eliminate Earthquake.

It started feuds like Piper/Bad News and continued others like Demolition/Colossal Connection and Savage/Rohdes.

The match had virtually every major star in the company at the time and it reads like a who's who list of Hall of Famers and should be HOF...Hogan, Warrior, Savage, Andre, Piper, Dibiase, Jake, Hart, HBK, Dusty, Rude, Perfect, Demolition and so on.

It also gave us the greatest dream match showdown of all time when Hogan and Warrior locked up for the first time, a moment that's been imitated several times (Austin/Rock) (Cena/Orton), but never duplicated because they had never fought before and it was truly a dream match.

Seriously for old timers like me I can only tell some of you younger guys how much of a holy shit moment that was for a first grader like me to have seen back then.

Plus Hogan became the only current WWE champion to win the Rumble match which didn't seem like a big deal back then but its a pretty unique distinction to have now.

Anyways I've watched it several times in recent years and it holds up very well and still is the best IMO.

I think 92, 01, 04, 08 could round out a top 5 but 90 is easily best for me.

And as for single matches, its a no contest IMO...Angle/Benoit by a mile.

I will side with you on Royal Rumble 90 being the blueprint.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

[QUOTE=BadNewsFan;3695133It also gave us the greatest dream match showdown of all time when Hogan and Warrior locked up for the first time, a moment that's been imitated several times (Austin/Rock) (Cena/Orton), but never duplicated because they had never fought before and it was truly a dream match.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was trying to get at. This was such a HUGE deal back then. Some of prior showdowns come close, but never at the same level of those two. Cena/Taker will be a great holy shit moment, but again...we've seen them face each other already. Plus both have been defeated many times already, unlike Warrior & Hogan at the time.

The best Royal Rumble Match for me is still 1992. It had the best collection of talent, a great ending, exciting moments throughout, and Flair's performance was probably my single favorite Royal Rumble Match performance.

My top 5 would be:

1. 1992
    2. 2001
    3. 1990
    4. 2008
    5. 2009

Yes, I actually loved the 2009 Royal Rumble.

As far as single matches go, my favorite is by far: John Cena vs. Umaga - WWE Title LMS Match, RR 07

My top 5 singles match would be:

1. Cena/Umaga - WWE Title LMS Match, RR 07
    2. HHH/Foley - WWF Title Match, RR 00
    3. Benoit/Jericho - IC Title Ladder Match, RR 01
    4. Angle/Benoit - WWE Title Match, RR 03
    5. Steamboat/Rude - RR 88

surrender

2001 cause of Kane's run during it, they made him look so strong and threatening, he outlasted Rock and taker who were two main eventers...hell he eliminated the Rock and he eliminated 11 men during that Rumble match (including the Rock). It's a true shame that they didn't push kane after that because I feel he could've really been dominating with a performance like that during the rumble.
    BEST AVATAR IN THE WORLD!
    The winner of Summerfest!'s Signature Face-Off!
    Thanks to all who give rep

Who's making these polls? Again something major is left out. What about all of the early Royal Rumbles BEFORE the winner was guaranteed a WrestleMania main event. The Royal Rumble was better then because ANYBODY could win and thus there was suspense all the way through. Ever since 1993 you know the winner has to be someone who can main event WrestleMania so the majority has been filler while everyone waits for those two or three people.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    Who's making these polls? Again something major is left out. What about all of the early Royal Rumbles BEFORE the winner was guaranteed a WrestleMania main event. The Royal Rumble was better then because ANYBODY could win and thus there was suspense all the way through. Ever since 1993 you know the winner has to be someone who can main event WrestleMania so the majority has been filler while everyone waits for those two or three people.
    This is why we have the OTHER Category!

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

A battle royal with no prize is pointless, hence why the concept has faded away into the past.

92 Rumble will always be my favorite wrestling match of all time. Too much nostalgia. I remember when I was a kid I would sit starry eyed and cross legged on the floor watching every second of that match without blinking. That's one of those matches that made me such a big professional wrestling fan to begin with. My favorite part is the one on one showdown with Piper and Flair. I always loved the way those two guys wrestled each other. Flair is downright hilarious in that match looking back at it now. The 92 Rumble is probably the only wrestling match that I could watch every single day, and it would never get old to me.

The 90 and 91 Rumbles were awesome too.

When I was a little kid I was kind of obsessed with the concept of the Royal Rumble. Those three Rumbles(90-91-92) were just so awesome. I remember rounding up as many of the kids in my neighborhood one day for a trampoline Royal Rumble.

Somebody broke their leg.

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    It also gave us the greatest dream match showdown of all time when Hogan and Warrior locked up for the first time, a moment that's been imitated several times (Austin/Rock) (Cena/Orton), but never duplicated because they had never fought before and it was truly a dream match.
    This was the face I made when I seen that happen when I was a kid:

90 Rumble was fucking epic. Great shout. I almost forgot about how awesome the Bad News Brown vs Roddy Piper feud was.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post

Read before you comment! It says other.

Quote Originally Posted by Crippler View Post
    A battle royal with no prize is pointless, hence why the concept has faded away into the past.
    Who says there has to be no prize? A title shot on RAW would work because anyone could still win it. But having the winner main event WrestleMania makes it meaningless to have 30 guys in the match when only about 3 of them can be considered.

The 2001 Royal Rumble is my favorite with the 2000 Rumble coming after that. Both rumble matches featured arguably the best roster the WWE ever had so there was a ton of star power and fun moments throughout.

Triple H vs Cactus Jack is probably the best one on one match to take place the PPV but I loved the Benoit vs Jericho Ladder Match as well. Honorable mention to Edge vs Jeff Hardy from 2009.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Thread Information