Thread: Paul Orndorff says Ric Flair is a joke & guys like Hart and Savage devalued the title

Default Paul Orndorff says Ric Flair is a joke & guys like Hart and Savage devalued the title

On the 15th episode of Inside The Ropes (www.facebook.com/theinsidenetwork) on Thursday night at 42 mins and 20 seconds in, the hosts interviewed the legendary Paul Orndorff. During the interview Orndorff slammed several stars including Bret Hart and Ric Flair, and the following are highlights:

About facing Ric Flair in 1982 for NWA World Championship:

“He was just another body. Some are better than others. I believed in making it look real. I was probably hard to work with because I wanted it to make real and I knew how to wrestle.”

Experience of working at the first WrestleMania in the main event:

“It was special. There were so many people. It was the largest crowd to ever watch it. And then the pay per view of it was just ungodly. This was my opportunity to be really noticed and be seen. My paycheck….it was huge. I made more money in that 30 minutes than I did in a whole year with the NWA. People expected it and they were gonna get it from me.”

Working with Mr. T in the main event of WrestleMania I:

“I wasn’t crazy about it. I was very protective WrestleMania 1of the business. I was taught that. You take care of it. You don’t give out all your trade secrets. But then again you look at somebody like Ric Flair and you can say how can you hide something when they look like that? So I guess I started to give in a little bit.”

Transition in WWF from wrestling to entertainment in mid 80’s:

“It depends on your personality. I protected it. To me that wasn’t protecting it. As you can see right now, because they didn’t protect it, where it is now, there’s only two shows now. Look how many there was, there was one in every state, now look where it is.”

On Vince using guys like Warrior, more about the body:

“I thought it was the worst move they could’ve made. Vince did it on purpose. He did it so he could be the only one.”

On Warrior:

“He never paid his dues. You gotta pay your dues, go and learn your trade that’ll make it better when you are on that big stage. It’s called experience and nobody has any now, because there’s nowhere to go to get it.”

Right decision to give the belt to smaller stars like Savage and Bret?

“No. Absolutely not. It’s like putting the belt on someone who wants to be a wrestler. It didn’t work. It downgraded, made the belt worthless. When Terry Funk, Harley Race had world titles, it meant more.”

Opinion on long rumor that Hogan wouldn’t drop the belt to Bret in 1993:

“I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t have either. Bret Hart was a nobody from Canada and Hogan was the greatest star in wrestling. I don’t blame him. He did the right thing.”

Quick Fire Thoughts:

Ultimate Warrior: “I gotta go to the bathroom………………..NEXT!”

Vince McMahon: “One of a kind.”

Hulk Hogan: “Great.”

Bret Hart: “I don’t care much for Canadians.”

Randy Savage: “OK.”

Ric Flair: “A Joke.”

This interview is from early 2012
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: Paul Orndorff says Ric Flair is a joke & guys like Hart and Savage devalued the t

That was awesome even I do love Flair and Savage.

Default Re: Paul Orndorff says Ric Flair is a joke & guys like Hart and Savage devalued the t

Orndorff : "I don't care much for Canadians"

Darkmania: I used to like Paul Orndorff

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

He's Mr. Wonderful when it comes to being a prick.
    It's showtime, folks!

Gaberlunzie Jackanapes RINGKING's Avatar

Always liked Orndorff, and always will. Cat is old school. The old school mentality of things sometimes is over the top, but it is hard to argue it pureness. Maybe not right, but at least honest and blunt.

Banner by-ThreadKiller

Back in the saddle. Heartburn Kid's Avatar

Great interview. Has he done a shoot video? (Meant for industry, sure he knows)

I believe he did one with Feinstein a few years ago

Oh yea, I'm all over it. Pedo Feinstein at Rf has the finest shoots in all the land. Now I know how I'm spending my Friday night. (Youtubing this, not with Feinstein. I'm too old for him )

Bret and Savage are the same size if not bigger then race and funk. so he doesnt have a clue of what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    Right decision to give the belt to smaller stars like Savage and Bret?

“No. Absolutely not. It’s like putting the belt on someone who wants to be a wrestler. It didn’t work. It downgraded, made the belt worthless. When Terry Funk, Harley Race had world titles, it meant more.”

Opinion on long rumor that Hogan wouldn’t drop the belt to Bret in 1993:

“I don’t blame him. I wouldn’t have either. Bret Hart was a nobody from Canada and Hogan was the greatest star in wrestling. I don’t blame him. He did the right thing.”

Quick Fire Thoughts:

Ultimate Warrior: “I gotta go to the bathroom………………..NEXT!”

Vince McMahon: “One of a kind.”

Hulk Hogan: “Great.”

Bret Hart: “I don’t care much for Canadians.”

Randy Savage: “OK.”

Ric Flair: “A Joke.”

This interview is from early 2012
    ROFLMFAO!!!! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

He "believed in making it look real" and thinks Hogan is "great". Uh-huh.

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

What the fuck did Paul Orndorff ever amount to that suddenly he's an authority on anything besides being a fifth banana?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Crippler View Post
    What the fuck did Paul Orndorff ever amount to that suddenly he's an authority on anything besides being a fifth banana?
    How little you know about pro wrestlin history.

Banned

Paul is just jealous. The only time he was great was teaming with Paul Roma with Roma carrying him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    How little you know about pro wrestlin history.
    I know Paul Orndorff feuded with Hulk Hogan. I know he was Roddy Piper's sidekick. I know he was a talented wrestler, and a name in the territories. But in the annals of wrestling history, he'll never be anything more than Hogan's sidekick. Which is also what Brutus was, and what Savage was, and even what Piper was in a way. So Orndorff is a fifth banana.

I thought he hated Hogan??

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    I thought he hated Hogan??
    When your are putting yourself you bash HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN. When it comes time to be honest you praise him. That's why he's the grestest of all time.

Banned

Or when it's time to be a spineless kissass on the very edge of the public consciousness that's begging for attention.

Banned

I love it when people speak their mind and don't hold back. But a couple of things he said here made no sense. Saying Ric Flair's look alone 'exposed' the business, but then says Hogan is great, despite his clubbing (terrible) punches and pinning people with a legdrop? Says that smaller guys like Savage and Bret shouldn't have won the title, but has no problem with Terry Funk having been a world champion?

I also thought he hated Hogan. He seemed to snub him back at the 2005 HOF.

Here's a radio shoot I just found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXXnQwL9_G0

We all know that what Orndorf said makes zero sense..he's about on par with the rest of the old timers that never changed with the times. They just never got it.

Orndorff is just jealous guys like Savage, Flair and Bret are more famous and will always be more popular then he ever was. Take a bow, you old geezer.

Orndorff is one of the greatest performers in wrestling history, but his stories and opinions seem to be inconsistent and bullshit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by King_Steve View Post
    Orndorff is one of the greatest performers in wrestling history, but his stories and opinions seem to be inconsistent and bullshit.
    He wasn't better than Paul Roma though

Thread Information