Thread: Long storylines or short lived feuds?

Default Long storylines or short lived feuds?

People here seem to want long, drawn out, cleverly written storylines that don't insult their intelligence but at the same time wish to judge and conclude every feud after the first couple of weeks, or even moments, of its inception.

Can the WWE writing team win or do wrestling fans over estimate their own intelligence and attention span?

Discuss.
    Bring back the fourth wall

Default Re: Long storylines or short lived feuds?

Quote Originally Posted by Push Goldust
    Can the WWE writing team win or do wrestling fans over estimate their own intelligence and attention span?
    Honestly it depends on both the writers and the fans. Obviously, they will never be able to accommodate and satisfy every single wrestling fan in the world. Cena is 50/50 hate/love. Many people love to cheer some of the top heels out there right now. It's not as black and white as it once was when you cheered Hogan and booed which ever guy Bobby Heenan sent his way.

A lot of fans think they are smarter than the WWE writing team. I happen to be one of them. However, for all the things the creative team flubs, they also do a ton of things that are very entertaining. My major problem is that Vince keeps the product running under the same formula that it has been running on for the last several years. Push Cena to the moon. And anytime anyone gets a following that isn't generated by Vince then bury their push. Instead of just Punk and Cena and currently trying to get Sheamus to that point, they could have some major Main Event stars, especially on the heel side of the coin.

One of the WWE's biggest problems IMO is that they spend 98% of their energy on the Main Event scene and the midcard goes mostly unnoticed with nothing but random matches and no really fleshed out feuds. Has Cesaro even had a real feud with anyone as the U.S. Champ? He has taken on Gabriel a couple of times and fought Santino after winning it, but his only "storyline" has been to insult the U.S. and then take on randomly selected opponent.

Not all storylines need to be cleverly written, or take half a year to play out, but having a beginning, middle, and end with a path that makes sense and isn't just swept under the rug because they decide to depush wrestler A and have wrestler B begin a new feud with wrestler C while A and B were supposed to be in a heated rivalry. These are the things that bug wrestling fans the most about the WWE's creative writing these days.

Let the lower card guys have random matches against one another as they build themselves into a character and get connected with the fans, but once they get into the midcard and start sniffing the IC and US titles, they need to have story and background. Not have their shows seem like 3/4 of their matches were created by drawing names out of a hat.

They have gotten into a really bad booking style for their PPV's where they build up to 3, maybe 4 matches then the rest of the card is thrown together the few days before or even several filler matches that were never announced. This is how TNA tends to book most of their PPV's, especially a few years ago. WWE is far better than this and they need to start showing it again.

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

Here's how I see it. Top guys get long storylines, and the storylines get progressively shorter and shorter as we move down the card. For example- Cena and Punk having a rivalry that has technically spanned a year +? Perfect. Tyson Kidd and Michael McGillicutty have a feud on NXT that goes about a month or two? Also fine. As long as it gives enough time for guys to show what they can do and get over because of it, it'll work.

As far as I'm concerned, WWE can do what they like, as long as it entertains me. I seem to be a rare breed among the internet wrestling fans: I don't participate in fantasy booking. If a big storyline starts or a big match is made, I won't dwell on it; I will just sit back and wait to see what happens. Just like I do when I watch a film or a TV series. That doesn't mean I never complain, but I if I don't like something, I complain after it happens. I don't usually complain about something that might happen but probably won't. Why bother?

I have no idea why pro-wrestling plots are subject to such rigorous analysis and set to such high standards in contrast to any other form of entertainment. Sure, sometimes it's fun to speculate, I get that, but making detailed predictions of how a story will pan out and discussing it endlessly isn't fun at all to me. I won't create an unrealistically perfect scenario and then complain when it doesn't happen. I won't enumerate all the possibilities and then argue about how they could hypothetically affect the future with respect to ticking all the smark-pro-wrestling-dream-scenario boxes. Ryback vs CM Punk is a perfect example, but I've already said all I want to say on that issue.

Getting back on topic, I prefer short-lived feuds to long storylines, purely because I dislike seeing the same two guys fight again and again in a short span of time. However, I do like long storylines that don't primarily revolve around wrestling matches (e.g. AJ's character development over the past year). WWE tends to do such storylines well.

If midcarders got better and longer feuds, some fans would care about some of them more instead of just treating them like secondhand Superstars. The only long running feud I can name right now in the midcard might be Dolph vs. Kofi. But I like feuds that end and start up again out of nowhere, like Rock/HHH always restarted every 3 years in a row, or like Cena/Punk for the second year in a row and probably will again next year or the year after.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post

I have no idea why pro-wrestling plots are subject to such rigorous analysis and set to such high standards in contrast to any other form of entertainment. Sure, sometimes it's fun to speculate, I get that, but making detailed predictions of how a story will pan out and discussing it endlessly isn't fun at all to me. I won't create an unrealistically perfect scenario and then complain when it doesn't happen. I won't enumerate all the possibilities and then argue about how they could hypothetically affect the future with respect to ticking all the smark-pro-wrestling-dream-scenario boxes. Ryback vs CM Punk is a perfect example, but I've already said all I want to say on that issue.
    I think the problem is that the storylines replace the fun of win loss records and instead of debating that its about the writers and stories for certain fans. I also think fans don't look at the big picture sometimes and don't let things play out. There should be a mixture of long and short feuds up and down the roster where it was warranted depending on the wrestlers. It's just choosing the right time to use which formula and with whom.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

I want variety in my product. There should always be a long, well-constructed, interesting, and constantly-evolving feud going on in the WWE Universe. At least one, preferably two or even three (since WWE has so many shows). The ideal would be the Michaels-Jericho storyline, which began as a Batista-Michaels feud and evolved well past that into one of the best feuds of the current wrestling era. Something that pushes the envelope, and can go for months without getting stale. These can involve top-name talents, or midcarders. After all, how better to get a midcarder over than to put them in an extended feud with someone important that shows the audience that this person is actually worthy of rising up the card?

Beyond that, WWE should create smaller, shorter storylines with a defined purpose that, when over, allows all involved to move on to something else--and, preferably, moves at least one of the participants (if not more) up the card in some fashion.

The problem with WWE, however, is that they think that programs (series of matches) and minor feuds (defined rivalries with little or no story component) are a replacement for actual storylines. This isn't the case: if you don't have storyline backing for most of your feuds and programs, the audience doesn't really have a reason to invest emotionally. While not every match can be part of a storyline, it is possible for WWE to do far more than it currently is in that department.

I'd like to think they've gotten better in that respect in recent years, but ... they still haven't really figured out how to write compelling storylines anymore except for the top talent. Even when they do try to incorporate story components to their midcard, they end up being bare-bones, inconsistent, and disinteresting.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the issue.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Thread Information