Thread: The Retro Gaming Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Retro Gaming Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman View Post
    Yeah if you're looking for updated rosters and updated franchises for NFL 2K5, you can find the files you need at Operation Sports. You have two options for transferring those files. If you have an action replay, you can just copy the save files to the memory card. If you don't have an action replay, you'll need to connect your Xbox and your PC to the same network and transfer those files over.

https://youtu.be/DJOEen1-234?t=1633 Start this video at 27:13 if the time stamp doesn't work. It shows you how to connect your Xbox to your PC. You only need an ethernet cable.

You unzip the files from Operation Sports, then open up the folders, and copy the C975161D261D folder and the 0B9AB4D80B9B folder to E:\UDATA\53450030 on your Xbox. Then you can start NFL 2K5 and load the roster or the franchise.

It's on now. You are the man.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And finished Manhunt, game was as good as I thought I remember it to be. Piggsy is a creepy son of a bitch, imagine rocking that costume taking your child to trick or treating on Halloween around the neighborhood at night? The question would become: The precinct or the slammer?

I've never played Manhunt 2 as I think the PSN emulation ones are the toned down ones? That's a real shame, the lack of it being uncensored has stopped me from wanting to buy it though I know you can mod a PSP to infiltrate that or get it on the PC and do some tricks to get the unfiltered version of it.
    Last edited by Blindy; 03-25-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so anxious to get my hands on my soft modded Xbox I can't even sleep at night. Some great games on that Coin Ops 8 Massive thingy, both TMNT arcade games, Terminator 2, WWF Wrestlefest, Donkey Kong.

Also just found a site to download retro rosters for NFL 2K5, from 1979 to 2014!....

Site hasn't been updated since 2013, hopefully everything still works. I don't even know where to start, 1979? 1991? 1999? FUUUUUUUUCK!

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring a title to Jets nation for us please Shinobi, even if it means throwing the damn Oilers out of the way!

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think I'm going to try to download the 1991 rosters, probably the best year in NFL history as far as overall talent in the league, Randall Cunningham, Bo Jackson, Reggie White, LT, Elway, some great teams with the Montana/Rice 49ers, the Rypien Redskins, Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin Cowboys, Barry Sanders Lions, the Bills, Bears defense still stacked, the Warren Moon Run N Shoot Oilers, Back in Black Falcons with Deion, Dome Patrol Saints, Okoye Chiefs, Marino Dolphins, etc, etc, etc.

I was too young to really remember watching any football in the 91 season so there's not really any nostalgia for me for this year(except the Skins vs Bills Superbowl, the first game I remember watching), it's just looking back I can't find many other years where there were so many all time greats playing at a high level at the same time. Some of these guys were too young in 1990, others were out of the league or too old by 1992, 1991 was really the Goldilocks year in what was a Goldilocks era of NFL history(late 80's after the second strike up to the start of free agency craze in 93), it's one of the reasons why Tecmo Super Bowl for NES is so great(also love Madden 92 over the other old school Maddens because of that 1991 roster). Having that roster on NFL 2K5 would be pretty sweet.

Edit: Actually Bo and Montana were out of the league in 1991 with injuries. Bo suffered career ending hip injury in 1990 playoffs, while Montana was out for the whole 91 season with an elbow injury I believe. Both guys were still in the Tecmo Super Bowl rosters for some reason. I seen that the 1991 roster download is based on the TSB roster, just too sweeeeeeet!
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my soft modded Xbox in the mail today, damn disc tray doesn't open and it's flashing orange and red lights. I played a few games even though the lights were flashing, so maybe this is usual for a modded Xbox?

So many great games on this thing though, it blows my mind.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try putting pressure on the right edge of the disc tray for a few seconds after pressing the eject button. You need to time it so that you're releasing pressure as soon as the tray attempts to open. If it doesn't get unstuck, I would send that shit back and get a refund.

If your Dashboard is UnleashX, you can set the LED to display different colors, so you should check in the settings if the LED is set to flash red-orange.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ok with the disc tray not opening since there are so many games already on the hard drive, man I was up until 11 last night playing shit. The flashing color lights got me worried though. The thing is that the system works perfectly fine even though the ring turns orange, sometimes it will flash green to red to orange. I checked and it is unleash x, I'll check and see if the settings are set for it to do that tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help @The Hypeman.

One cool game that is on there that I played last night is Karate Champ, this is a dual stick fighting game from 1984 that they played in the movie Bloodsport.

Too fucking sweet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the disc tray to open and close and also found out that it was set to where the default ring color was orange. Everything is awesome. This machine is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen in my fucking life. @The Hypeman you are the man for turning me on to this and helping me out with it. Thanks a bunch.

I'm seriously considering building my own arcade cabinet. I've got the tools and the know how, all I would need would be about 4-5 sheets of 4X8 3/4 thick MDF board, maybe some black glossy paint to make it look nice. I've got an old CRT tv that would work perfectly for this. Already got one X-Arcade Tankstick but thinking about buying another tank stick and making it a 4 stick cabinet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found an awesome game on my Xbox, Andre Panza Kickboxing for the PC Engine. This is the same game as Best of the Best Championship Karate that I posted about on the last page. I'm assuming Andre Panza Kickboxing is the original version and the Best of the Best games were ports for the SNES and Genesis. The PC Engine version is waaaaaaay better, the graphics, the animation, the controls, also a couple of little things that are better like the training mode. On the SNES/Genesis versions you use the buttons to throw strikes but with this PC Engine version you hold a button down and use the D-pad for movement and strikes, I was surprised at how much better this worked compared to the SNES/Genesis versions I grew up with(which had really clunky and unresponsive controls). The colors and detail in the graphics and the animation quality is also substantially better.

I've never really played much PC Engine(it was called the Turbo Graffx 16, or the TG-16 in the US). I never seen one back in the day, none of my friends ever had one. I've read a little about it, it got over in Japan but was a flop in North America. It was a 16 bit console but was nowhere near as powerful as the Genesis or SNES, you couldn't tell it by comparing the three different ports of this particular game, the PCE version makes the others look bad.

Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-31-2017 at 06:52 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The PC Engine was a great system and actually came in when the 8 bit consoles were still in their prime, but never got a foothold outside of Japan.

Long overdue, but I finally grabbed Mario 2 & 3 for the NES. Will have to play through those soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really surprised at how well my Xbox emulators play Nintendo 64 games. They are spot on, they even look better on my new school tv. I hooked my 64 up to this TV a few months back and it kinda looks like shit but the games look great being played through this Xbox. The emulator itself is really cool, it's a slick interface where you can browse all the games, just as good as a commercially released compilation like like Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection or something, you can see the box art as you browse through the games. The controls are spot on, perhaps even a little better since the analog sticks on the Xbox controller are much better than the 64 stick. What tripped me out was that the vibration function works with the Xbox controller just as if you had a rumble pack on a 64 controller!

I played a little bit of Super Mario 64, also Sin & Punishment, a very sweet on-rails shooter that was never released in the US. I'd say this is one of my favorite 64 games bar none, it plays a little like Panzer Dragoon Orta except instead of flying on a dragon you run around on the ground. Sweet graphics and gameplay and a pretty cool story.

Also played F-Zero X for the first time. Really impressed with this one, really fast playing racing game with some of the best graphics I've seen on a 64 game, really good gameplay to go along with it.

Then I checked out The Legendary Adventures of Hercules, the box art drew me in and the game was actually way better than I expected it to be. Kicking the boxes around to use them to get up onto platforms reminds me a bit of God of War. I didn't get very far but this was actually pretty decent game.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-01-2017 at 10:00 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing Gex: Enter The Gecko and I am absolutely liking the game thus far. Game has a lot of personality, I can't help but laugh at the one liners that Gex is throwing. They are so outdated and so 80's and 90's yet I get a good chunk of them that it's one of those they are so bad they are good sort of ordeals. So far the enemies have not given me fits but it's been more so Blindy vs the Camera throughout this game.

Game reminds me of a Spielberg cartoon like Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons, Pinky and The Brain etc. Seems like a game that kids can easily enjoy and like but they have some puns and humor that older ages would also get and I happen to grow up with these cartoons so this game and series seems like something absolutely up my alley.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember Gex was like the proto-Conker's Bad Fur Day in the sense that it was a mascot platformer inside a world filled with pop culture references. I remember advertisement for that game was everywhere when I first got into gaming ('98) and you'd swear it, Buck Bumble, Rayman 2 (which was actually one of the better 3D Platformers of it's era), Glover and 40 Winks were going to be the biggest games of that era.

But then the game turned out to be a colossal disappointment. Here was this great concept for a game filled with 007/Austin Powers/Movie references and it just had all the worst quirks of that era. I remember the camera made Mario 64 look like a Stanley Kubrick masterpiece by comparison and the game was really fidgety and unforgiving.

Everytime I'd rent it out, I'd lull myself into thinking I was just playing poorly and the game was actually really good but I could not get into it.

20 years later...I wonder if it's worth a look?

Actually I wouldn't mind checking out some of the lesser known platformers of that era just to see what they were like. I'm super familiar with games like Mario, Banjo, Crash, Donkey Kong etc. I wouldn't mind checking out games like Tonic Trouble, Rocket: Robot On Wheels and the like to see how they compare.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked out Gex Enter the Gecko for 64 on my Xbox just a few hours ago. @Blindy was right about the personality of the game, the one liners had me cracking up as well. I played a few minutes of the haunted house type level and quit after I couldn't figure out what to do. The Spielberg cartoon comparison is spot on. Not bad from the little bit I played, controls and gameplay is good, wonky old school 3D camera issues but graphics are decent for their time. These 3D platformer type games are kinda not for me though.

The retro game shop I go to had a 3DO console with the original Gex game for sale for a pretty good deal, I was going to buy it(they had a pretty good selection of other 3DO games I wanted) but it was sold when I went back the last time. There is another Gex game on my Xbox where he's on the cover in a wrestling ring with a black vest that says Gex 3:16! Need to check that one out.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-02-2017 at 09:28 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, it's surprisingly difficult to think of N64 games to recommend that aren't popular first party titles and can be appreciated by the average Joe. Whenever anybody brings up the N64, my mind instantly goes to games like Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros. but they're not good lazy Sunday afternoon pick up and play titles. I also feel like the other games like Banjo Kazooie, Majora's Mask, Paper Mario are games you would have played right now if they interested you.

So let me take a stab.

One N64 game I feel you'd enjoy Shin is Jet Force Gemini. It's a Rareware title, which almost feels like cheating, but it's one of their lesser known titles and I think you'd really appreciate the action and how it pays tribute to old space operas. On the topic of science fiction, Star Wars Rogue Squadron is a bad-ass shoot 'em up which has some of the best visuals and performance on the N64. It's one of the few license games that stands up on it's own and really should be celebrated alongside Goldeneye as one of the N64's greatest achievements. Also, I have no idea how it holds up, but Shadow Man was a sweet supernatural thriller third person action game that has garnered a poor reputation because the PS1 port was so poor.

I'd also pimp the other N64 Treasure titles, but I'm sure as a Sega fan you'd be familiar with Bangai-O and Mischief Makers maybe too weeb for you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    You know, it's surprisingly difficult to think of N64 games to recommend that aren't popular first party titles and can be appreciated by the average Joe. Whenever anybody brings up the N64, my mind instantly goes to games like Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros. but they're not good lazy Sunday afternoon pick up and play titles. I also feel like the other games like Banjo Kazooie, Majora's Mask, Paper Mario are games you would have played right now if they interested you.

So let me take a stab.

One N64 game I feel you'd enjoy Shin is Jet Force Gemini. It's a Rareware title, which almost feels like cheating, but it's one of their lesser known titles and I think you'd really appreciate the action and how it pays tribute to old space operas. On the topic of science fiction, Star Wars Rogue Squadron is a bad-ass shoot 'em up which has some of the best visuals and performance on the N64. It's one of the few license games that stands up on it's own and really should be celebrated alongside Goldeneye as one of the N64's greatest achievements. Also, I have no idea how it holds up, but Shadow Man was a sweet supernatural thriller third person action game that has garnered a poor reputation because the PS1 port was so poor.

I'd also pimp the other N64 Treasure titles, but I'm sure as a Sega fan you'd be familiar with Bangai-O and Mischief Makers maybe too weeb for you.
    Thanks Pete, I'll check those out. Each game has a note for how it plays and unfortunately Rogue Squadron is one of the few games that says that it's unplayable because it hangs, that's the only reason why I haven't checked that out yet.

Haven't had much time to get down on this machine this week. Last weekend though I burned all of my Xbox games onto the hard drive. I have a pretty small collection of Xbox games, a good bit of them were just retro compilations like the Capcom and Midway arcade collections, which are useless to me now that I have Coin Ops 8 on this machine, which has all of those games in better more accurate versions(the Namco collections in particular were really poor translations of those arcade games, I believe these were just ports of the PS1 compilations they did). But I got Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Crimson Skies, Doom 3, Outrun, Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks, NFL 2K5, Madden 07(Panzer Dragoon Orta is already on Coin Ops 8, along with Halo 1 & 2, and another FPS called Black that I have yet to try out) and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting about. This is a really cool and convenient feature on this machine though, to have those games at the touch of a finger without the disc. How awesome would this have been back in the video rental days? Just rent the game, burn it to your Xbox and it's yours after you return the disc.

One game I did play a couple of nights ago was Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, which my other Xbox would not load. I burned it to my hard drive on this new one I got and it plays perfectly without the disc. This was actually the first time I played this game, I was really blown away by how good it was and how much it sticks to the formula of the pen and paper Star Wars RPG that I loved when I was a kid. I'm not going to turn on my phone or answer the door today, just gonna rest my sore beat up old body and immerse myself into this game all fucking weekend. It's everything I ever wanted a Star Wars RPG video game to be.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a break from Knights of the Old Republic and downloaded a few rosters for NFL 2K5. I used the instructions that @The Hypeman posted earlier in this thread and this was incredibly easy and quick. I downloaded and played around with the 1979, 1991, and 2016 rosters. I'm amazed by this, how detailed all of this is, whoever put these rosters together must have spent a lot of time on them because they are just about spot on. Just absolutely mind blowing that this is a thing.

This is a video for the PS2 version but this gives you an idea of what I'm working with here(Xbox version actually plays a little better). I downloaded the franchise that was linked by Hypeman but didn't really like some of it(it was one that was made before the start of the 2016 season), found a much better and more up to date 2016 roster on that same website by a guy named GillBoldberg. Only complaints are some of the ratings on the Texans, Bouye, Demps, Clowney, and Mercilus are all rated a bit too low, still sweet as hell though. 13 year old video game still running strong and being updated by fans every year, from what I've read it's still better than the new Madden games, I wouldn't know since I stopped buying/playing those years ago. Madden 2009 was the last one I tried and it was god awful, so bad I traded it in that same weekend and bought a Sega Saturn with the money I got for it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was able to spend a little bit of time with my baby today, my modified Xbox. I played through the entire Aliens arcade game from Konami from 1990. Pretty cool game but I had a few complaints about it, the power ups for your weapons were pretty bunk, the stock machine gun that you have is better than any of the power up weapons. Also the game is a little too colorful to be an Aliens game, lots of pastel colored pink and green aliens running around. The level designs have a good variety to change things up as you go through the game but it's pretty mediocre all things considered. Definitely not on the level of some other games from this era like X-Men or Final Fight, I can see why Konami never bothered to port it to a home system, it's really short(I beat it in about 20 minutes). Not that bad but not that great either. Music is bland and controls aren't that great, graphics were pretty decent for the era. Coolest thing was probably the final fight using the bi-pedal mech thing to fight the final Alien queen.

Then I played another hour or so of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Amazed at what all you can do in this game and I'm only just scratching the surface. I jacked off talking to NPC's, playing the little blackjack style card game and competing in the duels in the cantina and never really got the chance to do what I was supposed to be doing to advance the story of the game. Just love how this game plays like the pen and paper Star Wars RPG, this game is deep.

Then throughout this week I chipped away at a little project I'm doing with NFL 2K5. I've had a fan fiction going on another forum where the AFL backs out of the merger with the NFL and surpasses it in popularity to the point where the NFL goes out of business by 1977. I wrote it to where the AFL holds a special draft to distribute the NFL players among the AFL teams, changing the history of pro football going into 1978 and beyond. I decided to start using NFL 2K5 to simulate the games starting with the 1979 season. I downloaded the rosters for 1979 for NFL 2K5 and made the edits to recreate my AFL rosters from my fan fiction project, only thing I got left is figuring out how the 1979 rookie draft would have unfolded(where would Montana, Phil Simms, Dan Hampton etc. have ended up?) and then I'm ready to simulate the 1979 AFL season. With the ability to download these custom rosters this makes this much more interesting, and it's super easy to change the players around since they are already in the game with their proper info/ratings.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played Castlevania Rondo of Blood on the Turbo Duo CD(PC Engine), this may be the best Castlevania game I've ever played. Great music, graphics, and gameplay.

The Playstation emulator I have on this X-Box doesn't have very many games, all the Crash games, Diablo, NBA Jam TE, Hot Shots Golf, honestly I think that's about it. I'm sure it would be easy to download more games and put them on this X-Box but as long as it took for me to download Sega CD games I can't imagine how long it would take to download a full PLaystation game. I dug around and managed to find Spyro The Dragon! It's on a compilation that includes all 3 Crash games. I played this for about an hour last night, easily one of the best games of it's genre for that era, one of my favorite Playstation games.

It's a shame that the Sega Genesis emulator on this Xbox is total shit. It's the worst emulator out of all these on this thing, sucks because Genesis is my favorite console. It has no spiffy interface like the other emulators do, it's just all the games listed in white text on a black background. There's no way to change the controller configuration, which sucks because the buttons are mapped to where the C button is the tiny little black button on the X-box controller, weird layout that makes playing the games awkward. Also pretty much every game I load up on this thing has some weird glitches and problems with audio. The Coin Ops 8 massive emulator has a collection of some of the better Genesis games and they play much better through that with better controls. I wonder if I can get Gens or Fusion emulators to work on this thing?

Also played a game of Madden 94 last night for SNES. I'm a big fan of the Genesis Madden games and always found them to be far superior to the SNES versions but damn, I never realized how good the SNES version of Madden 94 is. This one was programmed by Visual Concepts, the same group that would go on to develop the NFL 2K series for Sega. The presentation of the SNES version of Madden 94 really blows the Genesis version out of the water. Game also felt a little more difficult, I played with the Oilers against the Saints and threw like 5 interceptions, still won 9-3, but being up by only 6 points I ran the clock out for the final minute, Saints had all 3 timeouts and never called one so the AI was still pretty stupid. But the game is overall better than the Genesis version still. I always liked how the Genesis version gameplay felt closer to the Madden 92 and 93 games, playing the SNES version it has a different feel to the gameplay but still really good. It's interesting because the difference between these two ports was a preview of the same type of things that separated Visual Concepts NFL 2K games from the Madden games when those two franchises were going head to head.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I need to emulate nowadays I just plug my laptop into the TV via HDMI and use a 360 controller. I think I have a NES emulator on the PS2 which is kind of cool, but I don't use it much.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished Earthworm Jim HD

This is a game I hadn’t played since I was about 7 or maybe 8 years old so this was a flashback from a game I really liked two decades ago. It was going to be a matter of how well it holds up, here in 2017 after countless platformers have went after it and have incorporated its own quirky humor in it and I must say that this game still holds up very well. Yes it is a very short game, maybe clocking you a little under 2 hours if you know what you are doing. There’s not much to the game and it is simple to an extent but the levels do provide some difficulty such as For Pete’s Sake and In The Lab where the gimmick/premise of the level can be somewhat annoying even to expert players.

The HD remaster was pretty well done though they did change the voice of Earthworm Jim(Which I kinda like). There was an opening comic book scene to give backstory as to the Earthworm Jim character though I kinda wish there was more of those comic book scenes for each level, the game looks cool for its time and there’s a high score system involved and the best part is there’s a way to play each level you’ve beaten . This is great for if you blow your lives and continue and would not need to be forced to play the game again from the start. There’s a differentiation of difficulty from easy to normal to hard(Which I played) to the original SNES/Genesis/PC Earthworm Jim challenge so there’s enough variety with its difficulty for long time fans and newcomers to get along with.

Tommy Tallarico absolutely kills this series with such great music, one of the most underrated OSTs in video game history IMHO. New Junk City, Ascension, and Snot a problem are problem my top 3 if I had to choose with Buttville and Psycrow’s battle to round out a top 5 of this games’ soundtrack.

“Ohhh Yeahhh”. The game is so quirky, simple enough and the HD remaster does enough to make it worth a purchase in my eyes where it doesn’t completely destroy the game and the reasons people adore the game. Cool level design, cool characters, it’s worth it for the couple of hours you’ll get out of it. It still holds up well for me. Add in some new secret levels and I THINK an Earthworm Jim 2 level and you got some new goodies in this HD remaster that didn’t previously exist.

Wish the sequel got the same treatment, that would be a harder game to play on a last or current gen system.

Have fired up American Mcgee's Alice in Wonderland.......................wondering if I am going to regret this decision. I heard the sequel simply outclasses it every single way but I want to play the 1st game to understand the 2nd game and to not get spoiled by the better game mechanics. Keep tuned in to this thread to get my thoughts as I go through this game. I mean.....I played Maximo a few months back, can it be any more harder than that? I also played Kameo a few months back too!

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And finished American Mcgee's Alice. I got the game for free as apart of getting Alice: Madness Returns digitally in a real neat backwards compatible sale for the XB1 so no qualms or complaints on a free game but it's time to discuss the shortcomings of this game and the frustration that this game will bring forth to the player.

- By no means is this a terrible game, it isn't and certainly not for 2000 but is it a good game? Not really. The game does not age well in the very least bit which unlike games like Banjo Kazooie that precede do despite the latter coming before this game. How does this game not age well might you ask?

1) The platforming feels very clunky and not fluid in the least. Often you will find yourself needing to time your lands correct and even when you think you got the jump down to pat, you may end up clipping off the edge to your death. Add some enemies like Banshees that can obnoxiously push you back and even the most veteran platform fans will experience their frustration boil over time over the clunky platforming. Anytime a game cannot do it's supposed bread and butter well which in this case is platforming, you are simply going to have problems.

2) The inability to limit your item inventory is brutal. In this game you get about 7 or 8 weapons to use and by end game about 3 of them really matter at all, the Jabberwock staff, the starter knife and the jaxx. The timer does serve some purpose and before end game, the ice staff is very useful but the point I am trying to get at is that you are constantly needing to shuffle different items on the run which in turn can be frustrating when enemies can chip away at your health. The pause option does absolutely nothing worthwhile except for very vital concept of the game which I will touch upon later on so you can't even change it up while pausing the game.

3) The underwater swimming is a nightmare in this game. It's a constant battle with the camera while having these fish enemies nibble at your life consistently and they sometimes even come in schools. Very archaic system which is the theme of this review for this game.

4) There's a very shaky auto aim system that you have to be specifically close enough to the enemy to have have it be put upon them so your attacks don't completely whiff. The game is somewhat generous enough with the attacks homing, specifically the deck of cards and jaxx but still it will take time to get used to, especially in comparison to modern games.

5) Game is quite cryptic, like you aren't going to realize how to progress and I admittedly had to look up a few things to proceed in the game. Simple things like missing 1-2 clocks from getting hit or not stepping on a platform are the littlest of things that can throw you off. By no means is this Zelda type of cryptic but it is still nevertheless frustrating to not have the slightest clue on what to do to proceed.

6) Awful awful awful boss fight with the Jabberwock. 2nd fight with it. Awful. He does ridiculous damage and can 2 shot you in given circumstances, he can tank a crap ton of hits and the lone real good way to hurt him is to have to use the staff but the problem is it drains your magic quite hastily and it then requires you to have to run around and pick up recoveries to get it and it goes back to him absolutely destroying you with hellfire. I spent about a half hour on this lousy boss. It somewhat just comes down to luck and RNG of him giving you enough time to secure recoveries to unleash your magic upon him to win.

- Now the one thing this game happens to do right is the save anytime option. It's EXTREMELY vital in this game where there's zero shame in saving even after the littlest of accomplishments. You best make use of this because this game is unforgiving enough that a mistake like not saving at a certain spot can and will lead you to have repeat the segments over and over again. The game will autosave but that's usually meant for the beginning of each level so not hard saving can be quite fatal. However, pick your spots with saving because all of your hard work will be for naught if you save in a spot that will repeat death such as missing a jump or getting hit by an enemy on your last bit of health.
    Last edited by Blindy; Yesterday at 10:59 PM.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Big Pete gtfih brah, I loaded up WCW vs NWO Revenge on my Xbox N64 emulator and played a few matches today, I'm in the mood because I've been binge watching WCW 1998 tapes. This game is better than I remember it being. Playing as Goldberg is pretty sweet, it's easy to beat the fuck out of people, hitting the spear feels pretty great. Pulling off moves is so easy, I pulled off some pretty sweet spots with Rey in a match against Juvy(which had random run ins by Jericho and Psicosis, awesome). Really good controls and great charm with that Summer '98 WCW roster. I wish it had Wrath though. This is definitely my favorite pro wrestling game though, with Fire Pro coming in at a close second. The controls are really all they need to be and the roster is the GOAT. I wish the ECW games were like this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine if they re-released WCW/nWo Revenge with an online leaderboard? You'd never want to drop the game.

As much as I enjoyed playing as Bill Goldberg (with a leather-jacket, all my boys like Booker T, Sting, Billy Kidman & La Parka wore the same attire), the best matches were always with the Puro knock offs. Han Zo Mon & Shogun were a killer tag team and some of the animations for them are still so impressive. One thing that made this game stand out from later entries was the way you could customise the match, giving guys certain advantages or giving guys less endurance so the matches wouldn't drag out so long.

My only gripe with Revenge and all AKI games for that matter is how OP taunts are. I'd often just pick the guy with the shortest taunt animation since it was the easiest way to build up spirit and hit moves without being reversed.

The other gripe is Hogan and how crappy he is. For the default guy in the game, he had the worst finisher of anybody.

And while I'm on a roll, I hate the tug of war animation that seems to happen every few seconds when you both go for a grapple at both times.

If you can find it, I still believe Virtua Pro Wrestling 2 was the best wrestling game AKI produced, but as far as WCW & WWF licensed games go, I can't go past Revenge.

Thread Information