Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WreslteMania XXIX: The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship.

Default WreslteMania XXIX: The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship.

I've given this a lot of thought lately, and I honestly feel that this as the main event of WrestleMania 29 is probably the best way to go. Both for the company, and for the fans. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that it's almost the most obvious choice everyone involved can make.

Let me explain: having a Hollywood movie star defend the main title of a company he is an absolute icon in against a legitimate fighter, who established himself both before and after his tenure in the WWE as a world champion, is a situation that draws both internally among the WWE Universe and externally among the casual fans that only watch during 'Mania season anyway, and among the fans that might've turned away from the product following the original departures of guys like The Rock and Brock Lesnar. So, in terms of pure profit, this would be the biggest possible match the company could put together to headline their biggest event of the year. It draws from absolutely every angle and type of fan the WWE has, or has had.

More to the point, the set up to the match writes itself. It's been ten years since Lesnar usurped The Rock as the Undisputed Champion at 2002's SummerSlam, and, given the WWE's recent proclivity toward rehashing events ten years after their inception in varying forms: (i.e. The Rock vs. John Cena in a dream match at WrestleMania 28 ten years after The Rock and Hogan had theirs at WrestleMania X-8), it makes sense to go this route; to build up and off of the fact that these are two of the biggest names in sports AND entertainment, not just in the WWE, and that they are colliding a full decade after they went head to head for the title, long before The Rock was starring in big-time films, and long before Lesnar earned his keep in the UFC.

As I said, the match draws from every single angle, but most importantly, it draws on the sheer uncertainty of what the fuck would happen in that ring, and what the outcome would ultimately be. It's completely unpredictable. And, it raises a myriad of questions: who goes over? The Rock or Lesnar? What happens the title when it's held by guys that aren't full-time? Who would win? How would they win? Etc. It would drive both the smarks and the marks completely nuts and would, I guarantee you, be worthy of the final spot on the card. Plus, it does what WrestleMania has failed to do as of late: puts the WWE Championship in the spotlight. And to be honest, I don't see how you could shine any bigger of a light on the title than to have The Rock defend it against Lesnar at WrestleMania.

As for how to get there, it's fairly easy. Triple H gets his return match against Brock Lesnar at the Royal Rumble, defeating Lesnar, who, completely pissed off at his loss to the Game, enters the Rumble match as a surprise entrant, and wins, much to the shock of the WWE Universe. Later that night, The Rock defeats C.M. Punk for the WWE Championship, an event that is followed by an attack and an F5 from Lesnar, leaving the Rock, who has just won the title, prone in the middle of the ring, the WrestleMania XXIX logo looming in the background. From there, the rest of WrestleMania's card kind of writes itself. You can have Punk go off the deep end for losing to the Rock at the Royal Rumble, and challenge the Undertaker to a match at WrestleMania to finally earn everyone's respect. You can have Cena and Ryback go at it for whatever reason, whatever you wanna do. The point is it frees up the rest of the roster to do what needs to be done, and unblocks a lot of booking issues we've been having recently.

Either way, you book it as above, have the match at 'Mania, please the fans, smark and mark alike, make a killer buy-rate, and finally, the best part: no matter who wins the match, it allows for a title unification scenario to occur. The title could either be vacated by the victor, or unified with whoever's the World Heavyweight Champion. You could have a YEAR-LONG TOURNAMENT to determine the new WWE Champion; fuck, you could even have Ziggler cash in then, saying he's the new WWE Champion, and work an angle off of that. Or, at the very least, it would get us a new championship belt.

But I digress. Feel free to discuss this scenario to your heart's content. I'm open to opinions, right or wrong.

Default Re: WreslteMania XXIX: The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship.

I believe that The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker vs. John Cena should be the two main events of WrestleMania 29. It's debatable as to which one goes last (although I think it should be Taker vs. Cena), but those are the two matches that should happen, along with probably CM Punk vs. Triple H in the latter's return match.

I think the question here is, does WWE want to take the easy way out and go with the three incredibly predictable main events of Rock vs. Cena II, Undertaker vs. Punk, and Triple H vs. Lesnar? Or do they want to do what I just said and leave the fans completely mind boggled as to who the big winners are going to be?

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Knows he isn't welcome

Default Re: WreslteMania XXIX: The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship.

Honestly, I do think this is a good idea, but DON'T make it the main event above everything else, just have it be the second-to-last match to please all of the smarks and then move onto business with Taker vs Cena.

I'd rather not have the title in there, nor the match at all, but I understand it's going to make money, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin View Post
    I'm open to opinions, right or wrong.
    Who gets to decide which opinions are right and which ones are wrong?
    That's all, folks.

I think Undertaker vs. Cena needs to be last because it has more long term significance than Rock vs. Lesnar.

Rock and Lesnar are bigger stars, and it would presumably have the WWE Championship, so I can see why people would think it would be a main event caliber match.

However, Taker vs. Cena to me is basically "This is it. Either Undertaker retires with the streak or Cena breaks it, if it's not getting broken tonight, it never will be."

And to me, that's a bigger deal than a WWE Championship match in which whoever wins isn't even going to hold it for long.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

As much as I love the ideas in this thread, I'm going to laugh when we get Cena/Rock II, Triple H/Lesnar II, and Punk/Ryback II.

Then I'm going to cry.

The RTruth
    RT wants you to check out The Ultimate Fic'er, happening now in Fan Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    As much as I love the ideas in this thread, I'm going to laugh when we get Cena/Rock II, Triple H/Lesnar II, and Punk/Ryback II.

Then I'm going to cry.
    And the Undertaker does what?

Bender

They should #RawActive the matches to allow the #WWE #Universe decided what matches the wwe the fans want.
    - Credit: Bender -

The issue with it is wat happens to the title afterwards Why give it to somoene who will not be properly defending it. Having to people come in one get the title to me weakens the wrestlers on your roster
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzmSQ49oWk
    The Master Builder - Jakob22, Presents - My Sins -

Quote Originally Posted by InsomniaMusic View Post
    The issue with it is wat happens to the title afterwards Why give it to somoene who will not be properly defending it. Having to people come in one get the title to me weakens the wrestlers on your roster
    If Brock were to win, it's possible he could stick around another month or two to defend it.

Rock probably couldn't, which is why he needs to lose it at Mania no matter what.

Bender

Rock/Brock shouldn't go last...two guys who hardly work in the company should not main event the biggest PPV of they year.

Rock/Cena 2
    Brock/Taker
    Punk vs. either Bryan or HHH

There is your top tier for WM 29

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Best In The World BaraaKhalaf92's Avatar

Undertaker Vs Cena needs to happen, with either Taker winning or Cena winning and breaking the streak after a very awaited Heel turn...
    Taker can also have a match with Sting as also reports are suggesting that HHH is trying to get him...

Ryback Vs Heel WH champion Randy Orton will also be a very interesting imatch to see at WM29...

Brock Vs Rock is a great dream match for all of us, but the thing with this match is that the company won't benefit from it in the long run...
    They may earn some big money there, but we all know that both of them is gonna leave again...

HBK VS HHH can also feud and have a match about who is better...

And finally the match that many of us are anticipating, Austen VS Punk....
    Fave 6:

1 & 2- CM Punk & Dean Ambrose (Don't Know who I like more LOL)

3- The Miz
    4- Damien Sandow
    5- Daniel Bryan
    6- Antonio Cesaro

The Rock vs Cena, WWE championship
    CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar
    The Undertaker vs ???

There is your card ladies.
    WWE since 2009 No Mercy, still going on!

Quote Originally Posted by BustUout View Post
    The Rock vs Cena, WWE championship
    CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar
    The Undertaker vs ???

There is your card ladies.
    Your dream card ?
    Or the card you think is actually going to be booked?
    Fave 6:

3- The Miz
    4- Damien Sandow
    5- Daniel Bryan
    6- Antonio Cesaro

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    And the Undertaker does what?
    Wasn't there talk a coupl months back about Taker being banged up? I read reports that he may only do the Rumble as a suprise entrant. I could be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by BaraaKhalaf92 View Post
    Your dream card ?
    Or the card you think is actually going to be booked?
    It's not my dream card, but I would still love it. I think the card will happen. Taker wouldn't need to wrestle with this card.
    WWE since 2009 No Mercy, still going on!

I think we've had this conversation before, but who would be face? The least likeable wrestler in the business or the guy who made fun of someone nearly dying?

Quote Originally Posted by BustUout View Post
    It's not my dream card, but I would still love it. I think the card will happen. Taker wouldn't need to wrestle with this card.
    Rock VS Cena is nothing special...
    They had their "Once in a lifetime" match this year and I don't even consider it on my top 3 matches of the year....

Brock VS Punk will be interesting, but it needs Heyman to stap one of them in the back and turn him face...
    It will be a lot more interesting than HHH\Brock TBH....

But I still think they can do a lot more better with the card than this.
    Fave 6:

3- The Miz
    4- Damien Sandow
    5- Daniel Bryan
    6- Antonio Cesaro

WWE Championship
    The Rock(Champ) Vs John Cena Vs CM Punk

Brock Lesnar Vs Taker or Brock Lesnar Vs HHH(Hell in a cell)

World Title
    Ryback(RRW) Vs Big Show(Champ)

Thanks To Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    WWE Championship
    The Rock(Champ) Vs John Cena Vs CM Punk

Brock Lesnar Vs Taker or Brock Lesnar Vs HHH(Hell in a cell)

World Title
    Ryback(RRW) Vs Big Show(Champ)
    This is the closest card to reality....
    Though I don't know what is going to happen with Dolph and his MITB briefcase!!
    Fave 6:

3- The Miz
    4- Damien Sandow
    5- Daniel Bryan
    6- Antonio Cesaro

He won't cash it in till after mania.

Thanks To Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    He won't cash it in till after mania.
    I don't think he cashing it on Ryback though..
    Fave 6:

3- The Miz
    4- Damien Sandow
    5- Daniel Bryan
    6- Antonio Cesaro

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I think we've had this conversation before, but who would be face? The least likeable wrestler in the business or the guy who made fun of someone nearly dying?
    Fair point, however whatever Vince decides to go with, he has positioned himself well. Any combination of Cena, Rock, Punk, Taker, HHH, and Brock has win win all over it. Even if the undercard completely sucks (which it shouldn't with guys like Bryan, Mysterio, Kane, Sheamus, Big Show, and Orton still around), WM 29 is still likely to be pretty awesome.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

You see, for me the big appeal of these "special attractions" is watching them face the top guys on the active roster and, win or lose, giving them a rub. I have no reason to care for a match if I know that, after Wrestlemania, we probably won't see either of them for a good 9-10 months.

I understand why Vince would want it, and I can understand why a lot of fans would. Unless Brock or Rock stick around as the WWE Champion after (and by that, I mean at least until Summerslam/NOC, and as an active roster member), I'd rather they take an entirely different direction.

Even if that means Rock/Cena part II.

Quote Originally Posted by DementeD View Post
    Wasn't there talk a coupl months back about Taker being banged up? I read reports that he may only do the Rumble as a suprise entrant. I could be mistaken.
    And the number of seconds I believed that report was the same number of matches Undertaker has lost at WrestleMania.

Bender

In response to the idea of wanting the winner, and thus the WWE Champion, of this match to stick around, and the notion that a match like this is really just a flash in the pan kind of thing, let me explain my reasoning for wanting this match to happen: as I stated, it has good applications, both long and short term. Short term, obviously, we get the pay off of Rock/Lesnar for the title, long term, it allows for the title to be vacated or at least have it's legitimate holder come into question, as neither Lesnar nor The Rock have the ability to stick around to defend. This is an awesome opportunity to unify the world championships in a manner that makes sense and creates interest. Imagine The Rock winning and going over Lesnar, further cementing his claim as the greatest superstar of all time. The next night on RAW, his customary post-Mania promo is interrupted by Punk, who, in my head, goes over Triple H at 'Mania. He questions what happens now with The Rock's status, and calls him out on how he's supposed to defend the championship if he's off making movies and parading around Hollywood. The Rock, being the prideful man that he is, would state that he'll defend the title against anyone, anytime, anywhere. This scenario leads to a number of different options, one being the establishment of an Interim WWE Champion in the Rock's absence, an idea that I like and hate simultaneously. Another is Punk challenging him that night, the match ending with a run-in from Lesnar, who decimates The Rock in response to his loss from the night prior, allowing Punk to win the title. Or, and this is my favorite, a massive and completely shocking heel turn on The Rock's part, in which he shows up on RAW, abandons us, and vacates the title, saying he's above the WWE, and that, since there is no one on the roster, past, present, or future that can beat him, he's got nothing left to prove, and doesn't need the belt or the people to be the greatest of all time. With the title vacated, either a tournament can happen, or the World Heavyweight Champion can claim to be the true WWE Champion, and thus the guy at the top of the food chain, which would spur objection from other top superstars, like Punk, Cena, etc., ultimately leading to the unification of both titles and a new WWE World Heavyweight Championship belt.

Let me be clear: unification of the titles is an obsession of mine. It makes no sense to me to have two, "top titles," both, like it or not, equally recognized as world championships, in the same company. Any excuse I can find to unify them I will take. And, in all honesty, I would have Punk be the one to unify them.

But, as we all know, logic doesn't exactly exist in the WWE realm. So, even though some of this makes perfect sense, both from a creative and financial standpoint, we still won't see it happen.

Oh, and as for how to keep the title on Punk until The Royal Rumble without fucking up Ryback's push: I'd have Show, now an agent of Heyman, take out Ryback during the match, keeping the title on Punk - an idea that was posited for the finish at Hell in a Cell. However, I would have Heyman do this without Punk's knowledge, driving a rift between the two, leading to Punk's split with Heyman, and a face turn going into the Rumble against The Rock, a dynamic I am highly interested in.

Thread Information