Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

  1. #1
    Banned y2jman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    tennesse
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,376

    Question jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    according to wrestlinginc.com


    WWE creative head Michael Hayes came up with the idea for exploiting Jerry Lawler's heart attack on RAW a couple of weeks ago. Hayes felt that the angle would get Punk super heat, and it'd carry over with non-Lawler affiliated story lines.
    According to a source, Paul Heyman lobbied to have the angle changed to a slightly more tasteful version that would be more true to the Punk character. However, Hayes was said to be unrelenting in pushing his idea.

  2. #2
    #Heel Zeki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    20
    Posts
    3,170

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Punk/Heyman and Lawler must not have been too bothered by it though. I'd assume that if Punk put his foot down, and he seems like the kind of guy that would do that, then it would've been done differently. Similar case for Lawler i would think

  3. #3
    A Casual Observer Weezl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,351

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Have The Freebirds been inducted in the HOF, yet? I know that's irrelevant from this, just curious.

  4. #4
    Senior Member wtfisthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    424

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    People need to give this thing a rest already.

  5. #5
    < You Djm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Singularity, by way of Detroit
    Posts
    10,964

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Hmm.

    The guy that comes off as wrong, stuck in the past, and ass backwards on everything. Go figure.
    The IWC will never be happy unless Daniel Bryan wins both world titles, makes Batista tap out and makes HHH look like a total bitch in the process.
    Consider me a satisfied customer.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jack Nichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,862

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Where's all the people that said they would be terribly offended if they did the Jerry Lawler/Heart Attack angle?

    Banner Credit: Spike

  7. #7
    Banned The Industry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    17,945

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Yewah, HEYMAN weas the voice of reason in this situation...He probably leaked this story

  8. #8
    BO-liever The Champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,992

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nichols View Post
    Where's all the people that said they would be terribly offended if they did the Jerry Lawler/Heart Attack angle?
    They were only going to be offended if it was someone other than CM Punk doing it.

  9. #9
    Fighter of the Nightman The Dayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Hmm.

    The guy that comes off as wrong, stuck in the past, and ass backwards on everything. Go figure.
    Hayes has long been rumoured to be a serious racist. Apparently telling Mark Henry once that he was "more of a ni**er" than Henry. That's definitely a mark of being stuck in the past.

    As to this though, as distasteful as some may have thought it was, if Lawler had a problem with it there is no way the angle goes down.

    My biggest problem with the whole thing was them filming the real life ish that went down when he had the heart attack. I can picture Vince McMahon yelling at the crew to GET THE GODDAMN THING ON FILM! FUCKING DO IT!

    That seemed like a pretty shitty thing to me.
    "I disgust myself but I am not unhappy about that."


  10. #10
    Banned The Industry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    17,945

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dayman View Post
    Hayes has long been rumoured to be a serious racist. Apparently telling Mark Henry once that he was "more of a ni**er" than Henry. That's definitely a mark of being stuck in the past.

    As to this though, as distasteful as some may have thought it was, if Lawler had a problem with it there is no way the angle goes down.

    My biggest problem with the whole thing was them filming the real life ish that went down when he had the heart attack. I can picture Vince McMahon yelling at the crew to GET THE GODDAMN THING ON FILM! FUCKING DO IT!

    That seemed like a pretty shitty thing to me.

    Hayes also had a way bigger hand in making Punk then Heyman. Also, NOBODY writes Punk'e material...He said it himself and there was nothing wrong with the angle, but it is cool to blast Hayes and keep these stupid fantasies that Heyman/Punk is some kind of SUPER SMARK DREAM TEAM OF BOOKERS and are getting held back.

    Punk lost 800 thousand trying to be "cutting edge", plain and simple

  11. #11
    Fighter of the Nightman The Dayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by The Industry View Post
    Hayes also had a way bigger hand in making Punk then Heyman. Also, NOBODY writes Punk'e material...He said it himself and there was nothing wrong with the angle, but it is cool to blast Hayes and keep these stupid fantasies that Heyman/Punk is some kind of SUPER SMARK DREAM TEAM OF BOOKERS and are getting held back.

    Punk lost 800 thousand trying to be "cutting edge", plain and simple
    I'm not certain what that has to do with what I said. I only elaborated on a comment made by DJM.
    "I disgust myself but I am not unhappy about that."


  12. #12
    Banned The Industry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    17,945

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dayman View Post
    I'm not certain what that has to do with what I said. I only elaborated on a comment made by DJM.
    Wasn't directed towards you.

    Edit: Didn't mean to quote you

  13. #13
    Senior Member bayke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    875

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dayman View Post
    Hayes has long been rumoured to be a serious racist. Apparently telling Mark Henry once that he was "more of a ni**er" than Henry. That's definitely a mark of being stuck in the past.
    That's not racism, that's being politically incorrect. Hayes was drunk and, when Henry pulled the "You don't get it because you're not black," card, he (Hayes) inappropriately referenced the fact that Hayes grew up poor within a Southern black community with black friends during desegregation while Henry grew up wealthy in comparison and in the North after desegregation. Booker T thought it was funny and didn't take offense, why should I be offended?

  14. #14
    Fighter of the Nightman The Dayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Age
    31
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    Quote Originally Posted by bayke View Post
    That's not racism, that's being politically incorrect. Hayes was drunk and, when Henry pulled the "You don't get it because you're not black," card, he (Hayes) inappropriately referenced the fact that Hayes grew up poor within a Southern black community with black friends during desegregation while Henry grew up wealthy in comparison and in the North after desegregation. Booker T thought it was funny and didn't take offense, why should I be offended?

    A lot of this has to do with perspective. There are a lot of people who will say that any use of that word what so ever is indicative of a racist point of view.

    Objectively, should you be offended? That's a pretty tough call to make. On the one hand you say that Booker T thought it was funny, but at the same time from what I read both Henry and Bobby Lashley had serious issues with the comment.

    Also, given some of the other things said that have been attributed to Hayes, I'm more willing to come down on the side of unintentionally racist. Even though he may feel that there is no malice behind his comments, they still belie a certain underlying prejudice and ignorance.
    "I disgust myself but I am not unhappy about that."


  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    500

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    I remember when the issue went down with Henry and Hayes. Henry and lashley both called Hayes out then Hayes stood up saying yea I said it what are you guys gonna do about it? According to Hayes both backed down

  16. #16
    Senior Member bayke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    875

    Default Re: jerry lawler heart attack angle thanks to michael hayes

    From the reports I read, Henry was playing the race card and Hayes called him on it. I can understand where Hayes was coming from. I grew up in a predominantly black area in southeast Missouri during the 70s. All of my friends were black. The used the n-word amongst themselves and made it clear that I was allowed to use it because I was one of them. Woe unto any other white kid who used it though. I didn't use it often, most of the time only to quote verbatum something that one of my friends said. When I moved, I dealt with a lot of black kids of a higher social class than myself who would claim prejudice every time something didn't go their way. They would claim that they only got in trouble because they were black when actually it was because they were fighting or disrupting class. They would say they got a bad grade because they were black even though they never handed in homework. I felt a lot like Hayes seems to have felt. Like "Oh you're black? I'm the one who stood beside hardworking black people who didn't want anything because of their color, only the opportunity to succeed. The ones who didn't use their race as an excuse. I'm the one who worked beside them in the fields when it was over 100 degrees. I'm more black than you." Maybe I was wrong to feel this way, but I watched the struggles of black people I considered closer to me than my own family and I was not going to have that denigrated by a bunch who used their color as an excuse to fail.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •