Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fandango Thread

Cool Fandango Thread

Is this the WWE's version of Disco Inferno???

Who is this?

Default Re: Fandango Thread

Brodus Clay's future tag team partner
    WWE: IT'S NOT A FANDOM, IT'S A FAMILY
    The Shield on Crack 3 (The End)
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Slimmed down Brodus Clay?
    - Credit: Bender -

I give it a month before he's a regular Superstars performer and we hardly ever see him again.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

How does WWE make a superstar out of a movie tickets website?

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    How does WWE make a superstar out of a movie tickets website?
    Maybe he can form a heel team with the Rotten Tomato.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Its Johnny Curtis and while I think its a silly gimmick, at least it'll have more legs than Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins doing Magic Mike At least it gets "Fandango" on TV more(Every time I hear the name, I think of movie tickets)

- Justin Valuable

Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaLove View Post

Is this the WWE's version of Disco Inferno???

Who is this?
    Johnny Curtis has been doing the ballroom dancer gimmick on house shows for a month so it's likely him. This is good news though because Curtis can wrestle. I'd love to see them give him a good decent length match on Raw with Kidd or Gabriel.

Why is WWE doing this? With the story of a top WWE superstar (? John Cena) having a verbal sparring match with Vince coming to light about the direction of the company, why does Vince (or creative conrol) think this is a good idea? It's obvious that the talent is frustrated and ratings are down so someone thnks a character named Fandango would be just the thing to make things better.

I have been a fan for 20 years. I have stuck with WWE/F through thick and thin: when the "New Generation" (with a smling Diesel at the helm) failed in comparison to the previous era, when their wrestlers were leaving for WCW, when WCW creamed them in the ratings for 80 some odd weeks, when the attitude era came to an end, when Triple H dominated everyone, when Scott Steiner and Goldberg's runs were fumbled (admittedly, part of the Triple H domination), and with John Cena's rise to untouchable number one. But even my loyalty is beginning to crumble as I can't even watch an entire episode of Raw all the way through. The WWE's repeatedly botched angles, boring storylines, and the shoving of superstars that few care about down fan's throats is a symptom of a disease that's slowly killing off the fan base. Fandango is just another symptom of that disease.

Sorry about the rant, just had to get it off my chest so my wife doesn't have to hear it again.

Knows he isn't welcome

I have seen some of Curtis' matches, he is indeed good, and he does have a knack for funny gimmicks, so let's see if this does well.

And the reactions so far are.......the usual, what a fucking sad place this forum is.
    That's all, folks.

By the way, I don't know who Johnny Curtis is, as I stopped keeping up with the indies several years ago, but him being a guy that can actually wrestle is all the more reason that him being a ballroom dancing character named Fandango is a travesty. A guy who could potentially make a serious contribution to the future of the company gets saddled with a joke gimmick that will most likely bury him in the minds of the majority of fans before he even makes his first TV appearance.

Knows he isn't welcome

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsjason24 View Post
    By the way, I don't know who Johnny Curtis is, as I stopped keeping up with the indies several years ago, but him being a guy that can actually wrestle is all the more reason that him being a ballroom dancing character named Fandango is a travesty. A guy who could potentially make a serious contribution to the future of the company gets saddled with a joke gimmick that will most likely bury him in the minds of the majority of fans before he even makes his first TV appearance.
    Or maybe he will turn out to get very over with the fans like a certain Italian Goofball is and thus be succesful, which is probably a lot more than what he could achieve if you give him plain, black trunks and an "aggresive" attitude.
    That's all, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    Or maybe he will turn out to get very over with the fans like a certain Italian Goofball is and thus be succesful, which is probably a lot more than what he could achieve if you give him plain, black trunks and an "aggresive" attitude.
    It could be this similar Italian Goofball though:

I could not look at Vito the same way after this. Every time I think of the wrestler, I just laugh at him because of this

I am all for Curtis to be on TV some more though and he may need some kind of gimmick to stand out from being a generic face or heel.
    Last edited by Blindy; 11-13-2012 at 01:16 AM.

- Justin Valuable

Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

I have seen some of Curtis' matches, he is indeed good, and he does have a knack for funny gimmicks, so let's see if this does well.

And the reactions so far are.......the usual, what a fucking sad place this forum is.
    NO GIMMICKS. GIMMICKS ARE BAD. GIMMICKS MEANS WRESTLING IS NOT SRS. WRESTLING MUST BE SRS SO I CAN BE COOL!

I don't think it's so much that gimmicks are bad, but just that this pretty obviously has no legs. Sure it will be funny at first, but it's very similar to Brodus. Everyone went head over heels for the Funkasaurus at first but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. Johnny's such a talented guy, he's absolutely hilarious and one of my favourites so he'll make it work as well as anyone, but he just doesn't need this. His creeper character was perfect as it was.

From what I've heard, he's playing it more as creepy weirdo like Goldust than for laughs like Brodus.

Just imagine it, AJ & Cena about to hug, when Fandango walks in, steps between them. "May I cut in?" Then tries to stick his tongue down AJ's throat before Cena pulls him off and starts kicking the shit out of him.

Goldust was a far worse gimmick from a fan standpoint, and look how well that oddball turned out, even before he was played for laughs in the 2000's.
    baboosh

Banned

Brodus Clay is a different story though. He's not been producing in the ring, and he ya know, can't really dance. The Funkasaurus gimmick was VERY over, but once they ran through the squash matches they had nothing else because Brodus can't do long matches.

As long as it gets Johnny Curtis on Raw or Smackdown, then I'm down for it. Curtis was one of my favorites on NXT, and he played the creeper gimmick well and I could see this gimmick being something kind of similar to it.

Banner Credit: Bender

San Diego Chargers
    5-2

Isn't Broadus still over Like Santino Broadus has the kids in the palm of his hands. He does need to up his in ring and he will be fine. If they play it creepy like the Goldust started then it could work. If they comedy him I don't see it doing as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzmSQ49oWk
    The Master Builder - Jakob22, Presents - My Sins -

Why is WWE doing this? With the story of a top WWE superstar (? John Cena) having a verbal sparring match with Vince coming to light about the direction of the company, why does Vince (or creative conrol) think this is a good idea? It's obvious that the talent is frustrated and ratings are down so someone thnks a character named Fandango would be just the thing to make things better.

I have been a fan for 20 years. I have stuck with WWE/F through thick and thin: when the "New Generation" (with a smling Diesel at the helm) failed in comparison to the previous era, when their wrestlers were leaving for WCW, when WCW creamed them in the ratings for 80 some odd weeks, when the attitude era came to an end, when Triple H dominated everyone, when Scott Steiner and Goldberg's runs were fumbled (admittedly, part of the Triple H domination), and with John Cena's rise to untouchable number one. But even my loyalty is beginning to crumble as I can't even watch an entire episode of Raw all the way through. The WWE's repeatedly botched angles, boring storylines, and the shoving of superstars that few care about down fan's throats is a symptom of a disease that's slowly killing off the fan base. Fandango is just another symptom of that disease.

Sorry about the rant, just had to get it off my chest so my wife doesn't have to hear it again.
    I hear you. Two weeks ago on Monday night I didn't watch RAW because I simply forgot it was on. This is the first time that has ever happened on a Monday night and since I am temporarily without a DVR to auto-record, I missed it. When I had a DVR I would usually start watching Raw about 45 minutes after it started so I could forward through the gluttony of bad storyline rehashes, mid match commercials, poorly disguised social media promos and horribly predictable angles. Raw has become nearly impossible to sit through without benefit of a DVR. The high point of the show is the CM Punk segments, but now those are starting to bother me because of how is booked to look so weak and cowardly. I am a wrestling fan, not a wwe fan. This means that I will watch any wrestling and support the product when it comes to my area, but I wouldn't spend much to see this product. If Wrestlemania 30 is held in my town of New Orleans, I really hope the product has taken on a new direction because it would be a real shame I Don't take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity because the product sucks too much.

I hear you. Two weeks ago on Monday night I didn't watch RAW because I simply forgot it was on. This is the first time that has ever happened on a Monday night and since I am temporarily without a DVR to auto-record, I missed it. When I had a DVR I would usually start watching Raw about 45 minutes after it started so I could forward through the gluttony of bad storyline rehashes, mid match commercials, poorly disguised social media promos and horribly predictable angles. Raw has become nearly impossible to sit through without benefit of a DVR. The high point of the show is the CM Punk segments, but now those are starting to bother me because of how is booked to look so weak and cowardly. I am a wrestling fan, not a wwe fan. This means that I will watch any wrestling and support the product when it comes to my area, but I wouldn't spend much to see this product. If Wrestlemania 30 is held in my town of New Orleans, I really hope the product has taken on a new direction because it would be a real shame I Don't take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity because the product sucks too much.
    As far as this gimmick goes, it goes under the "why bother" category. A dancing wrestler isn't original and it's not going to work. I don't care if he does tap dancing, meringue, swing, or hip hop. If this is all the character has besides a bad accent, then it will get old quick like Brodus Clay. If creative wants a challenge, they should do a male ballet dancer gimmick. I think I'll start a thread on this before getting in too deep.

Default WWE should axe Fandango gimmick. Male ballet dancer is where it's at!

The Fandango character is a waste of time as essentially the character is going to be a snob which has been done to death(original HHH, Del Rio, Blue Blood W. Regal, Damien Sandow etc.) the only difference is that this snob will ballroom dance.
    If creative wants a challenge, they should do a heal male ballet dancing gimmick. Only instead of being snobby, the character should be extremely overprotective of his masculinity to the point of being a bit sociopathic about it. The goal of the character is too convince male wrestling fans that there is nothing wrong with being a ballet dancer. Each Monday, he demonstrates a benefit( fake groupies) to being a ballerina.I think it would be funny to see the commentators and other wrestlers take shots at the wrestler inquire having to remain pc. Sure, it would be a short term gimmick and it should be given to a guy who " has nothing to lose" so he may as well take a chance on something like this. The feminine gimmick worked for Goldust, but of course that was a different era.

Default Re: WWE should axe Fandango gimmick. Male ballet dancer is where it's at!

Kill the gimmick off before its even had a chance to air, nice logic.
    - Credit: Bender -

Default Re: WWE should axe Fandango gimmick. Male ballet dancer is where it's at!

Better yet, let's kill the character without any actual knowledge of what his personality is and assume he's a snob.

baboosh

Banned

Can you really blame people for being skeptical about the lifespan of this gimmick? Brodus Clay was white hot for a few weeks and quickly snuffed out. He is a typical jobber now. It's sad but true. What's really sad is how the WWE builds up talent then quickly throws them away. They have a long history of doing this, so it should not at all be surprising that fans are skeptical.

And while I think such gimmicks are fun, the WWE tends to treat them as disposable.
    Last edited by Mercury; 11-16-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Thread Information