Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the 30th WrestleMania Return to Madison Square Garden?

Default Will the 30th WrestleMania Return to Madison Square Garden?

With MetLife Stadium being announced as the home of the 29th edition of WrestleMania, the New York City metropolitan area will host the biggest WWE event of the year for a record fourth time.

But with next yearís event coming to East Rutherford, will the WWE continue holding WrestleMania every 10 years at Madison Square Garden or break tradition and move to another venue?

From ProWrestling.com:

Regarding WrestleMania 29 being held in the New York area and how it affects WrestleMania 30, a WWE source indicates that WWE officials weren't even considering the location for WrestleMania 30 yet.

WrestleMania 29 was decided on based on the bid that WWE received from the State of New Jersey. Nothing is official for WrestleMania 30 yet and there's no word if it will be held in New York City to keep with tradition.

Even though the last seven WrestleMania events have been in football stadiums, the WWE should bring their premier show of the year to Madison Square Garden in 2013 to continue the tradition set in 1994 and 2004.

While I completely understand if the company takes WrestleMania to a new stadium like Cowboys Stadium or Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, the intimacy and mystique of Madison Square Garden canít be topped by any new massive stadium in the United States.

With a new capacity of 22,000 for professional wrestling after an $850 million renovation of MSG, the venue has been arguably the best in the history of the WWE as multiple generations of McMahons have promoted events there over the years.

Whether a return to Madison Square Garden is in the works, the 2013 WrestleMania will be a spectacle to watch as the biggest event for the WWE and professional wrestling celebrates its 30th birthday in two years.

where do you think the WWE should hold the 30th anniversary of their biggest event, WrestleMania; Madison Square Garden or another location across the country?

SOURCE

Default Re: Will the 30th WrestleMania Return to Madison Square Garden?

No.

Having two Manias in a row in basically the same place would be dumb as fuck. I say that as a New York resident.

Just another instance where people need to let go of the past.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

I would like it to be in the Garden every 10th year, it's an awesome tradition and a nice thank you to the place where it all started. However, if they want to break tradition and do stadiums every year...then why not wait until Wrestlemania 30 to return to the New York area?

Traditions don't make money. Stadiums do.

Can't answer why they didn't want to wait until 30, though. Probably would have made more sense.

Although I was watching a Triple H interview where he said that Jersey made a very aggressive pitch for the event. I'm sure that played into it some.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

I really thought they'd do #30 at MSG but after 29 being announced for New Jersey, I'm not so sure now. I'm planning on going to WM 30 wherever it is, and I honestly thought and planned for NY for it but I think the garden is a little too small now for the vision WWE has for Mania.

I've been to each Mania since 24 in Orlando and I think 22,000 just isn't big enough for WWE and Vince. I wouldn't be surprised to see them going elsewhere for it, and perhaps Toronto? They haven't had a majpr PPV in Canada for a while.

Cheers Macho

Diva of Destruction

Spoiler

I was reading this trying to figure out for the life of me how it works that WrestleMania X and XX happened in 1994 and 2004, but WrestleMania XXX will be in 2013.

But it's just because it isn't, and it's 2014. We still have 2 WrestleMania's to go until then.

If they were going to break the MSG tradition and go to a stadium, I really wish they would of waited till WrestleMania 30 and gone to New York anyway. But I guess it is the way it is.

wouldnt shock me if they go to Metlife back to back years to start a new tradition of that being the place they come around every 10 years.

and hell it isnt like NJ hasnt hosted WM back to back years before (wm4, wm5).

not saying this will happen just that i wouldnt be suprised by it.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

The reason I think it won't be there...

"Wrestlemania NY/NJ"

It's all in New Jersey in 2013, but they bill it like New York is involved. If they left it as Wrestlemania NJ, then yeah. But they're playing this off as a New York Wrestlemania. I'm going to guess Indianapolis, Toronto or Vancouver for Wrestlemania 30.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by JACKNIFE View Post
    wouldnt shock me if they go to Metlife back to back years to start a new tradition of that being the place they come around every 10 years.

and hell it isnt like NJ hasnt hosted WM back to back years before (wm4, wm5).

not saying this will happen just that i wouldnt be suprised by it.
    I'd say WWE's financial strategies have changed just a little bit in the 23 years since then.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post
    The reason I think it won't be there...

"Wrestlemania NY/NJ"

It's all in New Jersey in 2013, but they bill it like New York is involved. If they left it as Wrestlemania NJ, then yeah. But they're playing this off as a New York Wrestlemania. I'm going to guess Indianapolis, Toronto or Vancouver for Wrestlemania 30.
    well their not doing anything the Jets or Giants dont
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

This is true, still love to poke my friend with the jab of the only NFL team from his state being the Buffalo Bills .

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

Former 2-time TNA Tag Team Champion and 3-time TNA X-Division Champion
    2010 PW Healthiest Poster....2010 NCAA Poster of the Year

The Final Four in College Basketball was held in Houston I think last year or the year before can't remember. If the state of Texas wants to hold another Final Four they should put it in San Antonio or something. I think Cowboy Stadium, Dallas TX would've been the perfect location for WM30.

It still might go to MSG. It's just good business sense to not give out the idea its in NY for the anniversary again because there will be no doubt high bids from cities for the event will transpire in the next year.

I still think they should do XXX in either Toronto, Vancouver, or Pasadena. Or maybe even L.A., by way of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, or Farmers Field if it's done by then.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHai-VjnxA

"It will be bigger and better than the year before"- Paul Levesque, I hope he means that it will be bigger and better than ever; last years Wrestlemania was anti-climactic and should have been a lot better.

NY and NJ are very lucky if they get Wrestlemania for 2 years in a row.

If they were to go for NY (which they most likely won't) for Wrestlemania XXX, they should just hold it at Yankee Stadium. It doesn't hold as many people as Metlife or these other football stadiums, but they could still pack 50,000+ easily. That, on top of the fact that it's Yankee Stadium (even if it is the new one and not the historic old one), would be pretty big I'd think.

I love MSG as much as the next guy. Every event I've attended there has been pretty great in their owns ways (the last being Survivor Series in November). Yet, it just won't gross as much as the stadiums. Wrestlemania XX grossed $2.4 million in ticket sales for WWE. By comparison, last year's Wrestlemania from the Georgia Dome grossed $6.6 million in ticket sales.

Whatever the case, I don't see this area getting two in a row. I'd like to see Toronto get another. It will have been 12 years by that point. That's long enough for one of the best wrestling crowds we have.

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

At this point, the event is too much of a big deal. It's scope is enormous now. Tradition is great and if it didn't come at the cost of revenue, I'm sure Vince would do it. I love MSG, WWE loves MSG. But it's not a WrestleMania venue anymore.

Isn't MSG always at every ten Manias? I think both 10 and 20 were, so more than likely 30 will be too.

Time to make new traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Codebreaker82 View Post
    Isn't MSG always at every ten Manias? I think both 10 and 20 were, so more than likely 30 will be too.
    To date it has been, but that doesn't mean it will be that way forever.

Todd's post on the issue is spot on, as is TGO's.

Bender

I would hope WWE gives WM 30 to whichever the highest bidder is.

Why would you hope that?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Why would you hope that?
    Because it's fair. Being that it's the 30th Wrestlemania why not give it to the city that's wants it the most? If Toronto wants it more than New York so be it. If a city like Seattle wants to bring it back that's fine as well.

I guess that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I guess that's fair.
    It is. If WWE wasn't doing WM 29 in NY/NJ then I'd say WM 30 should go to MSG for obvious reasons. But this WM 30 isn't locally attached to anyone or any particular aspect of the WWE.

Thread Information