vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Agreed with you on a lot of this.

The Benjen scene bothered me for a different reason than it did you: they both could have fit on that horse.
    Sure they could've, but the horse would've collapsed after a short distance. A horse can only comfortably carry around 230 pounds and Benjen looks like he weighs close to that by himself.

My problem was, why didn't Jorah, or someone else, point out the Night King to Dany, so her remaining two dragons could take them out right there?

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then we not get hawt dragon on dragon action. This is the difference between the writing now and GRRM. Feel like GRRM would have tried to cover these bases, whereas now, they just do not care.

The Bran stuff I long soured on. If already watched the spoilers then really, none of this matters because he will deux ex machina the ending. And that really is the absolute worst way to end this show given all the outs they already have.

Bran writing in a way has been total shit too, since he is manipulating Ayra and Sansa into killing Littlefinger, the same way Littlefinger would. He is not mocking Littlefinger, he is using people like he did. Also Bran not really being human anymore is being ignored. So much stuff going on here and we get none of it.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VonTroll View Post
    Sure they could've, but the horse would've collapsed after a short distance. A horse can only comfortably carry around 230 pounds and Benjen looks like he weighs close to that by himself.

My problem was, why didn't Jorah, or someone else, point out the Night King to Dany, so her remaining two dragons could take them out right there?

Drogon was their ride out of there, no way they would risk him, and I doubt Dany would want to risk losing Rhaegal right after watching Viseron die..

The thing that bugged me was the Jon kept on fighting the wights (even ADVANCING on them instead of getting on the damn dragon and getting the hell out of there.

Also Drogon was actually CLOSER to the Night King than Viseron was. Rather odd he chose to throw the spear at Viseron instead.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least in the end they were able to have Jon say (essentially) "well that was fucking stupid, wish I hadn't done that", though Dany decided to throw in that he should have.

The interaction between the guys was good, the battling with the dead was good (except where they fucked up the CGI to have one of the unknowns killing wights that didn't make it into the show), and the end result of a showdown in the capital is good... but ehh...

The Dany/Tyrion conflict has become frustrating from both sides, and the plan to get a wight was ridiculous. All of the wights dying but one was ridiculous. Jon surviving his ice bath was ridiculous.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of ridiculous shit has happened. The ice bath being a big one. The Night King and Co not being touched by any of the 3 dragons. Random Widllings only showing up on scene to die during the battle, but nowhere to be seen beforehand. Hence why I was disappointed with my first watching of this episode. I watched it 3 times, though, because I'm such a mark for The Night King.

Next weeks episode is going to be awesome, though. All those characters on the same screen is going to be great. I'm also calling Littlefinger getting killed next week, too. Should be awesome.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was watching on a fairly low quality stream. I had a hard time figuring out who died. Obviously Thoros did. At least two guys got wrecked by zombie bear (not including Thoros). Then there's the guy who fell off the platform in the lake fight. Who the fuck were they? Important characters or random extras who showed up just to die?

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Last nights episode was fun, but stupid. Maybe that's what the subtitle of this season should be: fun but stupid.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. This episode, mind, not the whole season. The rest of the season has been very good, a nice redemption from the lacklustre seasons 5 and 6, but this episode was so fucking stupid. Gendry and the raven, those guys not freezing or starving to death stuck on an ice lake for a fucking long time, the dragons arriving at the absolute perfect time, Jon Snow getting out of the freezing water despite being weighed down by a bunch of wights, all his heavy gear, and his sword. Benjen. Absolutely ridiculous. Then there's all the Winterfell bullshit. I don't even know what's going on there, nor do I care.

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    This episode confirmed the Night King has the greenseer ability Bran has. We already pretty much knew that since he looks at Bran every time he gets spied on, but this showed that the Night King saw all this play out. He knew to make the wights wait for the ice to freeze, he knew Jon & co. would hold off the wights long enough for Dany to arrive, he knew that he'd get himself a dragon (maybe two, but he missed his second shot), he knew everything.
    Interesting theory, and at least it gives a semi-reasonable explanation for the events. But then, if the Night King knows everything, then nobody would have made it out alive. He would have anticipated Benjen coming and everything else. It's a band aid theory.

I basically stopped caring at the end of season 6, season 7 dragged me back in again, and now I'm back to not caring. It's turned into Hollywood action movie crap.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I'll post the same thing I posted in the spoiler thread over at reddit because I watched the episode early.

I honestly didn't have a big problem with this episode until Benjen showed up. Yeah the "send a raven, we'll just chill here," stuff was pretty dumb but I've learned to accept that time doesn't matter in this show anymore. It hasn't for a few seasons now.
    But fucking Benjen showing up actually made me groan. I'm sure we'll get a conversation between Bran and Jon to give Jon some closure on why the hell Benjen came out of nowhere to sacrifice himself, but it felt so out of place and just bad.
    If you're going to use Benjen, have him show up earlier and join the group before they get surrounded. Jon should have been saved by Rhaegal and rode his ass back to Eastwatch.
    Benjen is at least sort of explainable because when we last saw him, he said he would continue fighting for the living as long as he could -- presumably he goes around looking for white walkers and zombies to battle or delay their advance towards the wall (which would also explain why they haven't gotten there yet) but all of the white walkers are gathered in one place, so there's really nowhere else he should be. He also did not intercede when our heroes were surrounded because he's not a stupid man and realizes he would only die needlessly.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jon surviving his ice bath was ridiculous.
    This was not ridiculous. It was very good actually. Many assume Jon will be immune to fire because of his birthright, but I assume he will be immune to extreme cold, as we seen repeatedly from him. This was showing it clearly. Makes him a bit more clearly the ice to Dany's fire.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone, lay off the greatest show of all time!

The dumbest thing is STILL Jamie and Bronn ending up across the lake during a war after nearly getting killed by Drogon.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VonTroll View Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Drogon was their ride out of there, no way they would risk him, and I doubt Dany would want to risk losing Rhaegal right after watching Viseron die..

The thing that bugged me was the Jon kept on fighting the wights (even ADVANCING on them instead of getting on the damn dragon and getting the hell out of there.

Also Drogon was actually CLOSER to the Night King than Viseron was. Rather odd he chose to throw the spear at Viseron instead.
    LT pretty much summed up my feelings to that. Just to add, there was a lot of chaos going on at the time and for most of the men on the ground, this was the first time they'd even laid eyes on the dragons, let alone seen what they're capable of. This would be the equivalent of, well, us seeing dragons. It's mind-blowing.

Yeah Jorah could have been like "Kill the Night King!" but would Dany hear him? Would she know what the hell he was talking about?

Also, they're watching Dany scorch hundreds of walkers in a single pass. In their minds they might be thinking "this is it, we win, in a few minutes all these fuckers will be dead."

Nobody expected the Night King to do what he did, and with such ease. He took Viserion out like it was nothing, then they all saw him lining up another shot. They didn't have much time to react after that. And if you watch closely, when Viserion goes down Rhaegal gets the fuck out of there in a hurry. Drogon only stayed because Dany was on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I was watching on a fairly low quality stream. I had a hard time figuring out who died. Obviously Thoros did. At least two guys got wrecked by zombie bear (not including Thoros). Then there's the guy who fell off the platform in the lake fight. Who the fuck were they? Important characters or random extras who showed up just to die?

Couldn't have said it better myself. This episode, mind, not the whole season. The rest of the season has been very good, a nice redemption from the lacklustre seasons 5 and 6, but this episode was so fucking stupid. Gendry and the raven, those guys not freezing or starving to death stuck on an ice lake for a fucking long time, the dragons arriving at the absolute perfect time, Jon Snow getting out of the freezing water despite being weighed down by a bunch of wights, all his heavy gear, and his sword. Benjen. Absolutely ridiculous. Then there's all the Winterfell bullshit. I don't even know what's going on there, nor do I care.

Interesting theory, and at least it gives a semi-reasonable explanation for the events. But then, if the Night King knows everything, then nobody would have made it out alive. He would have anticipated Benjen coming and everything else. It's a band aid theory.

I basically stopped caring at the end of season 6, season 7 dragged me back in again, and now I'm back to not caring. It's turned into Hollywood action movie crap.
    Yeah that was some wildlings that died. If you notice them leaving Eastwatch there's like 4 or 5 guys behind the Big 7 who everyone expected to be fodder anyway. Davos stayed at Eastwatch with the rest of whatever is left of the wildlings.

As for the theory about the Night King knowing everything, it's not really as simple as that. We're learning through Bran that even though you can see everything, you can't control everything. Maybe this isn't what the Night King saw and he figured out how to get the dragons. Maybe his vision saw the dragons torching everyone and dying, so he fashioned those spears to kill them and didn't even know if it was going to work or not, or how many dragons he was going to get, or whatever.

All he knew was that the ice was going to freeze and the walkers were going to attack and then maybe some dragons would show up and maybe kill everyone, so he was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post
    Benjen is at least sort of explainable because when we last saw him, he said he would continue fighting for the living as long as he could -- presumably he goes around looking for white walkers and zombies to battle or delay their advance towards the wall (which would also explain why they haven't gotten there yet) but all of the white walkers are gathered in one place, so there's really nowhere else he should be. He also did not intercede when our heroes were surrounded because he's not a stupid man and realizes he would only die needlessly.
    I guess. It's more of how abrupt and out of place it felt, not so much that he made the save. A reunion between him and Jon being that quick just seemed so weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    This was not ridiculous. It was very good actually. Many assume Jon will be immune to fire because of his birthright, but I assume he will be immune to extreme cold, as we seen repeatedly from him. This was showing it clearly. Makes him a bit more clearly the ice to Dany's fire.
    I wonder if this is leading to Jon surviving an ice blast from UnViserion?

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest show of all time is Firefly, now and forever. Your profanity is not welcome here.

That said I cannot wait to see Seto's first duel with his blue eyes white dragon.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    With nothing from the show before suggesting that or much of the show for it to matter (I guess you'll have to tell me all the times he was immune to extreme cold, because I can't recall one instance of him having a Dany to heat like interaction with extreme temps), it was still ridiculous.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With nothing from the show before suggesting that or much of the show for it to matter (I guess you'll have to tell me all the times he was immune to extreme cold, because I can't recall one instance of him having a Dany to heat like interaction with extreme temps), it was still ridiculous.
    Yeah, I withdraw my earlier comment. I can't think of any instances either, and Jon almost immediately went into shock and nearly died because of falling into the water.

Thread Information