Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE Meeting with Stadium Officials Overseas

Default WWE Meeting with Stadium Officials Overseas

- WWE officials will be meeting with officials from the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales on Friday about the idea of doing a mega-show, perhaps a pay-per-view event from there. The Stadium holds around 75,000 fans.

WWE hasn't held a worldwide pay-per-view from the UK since the 1992 SummerSlam. WWE officials have also met with representatives from a stadium in London as well as Old Trafford, a soccer stadium in Manchester that holds 75,000.
    Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/...HgWgiQEWlGC.99
    If true then this is quite a big sign that the UK might finally be getting a big show again. It could be that WWE feels with it's UK fanbase, it could sell out a big mega-show that they can still tape so it might not neccesarily be a PPV.

Possible venues I'd imagine:

Wembley Stadium, London - 90,000 (football capacity)
    Twickenham Stadium, London - 82,000
    Old Trafford, Manchester - 75, 765
    Millenium Stadium, Cardiff - 74, 500
    Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh - 67,800
    Celtic Park, Glasgow - 60,832
    Emirates Stadium, London - 60,355

And if WWE branched out to Ireland:

Croke Park, Dublin - 82,300
    Aviva Stadium, Dublin - 65,000 (concerts)

I've always said WWE would never do a PPV over here again due to time differences but it seems odd if they're looking at big stadiums if they don't want to do something big. I don't imagine many of they stadiums are great stadiums for a wrestling event and I do think if it's held anywhere in the UK it would be in England. Wembley would be the best bet for that.
    Last edited by Wrestling MVP; 11-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Credit to Stefan

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPL CHAMPIONS 2012/13; SCOTTISH CUP 2013 WINNERS; LAST 16 OF UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2012/2013; SWISS CUP FINALISTS; UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE SEMI-FINALISTS)

Default Re: WWE Meeting with Stadium Officials Overseas

Don't like the idea because of time differences for Americans and if its like the UFC, we might get a pretaped PPV(Though UFC often makes UK UFC's free for this reason) which will never sell buyrate wise unless they do air a Sunday afternoon(US time) PPV live from the UK which it'd be night time for them.

EDIT: Ah ok you said it already WMVP

- Justin Valuable
    2x Biggest Homer(Biggest Heel) of the Year Award Winner.

Why has this report came out, just after they've been to the UK and Eire? Seems a little fishy, probably dirtsheet nonsense on a slow news day to mess with the UK fans.
    - Credit JV -
    My client Gus Poyet broke the streak!!!

This would be amazing. The Millennium Stadium generates a ridiculous atmosphere simply because of how steep and tight it is to the floor.

I would be really looking forward to this Americans, the atmosphere would be off the charts and comfortably better than you'd find at Wembley on average.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Stadium of Light had contacted WWE about the possibilities of an event. We've had a lot of concerts recently, so I can dream of a WWE show too!

Quote Originally Posted by WMS View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Stadium of Light had contacted WWE about the possibilities of an event. We've had a lot of concerts recently, so I can dream of a WWE show too!
    This man knows what he is talking about.
    - Credit JV -
    My client Gus Poyet broke the streak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JC91 View Post
    Why has this report came out, just after they've been to the UK and Eire? Seems a little fishy, probably dirtsheet nonsense on a slow news day to mess with the UK fans.
    Wouldn't call it fishy purely cause being over here would be a good time to meet with those officials. If anything it makes sense for this report to come out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Don't like the idea because of time differences for Americans and if its like the UFC, we might get a pretaped PPV(Though UFC often makes UK UFC's free for this reason) which will never sell buyrate wise unless they do air a Sunday afternoon(US time) PPV live from the UK which it'd be night time for them.

EDIT: Ah ok you said it already WMVP
    I remember that there was discussion in a thread here a while back about the possibility of a UK PPV and airing it live in the US on Sunday afternoon. I for one am all for it. I never understood why the E's PPVs are on Sunday evenings. I don't necessarily want to stay up that late on Sunday when I have to go to work monday morning. I'd love a Saturday PPV or a sunday afternoon PPV. I'd actually be more likely to buy a PPV on those times than on sunday night.

Do it. And do it now.

I don't think the WWE pays enough attention to our friends across the pond. The atmosphere of a UK PPV would be incredible no matter where they hold it. The fans over there are stellar and enjoy what's being put in the ring no matter what. Too often, I've noticed us American crowds are becoming more and more bitter. And having more bad crowds than good. It would be very refreshing, and it's long overdue.

I'm with this 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

Good for the UK. It's about time they get a big show.

And by big show, I don't mean a glorified house show, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
    When djm is telling you to wait and see, you really do need calm yo ass.
    Calm yo ass down, worrying about Cesaro.

It's long overdue that WWE is taking these steps to do another major PPV in the UK..Like other people have stated, the crowds in the UK are way more lively/responsive than most American crowds are...Since WWE has been doing houseshows in Cairo for the first time ever, it makes sense for there to be more major international PPVs in general, both in the UK as well as in other countries..It'd be great to see a major PPV emanating from Birmingham, Belfast, Barcelona, Shanghai, etc

Croke Park would be beautiful.

Really, If Vince is using his brain.. He should be pushing into Brazil, Russia, India and China.
    It there is large growth to come, those will be the markets.

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    Really, If Vince is using his brain.. He should be pushing into Brazil, Russia, India and China.
    Aren't they just now having small events in several of those places?
    I'm an Ice Cube.

The Millenium Stadium would be an amazing place for a pay-per-view, or any show for that matter. But I think the WWE would prefer London, and if it spares us a Mason Ryan title win, I'll take it.

I wonder, would the buyrate really drop significantly if the PPV was shown live on Sunday afternoon in the States? I always thought that would be a much more suitable time for kids and their parents. 8-11 UK-time would be 3-6 on the East Coast, which sounds pretty reasonable. Might be a bit more problematic for the West Coast, but maybe they expect to make up for it with an increase in European buys? I don't know, I just don't think it's as risky as people have made it out to be in the past.

Anyhow, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by @ce View Post
    The Millenium Stadium would be an amazing place for a pay-per-view, or any show for that matter. But I think the WWE would prefer London, and if it spares us a Mason Ryan title win, I'll take it.

I wonder, would the buyrate really drop significantly if the PPV was shown live on Sunday afternoon in the States? I always thought that would be a much more suitable time for kids and their parents. 8-11 UK-time would be 3-6 on the East Coast, which sounds pretty reasonable. Might be a bit more problematic for the West Coast, but maybe they expect to make up for it with an increase in European buys? I don't know, I just don't think it's as risky as people have made it out to be in the past.

Anyhow, I'm all for it.
    It's not too big a deal to have a PPV at noon here on the west coast, if it's on a Sunday. It needs to be during the the offseason for football. Too many people would pick the NFL over a PPV. Especially since one costs money. I would much prefer it to be a Saturday.
    I'm an Ice Cube.

I guess they want to do a UK PPV for Barrett to get his first major title win. The reaction for the first English WWE Champion being crowned in England would surpass anywhere else on the planet.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    It's not too big a deal to have a PPV at noon here on the west coast, if it's on a Sunday. It needs to be during the the offseason for football. Too many people would pick the NFL over a PPV. Especially since one costs money. I would much prefer it to be a Saturday.
    Agreed. They should stay away from going head to head with the NFL on sunday afternoon, but they also need to avoid going up against NASCAR. Pick a week in the summer when NASCAR has an off week or a saturday night race. I'd love a sunday afternoon PPV.

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    I fully agree..WWE is going back to Russia, actually-http://nodq.com/wwe/354424355.shtml

Vince should definitely consider holding PPVs in Moscow, Vladivostok and St Petersburg

As far as India's concerned, I'm surprised Vince never has held a PPV in India, considering they've had Khali with them for half a decade..Khali's got a tremendous cult following throughout India, so if Vince held a PPV in Mumbai or Calcutta, it'd be great for business

It's also surprising to me that Vince never held major PPVs in China..WWE has only went there for house shows..Here's a link-http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/7/6/1555400/wwe-to-finally-run-its-first-show

WWE holding Wrestlemania in Beijing or Survivor Series in Shanghai could end up generating lots of revenue as well..

I never knew why WWE hasn't held any PPVs in Brazil..Summerslam in Rio De Janeiro or The Royal Rumble in Sao Paulo are both long overdue in happening...

Vince also should consider holding PPVs in Africa..It makes sense, considering they recently held house shows in Egypt for the first time ever..Since they have Kofi, Ghana in West Africa is a potential site for a future PPV, as is Justin Gabriel's hometown Capetown or Johannesburg in South Africa..

Quote Originally Posted by Soulblazed View Post
    I fully agree..WWE is going back to Russia, actually-http://nodq.com/wwe/354424355.shtml

Vince should definitely consider holding PPVs in Moscow, Vladivostok and St Petersburg

As far as India's concerned, I'm surprised Vince never has held a PPV in India, considering they've had Khali with them for half a decade..Khali's got a tremendous cult following throughout India, so if Vince held a PPV in Mumbai or Calcutta, it'd be great for business

It's also surprising to me that Vince never held major PPVs in China..WWE has only went there for house shows..Here's a link-http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/7/6/1555400/wwe-to-finally-run-its-first-show

WWE holding Wrestlemania in Beijing or Survivor Series in Shanghai could end up generating lots of revenue as well..

I never knew why WWE hasn't held any PPVs in Brazil..Summerslam in Rio De Janeiro or The Royal Rumble in Sao Paulo are both long overdue in happening...

Vince also should consider holding PPVs in Africa..It makes sense, considering they recently held house shows in Egypt for the first time ever..Since they have Kofi, Ghana in West Africa is a potential site for a future PPV, as is Justin Gabriel's hometown Capetown or Johannesburg in South Africa..
    They should try and do that. They are in the same time zones as North America.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Croke Park would be beautiful.
    Unfortunately the dream ends here. They've never even taped a show here. No way they would start with a PPV.
    Bring back the fourth wall

Quote Originally Posted by Soulblazed View Post

I have spent a bit of time in India & China. In Mumbai where I spent a month, most of the kids had WWE T-Shirts... They called me Undertaker... It was an interesting place.

I have spent way too much time in China..

Both countries, whether it's Bollywood in India or the CCTV dramas in China are exactly the hammy overacting awesomeness that is WWE.

Also Smachdown, a rehearsed and scripted series of battles is a lot like the election of a new President in Beijing this week.

They should definitely do more internationa RAW, main Event, and SmackDown's. Despite how chaotic they were, I enjoyed the shows in Japan and Italy. Only problem I see is that the audience will find it difficult to understand in places like China and Russia if they do promos in English. For TV they're subbed/have local commentary, etc. But live it's harder when many in the audience don't understand.

House shows is mostly wrestling, so it doesn't matter.

PPV's I could see go over well overseas:

Elimination Chamber
    Extreme Rules
    Money in the Bank
    Summer Slam
    Night of Champions
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

WWE should totally do a Royal Rumble in London. You know, one of the only places in the world where using the term ROYAL in your PPV name makes sense.

I mean come on, the marketing writes itself. Maybe have William Regal challenge for a title there like the IC Title. Have Wade Barrett or Sheamus in the Main Event. I mean, come on guys.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

Thread Information