Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Rock Vs. Cena surpass Rock Vs. Hogan?

Default Did Rock Vs. Cena surpass Rock Vs. Hogan?

For the most part, I would say yes. Once In A Lifetime had more time (a year's worth of build-up), social media to work with, a bigger buyrate for its WM, and has its own DVD/BR feature.

As for the match itself being better than Icon Vs. Icon, I'll leave that to you guys to debate on.
    It's showtime, folks!

Default Re: Did Rock Vs. Cena surpass Rock Vs. Hogan?

Rock/Cena drew more

NO!!!!!!! Hogan is alot higher on the list than Cena of biggest Stars in the history of the industry.

Sure he is. However the Hulk Hogan in TNA isn't a bigger star then John Cena. And Rock/Cena still drew more then Hogan/Rock

Did it draw more? Yes. Was the match better? Yes. Was it more epic? No.

Problem with Rock vs. Hogan was that is was rushed; it wasn't the main event; and people were still tired from the end of WCW and the Invasion to appreciate how historic it was.

Quote Originally Posted by The Industry View Post
    Sure he is. However the Hulk Hogan in TNA isn't a bigger star then John Cena. And Rock/Cena still drew more then Hogan/Rock
    This is 100% right. But, the wrestling absolutely sucked in this match. If they know what's best for them, they won't put these guys against each other again.

I wasn't a fan of either match far as in ring work go. I thought Cena worked hard against Rock, but that is about it

It may have drew more but What Match Got the biggest POPS out of the Audience?

I wasn't a fan of either match far as in ring work go. I thought Cena worked hard against Rock, but that is about it
    Sure he worked hard but what use is it if both guys don't give 100%? That's why HBK and Bret Hart used to blow the roof off arenas because they both gave 100%. A modern day example would be Punk vs Bryan or Punk vs Cena.

Did it draw more, probably it had a years worth of preparation and wrestling was in a downturn in 2002.

In terms of historical significance, I don't think it did, people can still close their eyes and see the famous Hogan/Rock staredown, it is an image burned into the minds of every wrestling fan in the world, I don't think Rock/Cena produced that "moment"

4 Reasons why Rock vs Hogan was better than Rock vs Cena.

1: The fans were nowhere near as annoying as they were during all the Rock vs Cena debates.

2: The overall match was just better.

3: The right person won Rock vs Hogan.

4: They didn't have to randomly turn Steve Austin a few months later just so Hogan could beat Rock at Wrestlemania XIX.
    baboosh

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    4 Reasons why Rock vs Hogan was better than Rock vs Cena.

1: The fans were nowhere near as annoying as they were during all the Rock vs Cena debates.

2: The overall match was just better.

3: The right person won Rock vs Hogan.

4: They didn't have to randomly turn Steve Austin a few months later just so Hogan could beat Rock at Wrestlemania XIX.
    This.

But in terms of success, it has to go to Rock vs Cena because of the buyrate.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

I thought Punk was the big summer angle that had already planned.

Depends on how you look at it...

Rock vs Hogan had more of that "epic" feeling. The same way Austin vs Hogan would have.

Rock vs Cena was good. Good build up. Good match. Good mania. Good buyrate. Good draw. Etc. But isn't that a result of even larger arenas, better promotions, etc for Wrestlemanias today?

Banned

To me Hogan/Rock is far more epic. The buzz and atmosphere was incredible. And one very important distinction:

The staredown.

The Hogan/Rock staredown at the start of the match was freaking EPIC. The Rock/Cena staredown? Botched because Cena kept smirking. I'm not a Cena hater and think he gave a tremendous showing in the match, but boy did he douche it up during the staredown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    To me Hogan/Rock is far more epic. The buzz and atmosphere was incredible. And one very important distinction:

The staredown.

The Hogan/Rock staredown at the start of the match was freaking EPIC. The Rock/Cena staredown? Botched because Cena kept smirking. I'm not a Cena hater and think he gave a tremendous showing in the match, but boy did he douche it up during the staredown.
    Well I think The Rock/Hogan staredown set the tone for those big match staredowns to follow...it was more on the unique side at the time..now everything else follows

Cena/Rock I think had a better work ethic and match, better build up, better story, better everything on paper...but overall, what's not on paper...Cena isn't what Hogan was to the business....The Rock was what Cena is now, but seemingly from a better and more popular era...Rock/Hogan was more epic...there hadn't been much of anything in the way of Icon vs Icon, New vs Old, Top Star vs Top Legend, etc

Austin vs Hogan is the only thing that could have ever surpassed it as Austin led in the Attitude era in which The Rock adjusted to and became just about equal

Even though Hogan and Rock did end up having a rematch, Hogan/Rock felt like a one time thing. With Cena and Rock I think it felt, and still does feel like their feud isn't over. I think that took away from the epicness of Cena/Rock a bit. Plus I love the crowd in Hogan/Rock, just electric and it was one of those matches that defines Wrestlemania.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

That NWO match was better for my money. I loved Rock, Hogan, and Grenier fucking with Hogan. McMahon doing the Hogan pose with a Hogan shirt that says "What you going to do...Nothing!"

That NWO match was better for my money. I loved Rock, Hogan, and Grenier fucking with Hogan. McMahon doing the Hogan pose with a Hogan shirt that says "What you going to do...Nothing!"
    Yeah, fair enough. Even Hogan pinning the Rock on RAW after the leg drop was interesting. I think the Rock and Hogan had very good chemistry together.

Rock/Hogan is ten times more relevant and thats what really matters. No one is gonna really give a shit about the buyrate years from now.

So no, Rock/Cena did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Codebreaker82 View Post
    Rock/Hogan is ten times more relevant and thats what really matters. No one is gonna really give a shit about the buyrate years from now.

Tell that to all the people who talk buyrates on a daily basis.

Banned

I thought Rock/Cena build up was a lot better than the Hogan/Rock build up. The only thing I didn't like about their feud was it didn't get real physical until the actual match. Rock/Hogan was ridiculous though, especially when nWo attacked Rock with a huge semi.

Agree with Steve, the Cena/Rock build up was better than Hogan/Rock which felt like it could have been for a run of the mill PPV rather than a Mania.

Rock/Cena had a full year and while it wasn't always great it certainly had it's moments and was better for mine.

As far as the match goes, Hogan/Rock was a bigger spectacle (in spite of WWE's efforts) and didn't have a crappy finish.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Codebreaker82 View Post

How is Hogan versus The Rock more relevant when the pay-per-view buys say otherwise?

Just because Hogan versus The Rock was more relevant to you, does not mean it was more relevant to everybody else.

Some people seem to be making this argument that Rock/Hulk was more relevant because they personally think it was more relevant.

There are millions of fans who paid to see their hero John Cena go against The Rock. To lots of them that match is more relevant.

There is no definitive way of knowing what match was more relevant, because it depends on who you ask.

The only thing that argues that Cena/Rock was more relevant is the fact that more people paid to see it.

But I know some of you get all upset anytime someone talks about pay-per-view buys or drawing power, so all stop.

I liked Hulk vs. Rock better by the way.

Thanks Bender this awesome AV and banner!

Regarding the build up, I am not sure the Rock/Cena build up surpassed the Rock/Hogan build up. Many, including posters on this site, called the original Rock Bottom on Cena one of the most anti-climactic moments in pro wrestling history. Maybe it was due in part to the Cena/Miz match being a bit of a stinker. On the other side, you have a HEEL Hulk Hogan returning to the WWE including the NWO. Hogan and Rock were physical with each other too as Hogan pinned the Rock after a classic Hogan leg drop. I would say that at least the builds were on par with each other.

Thread Information