Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking the Undertakers Mania Streak - A PW Love Story starring John Cena *MERGED*

Banned

Default Breaking the Undertakers Mania Streak - A PW Love Story starring John Cena *MERGED*

I know we'll be getting it at WM30 (hopefully) but it would have been perfect for 29 and here is why, in my opinion.

I think as much as everyone loved seeing The Rock beat Cena at WM28 (at least I did), we can agree that it didn't make much sense. Maybe when it came to sending the Miami crowd home happy, but in the long run, it didn't make much sense to have a returning superstar beat your current top star. This could have been Cena's big 'immortal' moment, similar to Hogan beating Andre, Warrior and The Rock beating Hogan, Shawn Michaels winning the WWF Championship at WM12, the Austin Era beginning at WM14, etc.

On the other hand, Undertaker scored one of his most important victories ever, in one of his best matches ever, finally making it to 20-0 in the End Of An Era match. So, you have Cena and Undertaker as the winners of the double main event of WM28 - that would have been a nice set up for them to fight at WM29. Cena is happy over his biggest victory ever, and Undertaker realizes that there is only one big challenge left for him before retiring ('resting in peace') for good, and that's Cena. Thus, the build for their WM29 match.

Some people will make the argument (and there was a small little debate about this here 3-4 days ago) that because WM30 is another ten year anniversary kind of show, that it will feel more special there. But when you consider some of the biggest Wrestlemania matches of all time have happened at shows that weren't on a ten year anniversary date - Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Savage, Hogan/Warrior, Austin/Rock, Rock/Hogan, etc., then you realize it wouldn't have made a big difference if it had happened at 29. Plus, with Austin possibly returning to fight at WM30, and with his conditions being that he wants to be the main event match, that means Cena-Taker won't be the main event... Even though it deserves to be. We won't believe that Taker will possibly lose his streak unless it's the last match on the card, and it won't be at WM30 if Austin does indeed return. It kinda takes some of the intensity out of it, not knowing whether or not Cena really will break the streak.

I don't want to be mistaken, I love to see Rock return and face Punk and then compete again at Wrestlemania, I'm just bringing up a hypothetical scenario that I would have preferred more.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: Cena/Undertaker Would Have Been Perfect For Wrestlemania 29

I agree 100 percent with every part of this.

The fact that they're putting off a match that absolutely needs to happen, for yet another year, while Undertaker's health continues to deteriorate, is fucking stupid.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

Rock beating Cena made sense to me. I like Rock and hate Cena. What doesn't make sense about that?

Senior Member HunterSniderBrand's Avatar

Taker isn't going to lose his streak. But, you would NEED a Cena win (AND a heel turn) as well. I posted this scenario a few days back in a thread that I started, but, when they DO fight, I would have John Cena show NO fear at all against Taker. Asking him, "What's more important? Your Streak or your career? If you beat me, you have to retire." Of course, after a grueling match up, Taker ends up beating Cena. Keeping his streak, and being able to retire. After the match, the two superstars are standing in the middle of the ring, and the locker room empties out on the ramp to show respect for the Deadman. Taker sticks out his hand, Cena shakes it, then pulls him up for an Attitude Adjustment. Cena beats Taker down to where he can't even stand up. Cena turns Heel, Taker keeps his streak and retires, and That goes down as THE most shocking heel turn in the history or Pro Wrestling. Yes, even bigger then Hogan in WCW.
    Credit to RT for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Clawz View Post
    Rock beating Cena made sense to me. I like Rock and hate Cena. What doesn't make sense about that?
    And obviously you're not the only person who feels that way, but it's having residual effects now by fucking up current storylines and storylines to come, all because WWE now has to get Cena a win over Rock at all costs. When they could have just done it the first time.

For example, had Cena beaten Rock, Ryback could have won the championship at Hell in a Cell, instantly creating a new star. Or better yet, CM Punk might still be a face, and we'd still have a legitimate alternative to Cena.

HAYZE

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

I see what you're saying but I also see their reasoning for putting it off.

It's probably the last big dream match they have left and they want to save it for the 30th, which may be in Madison Square Garden. I think we all know that Taker's last match ever will be against Cena and I think he also wants to wrestle his final match at WrestleMania 30. They could have him wrestle Cena at 29, but then Taker might want to go another year and then they will have to find a different opponent for his last match.

I do see what you're saying but for me it makes even more sense to have it at WrestleMania 30.

WrestleMania 30
    Madison Square Garden
    The Streak vs. John Cena's career
    The Undertaker vs. John Cena

Cena ends the streak and Madison Square Garden is in shock, then we see the Undertaker's spirit rise out of the top of Madison Square Garden similar to Royal Rumble 1994 as his career ends.

I know people are worried about The Undertaker's health, but he wrestles one match a year and I'm sure despite whatever condition he is in he will pull out all the stops for his final match, it will be amazing whether it happens at this year WrestleMania or WrestleMania 30.

In my opinion, when this match happens it will be the most emotional match in WWE history. Unlike anything we have ever seen before, and the only place this match should happen is at WrestleMania 30 in Madison Square Garden. That makes more sense to me.

30 should not be in Madison Square Garden under any circumstances. And this is coming from a guy who lives in New York and loves the Garden.

Having Mania in the same market two years in a row is a retarded idea. I don't care about tradition, times change. It's also tradition to have guardrails instead of barriers, but somehow we got past that one.

HAYZE

I still think Taker should keep the streak though... I mean, does John Cena REALLY need the streak? He's already larger than life... ending the streak won't help him or hurt him..

The streak doesn't have to be about building a new star, it would have done wonders for an up and comer but it didn't have to be about that.

How about just creating a massive moment in wrestling history? In my opinion, Cena ending the streak and turning heel in the process would be one of the biggest moments in entertainment history, not even just wrestling history. I don't care what anyone says. I think that moment would do more for the business than having some up and comer ending it.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterSniderBrand View Post
    I still think Taker should keep the streak though... I mean, does John Cena REALLY need the streak? He's already larger than life... ending the streak won't help him or hurt him..
    You say that, and you have a Hollywood Hogan banner in your signature. Think about that one for a second, and you'll see why it would be perfect for him.

And the whole "giving the young guy the rub" thing doesn't exist.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    The streak doesn't have to be about building a new star, it would have done wonders for an up and comer but it didn't have to be about that.

How about just creating a massive moment in wrestling history? In my opinion, Cena ending the streak and turning heel in the process would be one of the biggest moments in entertainment history, not even just wrestling history. I don't care what anyone says. I think that moment would do more for the business than having some up and comer ending it.
    Yeah. The idea of an up and comer ending the streak should be long out the window at this point. It's gotten too big, to the point where if a young guy ends it and then his career fails, it will forever be a massive black mark on wrestling history.

Cena ending it is a better idea, but then again, he's getting up there in age himself and has accrued a lot of injuries. If they did it next year, he might still be able to get some mileage out of the heel run, but 30 might be too late.

To be honest, they're probably best off just letting the dude retire with it at this point. Not everything needs to end in a rub, and there are plenty of other ways to build guys up.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    And obviously you're not the only person who feels that way, but it's having residual effects now by fucking up current storylines and storylines to come, all because WWE now has to get Cena a win over Rock at all costs. When they could have just done it the first time.

For example, had Cena beaten Rock, Ryback could have won the championship at Hell in a Cell, instantly creating a new star. Or better yet, CM Punk might still be a face, and we'd still have a legitimate alternative to Cena.
    Cena wouldn't have had to defeat Brock in their first encounter and we wouldn't be stuck with HHH/Lesnar.

God damn I hate that finish.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Yeah. The idea of an up and comer ending the streak should be long out the window at this point. It's gotten too big, to the point where if a young guy ends it and then his career fails, it will forever be a massive black mark on wrestling history.

Cena ending it is a better idea, but then again, he's getting up there in age himself and has accrued a lot of injuries. If they did it next year, he might still be able to get some mileage out of the heel run, but 30 might be too late.

To be honest, they're probably best off just letting the dude retire with it at this point. Not everything needs to end in a rub, and there are plenty of other ways to build guys up.
    Part of me thinks they should just leave it and have him retire with the streak, but then another part of me really wants to see that moment the streak ends. For me it would feel as though the world had stopped for a moment, that's how big it has gotten for me. I don't mind what they do at this point, but I will still tune in every year and be drawn in as usual.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

'Taker should never lose his streak, EVER. This to me is basically more important than anything else I can think of and ending it in any way would be the worst decision the company has ever made.

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

I see that I have a Hogan banner, but I don't see what that has to do with ending the streak. Unless you're referring to Hogans mega heel turn because of it.

But as I pointed out in my post, Cena could turn heel and Taker still keep his streak. I do agree that if its ever ended, Cena will be the man to do it. But other than a heel turn (which could be done a different way), I still don't believe Cena needs the streak. The ONLY way I would be 100% okay with the streak ending is if Ryback would have ended it. But, since he is no longer undefeated, and is no where near on the level Cena is on, that'll def never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryFan View Post
    'Taker should never lose his streak, EVER. This to me is basically more important than anything else I can think of and ending it in any way would be the worst decision the company has ever made.
    Personally I think it's a big missed opportunity if they don't end it. They'd be missing out on one of the biggest moments ever, this thing has been built up and built up for years, just to have him retire with it and for it all to be forgotten about?

The streak is only important while Taker is active, it is only important because it is the biggest part of WrestleMania these days. When Taker retires, the streak is no longer important because it will not continue. The Undertaker doesn't need to retire undefeated at WrestleMania to cement his legacy, the fact this streak existed and he was the one who created it is what will be remembered and what will be respected.

It won't cement cena's legacy if he beats the streak either..

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.D View Post
    Personally I think it's a big missed opportunity if they don't end it. They'd be missing out on one of the biggest moments ever, this thing has been built up and built up for years, just to have him retire with it and for it all to be forgotten about?

The streak is only important while Taker is active, it is only important because it is the biggest part of WrestleMania these days. When Taker retires, the streak is no longer important because it will not continue. The Undertaker doesn't need to retire undefeated at WrestleMania to cement his legacy, the fact this streak existed and he was the one who created it is what will be remembered and what will be respected.

EXACTLY!

Streaks are meant to be broken. It's not like anyone will ever match it. It'll still be a record. But it MUST end some day. Despite how injured he is, Taker (character and man I suppose) is too proud to just retire with an open chapter in his career and legacy. As long as the streak continues he MUST come back year after year to defend it, to test wrestler after wrestler to see who can truly topple The Phenom.

Cena vs. Taker could still happen this year. Dolph says he's cashing in the following week when Rock comes back. Rock returns to RAW in Jan '13, confronts Punk, thinking he'll face him at the Rumble. They get into a brawl leaving Punk exhausted. World Heavyweight Champion comes out because Dolph said he's cashing-in; Punk's still yet to get up. Dolph runs out and instead of going for Show, he pins Punk because Vickie as boss allows him to choose which title he wants instead. Before Rock can come out, Dolph is Champion. During Punk's rematch on RAW, Rock interferes. At Rumble Punk costs Rock the title thus making the match for WrestleMania. Ryback wins the Rumble and challenges Ziggler for the title - first time in years that both champion and challenger are main event novices. The strong non-title matches can make up for the lack of established star power in the WWE Title match. Hunter and Brock set up their rematch easily. Miz (or Orton if he's still on WWE's push list) can win a Chamber to challenge Sheamus who by this time is World Champion again. As for how Cena vs. Undertaker is set up, Cena says that for the past few years he's seen two men that he's beaten in the main event of WrestleMania before both challenge Taker and lose in the defining matches of their respective careers. He says last year he thought his match with Rock would be his defining match, but he lost. He says he's won both titles at WrestleMania, and while he loves being The Champ, after 12 reigns he needs to step back and let a new generation establish themselves before challenging for the title again. He basically says he wants to become what Undertaker has become, almost beyond the title (but not actually saying that as not to bury the title). And the only way of doing that is to end the streak.

JOHN CENA vs. UNDERTAKER

World Heavyweight Championship Match
    SHEAMUS vs. THE MIZ

CM PUNK vs. THE ROCK

WWE Championship Match
    DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. RYBACK

TRIPLE H vs. BROCK LESNAR

Divas Championship Match
    EVE TORRES vs. AJ LEE

SIN CARA vs. REY MYSTERIO

Intercontinental Championship Match
    KOFI KINGSTON vs. DAMIEN SANDOW

Money in the Bank Ladder Match
    RAND ORTON vs. CODY RHODES vs. KANE vs. WADE BARRETT vs.
    THE BIG SHOW vs. DANIEL BRYAN vs. ALBERTO DEL RIO vs. CHRISTIAN

+ A Pre-Show WWE Tag Team Championship Match or a Battle Royal.
    Last edited by Stefan; 10-31-2012 at 10:06 AM.

I'd love to know your thinking behind this....

And HunterSniderBrand, exactly what would could John Cena do at this point to get the people that love him to hate him without getting the people that already hate him to start cheering for him?

Those people that dislike him so much often times, want him to be a heel. So break them. Take something away from them.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

Sheamus vs Miz? Yikes :S

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

It won't cement cena's legacy if he beats the streak either..
    I never said it would, but it certainly would be a massive moment....and I want to see it.

Nothing will change between 29 & 30 as far as Cena and Taker go. People just wanna see it at 29 cuz they are tired of waiting. Waiting one more year won't kill you. They should save one of the biggest matches left for the anniversary. I would.

Sheamus vs Miz? Yikes :S
    I know, that's why I said or Orton. But given the strength of the other matches, they could take the chance.

And don't be so sure that Cena beating Taker won't solidify his legacy. Especially if he switches to a reduced schedule afterwards like Taker has since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    I'd love to know your thinking behind this....

And HunterSniderBrand, exactly what would could John Cena do at this point to get the people that love him to hate him without getting the people that already hate him to start cheering for him?

Those people that dislike him so much often times, want him to be a heel. So break them. Take something away from them.

Leave taker lying unconscious in a pool of blood in the center of the ring at Mania AFTER losing to him.

Leave taker lying unconscious in a pool of blood in the center of the ring at Mania AFTER losing to him.
    What does that really do for anyone? Extend a feud where one guy will only be doing one match a year?

I get that some people don't want to accept the finality of the streak ending....but that's exactly why it needs to happen.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

Thread Information