Just about everyone would agree that the Miz has been a breath of fresh air since his face turn. He seems to understand the mechanics of it very well which is invaluable. Playing a good face, particularly in WWE with such large crowds, is an exceptionally difficult thing to do. Few do it well, yet Miz seems to be doing it well already. I'm an outspoken critic of his in-ring abilities, but an admirer of many things about him including his infectious charisma and commitment. But thinking about Miz's new lease of life got me making comparisons with a certain WWE legend. Now I am not one for 'wrestler A is the new Austin' or 'wrestler B is the new Rock', simply because direct comparisons never seem to get anybody anywhere. Punk made it by being the first Punk and Cena made it by being the first Cena. But there are a few similarities between Miz and Rock. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have noticed the trends:
- Both were very good high school athletes
- Both were very young and inexperienced entering the wrestling business
- Both struggled to be accepted at first, with failed babyface runs, and had to be turned heel
- Both shortened their wrestling names to a single syllable definite article
- As a heel, Rock developed 'annoying' catchphrases that would later serve to define his legacy, can the same happen for the Miz?
- Promo styles are almost identical. I've always called Miz a brilliant mic worker, and people would call him one-dimensional. I wonder if that ever happens, when that one dimension is as brilliant as it is with Miz or Rock.
- The Rock is a clean cut poster boy dripping with charisma, and he got over in the mainstream. The Miz has the same attributes - can he do the same?
The only thing here is Miz is 32 years old, which suggests it may be too late for him to take over from Cena.
Does anyone else see a lot of similarites between Miz and Rock? And not just circumstancial similarities as I've noted above, but they just do everything very similarly IMO, wrestling style included.