Thread: Game of Thrones

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    They've very much driven home the fact that the northern lords don't want a southern ruler anymore, not after all that's happened on this show and in the past. They don't trust the south no matter who is sitting the throne and even if Dany flew her dragons north and torched the white walkers they wouldn't settle for what they view as just another southerner/foreigner/tyrant ruler. They'd see her killing the white walkers as the right thing to do and many of them would still want their independence from the south.

Jon knows this because of his experiences with the very stubborn yet proud Wildlings and his more recent experience as KINGINDANORF. Hell, Dany even repeated back the line he said to Mance Rayder before he got torched by Stannis. "Isn't their survival more important than your pride?"
    Yeah; I don't see the North going back to a Southern Ruler.

I do think that the outlier in terms of who can potentially end up on the Throne if it's not Dany is Gendry.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what, everyone kills each other and Gendry rows up to an abandoned Red Keep and just sits down on the throne?

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what, everyone kills each other and Gendry rows up to an abandoned Red Keep and just sits down on the throne?
    I really hope not. I honestly think that would be the worst decision in TV history. There's a reason LOST keeps being bought up with this show. An epic show that destroyed all its credibility with their ending. GOT can NOT do that.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I'm just noting that two people have mentioned Gendry this week like he has any chance of showing up again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost was a tremendous show despite the third season and the final season being rough and the good seasons of GoT will remain good even if Qyburn ends up on the throne. I've also never heard LOST come up with GoT until now.

The ridiculous pressure on endings in tv makes it sound like the six hours of the final season are more important than the 67 that preceded it. Embrace the journey people.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I'm just noting that two people have mentioned Gendry this week like he has any chance of showing up again.
    Umm...

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard it a few times (the LOST/GOT comparison). LOST was such a huge show when it was going and it was just-watch TV. I do watch a lot of GOT reviews, though, so maybe the reviews I watch bring it up more often then stuff you read on it. I own every season of LOST on DVD and it was my favorite show of all time until it got destroyed by its ending. Shows finales are as important as anything in the show. It's just the finale is the last taste of the show you get. The endings of any story are huge. GOT better be as good as the series.

Also:

Spoiler

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Lost was a tremendous show despite the third season and the final season being rough and the good seasons of GoT will remain good even if Qyburn ends up on the throne. I've also never heard LOST come up with GoT until now.

The ridiculous pressure on endings in tv makes it sound like the six hours of the final season are more important than the 67 that preceded it. Embrace the journey people.
    I have to agree with Kid on this one. A bad ending can absolutely ruin the goodwill a show has built up.

Most extreme example I can think of is Quantum Leap. I was a HUGE fan of that show.......until the last episode. Now I refuse to ever watch it again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the shows built on the end I get it. I think Lost's failure is that they made it about answers, instead of "we don't know, they're just in a fucked up island" and let it be. Quantum Leap (and How I Met Your Mother) put the endgame in the opening credits of every episode.

I don't think GoT the show has been about THE end instead of servicing the season-long stories. Maybe the last few years, but the first three are pretty well-contained seasons.

The Wire, The Sopranos and Mad Men (and Breaking Bad if you're asking me) are all great shows with less than great finales. Not many people care about that now, because the shows were great.
    Last edited by mikec; 08-11-2017 at 11:18 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There I no way to finish any show well without it feeling to contrived.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to think of a good finale that doesn't feel contrived and am not having a lot of luck. The ones like The Sopranos and Mad Men I mentioned before are ones where the story just keeps on and not much happens, but they're also not great finales.

I reckon I don't mind writing with contrivances, as every show has them to some degree, I just don't want finales to be too contrived, which I would consider to be a contrivance that feels forced upon the story to make it better. The best finales of all time (My faves are Six Feet Under, Parks and Rec and The Leftovers) include some variation in writing structure that wasn't possible in every episode and contrive some of the plots for smiles, laughs, or heartache, but they still feel a believable part of the greater story.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I feel about the whole contrivance angle, is that sometimes things do factually turn out in ways that in fiction are chalked up to being contrived. Recently watched "Hacksaw Ridge" and read up on the true story afterwards, and evidently there was one final heroic act they left out of the movie entirely because Gibson thought the audience would find it too unbelievable. Just has to be a good ending.

Though I also agree that a bad ending can ruin a series, because even going back and watching the great bits, you'll always have that in the back of your head. Like Dexter, even the later not-as-great seasons I was an adamant supporter of, but after the finale, I really don't have much desire to re-watch the show. A bad finale is almost as bad, or even, worse than no finale. That being said, I can't imagine GoT doing anything so unbelievably bad that it completely tarnishes the series, unless Jon Snow fakes his death and becomes a lumberjack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be in the minority on this one, but I thought the Sopranos ending was brilliant. The Wire ended appropriately for the kind of show it was.

Breaking Bad's ending was alright, Gilligan clearly was playing it safe though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wire's final season was rough compared to the rest of the show. The season and series finale did what it could but it was too far gone.

I don't generally dislike the Sopranos finale, but don't consider it good either. Just another episode. And the last five minutes are awful for me. But good job bringing back Journey for a while.

The Breaking Bad finale was too much fan service for me. Walt getting revenge, getting some measure of forgiveness from his wife, getting her some leverage to free herself, and getting his money to his kids was too much good to happen to such a crummy human. Jesse riding off into the night only to surely be caught right after the cameras stop also blech. It's entertaining, but the old theory that he died in the car in the snow made a better story.

Heh the Dexter finale. That show had been awful for a while though. Literally they made every bad decision they could after Lithgow left.
    Last edited by mikec; 08-13-2017 at 03:16 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's actually kind of what I loved about the Breaking Bad finale, it was a series about Walt getting what he wanted, not caring who gets swept away in the process, and the sly little fucker did it to the very end. Sometimes, good things happen for bad people, not everybody gets their comeuppance.

I also thought Sopranos had a brilliant finale too, I'd have both in my top 5 (well, definitely top 10, have to really think, Sopranos might just miss 5).
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways, tonight's the night! Tonight is the night we find out a few more things.

Let's start by talking about the post-Loot Train Battle. From the trailer of tonight's episode, it seems Dany is talking to the surviving Lannister army soldiers and telling them to either bend the knee or die.... after she says she doesn't want to murder anyone. So the more important characters stuck in this mess are Jamie, Bronn, Dickon and Sams Dad. I doubt everyone escapes Danys wrath untouched. Since I'm still sold on Jamie killing Cersei, I doubt his story ends tonight. I'm also hoping Bronns story doesn't end tonight, but let's think with Dany logic. That "fucker" shot her baby, Drogon. Why would she spare his life? What mother would? I love Bronn and would hate for his story to end without us knowing his real life story. He finally gave up gold for his life as he retreated last week. Will tonight be his end? What role will Tyrion have in saving both Jamie and Bronns life? He owes both of them his life. Jamie for helping him escape and Bronn for being his Champion and saving his life. Will Tyrion, who is obviously feeling mixed emotions, get involved? I hope so.

My theory is Jamie is captured and held hostage as Tyrions plan to Dany will be to get Cersei to give up the throne in exchange for her brother/lover. The problem will arise when Cersei refuses and simultaneously breaks Jamie's heart. With a broken heart, Jamie's eyes will open to his monster of a sister and that'll be the beginning of the end for her. I don't know how Bronn escapes, though. As for Dickon and his father, I think Dickon survives but Sams dad refuses to bend the knee and gets killed. We shall see.

Then there's the White Walkers! The Brann/Crow/Whites scene from the season trailer seems to be happening in this episode. I don't think anything major will happen, but I am excited to see them on my TV screen again.

Will we get The Hound back on our screen? Even better, a reunion with him, Arya and Brienne?! That would be awesome. And Little Fingers days seem numbered. How will his downfall continue in this episode? Or will it?

So fucking amped. 3 more episodes left and they're all bound to be awesome!

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck yeah! Next week looks fucking sickkkkkkkkkk!

This week didn't have that much action, but still had some major things happen. The Tarlys got burnt to death. Poor Dickon. Sam won't even know. At least not for awhile. Speaking of Sam; where the hell is he going?! Was his chick about to tell Sam about Jon Snows birth origin? That's what I got out of that.

I hope Cersei doesn't plan to kill Bronn. She asked Jamie if he was going to punish Bronn and then dropped it. Cersei don't really drop shit. I also don't think she's pregnant. I think she's just trying to control Jamie better. Little cunt. She better not pull some shit on Dany, either. She's be dumb to. And Bronn, too. Leave Bronn alone, Cersei.

Then there's Jon Snow! What an All Star team he is going to the White Walkers with. Tormund. Jorah. The Hound and The Brotherhood. Some Wildlings. And yes, RT, Gendry the Bastard! What a squad and what a battle that's going to be! Next week looks fucking sickkkkkkk!

Also, the Arya and Littlefinger battle is about to go down. He's so getting cut with his own gift to Brann. It has to go down that way. No way he outsmarts Arya. Little champ.

They definitely slowed it down from last week. My only complaint is the ridiculousness of Jamie and Bronn ending up on the other side of the river during a war. I'll overlook it, though. The show is too damn good to nitpick things like that.

Next week, though. Winter comes!

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Fuck yeah! Next week looks fucking sickkkkkkkkkk!

This week didn't have that much action, but still had some major things happen. The Tarlys got burnt to death. Poor Dickon. Sam won't even know. At least not for awhile. Speaking of Sam; where the hell is he going?! Was his chick about to tell Sam about Jon Snows birth origin? That's what I got out of that.

I hope Cersei doesn't plan to kill Bronn. She asked Jamie if he was going to punish Bronn and then dropped it. Cersei don't really drop shit. I also don't think she's pregnant. I think she's just trying to control Jamie better. Little cunt. She better not pull some shit on Dany, either. She's be dumb to. And Bronn, too. Leave Bronn alone, Cersei.

Then there's Jon Snow! What an All Star team he is going to the White Walkers with. Tormund. Jorah. The Hound and The Brotherhood. Some Wildlings. And yes, RT, Gendry the Bastard! What a squad and what a battle that's going to be! Next week looks fucking sickkkkkkk!

Also, the Arya and Littlefinger battle is about to go down. He's so getting cut with his own gift to Brann. It has to go down that way. No way he outsmarts Arya. Little champ.

They definitely slowed it down from last week. My only complaint is the ridiculousness of Jamie and Bronn ending up on the other side of the river during a war. I'll overlook it, though. The show is too damn good to nitpick things like that.

Next week, though. Winter comes!
    He probably has already outsmarted Arya, but that doesn't mean he will live to enjoy it.

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lethal View Post
    Spoiler
    I was like, "God dammit Sam, just shut the fuck up for 10 more seconds." So not only is Jon Targaryen, but he's not even a bastard.

That's one hell of a squad though: Jon, Tormund, Gendry, Hound, Jorah, and the Brotherhood. Talk about a GoT super team, basically only missing Arya and Brienne. Tormund Giantsbane better not die before breaking himself off a piece of that sweet sweet Brienne.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read a theory that Jaime is the one that was prophesized to kill Cersei- because he just got her pregnant.

Death during childbirth seems almost too easy a way for Cersei to go out.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Reject Religion- music video set to "Pork and Beans" by Weezer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with LOST really was the final season just was too much of a stretch for people. You had a fucking lighthouse that no one seen before and a third group of people living on the island that no one ever encountered. It was like the final episode utterly broke the story of the show and made it so nothing before then mattered at all.

GOT really will have to go out of their way to make the same mistake. They set a map of how the show will end, and are following it now. Dragons on Westboro, White Walkers coming for the wall and a few contenders for the thrones. Wrap these up and the show ends well. No spoilers are really needed now for how this season will end. They are doing the wall. We seen it in the previews. That means final season then is about the throne. This means some people will meet who never have, and we will end with a new ruler. Does not seem hard to fuck this up.

Given how well received this season, I do not expect the show to end though, and expect spinoffs.

Anyway, the scene I assumed was happening this week, is next week. Next week should be crazy as fuck, then the finale of this season sounds utterly insane and should be the best episode done yet and easily surpass the first wall fight.

Jon linage I believe gets outright explained next episode.

Him and Drogon was nicely done. I do not even think it is so much of a heritage thing as an empathy thing. Same ways Tyrian was about to pet one.

Trailer for next week shows easily why I think reading spoilers ruin nothing. It is one thing to read Snow and crew going wight hunting but another to see it in action. One of the strongest parts of this show is how well it is shot. Jon and Drogon and was another beautiful scene. Also this show filmed fake scenes and I expect the one most hyped is fake.

For Cersei, I am fairly sure she is pregnant. But she is not young and under a lot of stress. I expect her to miscarry. Forgot about Maggy's prophecy, but it seems to be coming to pass. Cersei miscarries and Jamie puts her down. Now I see why the Jamie theory was so popular. Have to rethink my Ayra going to Kings Landing theory. Think maybe people are right gonna be a scene between her and the Hound that changes her.

Littlefinger signed his death warrant. Sansa has been around far more manipulative people as has Ayra. Setting the sisters against each other is suicide. I would be surprised if he is alive at the end of season, let alone next episode. He seems to forgot Bran saw right through him. To get rid of Ayra, he would also need to get rid of Bran first. Which if he did, Ayra would just kill him anyway.

The scenes of people wanting Sansa on the throne is exactly why I expect her to end on the throne.

As for the finale being more important than what comes before, screw that noise. The last season could completely blow and that will do nothing to take away from the prior seasons. Not sure why this is even a topic. Personally, I think they will deliver. Not everyone will be happy, but unlike many finales, I doubt everyone will be unhappy. And as I said before, this show is a goldmine that they are proven does not need the source material anymore, and may have been hindered by it, so I expect the show to continue anyway. Plenty of stories to tell and at least the story of the Doom would sell a show, plus what happens after this war ends should fuel another one. You do not take a world as rich as this and walk away.

Anyway, I did not expect much from this episode as I knew it would be moving people and shit. It was ok but nothing special. Scene I wanted to see, is next week, so super excited. Then there is the finale which we know is crazy. These two episodes should be among the best we seen. Only people who will be mad with them are the Freefolk, the most hyped spoiler I believe is the scene that guy who plays Snow said was a fake scene show to mess with leakers.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm...

Spoiler
    I'm really glad I didn't click this. I have worked really hard to avoid spoilers and had no idea Gendry would be coming back on the show. That came out of nowhere for me. I fucking marked out so hard when he grabbed the war hammer.

Great set up episode. The suspense next week is going to be insane. So much shit going down in these final two episodes.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lethal View Post
    He probably has already outsmarted Arya, but that doesn't mean he will live to enjoy it.

Spoiler
    Arya is totally going to confront Sansa, but I think she's smart enough to figure out that Littlefinger is conspiring against them. They set it up with Arya confronting Sansa about not sticking up for Jon in front of the lords, so the next step is her wondering just how much of Cersei/King's Landing rubbed off on Sansa. Whatever happens will be interesting, I just hope it isn't too heartbreaking. Littlefinger needs to eat a loss soon, damn it.

The Rhaegar thing was totally a set up for Sam to confirm Jon's lineage. Bran will reveal what he knows when he and Jon finally see each other, Jon will be like "yeah, k, sure bud," then Sam will show up with all the books and scrolls he stole, one of which being the log book Gilly was reading.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second to last episode for each season is always the big war, so I'm glad we're getting this shit next week. I don't know what to expect, but I'm starting to believe Engel read the spoilers. I keep reading the posts and they keep shouting out "I read the spoilers!" and it's kind of upsetting. I like innocence, like that of RT and the shock of Gendry.

Speaking of Gendry, looking at next weeks trailer, you see The Hound using his War Hammer against a White Walker. I wonder if that means Gendry dies OR maybe Gendry saves Hound by giving him a weapon to defend himself. It would suck if Hound, too, has a hammer and it would be weird for Gendry to die as soon as he returns. I also refuse to believe Hound dies during this. We must get CLEGANEBOWL!

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a strong episode.

They have now set up a way Cersei can win, the one on one with Dany will probably see her do something really dirty with the help of her creepy Maester, but something will happen to make it a bridge too far for Jamie to cross.
    You can see that Cersei is already starting to deeply trouble Jamie with her demands for Bronn's punishment.

Speaking of which, I am thinking they have set up an encounter for Bronn and his Sandsnake in the dungeon.
    Good chance he breaks her out.

I am at a point now where I really don't mind who sits on the Iron Throne as long as it is not Cersei.
    Good chance the Littlefinger bit is a double swerve and Arya knew she was meant to find the scroll and saw that he was watching.
    I thought the Sansa/Arya scene was a little forced, the way Arya walks back in the door and is laying into Sansa about wanting the throne.
    She definitely has more in common with Cersei than Jon and Danny, who really do sort of want to help the people.
    There has been no sign at all that she cares about the commoners.

Thread Information