Thread: Does anyone think the notion of Punk being hated/held down by the WWE is exaggerated?

Banned

Default Does anyone think the notion of Punk being hated/held down by the WWE is exaggerated?

I hear that in the new Punk documentary Punk says that he was held down by WWE higher ups. I don't really buy too much into that. Yeah, he's clearly not Vince McMahon's ideal guy, but if he was so hated would he have gotten as many opportunities as he has received and allowed to rise as high as he has? Yes, I know Punk is a pretty exceptional talent, but there are many men of talent that have been either buried or just kept in limbo. I'm sure Punk's path wasn't as easy as a Batista or a Lesnar, but it seems that he truly has little to complain about.

Default Re: Does anyone think the notion of Punk being hated/held down by the WWE is exaggera

Being held down? He's been champ almost an entire year, and since his heel turn every show revolves around him.

Yup. He's being held down.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Also, I want to make it known that I am a proud Icecube.
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'm an Ice Cube.

Banned

Default Re: Does anyone think the notion of Punk being hated/held down by the WWE is exaggera

That's my point. I don't see it. Sure, he may have been underestimated by guys like Triple H, but clearly he was allowed to flourish.

Punk is the new HHH. He doesn't care about anything but his ego and his position in the company. He doesn't care about the wrestling business. That's why he buried Del Rio, Miz and tried to bury Cena.
    Bryan Alvarez on December 4 , 2006 : "CM Punk is NOT the best wrestler in the whole world"

Quote Originally Posted by cablegeddon View Post
    Punk is the new HHH. He doesn't care about anything but his ego and his position in the company. He doesn't care about the wrestling business. That's why he buried Del Rio, Miz and tried to bury Cena.
    how did he try to hold cena down?

What do you mean hold down?
    Bryan Alvarez on December 4 , 2006 : "CM Punk is NOT the best wrestler in the whole world"

Punk said Cena was a failed bodybuilder who never was into wrestling and things like that.

In the doc, was he talking about the years he spent on ECW & Smackdown? Or was he talking about the last 2 years? Cuz there's a big difference between them. His point, I think, would be that it was a mix of three things. He came in with this massive buzz behind him and that wasn't taken advantage of and was stuck on the 'C' show instead of immediately being put on RAW. He may have been told, like Miz was (from his promo when he debuted his magazine cover), that they just didn't have anything for him. He may have been told to either tone down his abilities both on the mic and in the ring or, like Jericho in WCW, he was essentially told to not get over and to fit in with their plans.

Punk has been one of the worst booked Superstars in history.

- had his 6 months unfeated streak ended by Bob Holly

- was the first guy eliminated in WWECW's Elimination Chamber

- lost three straight PPV matches to John Morrison and only won the ECW title because his opponent failed a drug test

- lost the ECW Title to Chavo Guerrero

- Only won MITB the first time because Jeff Hardy failed a drug test

- wasn't allowed to go over Batista in a match during his reign as champion

- lost the World Heavyweight Title because he supposedly disrepected The Undertaker, but the fact Punk wasn't even able to defend his title in the Scramble Match was absolute bullshit.

- lost to Umaga in his hometown of Chicago on PPV

- was turned heel instead of drug addict Jeff Hardy

- His second title reign was ended because WWE wanted Jeff Hardy to stick around, which failed.

- lost the title to an injured Undertaker instead of being given the rub.

- got his head shaved bald

- lost FOURTEEN PPVs in a row!

- The Straight Edge Society and The New Nexus both ended prematurely

- was denied headlining WM 27 out of favor for The Miz

- still has to defeat Randy Orton, the man responsible for him being stripped of his belt

- was forced to play politics by threatening to leave the company if he wasn't booked better. Completely justified actions. Sadly, only got the title because of his ultimatum.

- as soon as he comes back, drops the title to Alberto Del Rio.

- Kevin Nash refused to job / work with him. Still has yet to do so.

- Triple H still has yet to return the job to him.

- has been overshadowed by John Cena since February 2012.
    And that my friends is the sad story of CM Punk.
    It's showtime, folks!

Punk was held down a little by higher ups in the company such as Vince and HHH. Luckily he had a couple who had his back like HBK and Regal.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ever_Oldschool View Post
    Punk has been one of the worst booked Superstars in history.
    You can take any wrestler's career, list all the negatives and none of the positives, and say exactly the same thing. Doesn't make it true

It is.

Punk was practically the star of 'new' ECW for it's first two years. The only time he was ever punished was right after Heyman initially left and then he was made the forefront of the brand's biggest angle.

And it wasn't like he was a big fish in a small pond that was forgotten about either. He was receiving rubs from DX and being booked strong in every Money in the Bank match he took part in.

Now, there have been some shady moments but he's been booked pretty fairly for the majority IMO.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

-Unless he is wrestling John Cena, Punk doesn't get to main event PPVs.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

You can take any wrestler's career, list all the negatives and none of the positives, and say exactly the same thing. Doesn't make it true
    Given the list, it answers the OP's question that Punk being held down is NOT exaggerated. Hence why I wouldn't have blamed Punk if he took his ball and went home especially after jobbing so much on PPVs, that was ridiculous!
    It's showtime, folks!

Thread Information