Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 445

Thread: The Retro Gaming Thread

  1. #26
    Big Pimpin' Big Pete's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,783
    vCash
    2332
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindsided
    I played the Adams Family game made by Ocean and holy shit that was game was hard. Especially the levels of Wednesday, ultra annoying level(I think that was the lava one?).
    YES, that's the one.

    I remember that level well. There is a section called Jester's Jump that's just ridiculous. You're in a room surrounded in molten lava which means jumping fireballs and crawling with enemies, but that's not the hard part. The hard part is you have to work your way to the very bottom, hit a switch then try and make it all the way to the top by reaching these platforms that are incredibly difficult to reach without bumping into the platform above you sending you into the firey pits of lava.

  2. #27
    Given A 2nd Chance Blindy's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York
    Age
    27
    Posts
    37,128
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete
    YES, that's the one.

    I remember that level well. There is a section called Jester's Jump that's just ridiculous. You're in a room surrounded in molten lava which means jumping fireballs and crawling with enemies, but that's not the hard part. The hard part is you have to work your way to the very bottom, hit a switch then try and make it all the way to the top by reaching these platforms that are incredibly difficult to reach without bumping into the platform above you sending you into the firey pits of lava.
    That level SUCKED hardcore. I even remember that name too.

    Wasn't there a level that you bounce upon something and one mishap and you fall down to the lava? It was like right before her boss battle.

    The only things I can beat in that game easily is the Owl and Pugsley's level(The game room where you fight that Mad Scientist thing that looks like a Superhero ). The ice level I can make it to the boss........the oven level was very annoying too.

    Wasn't Fester's level annoying too where you have to bounce off his head(Was he possessed) to whack the enemy?

    Its been so long since I played that game...folks the shit is hard believe me. Even when you save all the family members, the unlocked room where you get ready to fight the boss is a pain in the ass. I think I beat the game with Game Genie

    Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Gex: Enter The Gecko(PS3) Rocket League(PS4)

  3. #28
    I <3 JESUS

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    11,974
    vCash
    1050
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    My absolute favorite was Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball. The team names were awesome.

    - Kansas City Kings
    - Chicago Red Birds
    - Texas Cowboys
    - Atlanta Condors
    ..but not only that, it was just fun all-around. I played it probably a hundred times at least. Oh, and Virtual Bart (SNES) was outstanding also.
    Follower of Christ.

  4. #29
    TrashBat
    Guest

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by + Revenant +
    Hear me out; I know we have the Gamers Pad thread, but most of the stuff in there is about upcoming or current games. I think it's kind of a shame that so few topics are made about older stuff. So how about a thread for that, Voxtz and Shane? Anything 6th-gen or older that you've been replaying or want to show your love for, put it here!

    I'll start things off: I really liked the Sega fishing games on the Dreamcast, with the rod controller. So do my young cousins. They've got their Wiis at home, but they rush to play fishing every time they come over. Catching a mako shark in Sega Marine Fishing was the highlight of my day.
    Sega fishing games on the Dreamcast isnt what i would class a "old School", its only like 8 years old. Nintendo 64, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Commodore 64, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron are truly old school.

    Any way i digress, Im mostly playing Duke Nukem 3D on the N64, Gauntlet 2 on Atari ST and Ghosts & Goblins on the Commodore 64 at the moment. I am a truly "Old School" gamer

  5. #30
    Big Pimpin' Big Pete's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,783
    vCash
    2332
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindsided
    That level SUCKED hardcore. I even remember that name too.

    Wasn't there a level that you bounce upon something and one mishap and you fall down to the lava? It was like right before her boss battle.

    The only things I can beat in that game easily is the Owl and Pugsley's level(The game room where you fight that Mad Scientist thing that looks like a Superhero ). The ice level I can make it to the boss........the oven level was very annoying too.

    Wasn't Fester's level annoying too where you have to bounce off his head(Was he possessed) to whack the enemy?

    Its been so long since I played that game...folks the shit is hard believe me. Even when you save all the family members, the unlocked room where you get ready to fight the boss is a pain in the ass. I think I beat the game with Game Genie
    ahhh nostalgia. Yeah with Wednesday's level I think the last section before the boss required you to bounce off cannon balls at JUST the right time to avoid the lava pits below. Mind you, I only know this because I went back and played the game relatively recently after a blog I came across on another forum mentioned it so when it came time to play it my memory was 'oh this section would have really annoyed me when I was a kid, thank god I got my PHD in Super Mario Bros. 3.

    It's a good game and I believe it still holds up well. The only aspect that grated on me was the soundtrack which was inconsistent and just looped over and over again.

    TrashBat - I was considering including the Nintendo 64 but when I think retro I think 95 and back. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Rare's output all seems relatively modern to me.

  6. #31
    TrashBat
    Guest

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete

    TrashBat - I was considering including the Nintendo 64 but when I think retro I think 95 and back. Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Rare's output all seems relatively modern to me.
    Yeah N64 isnt really that old school i suppose, but a good 15 years old never the less.

  7. #32
    Ζєяơ◊ﮎσųζяєą√єя
    Guest

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    When I think Retro I think Atari, old PC games, Commodore, NES and what not.

    I remember playing Might and Magic and Maniac Mansion among others. Castlevania 1 was huge and I even had the poster on my wall.

    Also I remember the floppy disc games like Robocop, Epic and Paperboy. Still have most of these games in my attic.

  8. #33
    The Otaku Prince Lony's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jericho Land
    Age
    31
    Posts
    24,902
    vCash
    3200
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Retro video gaming back when both people had to be in the same room to play a two player game. I still own a super Nes that I play from time to time mostly for Super Mario World and the Donkey Kong Country games.

    Also anyone remember ClayFighter for the Sega Genesis.

    Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

    Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    Grimoire of Zero, MSG: Thunderbolt S2
    Tiger Mask W, Trinity Seven


  9. #34
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ The Hypeman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    Age
    25
    Posts
    14,548
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Turok 2 is still the best FPS I've ever played. I am halfway through playing the PC version for the first time and it is so much better with decent controls.

    I wish more developers would make shooters with wide open environments and really reward you for exploring all of it. Developers were way more creative with these games in the 90s. Now it's all about polishing the look and sound of a shooter, scripting each rail you have to stay on, and writing a retarded story for it that nobody cares about.

  10. #35
    but secretly C to the C Engel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UNC Chapel Hill
    Age
    36
    Posts
    19,494
    vCash
    1000
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    This is a remake all fans of Retro Games should keep an eye on:



    Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

    @Foos

  11. #36
    TrashBat
    Guest

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman
    Turok 2 is still the best FPS I've ever played. I am halfway through playing the PC version for the first time and it is so much better with decent controls.

    I wish more developers would make shooters with wide open environments and really reward you for exploring all of it. Developers were way more creative with these games in the 90s. Now it's all about polishing the look and sound of a shooter, scripting each rail you have to stay on, and writing a retarded story for it that nobody cares about.
    Best? Its good.......very good actually. But Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, GoldenEye 007 and Unreal are all better than Turok 2.

  12. #37
    God is dead RagnarokMike's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Age
    31
    Posts
    18,999
    vCash
    1600
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lonewolf
    Retro video gaming back when both people had to be in the same room to play a two player game. I still own a super Nes that I play from time to time mostly for Super Mario World and the Donkey Kong Country games.

    Also anyone remember ClayFighter for the Sega Genesis.
    I was more of a Primal Rage fan, but Clayfighter had it's day.

    Oh, and Super Mario World is the greatest of all Mario games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

  13. #38
    Ζєяơ◊ﮎσųζяєą√єя
    Guest

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Ah the good memories of T&C Surfing. I used to wreck that game with the tiki guy.
    Also Skate or Die was great too.

  14. #39
    HEY, I'M DEAD....COOL. + Revenant +'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Six feet under...and dragging you down with me
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,839
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    I loathed Skate Or Die. So did all the guys I worked with. But to each his own...and if you ever need an extra copy, Zero, my store has about 30 of 'em sitting in the back. (The NES game I loved that everyone else hated? Fester's Quest.)

    Doom was amazing. I even have the PSX version. The only FPS I liked as much was Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, also by Id and now way too old to play on any computer I know of. As for the Genesis...I never had Clayfighter, but I do have Primal Rage and Ultimate MK3. Along with the Sonics, Phantasy Star IV, Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, Gain Ground, Acme All-Stars, Vectorman...I'll never get rid of that system, there's too much awesome stuff for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TrashBat
    Sega fishing games on the Dreamcast isnt what i would class a "old School", its only like 8 years old. Nintendo 64, Sega Mega Drive, Sega Master System, Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Commodore 64, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron are truly old school.
    The DC is over 12 years old, and died a decade ago. (And by retro, I meant anything 6th-gen or before.)
    Last edited by + Revenant +; 07-03-2011 at 12:08 PM.
    ****************************
    Nothing is black and white
    IT'S ALL SHADES OF BLUE


  15. #40
    The Otaku Prince Lony's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jericho Land
    Age
    31
    Posts
    24,902
    vCash
    3200
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    So recently started playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time again and was wondering if there was any other good RPG's for the N64 because I was thinking of picking up some games over ebay for it.

    Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

    Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    Grimoire of Zero, MSG: Thunderbolt S2
    Tiger Mask W, Trinity Seven


  16. #41
    ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ The Hypeman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    Age
    25
    Posts
    14,548
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lonewolf
    So recently started playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time again and was wondering if there was any other good RPG's for the N64 because I was thinking of picking up some games over ebay for it.
    RPGs on the N64? You might be out of luck, there. Paper Mario is a good game, but after that my mind draws a blank.

  17. #42
    Knows he isn't welcome

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    26
    Posts
    10,530
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    How does one connect Ocarina of Time to RPGs?
    That's all, folks.

  18. #43
    The Otaku Prince Lony's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jericho Land
    Age
    31
    Posts
    24,902
    vCash
    3200
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf
    How does one connect Ocarina of Time to RPGs?
    Hey not all of us are hardcore gamers so sue me for thinking it was.

    Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

    Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    Grimoire of Zero, MSG: Thunderbolt S2
    Tiger Mask W, Trinity Seven


  19. #44
    GaryG
    Guest

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    I could go on forever listing games I used to love as a kid but instead I'll just list a few that I remember liking a lot back in the day.

    First one is definitely the oldest game I remember playing (well, along with Rampage and Jet Set Willy that is!) and that is Skool Daze for the Commodore 64, video below!



    Another game I loved is Moonstone for the Amiga, a four player game which I thought was quite gory at the time!



    I used to also love, on the Amiga, Settlers and of course, one of the greatest games ever, CANNON FODDER!!






    That'll do for now! I agree with what others have said about N64, PS1, etc not really being "retro", the commodore 64, spectrum, amiga, etc, now there's old school!

  20. #45
    HEY, I'M DEAD....COOL. + Revenant +'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Six feet under...and dragging you down with me
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,839
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman
    RPGs on the N64? You might be out of luck, there. Paper Mario is a good game, but after that my mind draws a blank.
    There were very few, but Ogre Battle 64 might count...although it's as much a strategy game as it is an RPG.


    I wish I'd explored the N64's library a lot more when I still had one. Hugely underrated system...but all I played on it was the wrestling games. War Zone, Attitude, Revenge, Backstage Assault, Mania 2000, No Mercy, I had them all.
    ****************************
    Nothing is black and white
    IT'S ALL SHADES OF BLUE


  21. #46
    Moderator Raven*'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,868
    vCash
    4610
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread



    The Super Nintendo was my baby, and this game was my love child.

  22. #47
    The Otaku Prince Lony's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Jericho Land
    Age
    31
    Posts
    24,902
    vCash
    3200
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by + Revenant +
    I wish I'd explored the N64's library a lot more when I still had one. Hugely underrated system...but all I played on it was the wrestling games. War Zone, Attitude, Revenge, Backstage Assault, Mania 2000, No Mercy, I had them all.
    No Mercy still to this day is one of my all-time favorite wrestling games along with Slam Masters for the Super Nes (Ok so it wasn't a WCW/WWE game). Although Backstage Assault was such a shitty wrestling game (owned it on the Playsation) worst ten bucks I've ever spent.

    Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

    Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    Grimoire of Zero, MSG: Thunderbolt S2
    Tiger Mask W, Trinity Seven


  23. #48
    2011 King of the Forums Voxtz's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Kannapolis, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    11,938
    vCash
    6726
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman
    RPGs on the N64? You might be out of luck, there. Paper Mario is a good game, but after that my mind draws a blank.
    There was a game called Quest 64. The combat wasnt the greatest, but i do remember enjoying the game overall.


    Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

    My latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

  24. #49
    Sheldor The Conqueror ~LK~'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Panhandle
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,178
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    So I just finished Final Fantasy VI and have now started FFIX...

    With that out of the way, I love me some older games. Super Mario Bros. 3 is still one of my top favorite games, although it does feel rather short now that I play it as an adult. But that's alright.

    Anyone play Joe & Mac (SNES)? Ah, I used to love that game. Still do. I last played it last year, I think. I haven't played part 2 since I was just a kid, so I only vaguely remember that one, but from what I DO remember, it was better and longer than the first. I wish they'd release it on the Virtual Console.

  25. #50
    HEY, I'M DEAD....COOL. + Revenant +'s Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Six feet under...and dragging you down with me
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,839
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Lonewolf
    Although Backstage Assault was such a shitty wrestling game (owned it on the Playsation) worst ten bucks I've ever spent.
    I loved that game. I knew from the start how bad it was, there's no getting around it. But there's nothing like the corny CAW system and the hardcore gauntlet...and the Schiavone/Heenan commentary is a big nostalgia rush.

    And good going, ~LK~...IX is actually my favorite FF game ever. Great story and a ton of heart.
    ****************************
    Nothing is black and white
    IT'S ALL SHADES OF BLUE


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •