Thread: goldberg vs HHH WWE title match

agent004sho

Default goldberg vs HHH WWE title match

for some reason my son asked me if we could watch a goldberg match today, so i grabbed the 1st tape i saw with a goldberg match and it was goldberg vs HHH, the 1 where goldberg won the title. i've heard alot of people being very harsh in their critisizim of goldberg in his WWE run so i paid especialy close attention to this match. what i noticed was that goldberg sold HHH's arm work very well and through the entire match, maybe even to a fault. HHH 1st worked goldbergs arm and he(goldberg) sold it very well, then HHH started working his leg and i would say worked it harder because he wrapped goldbergs knee around the ring post then slapped on a figure 4. while the figure 4 was locked in goldberg was still clutching his arm and afterwards was still selling his arm and not his leg. who do you think is at fault here, goldberg for not selling the leg or HHH for switching from working the arm to the leg for no reason, or do you think it had no effect on the match anyways??

Stan_Hansen

Default Re: goldberg vs HHH WWE title match

Probably both were to fault in this match but I must say Goldberg is very undertaed in every aspect of wrstling. He is a great submission wrestler, power wrestler and is very athletic. His selling is also very sound compared to a lot of today's Ameican wrestlers who find it difficult to sell for longer then 5 minutes. His early WCW run is what made me get back into American wrestling after I had lost interest around 1995.

agent004sho

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Hansen
    Probably both were to fault in this match but I must say Goldberg is very undertaed in every aspect of wrstling. He is a great submission wrestler, power wrestler and is very athletic. His selling is also very sound compared to a lot of today's Ameican wrestlers who find it difficult to sell for longer then 5 minutes. His early WCW run is what made me get back into American wrestling after I had lost interest around 1995.

i wouldn't go so far as to say he's a "great" submission wrestler but he was 1 of the 1st american guys i saw that used some mma/jiu jitsu based submission moves which i always thought was cool. i agree he was a great power wrestler though and his selling was good. underrated 4sho.

Stan_Hansen

I thought his submissions were very good. They were simple and not very pretty but got the job done. Also he proved he is a legit sumbission wrestler when Regal shot on him.

agent004sho

Also he proved he is a legit sumbission wrestler when Regal shot on him.
    i never saw that infamous incident, i always thought it sounded very unprofessional on regals part.

Stan_Hansen

It was bad on Regals part but it made Goldberg look even more legit. A lot of people on the IWC have mis interpreted the match and tried to twist it to make Goldberg look bad.

BowserMark

It was bad on Regals part but it made Goldberg look even more legit. A lot of people on the IWC have mis interpreted the match and tried to twist it to make Goldberg look bad.

Yes I've seen that on a couple of forums. I did a very detailed review on that match once for Heartbreak Kid + and I remember from that review that I thought Goldberg was the one who came out looking good in the match. I agree with you that Goldberg is a incredibly underrated wrestler, who doesn't deserve all the bashing he gets.

agent004sho

Quote Originally Posted by SabuMark
    Yes I've seen that on a couple of forums. I did a very detailed review on that match once for Heartbreak Kid + and I remember from that review that I thought Goldberg was the one who came out looking good in the match. I agree with you that Goldberg is a incredibly underrated wrestler, who doesn't deserve all the bashing he gets.
    did you see the HHH vs goldberg match??

BowserMark

Quote Originally Posted by agent004sho
    did you see the HHH vs goldberg match??

No unfortently I haven't seen it.

Ryan

This match gets unfairly shit on IMO. It's nothing fantastic, but it's not terrible like most make it out to be. I'm kind of hazy on it, but I don't recall the poor selling or the switch from arm to leg by HHH hurting the match really.

I always thought Goldberg was decent, problem is when your main eventing you have to be a little better than decent.

Wingman

I'll have to watch that match again when I get home. I remember Goldberg selling the arm really well during the match, but I don't remember the leg work very well. It make's since for HHH to go for both Goldberg's legs and arms as he can hurt you with both, so it make's since for HHH to do that, but you figured he would work the legs first though.

The only thing I remember is Goldberg getting hit in the mouth with sledge and no-selling...

agent004sho

Quote Originally Posted by Ness
    The only thing I remember is Goldberg getting hit in the mouth with sledge and no-selling...
    not in this match, in this 1 when HHH brings in the sledge he gets speared before he can use it, it basicly is what costs him the match.

The sledge incident didn't happen at Unforgiven? For some reason I remember it being where HHH couldn't use it (like he could normally... ) and he was on the outside and jabbed Goldberg as he reached over the ropes, and the ref didn't see. Wonder where I got that from.

I always thought Goldberg was great. He had some of the most realistic submissions that you would see in the US and his sellin gwas great.

I haven't seen the match you are referring to, but it is very hard to sell a leg and arm aat the same time for a wgole match and still puull out beleivable offence.

Wingman

The sledge incident didn't happen at Unforgiven? For some reason I remember it being where HHH couldn't use it (like he could normally... ) and he was on the outside and jabbed Goldberg as he reached over the ropes, and the ref didn't see. Wonder where I got that from.
    No the one at Ungorgiven is the one where HHH hits Goldberg with the sledghammer.....Then when HHH gets back in the ring he gets speared and jackhammered for the 1-2-3. So yeah he pretty much no sold the Sledge.

I went back and watched the match....Goldberg really didnt sell the legs at all. He sold the arm very well, but he usually only sold the leg for short periods of times. He made the figure four look like a head lock! HHH would grab the ropes for extra leverage, and Goldberg didn't do anything.

Never really paid that much attention to that match, thanks for pointing all that out.
    Last edited by Wingman; 05-20-2006 at 01:49 PM.

PepsiBoy

I was never really a fan of either of these two. I've seen this match once, and that was 2 years ago. Considering Goldberg was at about 50% when he came to the WWE, i wouldn't guess this to be an extremely good match. Mind you. When was Goldberg ever 100% as far as athelesism was conserned?

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

It's not bad at all. Both have done better, but HHH being methodical and Goldberg just being the powerhouse made for a fun little match. The High Knee when Goldberg was going for the Spear was CHOICE.

Triple H was better in say 2000 and Goldberg in 98-99, but I still enjoyed the match.

"Wrestling Machine"

Goldberg's run in WWE was disappointing but not because of his effort. The booking was questionable at many points during his one year stay. After beating the Rock, arguably the biggest star in the business at that point, at Backlash he was left off the following Judgement Day card. Note that this is still when Judgement Day was a joint brand pay per view. Also around this time he was forced into a two week feud with Rodney Mack. I mean come on! I realise that HHH was feuding with Nash at the time but Goldberg should have gone after the title sooner. His match with Jericho at Bad Blood was decent and the Summerslam Elimination Chamber was awesome.

Goldberg_Mark

As a Goldberg mark, this thread brings a tear to my eye

Justice and praise at last !!!!!!!

The problem with Goldberg mainly was he had a lot of potential, but because he was spoiled by his Superman routine (ala Hogan), he didn't bother to improve. That and he had a HUGE ego. You'll notice he only bothered to give a shit when he was working the main event of a show or a PPV where he couldn't rely on his squash method to win. He was only good when he wanted to be good. I honestly believe the Lesnar / Goldberg match could have been good had both men actually tried to work the match.

Another thing is WCW did such a great job of building up the Streak that once Nash ended it, a lot of fans didn't give a crap about Goldberg anymore.

As for the match in question, it was okay. I was glad to see Goldberg win because I was sick to death of HHH holding the belt for so fucking long. Their rematch at Survivor Series was tons better, not only was the match better, but it had an awesome storyline with the whole bounty thing going into it as well as a cool build-up video featuring Limp Bizkit's "Build A Bridge" which was unfortunately nixed from the VHS / DVD. Hell, I'd probably say HHH / Goldberg II was Bill's best WWE match.

TKO

I didnt like this match very much. Goldberg ruined alot of things for me actually.

Thread Information