Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119

Thread: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,074
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Champions

    CM Punk is creeping up on becoming the longest reining champion as we know. It was stated by Paul Heyman on Monday he is the greatest of all-time.

    So has the build started? Earlier this year The Rock proclaimed he had to defeat Cena to become the greatest of all-time.

    Rock vs. CM Punk at Royal Rumble if he doesn't lose the title before then would mean Rock faces the greatest champion in terms of length in the last 25 years(conveniently cuts out Hogan at the top and has Cena there in the above picture lol great marketing).

    If Rock wins could he brag also brag he beat the greatest champion of the last quarter century to solidify himself for the title of GOAT.

    Enter John Cena vs Rock in the biggest rematch of all-time in New Jersey/New York which is a wwe mecca.

    Too bad Bruno didn't accept the HOF ceremony to help pimp this title match to declare the greatest ever.

    Of course, this is all great marketing IF it goes down in this manner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  2. #2
    I BITE! iNCY's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,747
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    That graph doesn't really tell the true story of the title.

    I remember two distinct periods in the last 10 years where both Cena and HHH practically had the belts glued to them, yes maybe they dropped it at a pay-per-view, but then they won it right back. Both times I got put of wrestling completely as it was guaranteed the HHH would pull out the sledgehammer (No not steph's face) and get DQ'd. THe night he had Jericho's win overturned I nearly put my fist through the TV. Cena was superman for two years going over everyone cleaner than Mister Sparkle.



    This run has been completely different as in its unpredictability and the way there have been no squashes.
    I don't see anyone in the roster that can make anyone in the title hunt look as good as Punk does.

  3. #3
    Baseball is Life. Ice's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The City.
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,374
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    I wish the length of title reigns and how many times you've won it still mattered. Fact is, they've whored it out a lot since the rise of the attitude era. As the product has changed, that's something that remains. As for Punk? Sure, he'll be the longest in a quarter century but he's also a heel now. Which means he'll get far less recognition on air for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

  4. #4
    I BITE! iNCY's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,747
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    I did some quick maths:

    Between 1999-2009 Triple H held the belt for 421 days. 11% of the time
    Between 2005-2011 John Cena held the belt for 1058 days. 48% of the time.

    No wonder I hate the WWE for pushing Cena down our damn throat for so long.
    That's a sad indictment on the roster and the creative team.

    I liked Cena before they started pushing him harder than a junkie dealer trying to pay for their next score.

  5. #5
    Santa Clawz
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    I did some quick maths:

    Between 1999-2009 Triple H held the belt for 421 days. 11% of the time
    Between 2005-2011 John Cena held the belt for 1058 days. 48% of the time.

    No wonder I hate the WWE for pushing Cena down our damn throat for so long.
    That's a sad indictment on the roster and the creative team.

    I liked Cena before they started pushing him harder than a junkie dealer trying to pay for their next score.
    Yup. One of the reasons why I absolutely detest the guy now. Add to the fact that he has played the same boring character and saying the same garbage for almost just as long. It's sickening.

  6. #6
    KLockard23
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Yes, he will be. Now that he's survived HIAC with Ryback, there's no reason to think he'll lose it before the Rumble.

  7. #7
    Codebreaker
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    I have no doubt it's Punk Rock at the Rumble. And I don't mean music.

  8. #8
    Moderator Emperor's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Asteroids Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,296
    vCash
    1920
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Cena holding the title for nearly half of the 2005-2011 time period is an amazing stat

    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I wish the length of title reigns and how many times you've won it still mattered.
    The number of title reigns hasn't mattered for a long time. I have long believed that title reign quality should be gauged by the number of successful title defenses. The WWE and WHC titles get defended on a monthly basis so for those titles the length of a title reign is a good indicator of the quality of that reign. Compare this to midcard titles when a few years back you had guys like MVP holding the US Title for many months, and bragging about it, but never defending it because the WWE didn't care to book programs around midcard titles. CM Punk has defended his title on every PPV (I think) since winning the belt, so the fact that he's held it for nearly a year actually means something, as opposed to lengthy midcard title reigns like MVP's that mean nothing.

  9. #9
    Codebreaker
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Ziggler, the Chamber, Jericho twice, Bryan 3 times and Kane during one of those, Cena/Show, Cena again and then Ryback. Just a great year of ppv title defenses and all of them were good matches.

    Survivor Series will be the only show of the year where he doesn't defend the title.

  10. #10
    KLockard23
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    And the TLC match with Miz/Del Rio, which I thought was great.

  11. #11
    PW's serial contest loser Oncall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    13,507
    vCash
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    The title scenes and match quality have improved immensely. There's no reason to take the title off Punk before the rumble.


    A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork


    Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Flick Rare View Post
    Come on guys! You llike who you like and that's never wrong. Unless you like Eva Marie.

  12. #12
    KLockard23
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    I still have a small feeling Punk will retain somehow against The Rock at the Rumble.

  13. #13
    Codebreaker
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    I still have a small feeling Punk will retain somehow against The Rock at the Rumble.
    Well if so, then who will take Punk's title and when?

  14. #14
    Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere (Georgia)
    Age
    30
    Posts
    20,517
    vCash
    2682
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    I still think we get Punk vs Cena at TLC, winner goes into the Rumble to face Rock as champion.

    THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE


    I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,074
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    That graph doesn't really tell the true story of the title.

    I remember two distinct periods in the last 10 years where both Cena and HHH practically had the belts glued to them, yes maybe they dropped it at a pay-per-view, but then they won it right back. Both times I got put of wrestling completely as it was guaranteed the HHH would pull out the sledgehammer (No not steph's face) and get DQ'd. THe night he had Jericho's win overturned I nearly put my fist through the TV. Cena was superman for two years going over everyone cleaner than Mister Sparkle.
    Yeah the graph is strategically leaves out the long storied history of the belt because it tops out at Cena and to the uninitiated it looks like Punk is Hogan's tail too in the list while we all know there's no chance in hell he would beat Hogan's first reign.

    It will be interesting to see if he breaks Cena's top position. As I said great marketing.

    Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    I did some quick maths:

    Between 1999-2009 Triple H held the belt for 421 days. 11% of the time
    Between 2005-2011 John Cena held the belt for 1058 days. 48% of the time.
    Interesting, that is quite amazing for this Era.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  16. #16
    Banned ToXiCiTy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,790
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    I did some quick maths:

    Between 1999-2009 Triple H held the belt for 421 days. 11% of the time
    Between 2005-2011 John Cena held the belt for 1058 days. 48% of the time.

    No wonder I hate the WWE for pushing Cena down our damn throat for so long.
    That's a sad indictment on the roster and the creative team.

    I liked Cena before they started pushing him harder than a junkie dealer trying to pay for their next score.
    And people have the balls to bitch, that Cena loses too much. The guy is in that graph three times!

  17. #17
    L.T.D Edition L.T.D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,382
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Wouldn't it be amazing if the 379th or 380th day of CM Punk's reign landed on a PPV or episode of Raw. Then he could defend the title against Cena with Cena trying to prevent him over taking him as the longest reigning champion in 25 years. That would be amazing.

  18. #18
    #Moyeszone Jake's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sunderland
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,382
    vCash
    1550
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    Wouldn't it be amazing if the 379th or 380th day of CM Punk's reign landed on a PPV or episode of Raw. Then he could defend the title against Cena with Cena trying to prevent him over taking him as the longest reigning champion in 25 years. That would be amazing.
    I think that's what they're building towards.

  19. #19
    #BROKEN Smark Djm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17,433
    vCash
    828
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    Wouldn't it be amazing if the 379th or 380th day of CM Punk's reign landed on a PPV or episode of Raw. Then he could defend the title against Cena with Cena trying to prevent him over taking him as the longest reigning champion in 25 years. That would be amazing.
    And he'll lose.

  20. #20
    L.T.D Edition L.T.D's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,382
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Well does anyone know for sure if that day lands on a day that there's a show on? If that's what they're building towards it's awesome, something that's completely new and never been done before as far as I know. It would be great.

  21. #21
    Codebreaker
    Guest

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    I believe TLC is day 392, so even if Cena beat Punk at TLC the record is Punk's. No way does he lose on Raw, and since he is not defending the title at Series, Punk has nothing to worry about. This record belongs to Punk now.

  22. #22
    Still an Edgehead!!! Dose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,732
    vCash
    749
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    If Cena takes the title from Punk on a Raw... I don't know what I might do...

    Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

  23. #23
    COYG Todd's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    26
    Posts
    15,745
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    He has absolutely worked his ass off with this reign. He just deserves to hold it through to the Rumble now. He's still the most interesting thing on the show.

  24. #24
    is not your buddy, guy.

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    20,387
    vCash
    3596
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    THe night he had Jericho's win overturned I nearly put my fist through the TV.
    I've been a Jericho mark since his run in WCW, and I remember in vivid detail the rage I felt that night. Yet another reason why I think Triple H is the best heel of all-time, but holy shit was I ready to kill somebody.

    I definitely think that Punk will carry the title into the Rumble, and I definitely think that this will be the major focus for when he begins to feud with John Cena.

    I've been hoping for this angle for months now: after beating Team Foley at Survivor Series, CM Punk continues his usual "Best In The World/Greatest of All-Time" speeches that obviously get interrupted by Cena. The main focus becomes Cena trying to take the belt before Punk can break his record, which Punk throws in Cena's face at every opportunity. He sneaks out victories over Cena until the Rumble, where The Rock gets his shot and finally shuts Punk's mouth. However, the record is broken, and CM Punk can fall back on that, claiming he's the greatest ever even without the title.

    Then we get the road to Wrestlemania, and CM Punk, The Rock & John Cena are all tied up in the hunt for the title. It will be fun, and it will be awesome.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Greywolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,078
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I've been a Jericho mark since his run in WCW, and I remember in vivid detail the rage I felt that night. Yet another reason why I think Triple H is the best heel of all-time, but holy shit was I ready to kill somebody.

    I definitely think that Punk will carry the title into the Rumble, and I definitely think that this will be the major focus for when he begins to feud with John Cena.

    I've been hoping for this angle for months now: after beating Team Foley at Survivor Series, CM Punk continues his usual "Best In The World/Greatest of All-Time" speeches that obviously get interrupted by Cena. The main focus becomes Cena trying to take the belt before Punk can break his record, which Punk throws in Cena's face at every opportunity. He sneaks out victories over Cena until the Rumble, where The Rock gets his shot and finally shuts Punk's mouth. However, the record is broken, and CM Punk can fall back on that, claiming he's the greatest ever even without the title.

    Then we get the road to Wrestlemania, and CM Punk, The Rock & John Cena are all tied up in the hunt for the title. It will be fun, and it will be awesome.
    Rock vs. Punk vs. Cena at Mania?
    or Iron Man match between Punk vs. Cena at Mania?
    TJ Perkins - Lose Yourself
    Finn Balor is the future of the WWE
    Siera, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta - Forever
    Cena fan for LIFE
    Did you know, without lifts, Ambrose is taller than Reigns by an inch?

    banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •