Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This should be seriously considered as a possible WrestleMania main event match

Banned

Default This should be seriously considered as a possible WrestleMania main event match

Ryback vs. CM Punk

Yeah, I know Punk vs. Taker, Punk vs. Triple H, Punk vs. Rock are what a lot of fans are talking about, but think about it. Ryback has been chasing Punk but can't seem to put him down. Punk loses the title to Rock at the Rumble, thus freeing Punk up to take on Ryback and give him a match that will solidify Ryback as legit main event and setting him for a post-Mania title hunt. Ryback vs. Cena at Summer Slam would definitely be a big ticket seller.

Default Re: This should be seriously considered as a possible WrestleMania main event match

I don't want to see it at TLC again, let alone Mania. and it's not because of Ryback but rather Punk. I am SO over him right now.

Default Re: This should be seriously considered as a possible WrestleMania main event match

Get out of hear with that.Now if you said something like Ryback/Cena(which could be a huge match,be saved for WM XXX when Ryback is really established),Ryback/Lesnar,Ryback/Show or even Ryback/Sheamus.But another Ryback/Punk match up does nothing for me.

Again if I was booking WM this coming up year my top matches would be Cena/Taker,Rock/Lesnar,Punk/Triple H and Show/Ryback.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPresley21 View Post
    Get out of hear with that.Now if you said something like Ryback/Cena(which could be a huge match,be saved for WM XXX when Ryback is really established),Ryback/Lesnar,Ryback/Show or even Ryback/Sheamus.But another Ryback/Punk match up does nothing for me.

Again if I was booking WM this coming up year my top matches would be Cena/Taker,Rock/Lesnar,Punk/Triple H and Show/Ryback.
    It would do something for the fans who want to see Ryback finally get over on Punk. Storytelling-wise it makes sense.

It's Clobberin' Time Summer of Punk's Avatar

This would be horrible for many reasons.

By then, it would be at least the 3rd singles match they've had.

Punk has looked weak against Ryback. Ryback beating Punk with no title does not put him over huge.

Throwing away a potential great Punk match would be terrible.

Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Summer of Punk View Post
    This would be horrible for many reasons.

By then, it would be at least the 3rd singles match they've had.

Punk has looked weak against Ryback. Ryback beating Punk with no title does not put him over huge.

This thinking that a title is necessary to put someone "over huge" is incorrect.

If the biggest heel in the WWE can get a great match out of Ryback on the biggest stage of them all than that is putting him over huge.

Ryback is likely not getting a title shot at Mania and neither is Punk, so why not have them go against each other to put an end to their feud, get Ryback over as a main eventer, and set him on the path toward the WWE Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    This thinking that a title is necessary to put someone "over huge" is incorrect.

If the biggest heel in the WWE can get a great match out of Ryback on the biggest stage of them all than that is putting him over huge.

Ryback is likely not getting a title shot at Mania and neither is Punk, so why not have them go against each other to put an end to their feud, get Ryback over as a main eventer, and set him on the path toward the WWE Championship.
    I'm not saying a title is necessary to put someone over huge. It's necessary with Punk vs. Ryback because Punk has already looked so weak against him. Everyone, casuals and smarks, would go into the match thinking Ryback is going to kill him. When he wins, it wouldn't be like "wow." It would be like "what a surprise."

I don't think Ryback is capable of a great match because of his character. He's not going to have a back and forth classic. You don't take someone that is capable of having the best match on the card and put him in a match that doesn't allow him to do anything he's great at.

I'm not saying a title is necessary to put someone over huge. It's necessary with Punk vs. Ryback because Punk has already looked so weak against him. Everyone, casuals and smarks, would go into the match thinking Ryback is going to kill him. When he wins, it wouldn't be like "wow." It would be like "what a surprise."

I don't think Ryback is capable of a great match because of his character. He's not going to have a back and forth classic. You don't take someone that is capable of having the best match on the card and put him in a match that doesn't allow him to do anything he's great at.
    I question the validity of the point you strike. Ryback isn't limited to insolvent matches because of a character or persona. He's limited by his own ability and the wrestlers who he works with. Ryback's character will (hopefully) evolve into a more Lesnar-like wrestler, instead of Goldberg, where Ryback isn't impervious to every wrestler's strikes. He won't always get back on his feet unscathed and twice as intimidating. As Ryback's in ring ability evolves, we'll see entertaining main events, where, like all great main events, contain back-and-forth reversals, constant pin attempts, trading signature and finishing moves.

People paint Ryback as a shadow of Goldberg, and small wonder why, but scarcely do they look passed to see what Ryback can and will be in the distant future.
    You can say that you specialize but Eris will optimize.

Banned

If Goldberg can have a great match with Diamond Dallas Page, Ryback can certainly have one with CM Punk.

World's Largest Member Lionhart's Avatar

They just had a Hell in a Cell match. And are about to have a TLC match. I can't see a third matchup being anything but underwhelming.

Spoiler

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhart View Post
    They just had a Hell in a Cell match. And are about to have a TLC match. I can't see a third matchup being anything but underwhelming.
    Both matches were snozzes or whatever the term is for a disrupted match or a match that didn't end legitimately. Neither match was allowed to meet its full potential.

Have Ryback pivot from Punk to Shield now and by the time Mania rolls around, the Punk/Ryback feud can be reignited and ultimately have closure.

Banned

The only way I could see them fighting at Wrestlemania is if the WWE Title IS on the line (Rock and Cena can have a non-title rematch, I don't think Rock is winning at the Rumble anyway.) But now that they've been booked for TLC, and this is their second one-on-one match and is a hardcore (ladder) match, I can't them having a third match, just a plain old non-stipulation match after having a HIAC and Ladder match. Before the TLC match was booked, I would have thought it possible that Ryback would win the Rumble and finally get his one-on-one rematch with Punk at WM, where he would finally win the belt. But now, he'll probably face Big Show for the WHC (would love to see him take on Brock Lesnar.)

I don't think anyone would care about it to be honest. It would tie a story up nicely but there still has to be legitimate interest in this for it to work. Punk needs to do something different somehow, get away from this endless whining on Raw, he was unbearable this past Monday. The Rock can't come back quickly enough, I never thought I'd say that.

Also, Goldberg is a much, much better worker than Ryback. Ryback is AWFUL.

So the argument here is that Punk vs. Ryback in a straight singles match or some sort of gimmick match would draw a bunch of money? Yes?

I don't see how you can really draw more money than streak vs. title inside arguably the most hyped gimmick match in history.

Spoiler

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I don't think anyone would care about it to be honest. It would tie a story up nicely but there still has to be legitimate interest in this for it to work.
    That's what people don't understand. A lot of smarks are all about long-term build, and playing things out for ages. But that doesn't guarantee interest and to glibly dismiss "booking on the fly" in favour of the alternative is extremely narrow-minded.

Anyhow, this idea doesn't do much for me. After Raw last night, I'm twisting myself into knots to think of a scenario where we get Rock vs Ryback.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I don't think anyone would care about it to be honest. It would tie a story up nicely but there still has to be legitimate interest in this for it to work. Punk needs to do something different somehow, get away from this endless whining on Raw, he was unbearable this past Monday. The Rock can't come back quickly enough, I never thought I'd say that.

Also, Goldberg is a much, much better worker than Ryback. Ryback is AWFUL.
    This should not be overlooked.

Banned

I agree that Goldberg is better than Ryback, but I still think Punk could get a fantastic match out of him, and I think that if booked right it will be a match fans will want to see.

Banned

Punk has looked weak against Ryback.

Ryback beating Punk with no title does not put him over huge.

Ryback has looked great in failure. But success is a great way to finish a face's story most of the time.

Anyhow, Punk's job is to tell a story. Being inferior to Ryback but finding a way out until he can't any more is a story. Having "great matches" just because he can is self-indulgent. Punk should do his job.

Wrestling is about money, not back and forth matches. A match doesn't have to be back and forth to be good.

This should not be overlooked.
    Goldberg being a better worker doesn't mean Ryback has no redeeming qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Ryback has looked great in failure. But success is a great way to finish a face's story most of the time.

Anyhow, Punk's job is to tell a story. Being inferior to Ryback but finding a way out until he can't any more is a story. Having "great matches" just because he can is self-indulgent. Punk should do his job.

Wrestling is about money, not back and forth matches. A match doesn't have to be back and forth to be good.

Goldberg being a better worker doesn't mean Ryback has no redeeming qualities.
    Punk as champion is more of a draw than Ryback would be. People either want to see him lose, or retain. Nobody's gonna pay money to watch Ryback defend the title. And to imply that great wrestling matches lack a storyline is ridiculous. I'd rather have both, which is possible, along with some intrigue to it. If Ryback was going to end Punk's reign, he would have done it while he was still undefeated.

I can't even believe that this is a discussion topic.

Spoiler

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhart View Post
    Punk as champion is more of a draw than Ryback would be.
    Don't speak with such certainty.

People either want to see him lose, or retain. Nobody's gonna pay money to watch Ryback defend the title.
    They will if you present a story and a threat worth of Ryback. Ryback vs Cena. Ryback vs Rock. Ryback vs Sheamus. Ryback vs Show. Ryback vs Taker. Ryback vs Triple H. Ryback vs Bork. There are plenty of money matches Ryback can have with the belt. If they build these things well, the people will come.

And to imply that great wrestling matches lack a storyline is ridiculous. I'd rather have both, which is possible, along with some intrigue to it.
    "Great matches" by the IWC's standard definition don't need a storyline. Some people will take Punk vs Bryan at OTL over anything this year. And yet Punk vs Bryan at MITB and Punk vs Bryan vs Kane were both infinitely better in my book as there was a level of real story and intrigue to go along with tip-top action between guys I love. That's a great match.

Also, notice the quotation marks I used in the post you quoted when talking about "great matches." I know that they involve a story. But a lot of people on here don't.

If Ryback was going to end Punk's reign, he would have done it while he was still undefeated.
    I have yet to see a reason why. Ryback's reaction last night shows there's still interest there if he's handled right.

I can't even believe that this is a discussion topic.
    Your disbelief doesn't surprise me.

With Taker, Cena, Rock, and Brock around thats not even a legit main event match.

Banner Credit: Spike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    With Taker, Cena, Rock, and Brock around thats not even a legit main event match.
    It might not seem it, but do not be surprised to see the WWE push Ryback's Mania match as main event level. No doubt they will want 'Back to stand shoulder to shoulder with the big boys. Perception is everything.

Knows he isn't welcome

Im not interested in the idea at all, and even if Ryback and Punk were Ultimate Draws or whatever, Wrestlemania has clearly become Night of Past Stars already, so it's even more impossible.
    That's all, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Im not interested in the idea at all, and even if Ryback and Punk were Ultimate Draws or whatever, Wrestlemania has clearly become Night of Past Stars already, so it's even more impossible.
    I really liked what you said because its damn true. It looks like the WWE has no high hopes on there current, new or future talents for Wrestlemania. IMO come after Wrestlemania 30 & by that time Taker, HHH are retired WWE & Wrestlemania are so done

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post

I have yet to see a reason why. Ryback's reaction last night shows there's still interest there if he's handled right.

Your disbelief doesn't surprise me.
    The key word is "still" interest. If WWE was going to put the title on them, the smartest thing, business-wise, is to do it at the peak of everyone's interest. That is the best time. It's very fundamental. Batista, Cena, and Hardy come to mind. If he didn't win the title in the cell, especially while he was undefeated, why should people believe he's actually going to win, now?

And I am in disbelief. Not without good reason. 1) Putting this match at Wrestlemania all but gives away the result. If WWE was going to have Punk beat Ryback AGAIN, they would put it on a normal PPV, not the biggest show of the year. The only good reason there would be to put this at WM would be that Ryback would win the title.

2) Feuds normally don't carry over into WM. What this means is, Wrestlemania tends to avoid giving us matches we've literally just seen. And it this rate, it would be Punk vs. Ryback for like the 5th. Ryback vs. Punk at WM would be a terrible idea. WWE makes more money when they give us something new right before WM, not the same stuff they've been doing for months.

Spoiler

Thread Information