Thread: Fail or Flourish

Default Fail or Flourish

So every year WWE debuts new superstars or repackages old ones some are fails (Tensai) some are still being established (Cesaro) and some are Hits (Ryback) so who do you think will debut next year and will either fail or flourish.

Fail: Big E Langston ( I know he debuted last year but he has barely anything to do): I just don't see the WWE being capable of booking Big E the right way and he will eventually end up as the next Knox, Tomko and Snitsky, a monster used to enhance others.

In-Between: Bray Wyatt: The character has some much potential and the guy is great at it but after a hot debut I see the crappy creative team catching up to him and not having the creativity to really take the character to the next level. I do think he is good enough with it that he won't be a complete disaster.

Flourish: Kassius Ohno: I may be biased here, HERO MARK!!!, but he is the complete package and if they debut him correctly this guy can be huge, they did steal his finishing move, but I see big things in his future.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Default Re: Fail or Flourish

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    So every year WWE debuts new superstars or repackages old ones some are fails (Tensai) some are still being established (Cesaro) and some are Hits (Ryback) so who do you think will debut next year and will either fail or flourish.

Fail: Big E Langston ( I know he debuted last year but he has barely anything to do): I just don't see the WWE being capable of booking Big E the right way and he will eventually end up as the next Knox, Tomko and Snitsky, a monster used to enhance others.

In-Between: Bray Wyatt: The character has some much potential and the guy is great at it but after a hot debut I see the crappy creative team catching up to him and not having the creativity to really take the character to the next level. I do think he is good enough with it that he won't be a complete disaster.

Flourish: Kassius Ohno: I may be biased here, HERO MARK!!!, but he is the complete package and if they debut him correctly this guy can be huge, they did steal his finishing move, but I see big things in his future.
    If they book him like Edge he will be huge.

I dont see much in Langston either. I am sure he will be the typical big man to an extent but he will mostly fill the pre-championship Mark Henry role.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    I dont see much in Langston either. I am sure he will be the typical big man to an extent but he will mostly fill the pre-championship Mark Henry role.
    He's pretty much Henry's replacement.

So every year WWE debuts new superstars or repackages old ones some are fails (Tensai).
    I don't see Tensai as a failure by any means. Did anyone expect him to come back and be a main event guy? I don't think so, and neither did WWE I'm sure. Tensai was brought back as an enhancement talent, and I think he has done a great job in that role.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect View Post
    I don't see Tensai as a failure by any means. Did anyone expect him to come back and be a main event guy? I don't think so, and neither did WWE I'm sure. Tensai was brought back as an enhancement talent, and I think he has done a great job in that role.
    He beat Cena, they sure as hell didn't see him as an enhancement talent at first.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

He beat Cena, they sure as hell didn't see him as an enhancement talent at first.
    But that's the way it has to be done at first otherwise the fans would never believe that Tensai is a threat to anyone. For example, if Tensai came in and lost to say Ryder, Kingston, Santino, in his first three weeks and then in his fourth week he was wrestling John Cena, no one would believe Tensai had a chance. But because Tensai beat Cena first and then wrestled guys like Ryder, etc the fans know that (kayfabe) Tensai is capable of beating anyone at anytime. So when Ryder beats Tensai the average fans thinks Ryder is that much better because he beat the guy that beat Cena. That's just how enhancement talent is made, they have to beat at least one big name to make that wrestler seem more formidable.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect View Post
    But that's the way it has to be done at first otherwise the fans would never believe that Tensai is a threat to anyone. For example, if Tensai came in and lost to say Ryder, Kingston, Santino, in his first three weeks and then in his fourth week he was wrestling John Cena, no one would believe Tensai had a chance. But because Tensai beat Cena first and then wrestled guys like Ryder, etc the fans know that (kayfabe) Tensai is capable of beating anyone at anytime. So when Ryder beats Tensai the average fans thinks Ryder is that much better because he beat the guy that beat Cena. That's just how enhancement talent is made, they have to beat at least one big name to make that wrestler seem more formidable.
    No, no enhancement talent is going to come in and beat your top star in order to make the lower card guys better when he loses to tem. Specially since beating Tensai does not really enhance anyone as everyone beats him.

By what I understand, Tensai was supposed to be a huge challenger to CM Punk's WWE Championship after the Jericho feud ran its course. But he was an almost immediate flop, and they ended up giving his spot to Daniel Bryan and Kane, while he quickly fell down the card.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

A big reason in my opinion for the burial of Tensai was that he was a Laurinatis Guy and after Big Johnny lost power...Triple H couldn't be bothered, especially given the crappy crowd reactions.

Maybe it's because I watch NXT, but I'm not going to predict a "fail" for Big E. Langston or any of The Shield. But I will say that Brad Maddox is the most likely of the recent call-ups to "fail".

Big E. and Rollins will be "in-between", where they'll have some success but true stardom won't come until maybe 2014/15 for them.

Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose will "flourish".

I'm not including folks like Bray Wyatt or Kassius Ohno because they're not on the main-roster yet. May not even get on the main-roster.

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

I think the problem Tensai suffers is the same problem a lot of guys in the WWE have: all he does is exist. He hasn't been given any characterization or any sort of forward momentum. Most fans still probably see him as a white fat guy who thinks he's from Japan.

That really is a big problem WWE has, especially with the midcard. They don't develop characters anymore. They slap a rather thinly-fleshed-out gimmick on a guy, send him out, and put him in feuds that don't really mean anything or advance anything. And they expect us to give a crap.

More and better characters are a must, with better development, if guys are to flourish instead of fail. It's the difference between Legacy and La Familia: Cody and Ted were developed enough as individuals to move on without major difficulties, whereas Ryder and Hawkins needed serious overhauls after the group disbanded and even then never really gained traction, at least not for a long time. And even this isn't a great example, because Cody and Ted weren't all that well developed either.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Fail: Of the latest crop of new talents, I can't think of anyone that isn't working. I can easily say Brodus Clay and Tensai but that is because they are just stuck where they are on the pecking order.

Unsure: Antonio Cesaro, Ryback, Roman Reigns & Big E. Langston. Antonio is great in ring but he's stuck being just the anti-American with not much difference in his gimmick. I don't know if Ryback will be a sustained star or if he will be like Goldberg and have a limited shelf life. The jury is still out on the other two for me, they haven't shown enough,

Flourish: Brad Maddox, Damien Sandow, Seth Rollins & Dean Ambrose. Ambrose is an immediate star. Rollins will eventually prove to be the Shawn Michaels of the future. Damien is one of the freshest characters in sometime. Brad Maddox is entertaining in his role and I think the sky is the limit for the next Dolph Ziggler.

Thread Information