Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concern for Punk/Rock, Rock's WM Role

Default Concern for Punk/Rock, Rock's WM Role

At this time, there is reportedly growing concern within WWE as to whether or not CM Punk vs. The Rock at The Royal Rumble is a wise move. The Rumble is a pay-per-view that tends to sell itself and has traditionally always been one of the most purchased PPVs throughout the years. The concern is over whether or not having The Rock in a high profile match at the Rumble is the best use of WWE's time and focus.

There are some WWE officials who feel that with The Rock appearing at the pay-per-view, the attention paid to the Royal Rumble match will be less than what it should be from both an advertising and creative standpoint.

Currently there is no set plan or path on exactly what is going to happen regarding The Rock at the Royal Rumble and the road to WrestleMania. A few months ago, people would have stated that it was a sure thing The Rock wins the title at Rumble. But now there is less certainty as WWE is said to have not made final decisions on any of the high profile names, feuds and matches for WrestleMania 29. They will be working heavily on this over the next several weeks.

Credit: ewrestlingnews.com
    I would be extremely angry if we didn't get Punk/Rock since WWE basically opened the doors to the predictability factor for the WWE Title when they teased the match at RAW 1000. Because of that night it prevented Ryback from getting the WWE Title, it made the title scene predictable, and it hurt the ratings. The match NEEDS to happen at the Royal Rumble. They've invested too much into Punk's reign and the promotion of The Rock for this event. I believe they will, and all this second guessing-concern may just be a way of getting the fans re-energized about the match since it was pretty much teased back in July.

Rock winning the title from Punk is NOT a sure thing. If Rock fails to win the WWE Title there is absolutely no reason to do Rock/Cena II. The only reason that match would make sense would be if Rock was champion and Cena won the Rumble to challenge him. There are other challenges for Rock out there. Having another match with Cena with no title on the line is not reason enough for fans to get excited about the match. WWE could go the route of Cena wanting a rematch and putting his career on the line, but that's a ripoff of Taker/HBK II. The only two logical matches for Rock under this scenario would be against Brock Lesnar or The Undertaker, and that's even difficult because of the dates for Brock and Taker being limited in terms of appearances/storyline.

Of course there is the momentum factor. Failing to win the title from Punk would be damaging for The Rock's value at Wrestlemania. Furthermore, he's advertised for the Elimination Chamber PPV in New Orleans. Rock MUST win the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble. There's no point in him being back if he doesn't become WWE Champion. He made his intentions clear the night after WM 28 and at RAW 1000.

What about CM Punk? If CM Punk loses the title to The Rock the booking for him is quite simple: blame WWE doctors, blame his knee injury, and blame WWE for putting him in a TLC Match. He can then go on a crusade about getting no respect -- this would lead to a mini feud with Ric Flair, followed by a WM build up with Stone Cold Steve Austin.

What about Ryback? Another loss to CM Punk would be horrible, but how they book this match will go a long way for the success/shortcomings of Ryback. Interference by The Shield is too predictable. However The Shield should get involved in this TLC Match. I would like to see chaos during the final part of this match with The Shield getting involved and The Rock coming in to clean house only to accidentally cost Ryback the match. This could be Rock giving the Rock Bottom to Ryback thinking CM Punk was behind him. What would be the point of getting Rock some heat with the fans for costing Ryback? Down the road it would make sense because it would get the fans more behind John Cena in a potential title match against The Rock at WM 29, seeing how The Rock cost Ryback -- even though it was an accident. Ryback's WM match should be against Big Show. How they get to that match is a mystery. A good idea is to have Ryback/Show have a backstage run in at the January 14th edition of RAW in which Big Show laughs at Ryback for losing. Ryback can then lay Big Show out with a spear/meathook clothesline only for Dolph to come and cash in his MITB for the win. Big Show can return the favor by costing Ryback the Royal Rumble. This would start the build for their WM match and it would be further escalated at the chamber match.

Thoughts on the news posted and my idea.

Last Call

Default Re: Concern for Punk/Rock, Rock's WM Role

I liked the idea of adding the stip that Ryback couldn't challenge as long as Punk was WWE Champion if he loses the TLC Match.

You COULD have Rock beat Punk via count out or DQ or interference setting up a Triple Threat for the WWE Championship with Cena at Mania. Pretty good story there. Either Rock keeps true to his word, Cena gets redemption for the least successful year of his career, or Punk continues being the Best in the World.
    Vote godAM and WrestlingMVP for TT KOTF

If they backed out of it now, it would be horrific/hilarious.

But this is a bullshit report. This would be like backing out of Cena/Rock last year because 'WrestleMania sells itself'.

This article stinks of NEWZ.

Rock's beating Punk at the Rumble for the Title. It will be Rock vs. Cena II at Mania for the title. They've done nothing but build to that and hype for that since the last match.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

My two cents; Last year's Rumble PPV, from the over use of video promos to a mediocre Rumble match, was pretty frustrating to watch. Paying customers deserve a high profile match.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Here here.

I actually have no problem with it going on last either. Punk's 400+ day reign bowing out in the main event sits well with me, and I've always liked the idea of the title taking preference of everything, even the Rumble.

Agreed, if his reign is going to end, it ought to be on last. That's a big deal. Unless they wanted him to enter the Rumble in frustration at having lost or something.

Banned

If they back out of this match, I am going to be so damn pissed off. I've been looking forward to seeing Punk/Rock for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    This article stinks of NEWZ.

Rock's beating Punk at the Rumble for the Title. It will be Rock vs. Cena II at Mania for the title. They've done nothing but build to that and hype for that since the last match.
    This.

And I also have no issue with Rock/Punk going on last. To be honest, with what I've seen regarding Rock's schedule, I no longer have any issue with him winning the title either. He's already confirmed to be working every Raw this month and some SmackDowns as well, the latter of which is above and beyond what anyone could have expected.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Rock will win the title for sure after the promo that Cena gave last week where he practically spelled out the way he was going to avenge all his failures in 2012.

Rock will win the title and Cena will win the Rumble so the last match thing doesn't matter quite as much, though with Rock having his first title match in over a decade, I would be surprised if his match with Punk didn't go on last.

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post

Rock will win the title and Cena will win the Rumble so the last match thing doesn't matter quite as much, though with Rock having his first title match in over a decade, I would be surprised if his match with Punk didn't go on last.
    Makes me wonder why we bother watching pro wrestling if we already know whats going to happen, i'm sure the WWE will not make it as predictable as that

We know what's going to happen in Undertaker's match every year, and it still turns out enjoyable. It's possible for the same to occur here.

HAYZE

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

If the Rock wins the title (and I assume he will), it will be very interesting to see how the WWE books the finish. Since he beat Cena clean does that mean he has to beat Punk the same way?

He'll win clean.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    He'll win clean.
    So in other words the only person who can beat one of the most dominant WWE champs in recent history is someone who is only around once a year

My only problem with a clean win is when does Punk get his retribution? Or is Punk not going to have a rematch with the Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    So in other words the only person who can beat one of the most dominant WWE champs in recent history is someone who is only around once a year
    Punk hasn't been "dominant" since he turned heel. Every major win he's had since then has been cheap.

HAYZE

Although the quality of his matches have been pretty good - his matches with Jericho, Bryan, and Cena were just awesome in 2012 so I guess in that regard I consider him dominant.

I could see WWE swerving us and giving us Ryback/Cena at 'Mania (WWE Title) and Rock vs. Punk in a grudge match.

Banned

Punk hasn't been "dominant" since he turned heel. Every major win he's had since then has been cheap.
    Dominant in the sense that he's been having the best matches out of anybody throughout the entire year ..u know, the only type of dominance that actually matters, because outcomes are pre-determined.

CM Punk WILL DEFEAT The Rock at the Royal Rumble!

At Elimination Chamber, John Cena will eliminate CM Punk, and The Rock will defeat John Cena to become WWE Champion.

At WrestleMania we'll get a triple threat match, with John Cena defeating The Rock to become a 13 time World Champion.

Cena vs. Rock one-on-one could be a SummerSlam rematch.
    LETS GO XENA! XENA SUCKS!

/r/womenswrestling

Why can't that happen with Rock beating Punk at the Rumble?

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    Dominant in the sense that he's been having the best matches out of anybody throughout the entire year ..u know, the only type of dominance that actually matters, because outcomes are pre-determined.
    The post I was responding to was talking about outcomes, though...

HAYZE

Why can't that happen with Rock beating Punk at the Rumble?
    Rock doesn't have the title from RR to WM; Punk remains Champion for a little longer and gets a win over Rock; leads to a WM triple threat.

Though as much as I've been for a triple threat, I'm starting to lean towards it just being Cena vs. Rock a little. But only if Taker comes back to face Punk.
    LETS GO XENA! XENA SUCKS!

/r/womenswrestling

Cena loses a second time, though. Which is far worse than Punk losing to me. Punk is a heel who's been taking shortcuts and can afford a loss.

HAYZE

Punk v Rock should go on last and I don't see anything wrong it. It is a huge match, but I could see it going on before Rumble too. I don't see where the huge conflict comes in. It might even be more dramatic to see if Cena coulsd win to "force" a rematch with Rock. The added variable is EC though if Rock works there. It gives more options.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information