Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Hell In a Cell Really That Bad?

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Default Was Hell In a Cell Really That Bad?

I've been hearing a lot about how terrible the ppv was, but as somebody in attendance, I felt the show was quite alright. There were a few mishaps and a semi-conscious crowd during the Divas and US Title matches, but did it really come off that terrible on tv?

Maybe I'm biased because I got free seat upgrades.. but, who knows?

Any views on why or why not this pay-per-view was worth the money?
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Default Re: Was Hell In a Cell Really That Bad?

For over 60 bucks, no pay per view they have put on in years is worth it. If it was still 30 bucks, I could name a few, but not this one. I watched it free early this morning, it wasn't too bad. Sheamus/Show was good and the HITC match was okay and had a great, unexpected ending. Miz/Kofi and Cesaro/Gabe was also pretty good. The tag matches as well. Didn't care about the Divas. Overall, I give it 6/10.

I really enjoyed Sheamus/Show (it honestly surprised the hell out of me.. no pun intended.) and everyone seemed pretty surprised by the Punk/Ryback ending. I wish it could have gone on a bit longer, but damn I was marking out hard when they got on top of the Cell.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

It's Clobberin' Time Summer of Punk's Avatar

I hated it. Del Rio vs. Orton was the only really good match in my opinion.

Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig.

and for paying $30 for shit seats to get placed in the VIP section of the tv side for free, I'd say the show was pretty worth it.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Quote Originally Posted by Summer of Punk View Post
    I actually had Orton and Del Rio in my top 3 overrated list in a recent thread, but that match was pretty damn good live. Maybe they've persuaded me otherwise.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Diva of Destruction iron maiden's Avatar

It was probably the worst PPV as of late. Defintely not worth the money IMO but not the worst ever. I loved that we had tag team action kicking the night off and again later on but most of the matches were RAW worthy not $60 PPV worthy. That being said there were some solid matches and I thought Big Show and Sheamus was amazing. The main event was what it was.

I'm not a Ryback fan but it ended the way it had to in my eyes. If they'd given Ryback the strap I would have had a meltdown. Just proof you can't please everyone as I know there's many people here who wished they would have.

I was pretty certain the crowd was sleeping for most of it and when you don't have a good crowd it can really affect the overall performance as well.

Sting
    Diva of Destruction
    Empress of Canadia
    2010 Queen of the Forum
    2012 Tag Team Queen of the Forum - Rogue and iron maiden
    2013 PW Hall of Fame (Thank You)

I really enjoyed the show. Del Rio and Orton had one of the best endings. Rhodes Scholars vs. Hell No was decent enough. Both midcard title matches were entertaining. PTP vs. Rey/Cara was awesome (the little things made the difference). Sheamus and Big Show stole the show. Diva's match was possibly my favorite diva match this year. and in the main event, Punk won.

I go to a sports bar, so all you really hear is the announcers and the people at the bar. So we couldn't hear the shitty crowd, but made up for it there.
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I really enjoyed the show. Del Rio and Orton had one of the best endings. Rhodes Scholars vs. Hell No was decent enough. Both midcard title matches were entertaining. PTP vs. Rey/Cara was awesome (the little things made the difference). Sheamus and Big Show stole the show. Diva's match was possibly my favorite diva match this year. and in the main event, Punk won.

I go to a sports bar, so all you really hear is the announcers and the people at the bar. So we couldn't hear the shitty crowd, but made up for it there.
    The crowd was only really dead during Cesaro/Gabriel (which I found rather entertaining, actually.) and the Divas match.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

I didn't think it was terrible, but as far as PPVs go it was below average. Not a single great match on the card, a few very good matches and the rest were average-bad.

Orton vs Del Rio was great. Probably my second favourite Del Rio match behind one of his PPV matches with Sheamus. Even though it was a typical Del-Rio-works-the-arm match, it wasn't as tiresome as the usual Del Rio match. It moved fairly quickly, flowed well, had a hilarious botch and an excellent finish. They found a way to make the OMG-RKO-OUT-OF-NOWHERE unexpected, which is a rarity these days.

The tag title match did nothing to counter my complete apathy/boredom towards the WWE tag team match formula. Neither did Luchadors vs PTP.

Miz vs Kofi was very good with a brilliant finishing sequence. Great leg work by Miz. The best match of their series but I still wouldn't call it "great".

Cesaro vs Gabriel: unremarkable.

Big Show vs Sheamus: I notice a lot of praise for this match in the party thread, but I thought it was pretty boring as expected. It's a step above the average Big Show dullfest. However, after both guys kicked out of each other's finishers I entered that rare state of mind where I don't have the faintest idea where a WWE match is going. Two seconds later, after a long, hard-hitting match, Sheamus runs at Big Show, Show sticks out his fist and new World Heavyweight Champion. I hate the knockout punch so much. Hate it. And I have to change my damn signature thanks to that finishing move

Divas match: unremarkable.

CM Punk vs Ryback: Just tops Orton vs Del Rio for MOTN. Simple story executed extremely well: Ryback's power and general invincibility vs CM Punk's quickness. Even though Ryback has been untouchable and has pretty much no-sold all offense done to him before this match, Ryback took damage in this match, he sold it, and it was believable. Ryback running into the steel steps was a great spot. Genius finish too; never saw it coming. Like the audience, I popped huge when Punk climbed the cell. Terrific way to close the PPV.

Overall, average PPV but it certainly delivered on the match finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer of Punk View Post
    I didn't even watch that match, those guys are so damn boring.

I thought for a free PPV it was good.

Orton Vs Del rio, they both worked a a great match, but for some reason I just can't stand Del Rio. Great finnish

Tag match was average but still enjoyed it.

Both midcard titles were gd but didn't really get into them as i'm not a big fan of Kofi & Cesaro.

The world title match was match of the night, great ring phycilogy by both men, can't wait for their next match.

Ryback Vs Punk, yea it was a good match but it won't be up their in my top ten cell matches.

Overall was okay PPV, but the filler matches annoy me.

Thanks To Hayze

Diva of Destruction iron maiden's Avatar

If it was free for us here I wouldn't be bitching but $60 for that was a bit steep. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it but if I had...

Sting
    Diva of Destruction
    Empress of Canadia
    2010 Queen of the Forum
    2012 Tag Team Queen of the Forum - Rogue and iron maiden
    2013 PW Hall of Fame (Thank You)

And, there was only 1 HITC match.....

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    And, there was only 1 HITC match.....
    And the thing is, I figured they cancelled the HITC for Sheamus/Show so it would be easier for Ziggler, but since there was no cash-in, they could have used the cell in that match. But I guess they wanted the HITC match between Punk/Ryback to be more effective so just figured giving us only one was a good idea.

I thought the PPV was good. Nothing can ever be done to make a PPV worth 60 bucks. I dont give a shit if its boxing, ufc, or wwe. A PPV will never be worth 60 bucks.

Oh, there were a few in the Attitude Era that I probably would have paid 60 bucks for. WM 17, Backlash '00, and maybe a couple others. But only the very best ppvs ever.

$60? They're only $35 here..
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

It wasn't a good PPV overall, but it wasn't the worst of the year. No Way Out takes that title. I think the main reason is because John Cena was injured so out of all the people on the roster they could've replaced him with, they picked "rookie" Ryback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Hart, 1992
    I dedicate this moment to anyone who still believes the biggest dreams can still come true.
    R.I.P. The Wrestlemania Streak
    March 24, 1991 - April 6, 2014

It was a perfectly decent show.

WWE's habit of adding 17 filler matches to the show last minute is starting to seriously piss me off.

That was honestly my main complaint about it. Most of the previously announced matches were good.

HAYZE

Banned
    It doesn't matter where I am. What matters is my plan.

I thought it was all right. I agree with the sentiment that filler matches are bullshit.

I wanted Sheamus vs Show in the cell.

Thank you HAYZE!

Had it been Sheamus Vs. Del Rio one more time, HIAC would've been the best way to end the feud. Since it was the first match for Sheamus and Show, the stipulation wouldn't have been appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Hart, 1992
    I dedicate this moment to anyone who still believes the biggest dreams can still come true.
    R.I.P. The Wrestlemania Streak
    March 24, 1991 - April 6, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 4ever_Oldschool View Post
    Had it been Sheamus Vs. Del Rio one more time, HIAC would've been the best way to end the feud. Since it was the first match for Sheamus and Show, the stipulation wouldn't have been appropriate.
    They should have booked Sheamus vs. Del Rio then.

I hate the idea of HIAC becoming nothing more than a gimmick to sell pay-per-views, rather than a blow off to a long feud.

HAYZE

Had they put Sheamus/Show in a cell, it would have ruined it. That match was a pure, good old fashioned brawl, and if they were in the cell they would be obligated to use it, and thus would have taken away from what was easily (EASILY) match of the night.

Del Rio/Orton was a snoozefest (except for the final RKO spot, that was bad ass), and since I've pretended the divas division hasn't existed since Trish/Lita, I was happy with the PPV overall. I would never spend $60 on a WWE PPV either, for the record.

The RTruth
    RT hates moving.

Thread Information