Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WWE needs THIS title...

Default WWE needs THIS title...

With all of this TV time WWE is trying to fill, they need to create a Legends title. No not a gimmick belt that means nothing like Booker T had in TNA and not a title that all wrestlers will compete for. But a title that is defended one a month on RAW and only features wrestlers over 50.

BUT... to make it different and to capitalize on the nostalgia, the Champion will always come out first and his challenger will be unknown until the announcement. After the champion is introduced and has made his way to the ring, Howard Finkel (he must always announce these matches) will say, "And his opponent..." There is a slight pause as we wait for the music. Will it be Dusty Rhodes? Jimmy Snuka? Roddy Piper? Hillbilly Jim? Bret Hart? Ric Flair? Hulk Hogan? Or somebody else? The music hits and causes a huge pop from the crowd who are over joyed to see one of their favorites once more.

The kayfabe reason for having the challenger coming out second and being a total surprise will be to say, "A true Legend has to be prepared to face ANYONE at any time." but the real reason is to build the suspense for the nostalgia pop.

Once a month (to play off of the old school 30 day rule - and to prevent the nostalgia from wearing off) the champion will return to RAW to face a yet unnamed challenger. The match will consist mostly of stalling and playing to the fans and very little wrestling. But that is the point of bringing these older guys back. For the fun factor - something that is seriously lacking from WWE today.

In WWE all the focus goes into the entrance and the finish. Very little thought or attention is given to the match anymore. So this would be a perfect fit.

It will help fill in TV time with wrestling (even if the action is minimal), it will be the perfect way to use the older guys and help them still seem relevant - "WWE as given these legends one more goal to reach, one more mountain to climb. The WWE LEGENDS Championship!" it won't take spots away from the younger guys, and it will bring in some old school nostalgia to help bring back viewers who have stopped watching.

I think this would be a great way to utilize the Legends without having the younger guys have to lay down for them.

They should take the WWE Legends logo - add "Champion" at the bottom and that would make a perfect center plate for the belt.

Who else likes this idea?
    Last edited by The_Boss; 12-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Default Re: WWE needs THIS title...

Let me guess. Hulk Hogan should be the first Legends Champion?

The RTruth
    RT bolieves in PW.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Let me guess. Hulk Hogan should be the first Legends Champion?
    He's in TNA. But maybe someday.

I actually like the idea. I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's kind of thing. But since there is three hours per Raw now, what would 10-15 minutes a month be? I liked seeing all the older guys like Sid, Backlund, etc in the build up to the Raw 1000 show. If they did do this, they wouldn't get a complaint from me. Never going to happen though.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

Banned

No. Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    No. Hell no.
    Why not? Specify.

You need to get over the past. By all means remember it and look back on it fondly but it's all you talk about. The 'history of wrestling' section is for you.

Yes, lets wheel out the big names from the past rather than make effort to make some new ones.

You know what? I actually kinda like this idea. As long as it is genuinely a 10-15 minute segment once a month and nothing more, I can see this going down pretty well. It gives the random legend return a purpose, should make for some fun segments/matches and everybody has a good time.

It wouldn't really be appropriate if this was done with someone like Hogan or Flair as they are far too big for such a segment. But most of the low-key legends would be fine.

Not sure if this would fly with the "Age Demographic", but im all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    But most of the 'low-key' legends would be fine.
    I see what you did there... Low-Ki for Legends Champion!

It's a clever idea but, I want to see this company move forward, not backwards.

Bender's Banner Shop of Freaks and Oddities
    NOW OPEN!

I'm not a fan of the idea, but I also don't think that it's absolute garbage either. However, I do think the company needs to utilize the titles they already have in a more effective way before introducing a new title becomes a good idea.

It's unique, I'll give you that.

The RTruth
    RT bolieves in PW.

Quote Originally Posted by Heteroflexible View Post
    Yes, lets wheel out the big names from the past rather than make effort to make some new ones.
    Let's see, currently when the older guys show up they humiliate the younger guys. And somehow you thing that makes the younger guys look better?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    Let's see, currently when the older guys show up they humiliate the younger guys. And somehow you thing that makes the younger guys look better?
    It worked for Heath Slater.

The RTruth
    RT bolieves in PW.

That's part of the problem, Boss. The older guys, when they are on TV, are given precedence over the current superstars. Giving them a whole title doesn't change the fact that WWE's attitude toward their current roster is that they are expendable when legends are available.

Although, like RT, I agree that this idea has merit. It's not bad in theory. It just would never be effectively brought about by WWE, and WWE has enough trouble booking titles as it is.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    You know what? I actually kinda like this idea. As long as it is genuinely a 10-15 minute segment once a month and nothing more, I can see this going down pretty well. It gives the random legend return a purpose, should make for some fun segments/matches and everybody has a good time.

It wouldn't really be appropriate if this was done with someone like Hogan or Flair as they are far too big for such a segment. But most of the low-key legends would be fine.
    It would never be looked at as more than an added attraction, and the suspense and nostalgic music would make it fun. Personally I would look forward to this more than watching a bunch of mark touts.

Notice me, Maddox Senpai Falcone's Avatar

The idea is bass ackwards.

Some snot noses, arrogant heel, I'll say Brad Maddox would be perfect for this role, gets a shot at every title, literally, all of them (except divas) in the space of a few months, and comes up either short (US and IC, maybe even World and Tag) or flat out destroyed (WWE title), before coming out with a new belt, and saying "You keep your little playthings, my title is better than your title, because my title makes me a legend!" Then all these legitimate legends keep coming back, and the in company legends keep trying to shut Maddox up, but he keeps narrowly winning, walking away with his Legends Championship every time, beating guys like Christian, Doink, Randy Orton, Vader, Sgt Slaughter and so on.

Eventually, Maddox throws himself a little party, attended by a couple of heels, as Maddox prepares to declare himself the greatest legend of all time, and the greatest challenge of all time, when over the sound system, a voice is heard.

"MADDOX! I think you're forgetting something... To be the man, YOU'VE GOT TO BEAT THE MAN! WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but ... dammit, give Falcy a modship!
    FALCONE 4 MOD 2027 (I'm being realistic)

Old School RAWs, Old School SmackDowns, random appearances during the push of a DVD, and WrestleMania's dance parties are enough legends for me. When it becomes a regular thing it is boring and to me that's what it would be. I rather see say the US title becoming the TV title and defended weekly.

How does them showing up and humiliating the younger guys do any good? If your constantly making the current generation look bad people will always clamour for bygone eras.

The legends have their place (to boost the show etc) I don't disagree, but you can achieve so much more with those there week in week out if you take the time to book things properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    That's part of the problem, Boss. The older guys, when they are on TV, are given precedence over the current superstars. Giving them a whole title doesn't change the fact that WWE's attitude toward their current roster is that they are expendable when legends are available.
    But it wouldn't be "giving them a whole title". There would be no legends division, no feuds drawn out over months, not series of matches leading up to a ppv. It would just be a 10-15 minute segment that showcases the legends. The "title" is just a kayfabe reason to have the match. I think this is a far better way to showcase the legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    I see what you did there... Low-Ki for Legends Champion!
    Low Ki is too good for any title but the WWE Champonship. Low Ki vs CM Punk at Wrestlemania. Book it

How does them showing up and humiliating the younger guys do any good? If your constantly making the current generation look bad people will always clamour for the good old days.
    It's doesn't do them any good. Yet that's how they are currently being used. If they used my idea the legends wouldn't have to humiliate the younger guys. They would be facing other legends.

But it wouldn't be "giving them a whole title". There would be no legends division, no feuds drawn out over months, not series of matches leading up to a ppv. It would just be a 10-15 minute segment that showcases the legends. The "title" is just a kayfabe reason to have the match. I think this is a far better way to showcase the legends.
    Legend shows up, reels off a bunch of catchphrases crowd goes wild and then an another legend arrives does the same and they have a match.

Riveting...

Legend shows up, reels off a bunch of catchphrases crowd goes wild and then an another legend arrives does the same and they have a match.

Riveting...
    That's just about what the CURRENT stars are doing on Saturday Morning Slam. lol

That's just about what the CURRENT stars are doing on Saturday Morning Slam. lol
    You mean on the kids show? What is your point, exactly?

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Thread Information