Thread: World Wrestling Entertainment vs World Wrestling Federation

Default WWE vs WWF vs WWWF

World Wrestling Federation and World Wrestling Entertainment.

What were and are the differences and at its peak which caused more positives and negatives?

The Entertainment Era where more focus on entertainment than true pro wrestling and its effects on today's product.

I posted these videos because it was the beginning of the slide at the beginning of the decade when the product really got over exposed in more ways than one which may have done long term damage.

The Federation Era where more focus on transformation from pro wrestling to sports entertainment.

The above video illustrates the transformation of the 80's to current PG Era

Before the Expansion the sport in the media

The fall of The Federation Era (Early 90's scandal)

Now the question is which entity did more for the business and did worse for the business?

On the surface it may seem like a superficial question that its the same company, but in reality WWE and WWF are two totally different beasts.

What are your pros and cons from each version of the Boss' Empire?

At their peaks which company would you take? Which company do you personally prefer and why?

Take into account the different approach in styles from all aspects from the heavy kayfabe to the action adventure to PG philosophies.

What if anything can the company today learn from its past mistakes and learn from the positives?
    Last edited by Vince Mcmahon; 11-01-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Default Re: World Wrestling Entertainment vs World Wrestling Federation

Actually neither "World Wrestling Entertainment" nor "The World Wrestling Federation" exist in name anymore. They are just "WWE". Hence "WWE Product".

I never really paid too much attention to detail, but when people compare the two, the only big difference for me was the brand extension. I don't think it hurt the company, but I would have preferred one World Champion. However, buying WCW and being the only game in town did hurt the biz a little. With no real competition, Vince isn't forced to really up the ante like he used to. But I don't put the blame on Vince really, the company was going under either way. The only other name I remember trying to buy it was Bischoff and I have no doubt he would have screwed it up, after all he was in charge for years and is part of the blame for its demise in the first place.

Banned

As mentioned, the main thing that separates the eras in terms of the company name is the brand extension, which doesn't exist on TV or PPV nowadays, but the fact that are two world world titles does. Other than that, the only way I really separate each era is by the different wrestlers/superstars that are in each era.

I do think WWF (World Wrestling Federation) is a much better sounding company name than WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment.) Vince thinks so too, because he's still accidentally called it the WWF a few of times in the last couple of years.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

The biggest difference is that WWF was a fun escapist company that anyone could enjoy and the WWE is much more of an aquierd taste that mostly only appeals to die hard fans.

I actually disagree with the notion that today's WWE is more entertainment centered than the golden era.

I think it is compared to pre Hulkamania era but the Hogan era was much more about characters and promos than today's WWE.

Raw has way more long wrestling matches every week now than they used to pre brandsplit.

That may work for some but for many wrestling fans who used to tune in in much larger numbers, the actual wrestling of the show used to be the icing on the entertainment cake.

In ring action is cool but without interesting characters working them they lose their appeal real quick Imo which is something I think this era suffers from big time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Boss View Post
    Actually neither "World Wrestling Entertainment" nor "The World Wrestling Federation" exist in name anymore. They are just "WWE". Hence "WWE Product".
    This is partly why I made the thread. I think the wwwf, wwf, and wwe are all really different and it may still have some of its long time fans watching, but I believe the huge changes has caused the different landscapes.

I don't think wwe of today would have been as successful in another Era and vice versa because of desired tastes. It is funny hearing Hogan say the fans who wanted blood and guts wrestling was gone and newer fans came in. I say that time period he is speaking about was in 1988 and 1989 when the company became more Walt Disney. However it is arguable that "family entertainment" approach hurt the evolution from 83-88 with audiences(first signs of leaks and pre-planned nature of the business started to slip from February 1988). It became an action adventure although aspects of the change were slowly implemented in the fall of 1987. It was a reason why the history of the titles videotapes were released because the company knew the shift in change would perhaps turn away fans of pre-Mania III Era(there was a difference in the product).

Attitude Era WWF tried to fix some of this somewhat initially with promos having HBK challenging any athlete in any sport to do what he did. It was revealed on television the boss being a master puppeteer who tries to get the "corporate champ" for PR reasons(which was revealed somewhat in that time line I stated above in 88 and 89. It worked brilliantly for the fans who believed the third wall was being exposed and that they were seeing the behind the scenes machinations playing out on with them having a say although it was still a new version of kayfabe.

Somewhere in 1999 this changed into the male soap opera where believability that was instituted for Attitude took a backseat for hollywood writers and so on which Austin later complained about.

Then we got Ruthless Aggression Era/Brand Split where it was a weird mix of athletics and male soap opera, but I think in 2000 the company probably over exposed itself too much in terms of showing the phoniness of the business like that Rock interview above.

Then we got the PG Era led by John Cena.

I think the company's competition is itself and how many different type of fans with varying tastes have come and gone over the years.

Some fans love the heavy kayfabe because of believability. Some like the carny nature of the business with all the wacky Bugs Bunny stuff. Some like the Jerry Spring shock value nature.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information