Thread: WWE - It's time for a change

Post WWE - It's time for a change

I want to talk about a serious issue that I think we as wrestling fans all thought of. The lack of build-up for future main event talent. The issue is that, the current writers are pretty much stuck on the same ideas, and they seem to be unable to come up with new ones. They recycle Cena's happy-go-lucky main event matches.

They don't go anywhere with someone like Sheamus. Sheamus is just there, y'know. He just stands there as a World Heavyweight Champion, that's pretty much sums up his entire WWE run. He doesn't develop from holding the title. He doesn't become anything more than another stale persona.

Sheamus started at the WWE as a heel, which fits him PERFECTLY, but apparently the WWE decided that he is a good 'face' character. They don't do anything constructive with him. They don't develop his character... NOTHING. He just feuds with people for some stupid ideas. Like his recent feud with Alberto Del Rio, which was such a load of cr*p. Not only did this feud not get both of them anywhere, it actually pushed Del Rio 10 steps back.

I see a lot in the future of Alberto Del Rio, and his future supposed to be NOW. He is supposed to be the one holding the title, and not Sheamus. Alberto Del Rio is very talented and very giving character. And he has a good delivery on the mic, despite his common use of Spanish. He can really bring it to the crowd, and the crowd likes him for the reason he sells his villain character well. The reason why Sheamus is awful, is because he has no delivery as a face. He had a better delivery when he was a heel. As a face he just stands there and shouts: "I'ma destroy you, FELLA!" And that's pretty much it.

WWE writers are in lack of knowledge of what the professional wrestling used to be like. They seem to be recycling the same corny 'good guy vs bad guy' storylines over and over, untill we get sick of them. For once, I would like to see a 'heel vs heel' match. Let's say CM Punk vs The Miz. Now that's something I would pay money to see. But c'mon now, getting stuck with this 'good guy vs bad guy' thing is starting to get stale, and people are starting to get sick of them. Because most of the time it's the same happy-go-lucky ending for every feud.

Let's say this: Cena announces every 3-4 months that he is going fora long goodbye, but yet he comes back after that and wins the belt. That's what makes it all predictable. I know that his recent farewell is because of his injury, but give me a break, he will come back, and he will win. That's what happened with Barrett, that's what happened with The Miz.

The writers need fresh Ideas. They need to start using gimmicks, otherwise it's a waste of time. There aren't many gimmicks in the WWE anymore. For example what is CM Punk supposed to be? A 'Angry boy' character? What is The Miz supposed to be? "A arrogant angry boy"? I mean, you get my point right? There aren't really that much of gimmicks, like it was during the 90s and 80s. I miss those times when everyone was different. When you had place for all type of wrestlers: fat, skinny, average, black, white, chinese... whatever, you had place for all of them. Because back in the day they could build gimmicks around them, but now? No one really knows what is the gimmick of those people. You tell me? Now we have this type of matches: 'Angry Pretty Boy' and 'Angry Tattooed Boy' vs 'Superhero Boy' and 'A Bad Ass Pretty Boy'. You get my point? That's as stale as it can get. The only different wrestlers I've seen built are Ryback and Sandow. Sandow is a BRILLIANT character, because he created HIMSELF. Ryback is now being pushed as a future main eventer. I wonder what is in stored for this two.

Default Re: WWE - It's time for a change

First off, welcome to PW AnnaLove.

I agree alot with what you said but I don't think Sheamus is that stagnant. His development is slow but I think it's happening. I agree that ADR has gone several steps in the wrong direction and they need to get him back on track. Sandow is definitely a future star and with the push it seems Rybak is getting, he'll probably be there as well.

As for the gimmicks, I'm sure I fully understand what you mean. I got the impression you were alluding to every wrestler having a "character" like in the late eighties/early nineties when the E was filled with plumbers, mounties, repomen, prison guards etc. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you but if that is what you meant than I have to disagree. I hated that time in wrestling because it was too much like a live action cartoon in my opinion. I just thought it was too unrealistic. I get that wrestling in general is unrealistic but that time and those characters seemed too over the top. I'm fine with having a couple characters like that from time to time but only a few at a time.

Best In The World BaraaKhalaf92's Avatar

I totally agree with you Anna....
    And I just realized that you are new here , so Welcome to PW forums...
    Fave 6:

1 & 2- CM Punk & Dean Ambrose (Don't Know who I like more LOL)

3- The Miz
    4- Damien Sandow
    5- Daniel Bryan
    6- Antonio Cesaro

Yes, welcome Anna. Just like your post on Michael Cole I agree with everything you have said. The WWE has become stale and pretty predictable. They have had the chance to push younger talent to the stratosphere but have continued to pull them back down. Cody Rhodes was on pace to become a major player in the WHC picture and then they jobbed him to Big Show at Mania and his momentum was instantly killed. I hope this team with Sandow pushes them both high up the ladder. I have loved what Rhodes has done since he had "facial reconstruction surgery". I would love to see him and Ziggler feud for the WHC. Sheamus needs to go back to being a heel and they should push Bryan as the next big face of the company behind Cena. I fear for what the Wrestlemania card is going to look like this year, if they put the WWE title on the Rock for him to finally defend for the first time against Cena 3 months later I will be beyond pissed.

90% of The WWE roster is pretty cookie cutter. I don't want to see a plethora of over the top gimmicks like we had in the 80s and 90s but Anna is correct that the writers and wrestlers really need to position themselves further away from the rest of the roster.

A lot to chew out of that Anna. Good stuff.

1) I think the reason we see a lack of creativity out of the heels like the ones you brought up is because its a PG program so there's only so much they can get away with it out of their heels and likewise because the storylines/characters revolve around what society is all about at the moment. Like in the 80's and early 90's there was a lot of silliness...because it reflects around how silly society was with the music, style, shows etc. Anyhow, there's only so much you can do as far as inventing a new gimmick since everything has really been covered for the most part. I do think in instances like "Undashing" Cody Rhodes that the WWE let go of that way too soon, as that was something really cool and fun to dig. So much darkness out of that character, was really sick. Really felt like a super-villain. Its apart of this "ADD-based" society that exists today that the WWE tries to cater to and views the fans under that they feel the fans aren't clever enough.

2) WWE lacks faith in a fair amount of their talent, hence why they constantly have these 35+ year olds around the big angles which is a major problem of course. Likewise, I think Brock Lesnar and how he was pushed and how he departed ultimately ruined a young wrestler in the business being pushed to the stratosphere as in the WWE's mind, you have needed to paid your dues to be the cream of the crop in due time. Loyalty is good and I get they don't want a young wrestler to get over his head but also the fans really like to see a young prospect rise and start to break into his or her own. Most of the time, I can't stand the old folks in the WWE like Show or Rey or Kane as I've seen enough out of them to really not be wowed or blown away by what they do in the ring since they can't offer any innovation to what they do. Even though I was against this for Sheamus(Hypocritical much Blindy? ) in 09 since I do feel he should have stayed in ECW for a longer time and get the ECW belt before a big time belt, I do appreciate the WWE taking a chance with that at least and throwing a relative unknown to the main event scene.

3) This point plays to the above one....the fans these days aren't willing to give guys or gals a chance since there's a lot of smarky behavior in some crowds today(Which I even admit makes me laugh sometimes). Prior to Heath Slater's comedy act in 2012, he was considered hot crap by many and would not even get a single boo or reaction by the fans...almost as if the fans do it to send a message that they are not interested in someone like Slater even if he's a hell of seller and entertainer. Likewise, as shown on these boards and others I have viewed, the fans really eat up who the WWE is high on and for the people the WWE isn't high on, its almost like the wrestler has committed some unthinkable crime for fans to hop off of their bandwagon. Miz was a perfect example where 06-08 he was considered a joke and a 2nd rate performer to Morrison but then from 09-some of 11 Miz is considered a savior of the product and someone absolutely amazing but once the WWE pulled the plug on Miz being a Main Event contender, boom goes the dynamite with the support.

4) I don't blame the WWE for how they turned Sheamus to a face. The WWE needs some faces since the fans always love the heel since its cool to like evil and goody goods are considered lame by some I do hate his Bart Simpson gimmick that has him act like a 12 year old brat with his "Arse!" and childish dialogue which instantly makes me disconnect from the character since its way too much of it.

I'd bring up how much I detest the PG product and all but it won't go away so its a moot point.

- Justin Valuable

Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

I hate how the guys on here kiss ass with the girls.

you are mostly right, sheamus face turn was one of the most horific thing the WWE saw..... he was such a great hill, and even he was built way to fast in the beginning, he had a great charechter to go with and a great future as a heel.
    ADR is not that goodin the ring, he and sheamus had a few good matched, but that dosnt make him world champion material, but sheamus should have lost the championship as well, thats why I was happy when big show defited him back and HIAC.

you have failed to mention Randy Orton, one of the greatest heels of all time, being a babyface..... i have no problem with babyfaces, i am even a mark of one of them, but babyfaces need to be people that will not be that beliveable as heels, Randy Orton was and I hope will be a great heel!

ohh and by the way, Im From Israel As Well :P know FxP.co.il ?

Quote Originally Posted by C-enation View Post
    you are mostly right, sheamus face turn was one of the most horific thing the WWE saw..... he was such a great hill,

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post

Spoiler

LMFAO!

Woo I don't agree with Sheamus being stale, ahh fuck it I'm gonna just say it, They have chucked everythink at ADR to make him a top star but the guy is just soo Boring on the mic and the ring, Yea he can wrestle but he cant tell a story in the ring and his matches never grip anyone. WWE need to stop wasting their time with this guy and push other talent to the top(Rhodes, Ziggler, Bryan, Barrett). Was't he gonna retire soon anyway?

Yes Sheamus for half the year was getting stale, the feuds he was having with D Bryan & ADR being boring as fuck, but one thing about Sheamus is the guy puts on one hell of a match, everytime this guy goes out to the ring he performs with everythink hes got and the crowd eats it up. Right know hes in a great feud with Show which I think will probell him to become bigger than he is. Will he ever be as big as Cena or Punk but he probably won't be far off them. I see Sheamus with soo much potential he just needs a tweak his charater to be more badass and less goofy. Which i feel they have been doing while hes been feuding with show.

Thanks To Hayze

Some folks might say that Sheamus is stale, but I like his attitude. Why is it bad that he shakes off his loss with a positive attitude? He's a good role model for the kids. You win some some and you lose some fella.

Wipe him down with gasoline, till his arms are hard and mean.
    From now on boy this iron boat's your home.

Um Incy, He's a ginger.

Fixed!

I agree with the op's assessment of the overall lack of depth in the WWE's characters at the moment. So many of the guys are just there. They have no real clear motivation or direction, they just come out and wrestle the occasional 4 minute match, feud with so and so about something, and that's it. Feuds and storylines are a lot better when there is depth to the characters. That's one of the most important aspects of telling a good story in my opinion.

Thread Information