View Poll Results: Are Punk's shoots helpful or harmful to the WWE?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Helpful

21 70.00%
  • Harmful

9 30.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Punk's shoots help or hurt the WWE?

Banned

Default Do Punk's shoots help or hurt the WWE?

Simple question: When Punk shoots, is he helping the WWE and its storylines or is he going into business for himself?

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: Do Punk's shoots help or hurt the WWE?

Depends.

If it fits within the context of the storyline, it helps. If it does not, it hurts.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Well he's not really shooting since they must have approved everything he said prior to him giving the promo but I don't really find it entertaining so is not helping me.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Banned

Well, they have to be worked shoots, since there's no way WWE would let him talk on-air without knowing for sure it was something they were ok with him saying (otherwise, they'd just cut him off, but that would be awkward for the show.)

Interesting topic. I say Punk goes into business for himself more times than not although that doesn't mean it doesn't help his feuds.

I say this simply for his attack on Miz a few weeks back that was unwarranted and we know his real hate for the guy for what he said on screen. He just had to let it be known to the masses.

It's funny that his first pipe bomb is actually what his second pipe bomb was accusing of others. It's ironic because I remember the days when Bret Hart would go all "shooty" and the fans would call him a whiner. The times when he would rant on about being robbed of "opportunities" he was promised for re-signing in late 1996. It was over some people's heads, but Bret was speaking about things like his rematch with HBK not happening at Mania 13. He was telling the truth about the fans turning on "good guys" for "hyenas" like Austin who loved violence and going against the system.

Now I brought that up to compare Punk's "shooting" nature compared to Hart's "shooting" nature. He would downplay HBK as champion and play up Austin as "the best in the world".
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I was very disappointed when CM Punk brought up Daniel Bryan. Everything else in his promo was fine and served a purpose. Let me explain:

- We’re told the only real shoot in CM Punk’s promo on this week’s Raw was the mentioning of Daniel Bryan. The others were mentioned in the promo layout. With Brodus Clay and Tyson Kidd not major faces on TV it wasn’t worried about. With Bryan they didn’t want to show any allegiance to Punk.

Credit: Richard Gray @ wrestlingnewsworld.com
    Daniel Bryan came in and his character was all about wrestling. He was pushed on the card, but he didn't have a character whatsoever. He created the Yes chant at WM 28 and it opened WWE eyes. It then went into a storyline with Kane that has made Bryan's character flourish, not to mention a catchword that is very popular. I have been saying for a while now (on this forum and other social sites) that Daniel Bryan has become a comedic act and there's nothing wrong with that. He's apart of entertaining/absurd segments, selling merchandise, and has a prominent position on the card. This character transformation has slightly devalued Bryan's in ring prestige, but it's given him a niche for his character. He's found his deal that gets him over, keeps fans entertained, and makes him money. I'm not going to sit here and tell you how Daniel Bryan (the real guy) feels about that -- he could be festering backstage about it or its possible he's embraced it. Sometimes when he comes out you can start to see him smile, so I'm assuming he's enjoying himself. What CM Punk did last night was harmful to Daniel Bryan. Based on the report I posted it's possible WWE wasn't happy about what Punk did. Imagine if WWE is pissed off and takes it out on Daniel Bryan. WWE has focused so much time and energy on Team Hell No, yet CM Punk just shit all over it. What if a fan loves chanting "YES" to Daniel Bryan but no feels less enthusiastic about it because CM Punk says Bryan puts on a "happy face?" Wouldn't you feel less inclined to cheer someone if you knew they hated their character?

I'm not a Daniel Bryan fan but I'm happy for him he's found a character, selling merchandise, and being a solid part of RAW/SD every week. If CM Punk is upset with how they are booking DB or if Bryan himself is upset that's their opinion. But I find it absurd to get upset when that "crappy" character is being given prominent TV time every week that others wrestlers would be dying to get -- just ask Ryder about that...

I don't see how his in-ring prestige has devalued, when he is tag team champion and he lost to Sheamus in 18 seconds at WM, and before his push was constantly losing.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

I think shoot promos have a certain time and place, and shouldn't be used on a regular basis or in a context that has nothing to do with a specific program or feud. Like Punk has a tendency to be a real asshole when it's unnecessary and uncalled for, which is a shame because he is the most talented guy on the microphone in the business today.

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    I don't see how his in-ring prestige has devalued, when he is tag team champion and he lost to Sheamus in 18 seconds at WM, and before his push was constantly losing.
    You're missing the point. Punk described him as a submission style guy. We know those guys to be no nonsense, straightforward. Bryan's current character is a playful one for the WWE Universe. It's a 180 from the guy that came into the WWE on NXT. The longer hair, bigger beard, paranoid persona is one of absurdity that the crowd loves to interact with. Are we suppose to believe that character can be a serious World Champion once again? Only way Daniel Bryan becomes a World Champion again is if he turns on Kane, stops interacting with the crowd (Yes/No Chants) and becomes focused and intense. That's sounds great on paper but why would Daniel Bryan want to do that when he's entertaining fans and making money off his shirts?

This is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    You're missing the point. Punk described him as a submission style guy. We know those guys to be no nonsense, straightforward. Bryan's current character is a playful one for the WWE Universe. It's a 180 from the guy that came into the WWE on NXT. The longer hair, bigger beard, paranoid persona is one of absurdity that the crowd loves to interact with. Are we suppose to believe that character can be a serious World Champion once again? Only way Daniel Bryan becomes a World Champion again is if he turns on Kane, stops interacting with the crowd (Yes/No Chants) and becomes focused and intense. That's sounds great on paper but why would Daniel Bryan want to do that when he's entertaining fans and making money off his shirts?

This is the point.
    That was the point of Punk's promo, Bryan shouldn't have to do that to make money and become world champion but he has to or else no matter how good he is he won't be given any opportunities.

All We Have is Right Now The Champ's Avatar

If the Bryan mention wasn't approved, then it shouldn't have happened.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    I think shoot promos have a certain time and place, and shouldn't be used on a regular basis or in a context that has nothing to do with a specific program or feud. Like Punk has a tendency to be a real asshole when it's unnecessary and uncalled for, which is a shame because he is the most talented guy on the microphone in the business today.
    Pretty much, but last night was a good time and place. I also think it is the only way Punk believes he could really hang and do damage to The Rock to kick off the program. It goes to show how much he sees Rock as a promo threat and legend.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Knows he isn't welcome

I wonder if Punk has considered the possibility that Bryan is having a good time doing what he is doing...

Nah, that's impossible!

Notice me, Maddox Senpai Falcone's Avatar

Nah! It's not like Bryan had a track record of doing insanely goofy and childish stuff during matches and promos before coming to WWE. Punk's on the level.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Nah! It's not like Bryan had a track record of doing insanely goofy and childish stuff during matches and promos before coming to WWE. Punk's on the level.
    Shhhhh.

SUPER SERIOUS WRESTLING DRAGON IS SUPER SERIOUS ABOUT WRESTLING! JUST LIKE HIS TRAINER, WILLIAM REGAL IS ALWAYS SERIOUS AND TAKEN HIMSELF SUPER SERIOUSLY!

WRESTLING IS A SPORT!

YOU WILL COMPLY.

To compare to another "shoot" Scott Steiner in 2000 on Ric Flair. Punk's stuff for the most part are not oh I am gonna say this guy suck even though there is no relationship in storylines. He does it with anyone he has an issue with take The Miz shoot for instance, he was mean spirited yes but he wasn't just ragging on Miz for no reason, he was getting a lie detector test that Punk didn't want to do. You look at the Lil Jimmy gets more screen time than Tyson Kidd time, it goes back to the original Punk shoot. You look at what Steiner did, he crapped on Flair for pretty much no reason other than he had real life issues with him and not that Steiner was feuding with him or anything at the time. I can't think of a time Punk has crossed THAT line.

As for Punk's shoot help or hurt, if he does it every week it hurts but if does it at the right times it does. Think about Money in the Bank 11, there was a huge buzz that existed that drove the bu-rateout. I think this helped the build to the Rumble and I hope it proves in the ratings and buy-rates going forward. Now yes, Rock helps but this may created more.

The one in Las Vegas and his most recent promo before his face off with the Rock were good for business. That is because they fit within the universe of the WWE. All Punk was saying last night was that wrestlers who connect and get the masses to cheer for them get more opportunities in the WWE than wrestlers that don't. This fits within the context of treating what goes on in the WWE as real.

Even in the UFC fighters often get opportunities they don't deserve because they draw money and connect with the fans. That's all Punk was saying. He was saying the fans influence the opportunities wrestlers are given and that shouldn't be the case. That the fans should not matter and that all that should matter is who is the best at wrestling. Which he is because he is the champion, Therefore, the fans should bow down and admire him.

Enter The Rock who is the voice of the people. And you have great storytelling. Punk’s first and second pipe bombs did not undermine business. They did not take away from a fan’s ability to suspend their disbelief.

The beauty of Punk’s first and most recent pipe bomb is that they made the obsessive stereotypical IWC person cream their pants by making them feel like they were being spoken to, while still not undermining everyone else's ability to suspend their disbelief.

I hated the I am Phil Brooks shit though. That undermines storytelling and is bad for business.

But saying that the fans have an influence on wrestler’s opportunities does not.

Thanks Bender this awesome AV and banner!

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

It's helpful for one reason.

It brings attention. Attention brings ratings. Ratings brings money.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

Banned

As I've said before, THe Daniel Bryan part was the part that I had the biggest issue with.

And stuff like what he says to Miz, Del Rio, and guy he just doesn't like in real life is very much uncalled for. He'll get a pass because he's Punk, but there's a definite double standard here. Would it have been okay if HHH would have told Punk "You should have paid attention in wrestling school"? Absolutely not.

This character transformation has slightly devalued Bryan's in ring prestige
    How so?

He still has one of the best matches on the show each night.

Imagine if WWE is pissed off and takes it out on Daniel Bryan. WWE has focused so much time and energy on Team Hell No, yet CM Punk just shit all over it. What if a fan loves chanting "YES" to Daniel Bryan but no feels less enthusiastic about it because CM Punk says Bryan puts on a "happy face?" Wouldn't you feel less inclined to cheer someone if you knew they hated their character?
    1) Why would WWE take it out on Daniel Bryan?

2) Do you really think the crowd reaction for Bryan is going to change because of that promo? Bryan will remain mega over with the smarks, casuals, everyone.

3) What evidence is there that Bryan hates his character? I get the impression that he enjoys doing fun stuff like this. I don't think he's Mr. Serious-Submission, No-Comedy like you think he is...

surrender

Banned

1) Why would WWE take it out on Daniel Bryan?
    Because the company has always acted rationally when handing out punishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe L. View Post
    Because the company has always acted rationally when handing out punishments.
    Still doubt anything negative will happen to Bryan because of what Punk said.

surrender

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    Still doubt anything negative will happen to Bryan because of what Punk said.
    Oh, I do too. I'm just saying its not out of the realm of possibility.

Not Even God Can Save You SensesFailed's Avatar

I do kind of agree the WWE does some weird shit at times... like.. scratch your head, why the fuck kind of things

Props to Hayze for the banner

There is something wrong when people think Cena is a better in-ring worker than Tanahashi
    2009/2010/2011 MMA Diehard and 2009 Underappreciated Award Winner

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    3) What evidence is there that Bryan hates his character? I get the impression that he enjoys doing fun stuff like this. I don't think he's Mr. Serious-Submission, No-Comedy like you think he is...
    If he were a real srs wrassler, he'd wrestle under his real name: John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt! And prove himself by performing ... THE SPOT THAT NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(As if the Daniel Bryan Manliness Meter or "The Dazzler" aren't evidence enough of how seriously Bryan takes himself.)

And while WWE has never acted rationally, especially when it comes to punishing talent, I doubt they'd do anything to D-Bry over a comment Punk made, especially when Bryan seems to genuinely enjoy comedy bits.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Thread Information