Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Doesn't Matter!! What makes a fan buy a ticket or ppv show?

Default It Doesn't Matter!! What makes a fan buy a ticket or ppv show?

In another thread I said I would create a topic to expand on an issue I think gets overlooked online by wrestling/entertainment/sports entertainment fans AND the company itself.

The question is simple. What makes a consumer purchase the wwe in live attendance, view the product on television, and buy a ppv?

What does it take for YOU to do the above?

I will get into the reasons I ask this and tie it into the company's philosophy that I believe has caused some of the apathy from fans. I already stated the company has taken this approach in 1999 and reeled back on it in 2000, but went back to it in 2001. Then did the following UNTIL 2006-7 and thereafter reeled back on it afterwards.

It may also explain why the company does what it does today.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: It Doesn't Matter!! What makes a fan buy a ticket or ppv show?

Well when I was a kid, the card was loaded and even the midcard was super entertaining, so any show was awesome to go to. These days, I only like a few people on the roster, and Punk is really the only one I love on the show. So he would be the only reason I go to a show. If he wasn't there, I wouldn't.

Of course, money is tight nowadays, so probably would only go if it was really close by.

I only bought a PPV once, and it didn't work. Now I go to a sports bar to watch.

I buy a ticket usually if it's a PPV, or if I know my fav. is champ. I almost bought in Sept., because of Ziggler possibly cashing in. But he didn't, and neither did I. I'm actually buying Wrestlemania tickets for the first time, because this might be the only chance I get, at least for another good while. And I hope some of my favorites get a chance to shine that night.
    WWE: IT'S NOT A FANDOM, IT'S A FAMILY
    Sons of Anarchy final season predictions
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

WWE never comes to my part of Australia so I don't have to worry about buying a ticket

People in general aren't as well off as they used to be, couple that with the increase of streams and it becomes why spend money if you don't have to.

I watch WWE because I like the direction and a lot of the current talent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not

The video game draft final, Emperor vs Blindy

Episode 1 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I only bought a PPV once, and it didn't work. Now I go to a sports bar to watch.

I buy a ticket usually if it's a PPV, or if I know my fav. is champ. I almost bought in Sept., because of Ziggler possibly cashing in. But he didn't, and neither did I. I'm actually buying Wrestlemania tickets for the first time, because this might be the only chance I get, at least for another good while. And I hope some of my favorites get a chance to shine that night.

What kinda hillbilly bar plays wrestling ppv?

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

Wow. It takes effort to be THAT condescending.

I think it's largely the same thing that makes people eat McDonalds. You give them a few really awesome memories as a kid, then work towards tugging on those old heartstrings with your product. It's cheap and largely unhealthy entertainment, but if they make an emotional connection with your product, BAM, you're their go-to stress reliever.

That sounds cynical, but I don't look at it as such. There's other factors involved on a show to show basis, obviously, but to answer the general question of "why do people pay for wrestling," I think that's as close to right as I'm capable of getting.

Quote Originally Posted by bret hart mark View Post
    Probably the kind owned by the kind of moonshine drinking, wife beating, meth cooking, trailer renting, dixie whistlin' Jed Clampett redneck motherfucker who'd post on a website called ProWrestling.com

Hooters

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Hooters
    What a Mind Blow

It's in the city, loads of screens. shows such events as: WWE PPV's, baseball games, football games, hockey games, UFC PPV's, and so on. The only time it ever coast something to watch this year was Wrestlemania and SummerSlam. Good beer, good food, good service.

It's actually a chain restaurant/sports bar I think. Fox & Hound.
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    Cena fan for LIFE

wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    It's in the city, loads of screens. shows such events as: WWE PPV's, baseball games, football games, hockey games, UFC PPV's, and so on. The only time it ever coast something to watch this year was Wrestlemania and SummerSlam. Good beer, good food, good service.

It's actually a chain restaurant/sports bar I think. Fox & Hound.
    SF?

SF?
    Philly
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    Cena fan for LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    The question is simple. What makes a consumer purchase the wwe in live attendance, view the product on television, and buy a ppv?

What does it take for YOU to do the above?
    This.

I'm so pumped, I can hardly contain myself. Three days until I get my tickets.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    This.

This will be my first Wrestlemania, and third PPV live.
    Survivor Series 2006
    Night of Champions 2009
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    Cena fan for LIFE

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

This.

(Shiver)

Three days until I get set for my 3rd consecutive Wrestlemania!

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

I have a pretty decent resume of live events attended, which peaked at Survivor Series 2011.

But I fully expect my first ever WrestleMania to top it all, and then some.

I just hope they put together a good card that doesn't have too many rematches.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

I could be going to my first WrestleMania next year. The level of hype cannot be measured.

I have a pretty decent resume of live events attended, which peaked at Survivor Series 2011.

But I fully expect my first ever WrestleMania to top it all, and then some.

I just hope they put together a good card that doesn't have too many rematches.
    I'll say this, WM27 is one of the worst Manias of all time. But it will forever be my personal favorite, because it was my first Wrestlemania in person. The card being incredible is nice (like this year), but the environment and atmosphere is what makes it off the chart. That feeling when the show starts, thinking about it still gives me goosebumps.

I completely forgot about Raw tonight. One question: how big of a pop did Barrett get?

The RTruth
    RT bolieves in PW.

Banned

He had the biggest pop of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I completely forgot about Raw tonight. One question: how big of a pop did Barrett get?
    One of the best of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Amazing, the crowd were behind him all match
    - Credit: Bender -

Okay I'm glad for the feedback and I will also use WrestleMania as one of the leading points to explain why I said the company's philosophy will explain why the company does certain things although I don't agree with it. Why I also believe it has caused a negative effect on viewership over the years.

#1 The WWF in the 1980's was a different beast and had different things to accomplish. Pro Wrestling at this time was all about THE DRAWS. The wrestlers were VERY essential in a promoter's well being and acquiring the right "superstars" was key. These "superstars" were the ingredients needed to give flavor to a promotion's fanbase.

This brings me to Hulk Hogan. Say whatever one has to say about the guy, but the viewers in live arenas and television were attracted to Hogan's star presence. With him leading the pack the company acquired(or stole to some people) regional stars from other territories such as Junkyard Dog. The television shows were used locally for various reasons as the company knew those guys were draws in certain parts of the country. It worked for the most part.

The business is all about main events and stars reaching the main event or that's how I believe it should be or it was. I will use WrestleMania III as an example as it is widely known as THE EVENT that made WrestleMania a household name and bona fide sports and entertainment pop culture phenomenon.

Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage, Adrian Adonis, Roddy Piper, The British Bulldogs, and The Hart Foundation. In my estimation these were the men who helped draw that house in the SilverDome with Hogan and Andre obviously the biggest contributors.

The undercard of the show was used to flesh out the show, BUT those matches and stars were used in a fashion for post Mania III. I did not put Honky Tonk Man in that list as at the time he was being mocked as a babyface who was forced to turn heel. At that event he pulled the upset win over Jake The Snake(who was quite popular and a draw himself). HTM received some serious heat and was exposed to the new audience and a new mid card star was made. He was built up for his upset win later against Ricky Steamboat who later on in the night had one of the most memorable clashes ever with Savage(which in turn helped turn Savage face who at the time many didn't think fathomable since just months prior he was even getting jeered against Jake The Snake who was a heel on SNME before turning face).

Hogan had lost a little steam after beating Andre because he seemed invincible and there were few guys who fans believed could topple him. However, at Mania III Butch Reed won convincingly against the likes of Ko Ko B. Ware and started a house show run with Hogan post Mania III. Every win and loss was used to lead somewhere so it would seem like every match meant something.

This kind of method was used from 1987 to 1990 where commentators would even proclaim mid card matches on ppv shows "as a main event anywhere in the world, but only at this ppv could it be in the mid-card" mentality was presented to fans. The mid and lower card were used as a breeding ground for the main event scene which is why the mid card use to seem more like a ladder of success than it is now. Why? There was a focus on winning and losing "purses". It meant something.

WrestleMania VI we saw it headlined by the likes of Hogan, Warrior, Demolition, Andre/Haku, Jake "The Snake", Ted Dibiase, Randy Savage, and Dusty Rhodes. Now think about how those guys came into prominence. Just as WM III the mid card was used to build toward the summer programs. Rick Rude went over Jimmy Snuka convincingly and at that time it was not known he was going to headline the next ppv show or the summer title programs. Earthquake went over quite easy too at the event along with The Hart Foundation. Now as I have mentioned on these boards before watching each Mania and comparing it without using real time doesn't do the shows justice in terms of the earlier undercards and this is the reason why. Earthquake would then go on to have the summer program with Hogan after being established at the big event as a guy who squashes wrestlers. All the wrestlers had distinct traits that even if the fans didn't remember catch phrases they would remember the mannerisms.

I call this phase the time of the company making sure the wrestlers were draws and not the other way around since the business was trying to expand into territories that were traditionally not wwe towns. The company needed to give the towns the illusion that their town stars were heading to them through the powerhouse company that Hulk Hogan was champion of.

I ask right now does the company today evoke this kind of feeling amongst its fans after the big ppv shows? Does Mania do this to fans nowadays where they care to follow up? Take notice I know all about the changing times, but at its crutch why can't the company keep the momentum post Mania? It has taught fans "it doesn't matter". I will get into post 1990 and WM VI.

Quote Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post
    I'll say this, WM27 is one of the worst Manias of all time. But it will forever be my personal favorite, because it was my first Wrestlemania in person. The card being incredible is nice (like this year), but the environment and atmosphere is what makes it off the chart. That feeling when the show starts, thinking about it still gives me goosebumps.
    I will get into more detail about this, but it has been touched upon somewhat in my post above.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

So I realized I posted in the wrong thread by accident, then came in here expectng ridicule, but got friendly answers instead.

....this IS the WWE forum, right? I'm not lost again am I?

The RTruth
    RT bolieves in PW.

Thread Information