Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: US Campaign Trail 2012

Default Re: US Campaign Trail 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    And Rick Santorum is out.
    He should not be allowed to abort his campaign now.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    He should not be allowed to abort his campaign now.
    Why not?

Although, what is interesting is he still has not endorsed Romney. Gingrich and Paul are still in the race and I don't believe a single person who was or is running for the GOP nomination has endorsed Romney yet. That is a horrible sign for a political party in general when they all say "We are going to get on the same page to beat Obama and go with whoever the nominee is so we can win the presidency". Only to not do what they said. Gingrich says he is in until the RNC Convention which means he is banking on taking the delegates away in August and Paul is doing the same exact thing. So let me get this straight. We are to believe that the GOP nominee can beat Obama when the top candidates of the GOP don't even want to endorse him.

Look Obama is not a great president by any means but this should be the most one sided presidential race in quite a while. It won't be because there are those who refuse to vote for Obama but how can I, or anyone for that matter, believe in a candidate that truly does not have the full support of his own party and grassroots as a whole?

Why would having party support be a qualifier for being able to support a candidate? There was a good 40% of the Democratic Party that refused during the primaries to get behind President Obama in 2008, he even lost a number of states down the stretch. That was no reason for me not to believe in him. People should pick their own candidate that is most in line with their views and their idea of what they want in a president. I'm not sure why they should have less belief in that candidate just because during the primary other participants are drawing support away from the candidate that you support.

I'm obviously not a Romney person (and believing in him seems like it'd be difficult with all the changes in stance *obligatory Democratic dig*), but I'm sure there are people that really like the idea of Romney as the candidate and those people shouldn't really be swayed from that position because there are people that disagree with them.

And we're a long way away from knowing how the campaign will work out, but I don't see it being that one-sided.

Buttmunch in training. The Hindusault's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Jeff View Post
    Why not?

Although, what is interesting is he still has not endorsed Romney. Gingrich and Paul are still in the race and I don't believe a single person who was or is running for the GOP nomination has endorsed Romney yet.
    Huntsman has endorsed Romney. And Pawlenty, although he dropped out before the competition really began.

Also, I'm not so sure Obama might not actually turn out to be considered a pretty great president at some point in the future. If he is reelected, which seems likely but not certain, the economy turns around and he gets to leave on a higher note, and he gets some other major win that works out for him, he already has the charisma thing and the unique advantage of his election alone being easily cast as a transformative event for the US as a whole, an example of how the nation can rise and become better than itself, and how anyone, even a half black half white kid raised by his mother, can get to the very top and kill Osama Bin Laden.

It's not that I'm totally drinking the kool-aid here, but if a demented cowboy actor can become an icon, Obama should stand a pretty good chance.

Couldn't munch his way through CIG's butt.

CIG and Buttmunch Present: PW.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4ever_Oldschool View Post
    Best news I've heard all day. Now who should be Romney's running mate?

Marco Rubio

Bobby Jindal

Chris Christie

Rand Paul

Paul Ryan

Susanna Martinez

Tim Pawlenty
    Personally, I think he should go with Bobby.
    I dunno if any of them are going to sign on for a VP slot. From where I'm standing, doesn't look like Romney's going to win it and who wants to be associated with a losing campaign? Better to wait until 2016.

Or if Romney actually wins, then what does being VP get you? Not a whole lot.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

I think Sarah Palin showed the value of being a Vice-Presidential candidate even on a losing ticket. Be a good boost in name recognition for the 2016 primaries and VP candidates get to dole out the red meat to the party base so they can earn some points among the electorate. (She also showed the negatives by screwing up a lot, but still...) I can see some of those people doing it, though I have no great idea. Feels like Romney's gotta go hard to the conservative base with someone with an evangelical background to shore up places like Iowa which doesn't want to go Obama, but doesn't necessarily want to vote for a Mormon either.

Romney will most certainly have to pick someone further to the right then him, just to shore up the more conservative vote. However that risks alienating independents, who are more up for grabs then four years ago.

Santorum's Co-Ordinator for his campaign was not exactly ruling out that he'd take a VP slot, or some other senior role, if he felt it was best for himself, Mitt Romney and the Republicans in general.

It may work, but they do disagree on a lot. It's not as striking as Cameron/Clegg here in the UK, but still. I don't think Romney will go for Santorum, and Santorum would not be the best bet as a VP either, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Werehunter View Post
    Romney will most certainly have to pick someone further to the right then him, just to shore up the more conservative vote. However that risks alienating independents, who are more up for grabs then four years ago.
    I think independents vote for the top of the ticket, not the bottom. Now granted I think that there are wrong choices to pick while catering to independents, but those wrong choices are on the incompetent side, not the too conservative side.

Veep choices are to the part of the base that you don't work well with or to avoid criticisms from the other campaign, I just don't think I've ever met anyone that voted based on the second name.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Veep choices are to the part of the base that you don't work well with or to avoid criticisms from the other campaign, I just don't think I've ever met anyone that voted based on the second name.
    You may have not met anyone, but I guarantee you there are people out there who changed their minds one way or the other when Sarah Palin stepped out on that stage beside McCain.
    MachoWarrior made this so you should touch him sexually.

The RTruth
    RT loves Lucky Penny beer. You should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Why would having party support be a qualifier for being able to support a candidate? There was a good 40% of the Democratic Party that refused during the primaries to get behind President Obama in 2008, he even lost a number of states down the stretch. That was no reason for me not to believe in him. People should pick their own candidate that is most in line with their views and their idea of what they want in a president. I'm not sure why they should have less belief in that candidate just because during the primary other participants are drawing support away from the candidate that you support.

I'm obviously not a Romney person (and believing in him seems like it'd be difficult with all the changes in stance *obligatory Democratic dig*), but I'm sure there are people that really like the idea of Romney as the candidate and those people shouldn't really be swayed from that position because there are people that disagree with them.

And we're a long way away from knowing how the campaign will work out, but I don't see it being that one-sided.
    I said it should be one-sided, but it will likely not be just because people don't like Obama, and there are those who will vote Republican no matter what happens. However, based on what you said above that means there was 60% who either were unsure or were supportive of Obama. The thing you forgot to mention though was that in 2008 when Hilary dropped out she supported Obama and many of her supporters, in return, started supporting Obama. In this race for the GOP nomination not one of the previous or current candidates with substantial backing has endorsed Romney. People can vote for who they feel is in most in line with their views but it looks from my view that, despite the old GOP guard and most wanting this thing to end, it still will not end. Say what you will, but the fact that Romney has only won two southern states (Florida and Virginia) and lost or won Ohio, depending on who you listen to, is not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Jeff View Post
    I said it should be one-sided, but it will likely not be just because people don't like Obama, and there are those who will vote Republican no matter what happens. However, based on what you said above that means there was 60% who either were unsure or were supportive of Obama. The thing you forgot to mention though was that in 2008 when Hilary dropped out she supported Obama and many of her supporters, in return, started supporting Obama. In this race for the GOP nomination not one of the previous or current candidates with substantial backing has endorsed Romney. People can vote for who they feel is in most in line with their views but it looks from my view that, despite the old GOP guard and most wanting this thing to end, it still will not end. Say what you will, but the fact that Romney has only won two southern states (Florida and Virginia) and lost or won Ohio, depending on who you listen to, is not a good sign.
    If you think that Santorum, Gingrich, or Paul for that matter won't be supporting Romney in the fall you're crazy. Too early to say that they won't. I didn't forget to mention that in 2008 Hilary eventually supported Obama and many of her supporters because the thinking immediately upon the race ending was that Hilary would not be supporting Obama and that neither would her people. There were whispers of a backlash against Obama from Hilary supporters going all the way through the Democratic National Convention. It didn't happen and neither will the idea that Santorum will sit this one out and leave Mitt on his own. Santorum's already said that he will support the nominee.

And Romney only winning two southern states has as much weight as the idea that Obama didn't win New York, California or Ohio in the Democratic primary in 2008. The southern states aren't going to vote for President Obama. In fact the two states you listed as southern states are states where the Republican party will probably have to fight President Obama, whereas Alabama nor Mississippi will be considered open states to fight for by the President.

In general with primary season I believe that Republican voters will vote for Republicans, Democratic voters will vote for Democrats, and most independents won't be making their minds up yet, meaning I don't think that anything happening now really matters to where we end up in 7 months.

Hilary gave Obama the rest of her political career. This is not just supporting him, but busting her ass for him to the point of total burnout. That is dedication and really helped unite the democrats. I still think she should have been VP, but for damage control she was good pick for sec of state.

It was easier for democrats to unite than it will be for republicans though. Obama and Hilary shared many of the same views and in the end supported heavily a unified party with some of the same big goals. Republican splits are deeper in the evangelical voters do not support Romney at all. This may be a problem in that they may not support Obama on election day, but odds are they will just not vote instead of supporting Mitt.

Mitt and Obama should have interesting debates. Obama's constant offhand comments and short addresses really improved his speaking and he seems to be breaking out of the left/right mold more and more.

I think Obama has this election easily and I hope he retains. He is doing so much at the White House for kids that goes under the radar and is the first president in my lifetime to lead by example starting at home. The science fair in the White House is great example of this. We need to improve science education so he had a fair at the white house and interacted with the students. Some will say it was a publicity stunt, but for those kids, this is life changing. And the fact he has these odd events all the time without publicity really shows that he and his wife do care. This is really what American needed for a while. A president who seemed to care about people and not just congress and laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Hilary gave Obama the rest of her political career. This is not just supporting him, but busting her ass for him to the point of total burnout. That is dedication and really helped unite the democrats. I still think she should have been VP, but for damage control she was good pick for sec of state.

It was easier for democrats to unite than it will be for republicans though. Obama and Hilary shared many of the same views and in the end supported heavily a unified party with some of the same big goals. Republican splits are deeper in the evangelical voters do not support Romney at all. This may be a problem in that they may not support Obama on election day, but odds are they will just not vote instead of supporting Mitt.

Mitt and Obama should have interesting debates. Obama's constant offhand comments and short addresses really improved his speaking and he seems to be breaking out of the left/right mold more and more.

I think Obama has this election easily and I hope he retains. He is doing so much at the White House for kids that goes under the radar and is the first president in my lifetime to lead by example starting at home. The science fair in the White House is great example of this. We need to improve science education so he had a fair at the white house and interacted with the students. Some will say it was a publicity stunt, but for those kids, this is life changing. And the fact he has these odd events all the time without publicity really shows that he and his wife do care. This is really what American needed for a while. A president who seemed to care about people and not just congress and laws.

cares about the people really have you bumped your head. he doesn't care about you me or anyone else he's just another corporate puppet just like the rest of them. don't believe me just look at the patriot act the ndaa see something say something and the list goes on. But hey if you wanna keep drinking the kool aid fine by me but don't say i didn't warn you when it hits the fan

His policies have directly benefited me and will odds are pay for my school. So this kool aid is not only tasty but rather expensive.

All I know is Ron Paul should win and will win if they count the delegates. He clearly has ten times the amount of support as Romney and Obama combined even after his approval rating has plummeted as people saw the his continuing of the wars, the patriot act, Guantanamo Bay, and the NDAA now under his watch.

Enjoy being payed off into enslavement people on welfare can say the same thing lol, and have no rights really.

Quote Originally Posted by CENAfan54 View Post
    All I know is Ron Paul should win and will win if they count the delegates. He clearly has ten times the amount of support as Romney and Obama combined even after his approval rating has plummeted as people saw the his continuing of the wars, the patriot act, Guantanamo Bay, and the NDAA now under his watch.
    Wait, what? Not even Paul's campaign manager would say that he has more supporters than Romney or Obama.

Perhaps if you exist only on the Internet, he does.

But, Ron Paul, like Mitt Romney, has been running for President for a long time now.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

So according to the AP, Romney's VP choices have come down to Marco Rubio and Rob Portman. Coincidentally, they both represent key battleground states.
    It's showtime, folks!

Newt Gingrich has suspended his campaign.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Wow. What a liberal hack that guy was. Way to go Anderson!

Yeah, that guy was an idiot and a hack.

Most of the war on women stuff is actually anti-abortion stuff, which actually disproportionately affects women much moreso than men. Things like demanding women who are thinking about getting an abortion get a transvaginal ultrasound, which can best be analogous to demanding men get a probe stuck up their schlong.

Also, the whole thing about birth control pills, which serve many many MANY uses other than preventing pregnancy.

If Obama tries to make this a social issues campaign with Romney he will lose bad, very badly. Even worse for Obama was the fact that North Carolina -- a state in which he will hold his DNC convention -- banned gay marriage with their vote yesterday. He then, quite stupidly, he said he was disappointed with North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Valuable View Post
    If Obama tries to make this a social issues campaign with Romney he will lose bad, very badly. Even worse for Obama was the fact that North Carolina -- a state in which he will hold his DNC convention -- banned gay marriage with their vote yesterday. He then, quite stupidly, he said he was disappointed with North Carolina.
    He could slap Romney around the face with a loaded sock and still win.

Thread Information