Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

Default CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WWE_Champions

CM Punk is creeping up on becoming the longest reining champion as we know. It was stated by Paul Heyman on Monday he is the greatest of all-time.

So has the build started? Earlier this year The Rock proclaimed he had to defeat Cena to become the greatest of all-time.

Rock vs. CM Punk at Royal Rumble if he doesn't lose the title before then would mean Rock faces the greatest champion in terms of length in the last 25 years(conveniently cuts out Hogan at the top and has Cena there in the above picture lol great marketing).

If Rock wins could he brag also brag he beat the greatest champion of the last quarter century to solidify himself for the title of GOAT.

Enter John Cena vs Rock in the biggest rematch of all-time in New Jersey/New York which is a wwe mecca.

Too bad Bruno didn't accept the HOF ceremony to help pimp this title match to declare the greatest ever.

Of course, this is all great marketing IF it goes down in this manner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

That graph doesn't really tell the true story of the title.

I remember two distinct periods in the last 10 years where both Cena and HHH practically had the belts glued to them, yes maybe they dropped it at a pay-per-view, but then they won it right back. Both times I got put of wrestling completely as it was guaranteed the HHH would pull out the sledgehammer (No not steph's face) and get DQ'd. THe night he had Jericho's win overturned I nearly put my fist through the TV. Cena was superman for two years going over everyone cleaner than Mister Sparkle.

This run has been completely different as in its unpredictability and the way there have been no squashes.
    I don't see anyone in the roster that can make anyone in the title hunt look as good as Punk does.

Default Re: CM PUNK Countdown Thread: Will he be the longest reigning champ of last 25 years?

I wish the length of title reigns and how many times you've won it still mattered. Fact is, they've whored it out a lot since the rise of the attitude era. As the product has changed, that's something that remains. As for Punk? Sure, he'll be the longest in a quarter century but he's also a heel now. Which means he'll get far less recognition on air for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

I did some quick maths:

Between 1999-2009 Triple H held the belt for 421 days. 11% of the time
    Between 2005-2011 John Cena held the belt for 1058 days. 48% of the time.

No wonder I hate the WWE for pushing Cena down our damn throat for so long.
    That's a sad indictment on the roster and the creative team.

I liked Cena before they started pushing him harder than a junkie dealer trying to pay for their next score.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    I did some quick maths:

I liked Cena before they started pushing him harder than a junkie dealer trying to pay for their next score.
    Yup. One of the reasons why I absolutely detest the guy now. Add to the fact that he has played the same boring character and saying the same garbage for almost just as long. It's sickening.

Banned

Yes, he will be. Now that he's survived HIAC with Ryback, there's no reason to think he'll lose it before the Rumble.

I have no doubt it's Punk Rock at the Rumble. And I don't mean music.

Cena holding the title for nearly half of the 2005-2011 time period is an amazing stat

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    I wish the length of title reigns and how many times you've won it still mattered.
    The number of title reigns hasn't mattered for a long time. I have long believed that title reign quality should be gauged by the number of successful title defenses. The WWE and WHC titles get defended on a monthly basis so for those titles the length of a title reign is a good indicator of the quality of that reign. Compare this to midcard titles when a few years back you had guys like MVP holding the US Title for many months, and bragging about it, but never defending it because the WWE didn't care to book programs around midcard titles. CM Punk has defended his title on every PPV (I think) since winning the belt, so the fact that he's held it for nearly a year actually means something, as opposed to lengthy midcard title reigns like MVP's that mean nothing.

Ziggler, the Chamber, Jericho twice, Bryan 3 times and Kane during one of those, Cena/Show, Cena again and then Ryback. Just a great year of ppv title defenses and all of them were good matches.

Survivor Series will be the only show of the year where he doesn't defend the title.

Banned

And the TLC match with Miz/Del Rio, which I thought was great.

The title scenes and match quality have improved immensely. There's no reason to take the title off Punk before the rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not

The video game draft final, Emperor vs Blindy

Episode 1 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Emperor

Banned

I still have a small feeling Punk will retain somehow against The Rock at the Rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by KLockard23 View Post
    I still have a small feeling Punk will retain somehow against The Rock at the Rumble.
    Well if so, then who will take Punk's title and when?

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

I still think we get Punk vs Cena at TLC, winner goes into the Rumble to face Rock as champion.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

That graph doesn't really tell the true story of the title.

I remember two distinct periods in the last 10 years where both Cena and HHH practically had the belts glued to them, yes maybe they dropped it at a pay-per-view, but then they won it right back. Both times I got put of wrestling completely as it was guaranteed the HHH would pull out the sledgehammer (No not steph's face) and get DQ'd. THe night he had Jericho's win overturned I nearly put my fist through the TV. Cena was superman for two years going over everyone cleaner than Mister Sparkle.
    Yeah the graph is strategically leaves out the long storied history of the belt because it tops out at Cena and to the uninitiated it looks like Punk is Hogan's tail too in the list while we all know there's no chance in hell he would beat Hogan's first reign.

It will be interesting to see if he breaks Cena's top position. As I said great marketing.

I did some quick maths:

Interesting, that is quite amazing for this Era.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I did some quick maths:

And people have the balls to bitch, that Cena loses too much. The guy is in that graph three times!

Wouldn't it be amazing if the 379th or 380th day of CM Punk's reign landed on a PPV or episode of Raw. Then he could defend the title against Cena with Cena trying to prevent him over taking him as the longest reigning champion in 25 years. That would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    Wouldn't it be amazing if the 379th or 380th day of CM Punk's reign landed on a PPV or episode of Raw. Then he could defend the title against Cena with Cena trying to prevent him over taking him as the longest reigning champion in 25 years. That would be amazing.
    I think that's what they're building towards.
    - Credit: Bender -

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    And he'll lose.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

Well does anyone know for sure if that day lands on a day that there's a show on? If that's what they're building towards it's awesome, something that's completely new and never been done before as far as I know. It would be great.

I believe TLC is day 392, so even if Cena beat Punk at TLC the record is Punk's. No way does he lose on Raw, and since he is not defending the title at Series, Punk has nothing to worry about. This record belongs to Punk now.

If Cena takes the title from Punk on a Raw... I don't know what I might do...

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

He has absolutely worked his ass off with this reign. He just deserves to hold it through to the Rumble now. He's still the most interesting thing on the show.

THe night he had Jericho's win overturned I nearly put my fist through the TV.
    I've been a Jericho mark since his run in WCW, and I remember in vivid detail the rage I felt that night. Yet another reason why I think Triple H is the best heel of all-time, but holy shit was I ready to kill somebody.

I definitely think that Punk will carry the title into the Rumble, and I definitely think that this will be the major focus for when he begins to feud with John Cena.

I've been hoping for this angle for months now: after beating Team Foley at Survivor Series, CM Punk continues his usual "Best In The World/Greatest of All-Time" speeches that obviously get interrupted by Cena. The main focus becomes Cena trying to take the belt before Punk can break his record, which Punk throws in Cena's face at every opportunity. He sneaks out victories over Cena until the Rumble, where The Rock gets his shot and finally shuts Punk's mouth. However, the record is broken, and CM Punk can fall back on that, claiming he's the greatest ever even without the title.

Then we get the road to Wrestlemania, and CM Punk, The Rock & John Cena are all tied up in the hunt for the title. It will be fun, and it will be awesome.

The RTruth
    RT bolieves in PW.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I've been a Jericho mark since his run in WCW, and I remember in vivid detail the rage I felt that night. Yet another reason why I think Triple H is the best heel of all-time, but holy shit was I ready to kill somebody.

I definitely think that Punk will carry the title into the Rumble, and I definitely think that this will be the major focus for when he begins to feud with John Cena.

I've been hoping for this angle for months now: after beating Team Foley at Survivor Series, CM Punk continues his usual "Best In The World/Greatest of All-Time" speeches that obviously get interrupted by Cena. The main focus becomes Cena trying to take the belt before Punk can break his record, which Punk throws in Cena's face at every opportunity. He sneaks out victories over Cena until the Rumble, where The Rock gets his shot and finally shuts Punk's mouth. However, the record is broken, and CM Punk can fall back on that, claiming he's the greatest ever even without the title.

Then we get the road to Wrestlemania, and CM Punk, The Rock & John Cena are all tied up in the hunt for the title. It will be fun, and it will be awesome.
    Rock vs. Punk vs. Cena at Mania?
    or Iron Man match between Punk vs. Cena at Mania?
    WWE: IT'S NOT A FANDOM, IT'S A FAMILY
    Sons of Anarchy final season predictions
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Thread Information