HEY, I'M DEAD....COOL. + Revenant +'s Avatar

Six feet under...and dragging you down with me
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb The Retro Gaming Thread

Hear me out; I know we have the Gamers Pad thread, but most of the stuff in there is about upcoming or current games. I think it's kind of a shame that so few topics are made about older stuff. So how about a thread for that, Voxtz and Shane? Anything 6th-gen or older that you've been replaying or want to show your love for, put it here!

I'll start things off: I really liked the Sega fishing games on the Dreamcast, with the rod controller. So do my young cousins. They've got their Wiis at home, but they rush to play fishing every time they come over. Catching a mako shark in Sega Marine Fishing was the highlight of my day.
    Nothing is black and white
    IT'S ALL SHADES OF BLUE

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

Anyone remember like the mid 90's when the mascot for 7-UP was the Cool Spot and they made a game starring the Cool Spot? No clue where I'm going with this but that game was so fucking fun. I use to rent it from Blockbuster as a kid all the time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Spot was cool, I also remember 1 of the Chester Cheetah (the Cheetos mascot) games was pretty damn good.

I also remember a game with Fido Dido, that's said to not have been released publicly; but I remember playing it, I think the Sega Channel (seriously, anybody else here ever even hear of the Sega Channel, let alone have one?) had it in their library...that thing was so far ahead of it's time it's not funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit Tiny Toons and Duck Tales were both great games. Now thats something you don't see now a days. Kids cartoons or kids movies being really fun games. Back in the day it was possible now a days though you see a Spongebob or whatever movie Pixar made that year game and you automatically know its dog shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not forget Aladdin and the Lion King, those were amazing movie games as well.
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's right, Lion King was crazy fun (though it had some frustrating levels). Stargate for the SNES is another oddly fun game.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Reject Religion- music video set to "Pork and Beans" by Weezer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KingoftheLosers
    Let's not forget Aladdin and the Lion King, those were amazing movie games as well.
    So true. And fuck what about Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers. That game was the shit and it kicked my tiny 8 year old ass everytime. Still fucking awesome!

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darkwing Duck, I still love that game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was playing some Pitfighter today for the SNES for a good laugh and I got past The Executioner but simply could not beat C.C. Rider. I have never ever gotten past this guy. Has anyone reached past him? Only player I have known to ever do that was this guy....

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aladdin for the SNES was awesome. I always loved the Genie Level because of its music though the jumps to make on that level was somewhat difficult.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've replayed Aladdin for SNES probably 100,000 times and it's just as fun each time. I swear the first Jafar fight is like one of my favorite boss battles ever.

Never got past the Ape boss in Lion King. I remember it took me ages to figure out the sequence to the Hakunah Matata stage.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You liked the first boss battle? I loved fighting him as the snake, so fun to just jump on his head and hurt him like that.

Currently Playing:

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I played Lion King and Aladdin quite recently. Didn't like Lion King much, fighting Scar was so tedious, but Aladdin was awesome.

Anyone played Chip's Challenge? It's a Windows 95 and/or Windows 98 game. Awesome music too.

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh god the hours I wasted on that and Jezzball...Rodents Revenge was pretty good too...and Skifree...to this day I course that yeti.

Alter Ego was a fun mid 80's life simulation game for Amiga and PC, they gave you several situations and you chose how to respond to them going from birth to childhood to adolescence to young adulthood to adulthood to older adulthood and it monitored your intellect, trustworthiness, health, social skills and so on, as well letting you choose what quality of college you attend or if you even go to college, your major, if you marry and have kids, what job you apply for, and other things. There are situations in which you can die, in which your stats are typically a variable in. There's a web based version you can play for free if anyone is interested, just google "Play Alter Ego".

Executive Suite is another fun witty early-mid 80's text sim where you start off in a low entry position in a major cooperation and attempt to rise through the ranks and become president of the company. It's a fun diversion.

Mad TV is always a blast to play. You basically are in charge of a television station and you control the programming, broadcasting, and advertising, as well as what markets you expand to in an attempt to become the highest rated station and win the girl of your dreams. It's filled with humor and some epic art in the vibe of Mad Magazine.

Life and Death is a fun medical simulation, you meet with patients, diagnose them, decide if they need surgery or not, perform surgery, and either get scolded or praised by your boss dependent on your performance. Life and Death 2: The Brain is the same thing, only focusing on the brain and having more appealing graphics. Both are addictive but have an incredibly steep learning curve.

Shadow President is the most complete Geo-Political Simulation i've ever played. Your main goal is to maintain global stability, the Soviet Union is begining to crack and Iraq is just begining it's plans to take over the Middle-East. You can interact with the majority of the nations on the planet and attempt to improve relations through cultural exchange programs or increased aid or even go the other way entirely; you can supply arms to rebels to help overthrow the government, spy on their military, launch a surgical strike, attempt to carry the assassination of their leader and other malicious behaviors. I remember one game I took over Canada and Mexico and France declared war on me...France! ...Only in Shadow President...

Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 are epic if you like War and Strategy games...you pretty much recruit an elite team of badasses and go all Rambo meets A-Team on people...fun stuff...

All these are Abondonware BTW and can be downloaded for free!
    Last edited by CIG; 06-28-2011 at 07:29 AM.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most frustrating thing about Lion King was being unable to save the game. Super Mario World was released 4 years earlier and had save files.
    still one of my favorite 2d platformers though.

I've been replaying A Link to The Past and I forgot how awesome the soundtrack is. Was waiting for the next music thread to post this, but hell this thread will do-

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CIG
    Oh god the hours I wasted on that and Jezzball...Rodents Revenge was pretty good too...and Skifree...to this day I course that yeti.
    Wow I completely forgot about Jezzball and Rodent's Revenge. Awesome games, especially the latter. I loved Tempest and Battlezone too. It was only within the last couple of months that I learnt you could press the F key to avoid being killed by the yeti on Skifree.

Here are two Gameboy games that will forever hold a special place in my heart.

These old school fuckers didn't even have colour. And I never completed Link's Awakening, the seventh dungeon defeated me

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being playing Streets of Rage 2 lately and didn't realize how short it was. It seem so much longer when younger.
    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X-zero
    Being playing Streets of Rage 2 lately and didn't realize how short it was. It seem so much longer when younger.
    How did you beat the game by yourself and without cheats.

Currently Playing:

mattdragn

I remember playing Chip's Challenge for like an afternoon when I was 8 and finding it to be the hardest thing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindsided
    How did you beat the game by yourself and without cheats.
    Wasn't that hard. I remember not being able to beat part 3 without playing it on very easy so never got the real ending.

Part 2 doesn't really have anything that annoying besides Shiva and the Ultimate Warrior(4th boss). Both which seemed a lot easier now.
    TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mattdragn
    I remember playing Chip's Challenge for like an afternoon when I was 8 and finding it to be the hardest thing.
    I never beat Chip's Challenge, there was some level between 30 and 40 that I couldn't surpass.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there were some movie based stinkers though. i remember "total recall" and "Darkman" being damn unplayable has a kid.

anybody here ever play "time lord" or "iron sword 2" for the NES? those were 2 HARD HAS FUCK games and on each i died at the very end multiple times.
    Last edited by JACKNIFE; 06-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chip's Challenge was one of the first ever games I remember playing and despite it's basic layout it was a really fun yet difficult game.

Other Games I recall aside from the staples...

Dr. Franken for the Gameboy. A basic gothic gameboy game where you play the role of Frankenstein as he explores a huge mansion filled with critters of the night. Very similar to Castlevania except Frankenstein was more of a tank and can shoot lightening from his fists.

Faxanadu for the NES. Kind of link LoZ II but with a lot more blinking. Seriously check this game out, these people couldn't keep their eyes open for a second. I just remember the music too and some really strange enemy designs. I think you took on feet at one point?

Adam's Family: The Movie for SNES. I loved these kinds of platformers. Basic password save system, lots of hidden areas, good power ups and a game where you need the konami cheat to survive. This was one of those games where you really needed to know your stuff to get through which is what made it so good to rent from the local vid store - everybody had documented their discoveries in the hints section to help out players. A lot of fun.

King's Quest VI - This game blew my mind as a 4 year old. Voice acting, reasonable art and graphics, some great puzzles and adventure that took you everywhere that had a number of different endings. Really enjoyed this game and after watching Paw's review of it I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

Gobliiins - Made by the same developers and in the similar vein albeit where as KQVI was just one flat out adventure Gobliiins was more level based. Basically you had to take three goblins the brains the brawn and the uh...useful one? On this adventure to thwart an evil wizard who tricked you in his plan of ruling the world.

Battle Beast - Windows 95 fighter where cutesy animals turn into fighting machines. Controls were terrible and I could never land a hit but I tried playing it for so long...wonder if it's worth giving it a shot today? Really good cartoony graphics and just watching a vid on youtube brought on a pure nostalgia trip.

Ren and Stimpy on SNES - There were a few Ren and Stimpy games but the one I recall had you play as Ren and the second level was in the mouth of Stimpy and I could never finish it because I'd mysteriously die.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One kind of bizarre game i remember as a kid was Golgo 13 for the NES. Smoking, hooking up with women (health gets revitalized), very early first person maze levels, this game was kind of ambitious.

I really wish there are more games like Shadowgate out there right now. Very extensive click and point game.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Reject Religion- music video set to "Pork and Beans" by Weezer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete
    Adam's Family: The Movie for SNES. I loved these kinds of platformers. Basic password save system, lots of hidden areas, good power ups and a game where you need the konami cheat to survive. This was one of those games where you really needed to know your stuff to get through which is what made it so good to rent from the local vid store - everybody had documented their discoveries in the hints section to help out players. A lot of fun.
    I played the Adams Family game made by Ocean and holy shit that was game was hard. Especially the levels of Wednesday, ultra annoying level(I think that was the lava one?).

Currently Playing:

Thread Information